• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

I finally got around to working on alchemy a bit. Bought the recipe for Potion of Deadly Grace, went out on the sky golem and farmed herbs for about 2 hours. Did heroic Court of Stars to get the 2-star recipe. Made about 60 potions before I got the 3-star recipe then made another 5 stacks. This was supposed to be hard?

It was never hard, it's just pure RNG. You got lucky. RIP my rank 3 attempts.

But, it was 860 ilevel and gave me less stats then my other trinkets.

Just to echo what others have said, this is likely the best trinket you've looted and is one of the most sought after in the game for a lot of classes and specs. It's probably the single best item you've looted. For Frost DK it's not BiS (AFAIK) but an 860 is probably going to be better than most other trinkets until 890ish or higher. For some other specs an 860 is better than almost everything until 910ish.

You can item restore it though. In game help -> Open a Ticket -> Gameplay - Items & Mail -> Item Restoration. Or just do it through the website.

Fjordson

Speak of the devil, I just got an 865 Arcanocrystal and it's simming way higher than my 900 Mark of Dargrul :lol

Edit: guessing part of that is MoD being a proc trinket, but the proc is pretty junky.

Lain

I got no arcanocrystal off Jim this week, but I got one of the Nightfallen emissary chests to cough up the fox mount quest item! Too bad I had all my followers on the 3 days mission already lol.

Tarazet

It was never hard, it's just pure RNG. You got lucky. RIP my rank 3 attempts.

Even without the 3 star proc, I made 3 stacks and I didn't even farm that much. Hell, I didn't even have 2 stars for most of the herbing. The only advantage I had was the Sky Golem so I don't have to dismount, and being a Tauren for the faster herb-picking. The amount of Blood of Sargeras you get picking herbs is pretty great too, I doubt there is much you can do to get them faster.

Corpekata

Banned
They nerfed Deadly Grace mats, you have flying, you have sky golem, you got an extremely lucky RNG proc. Why are ya acting like your experience is even remotely similar to someone making them even 2 months ago lol.

It's 860 but it's much stronger than its ilevel would have you believe. You can do an item restoration if it'd be an upgrade (Very likely given your gear level, though maybe post your armory and could let you know). For a lot of classes it's almost as good as a 900 even at 860, for example. Certainly better than a vast majority of trinkets regardless of ilevel.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/dalaran/darvobek

Theres my armory.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally got my challenge appearance on my Ele shaman last night.

The last 10% was a bit of a tight squeeze... I was getting hit hard by her + the other imps... but I decided to just focus her down. Another 5 seconds and it would've been another wipe.

I ran a Mr Robot simcraft on your character, versus Ursoc with standard rotation.

With your current gear, it hit 297013 DPS.

Replacing your lowest trinket with an 860 Arcanocrystal, it did 294923 DPS.

Keep in mind that he is a tank. There are other fringe benefits for secondary stats.

v1perz53

Man, I have the worst luck with legendaries. I really wish they were a bit more willing to iterate on this trash system they have going on... My Blood DK has been 110 for 2 resets now. I've done every single emissary quest, cleared the broken shore of WQs every day for turnins, done every raid on N and LFR, cleared every M0 both weeks and did a M +7 for a weekly chest last week. And I still don't have my FIRST legendary. Most people I know doing that much content get a legendary every 2 weeks, and that is like #9 or 10 or whatever, god damn FIRST legendary should come much quicker. Character just feels so weak running around with no legendaries, hard to get motivated to even play it.

Also fully expecting it to be some terrible garbage when it finally drops.

Fjordson

Yeah I hate the legendary system. And when you finally do get one it could be trash.

I've been playing my shaman since Legion's launch and out of the five legendaries I have only one has an equip bonus that helps my DPS (I'm enhance).

cdyhybrid

I like Legion as a whole but the tying ultra-RNG legendaries to maximum character potential and locking people into one spec via AP when Blizzard is notoriously unstable with class balance are probably the biggest issues with it.

The throughput legendary effects probably should have been artifact traits and/or obtainable via questline.

Moff

I still like the legendary system, it motivated me for months to do single player content

I absolutely do understand the frustration of raiding guild players with it, though, and they should have added a system to trade them in a long time ago

v1perz53

I still like the legendary system, it motivated me for months to do single player content

I absolutely do understand the frustration of raiding guild players with it, though, and they should have added a system to trade them in a long time ago

Honestly I don't mind the original idea of the system. I just think they were too stingy with it, and they obfuscated it too much. I think simply a bar to see your bad luck protection ticking up that would eventually hit max and you knew your next drop would be a legendary would've gone a long way to helping the "RNG bullshit" feeling, though I guess that could lead to unhealthy player behavior trying to "max the bar". That, combined with SOME way to target your legendary, even if that means destroying 2 to get one you pick, or literally any way to target what you want. And I just think they need to come in a little more frequently overall.

Another personal issue is the "oh a legendary just dropped, my motivation to run content/do emissaries has dropped to 0" aspect, even though I know I still should. Seeing a bar ticking upwards would help me with that personally. And alts are a big issue as well. Someone just hitting 110 now is so immensely behind, and they haven't REALLY done anything to speed up the time to legendaries that significantly, as evident by my Blood DK who has 0 after 2 weeks. Characters feel nearly unplayable without 2 legendaries, I almost feel like you should get a quest now at 110 for your first, and the 2nd and 3rd should have the current 1 and 2 drop rate respectively, or literally anything to help players catch up. Especially with how many they're adding each patch. Next patch, a Guardian druid will have 12 legendaries as possible drops for just their main spec, with literally 1 that is way better than the others. Even doing all content non-stop, it would take you half a year to get all of them for just one spec, let alone the other 3 specs you might want to play.

erawsd

I would've been totally fine with the legendary system if it had a deterministic element to it. Instead of "bad luck protection", I would rather have been collecting legendary justice badges that I could eventually turn in for the legendary I wanted to have.

They could have implemented that alongside an RPG system to maintain the "SURPRISE" element. Then if I opened an emissary chest and got a shitty legendary I wouldn't feel like I had just gotten screwed.. instead, it would've felt like a nice bonus that didnt get in the way of me working toward the legendary I really wanted.

cdyhybrid

I would've been totally fine with the legendary system if it had a deterministic element to it. Instead of "bad luck protection", I would rather have been collecting legendary justice badges that I could eventually turn in for the legendary I wanted to have.

They could have implemented that alongside an RPG system to maintain the "SURPRISE" element. Then if I opened an emissary chest and got a shitty legendary I wouldn't feel like I had just gotten screwed.. instead, it would've felt like a nice bonus that didnt get in the way of me working toward the legendary I really wanted.
Yep. The whole reason Diablo works is because you can readily target specific item slots with Blood Shards. Nether shards were supposed to be the WOW equivalent but the only viable way to get them is farming invasions - which only spawn once or twice a day and only at 3 in the fucking morning.

Nether shards need to drop from raids and M+.

TheYanger

Acherus Drapes...sorry for your loss.

Yeah Arcanocrystal would b e a big up over that crystalline scorpid trinket, that thing sucks. You can restore items with the help function in game, it's automated and easy. I would do it tbh.

Otherwise looks like you're on track, just keep gearin up in mythics/M+ where you can, run some LFR if you haven't (looks like you haven't), just for a change of pace/see some content (in severely nerfed form) and maybe get some ugprades. :)

Yep. The whole reason Diablo works is because you can readily target specific item slots with Blood Shards. Nether shards were supposed to be the WOW equivalent but the only viable way to get them is farming invasions - which only spawn once or twice a day and only at 3 in the fucking morning.

Nether shards need to drop from raids and M+.

Diablo also has TONS of legendaries that drop like candy, making it not a kick in the dick when you ge ta bad one. Being suboptimal is a huge part of diablo, but in WoW it feels terrible.

Mitch

Banned
This may be an unanswerable question, but is there any reason I am constantly declined when queueing for M+ on my ivll 891 Havoc DH? It isn't just 2-3 times a week, but upwards of 10 times every time I try to do a M+.

Pretty frustrating.

Fjordson

This may be an unanswerable question, but is there any reason I am constantly declined when queueing for M+ on my ivll 891 Havoc DH? It isn't just 2-3 times a week, but upwards of 10 times every time I try to do a M+.

Pretty frustrating.
If there's any chance you could actually use gear that drops from the raid or instance you're signing up for then you probably won't get invited tbh

Unless you make your own group, you have to be crazy overgeared when using group finder as DPS.

The whole system and the way people use it is kinda broken, but I'm not sure how Blizz can fix it. Lots of elitist douche bags out there and/or too many DPS so there's always a few that are way overqualified signing up for stuff. And naturally the person who makes a group is going to take the overqualified DPS before the qualified one.

Finally got my challenge appearance on my Ele shaman last night.

The last 10% was a bit of a tight squeeze... I was getting hit hard by her + the other imps... but I decided to just focus her down. Another 5 seconds and it would've been another wipe.

Keep in mind that he is a tank. There are other fringe benefits for secondary stats.

Tank?I'm a DPS

Tarazet

Pretty frustrating.

If you're trying to join groups that already have a tank or healer, then EVERYONE else looking at the list is going to be gunning for the same groups.. so they have a good chance at starting quickly. And the tanks and healers are going to hit those groups first too. So of course if you have a tank or a healer already, you're going to cherry pick your DPS knowing that you have a precious commodity.

It's like getting frustrated because someone won't let you cut in line.

That said, I usually have good luck getting into groups on my 900 Enhancement Shaman, both because of my item level and because the class has crazy utility with Purge, an AOE stun, Bloodlust and sprint totem among other goodies. My 890 Fire Mage doesn't get declined much either.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Pretty frustrating.

People are fishing for warforged, not trying to carry people to regular gear.

3 chesting is important for that goal

As for how to fix it, you would need to scale everyone to be equal, similar to challenge modes in WoD, but then the balancing would need to be adjusted probably for each mythic+ level

TheYanger

The honest best answer is to just join a carry group if you're not super geared, or to make your own group if you're trying to push higher (over 11-12) keys that carry groups usually don't run (not many of them anyway). If it's like, sub-10, I would always just look for a carry, it's not like you have to not try or anything if you get in one.

Mitch

Banned
These groups I'm trying to join are more times than not below +4-5. Not trying to join higher than that, since I know I don't meet the requirements.

Corpekata

Banned
Levelling my warrior alt finally, is there an addon that places markers for like the Skyhold teleports? I always forget exactly where they are (beyond being near towns).

Wouldn't mind something similar for Suramar and where all the portals spit out. About the only one I remember is Sanctum of order because of Arc/NH.

v1perz53

Pretty frustrating.

Are you actively getting declined or are you just not getting accepted? To clarify, when I post a group with me as a tank and my healer buddy for any Mythic+, I usually alt tab for a minute and when I come back I have 10-15 DPS applicants for my group, from ilvl 850 to 915. Obviously since I have no idea who does what, I'm just gonna take the highest 3 DPS ilvl wise, and everyone else doesn't get in, just a numbers game. But I think it sends a different message now for that? Used to just say you were declined when the group filled up. But if you're actively getting the message "your application to XX was declined", that's just craziness. I mean, if I list a +10 or higher where we need to fill a DPS slot, I'd take an 891 in a heartbeat, that's plenty high enough. I guess true pugs are just picky assholes.

I think one issue is that the "requirement" scales based on the ilvl you can get with no effort. A character in full 880 from nethershard gear plus 2 legendaries is pretty close to 890 I would assume, and it takes no effort or skill to get there, so I'm sure a lot of people invite 890 ilvl toons who are terrible, and the natural perception kicks in that you need more ilvl than that to be considered "good", since you've at least proved you can do harder content than soloing invasions. Not a good reason, mind you, but something that just gets naturally set by the community I guess.

Corpekata

Banned
The reason you're getting declined is simply because in a DPS role you'll pretty much always see 900+ for like everything. I tanked M0 mythics for a friend's Balance of Power questline, put no implication we were geared, demanding gear, or would run fast, just M0 for quests and had 903ish DPS queued within a few moments for all of them, and that was relatively late at night

Though I personally will scale back if it's easy content and I know I have DPS to make it easy already, because I know some 910 from Illidan is gonna be some asshole that runs ahead and pulls everything.

If you're a DPS, make friends or get in the organizing mood and form the group. That modicum of effort will get you a lot more done in the game than people think. Sure, you're gonna get in some Vault of The Wardens with like 3 DPS for 20 minutes sometimes, but the other times will balance it out.

If you're horde side and wanna do some easy to mid level content (10s I'd do with guild usually) hit me up at Corpekata#1618 on Bnet, I don't mind slotting a DPS into my groups that's chill. That is presuming we can group, I honestly have no idea about the grouping restrictions.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Levelling my warrior alt finally, is there an addon that places markers for like the Skyhold teleports? I always forget exactly where they are (beyond being near towns).
There's only like one town at most in the Legion zones. They are all located within spitting distance of the daily turn in for the zone with the exception of Azsuna, where it's located at Azurewing Repose.

Maybe it's perceived this way because you can just apply to 5 groups real quick and none of them go with you and that's some big concentrated seemingly negative feedback, but I don't really think it's that hard to pug appropriate M+ as a DPS.

---

It's probably not a great sign that most defenses of the legendary system boil down to "it's good in theory, but they are serious issues with how the entire system is implemented, the power level of the individual items and how they are acquired."

In other news I had a great sandwich for lunch. The bread was stale, the lettuce was wilting and the meat was sour, but I liked the idea.

Also I'm salty that I'm never going to get Luffa and finally be able to switch loot spec to Balance.

Pretty frustrating.

Let's say you start making your own M+ groups because of how frustrating you find getting into certain groups can be. Would you accept anyone below your ilvl? If you had other 890's applying, would you take anything lower in your group?

Tarazet

Let's say you start making your own M+ groups because of how frustrating you find getting into certain groups can be. Would you accept anyone below your ilvl? If you had other 890's applying, would you take anything lower in your group?

I've definitely noticed some DPS will help each other out, and just take whoever applies first. Then the tank joins, scans over the amount of hit points everyone has and leaves if it doesn't look tasty enough.

TheYanger

I mean, so I just got done doing the M+0 tour for the week, like not even 2.5 hours to do every mythic 0 including nightbane/kara, it's just not something you can do if you're accepting random people who sign up that aren't reasonably geared, but if you get people that are 910 plus it's trivial. There's no incentive for someone in my shoes to bring along someone that is worse (and whether you're good at the game or not, it's a fair indication to say you're going to do worse with 20 or 30 less ilevels). You're taking a 2.5 hour stomp worth 200-250 million AP and adding an extra 45-hour onto it just by doing that. Now, if we're doing like violet hold or something maybe it doesn't matter, but in most dungeons the difference is very tangible, sad to say.

It's not that people can't appreciate that these things were harder at those ilevels, it's that MOST people forming the groups are people that already did their time, so to speak, at that level, and aren't looking to repeat it just for fun. Making some friends goes a LOOOOONG way in this game, as anyone here that has a reasonable guild can probably attest. I could get a new toon to 110 tomorrow nighht and get carried through a half dozen M+ with friends and be fully geared that night, it's much more who you know than anything else.

mclem

Struggling with P3 of HC Gul'dan, and it's annoying, because we're so close. There's just one particular conjunction of abilities: Storm, then casting an eye before he moves towards where we'd run to, then a second eye, then another storm, and then Black Harvest, and in amongst all that (plus the various fires), it never feels like we have an opening to drain souls from the well.

But now as I type that, I wonder if it'd help to instead head back to Gul'dan after that storm, rather than changing sides, because he won't be doing the immediate teleport that's the entire reason for the change. So I guess I know what we're trying on Monday!

Did my first LFR. That was...easy. Like it was easier then heroic dungeons. Is that just a preview for the raid? What's the point of it? I only got items that were 25-50 ilevels below me.

Did my first LFR. That was...easy. Like it was easier then heroic dungeons. Is that just a preview for the raid? What's the point of it? I only got items that were 25-50 ilevels below me.
Yes, people often AFK through LFR. Its there to let people see the story and in theory introduce peopke to raiding. I think EN LFR even drops lower than heroic dungeons at this point.

Mitch

Banned
Yes. I've done this before.

In the past, I would take lower geared/experienced people to raids. I've been playing for a decade. When I was a complete newbie, I was treated with respect and people with more gear/experience always gave me a chance, so I learned to do the same.

I'm not saying I expect others to do this to me. Not entitled at all. Just curious. You guys gave out plenty of great explanations.

On the subject of having friends/reliable guild - They're long gone. WoD was the last straw for everyone. I found a decent spot in a guild earlier in Legion, but it seems like the entire guild is either taking a break until Tomb, or they all quit. Sure, I could go out and attempt to join a new group, but I don't play consistently enough anymore to warrant the effort. So in the end, I kinda rely on PUGs.

Earlier today while running, I was thinking it may be in my best interest to level up my Shaman and start healing again. DH has just been a lot of fun, plus most of my progress is there since I dropped my Priest. Alternatively, I could go back to my Priest and switch to Disc/Holy.

ThinFinn

Finally got Eli~!

Man, roster/attendance issues have really been a pain this tier.

Hopefully, we can get cutting edge before the ToS hits but I ain't holding my breath for it.

Also, anyone switching over the Stormblood next tier? :thinking:

Rizzi

My guild died during the middle of WoD, and now I'm stuck on a kind of empty server/group of servers or however server stuff is handled these days. Nobody talks to anyone, nobody even uses trade chat anymore. All my friends are long gone and never coming back. Not a whole lot of options there.

Mitch

Banned
My guild died during the middle of WoD, and now I'm stuck on a kind of empty server/group of servers or however server stuff is handled these days. Nobody talks to anyone, nobody even uses trade chat anymore. All my friends are long gone and never coming back. Not a whole lot of options there.
It's a real downer. In 2009 I joined Kil'jaeden and it was the absolute best server I had ever been on.

High pop
Balanced factions
Amazing raiding guilds
Even better PvP guilds (usually in the best raiding guilds)
World PvP all day every day
Actual community feeling
Active realm forum

Now it's just a husk. I see more people from Tich and Frostmourne these days.

Rizzi

I would say Bathilas is pretty decent? Well, not if you wana roll Ally, heh.

https://www.wowprogress.com/pve/us/barthilas

Frostmourne is defo still the oceanic king though.

I'm alliance. Also fuck pvp servers.
EKlQ238.png

Looks like I won't be flying until tomorrow. Stupid crack addict elves.

TheYanger

Heroic dungeons have been bumped up iun both difficulty and reward since launch, the earlier LFR wings have not. The point is just to 'see' the content because casuals used to complain that too much of the game was made that nobody would ever see. I think there's merit to that (Raids used to have a single difficulty, and the end of each expansion was generally tuned for 'hard as fucking shit' and far less than 1% of players ever finished them), today LFR just represents the literal 0 effort way to see like, the resolutions of the stories and whatnot. There are 3 other difficulties, and even the easiest of those is miles harder than LFR.

In LFR it's rare that there is even a mechanic that you have to do, if there is it usually ends up causing that boss to be impossible in lfr and eventually gets nerfed, that's how bad most of the wow population is at the game :p That's also why it drops poop gear, but Nighthold LFR would definitely have upgrades for you at this stage, and the AP is very good from any of them. High legendary chances too. I see you did the first wing of EN, yeah...that zone was easy even on mythic, but night and day. Illgynoth was a pretty tough boss, for example, but on lfr none of it matters. (To be fair, to a geared group none of it matters on mythic anymore either).

Tarazet

Heroic dungeons have been bumped up iun both difficulty and reward since launch, the earlier LFR wings have not. The point is just to 'see' the content because casuals used to complain that too much of the game was made that nobody would ever see. I think there's merit to that (Raids used to have a single difficulty, and the end of each expansion was generally tuned for 'hard as fucking shit' and far less than 1% of players ever finished them), today LFR just represents the literal 0 effort way to see like, the resolutions of the stories and whatnot. There are 3 other difficulties, and even the easiest of those is miles harder than LFR.

In LFR it's rare that there is even a mechanic that you have to do, if there is it usually ends up causing that boss to be impossible in lfr and eventually gets nerfed, that's how bad most of the wow population is at the game :p That's also why it drops poop gear, but Nighthold LFR would definitely have upgrades for you at this stage, and the AP is very good from any of them. High legendary chances too. I see you did the first wing of EN, yeah...that zone was easy even on mythic, but night and day. Illgynoth was a pretty tough boss, for example, but on lfr none of it matters. (To be fair, to a geared group none of it matters on mythic anymore either).

From the perspective of someone who isn't actively raiding, LFR is something that I will gladly do for a variety of reasons, but the gear is not one of them, at least in terms of item level. The trinkets that drop from raids are generally high quality, and some of the tier set bonuses are pretty amazing. On my Destro Lock I wouldn't want to be without the 2 piece. But if you have a lot of gear at higher item level then the set pieces become a lot less valuable.

Top Bottom