• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Something clicked, and I'm enjoying my warlock from MoP days again. Did the green fire quest, and got my artifact weapon as soon as I dinged level 98. I'm thinking I'll still finish up the majority of Wod zones, as it doesn't really matter what level I start Legion due to scaling.

Flying in both zones is sooooooooooo nice. Eventually I'll have to look up some guides and get some more interesting flying mounts.

Tarazet

I always forget Impending Doom is a totally viable pick over Improved Dreadstalkers on Mythic +, especially if its fortified and you have the belt. Comboed with Darkglare its huge

Impending Doom is weird though, because you get a bunch of Doom ticks going off at once, so you get a ton of imps, but they all focus fire whatever you hit first. So it's an AoE talent that boosts your single target more than multi-target, on fights like Harjatan or Sass'zine.

Flakster99

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say: Legion is the best wow expansion

It started out so darn well, and introduced several elements of gameplay and acquiring loot that I really enjoyed. From Mythic plus dungeons, Demon Hunters, Order Halls, Just a quality, solid expansion. Overall though, for me, I cannot agree. The rep grind is far to long, as is playing an alt, it's just not that fun, and the legendary system is a mess.

To put that into perspective I have max leveled just 2 characters, which is by far the fewest toons I max leveled in an expansion. From BC to WoD I leveled 7+ alts to max level and loved it. The reward structure is just off. MoP stands head and shoulders above Legion and for me is second to Wrath of the Lich King.

Tarazet

I don't even want to know how many stacks of Runescale Koi I threw at Nomi, still no 3-star Azshari Salad or Lavish Suramar Feast.

adversarial

Any of you guys PVP frequently?

Have my Warrior ready for 2s / 3s and a DK leveling up.

Never had a consistent group and I've normally kept to being a PVE Hero but would like to change that.

Nokterian

Something clicked, and I'm enjoying my warlock from MoP days again. Did the green fire quest, and got my artifact weapon as soon as I dinged level 98. I'm thinking I'll still finish up the majority of Wod zones, as it doesn't really matter what level I start Legion due to scaling.

Flying in both zones is sooooooooooo nice. Eventually I'll have to look up some guides and get some more interesting flying mounts.

Doing the green fire quest as well almost got my class mount.

Any of you guys PVP frequently?

Have my Warrior ready for 2s / 3s and a DK leveling up.

Never had a consistent group and I've normally kept to being a PVE Hero but would like to change that.

Got to 1660 or so in 3s this season mostly pugging with no voice (DH). Could easily push 1800 or higher with a more coordinated team.

----

In other news, been having fun with my Rogue lately. Got Mantle of the Master Assassin last night from a relinquished token, so now I'm in a pretty decent place legendary-wise. Still could use Bracers/Gloves/Cloak/Soul of the Shadowblade in roughly that order, using Insignia of Ravenholdt ring right now which isn't bad, but isn't necessarily ideal in any given situation either. Has the worst stats on it. Still some other bad ones I could get, but the 4 I mentioned I wouldn't really be upset with any of them.

But yeah, been gearing up the Rogue (~910ish now vs my 930+ DH) in case I need to switch from the DH for later progress or whatever, though I'm the only DH main raider in my guild (it's been that way for awhile), we've recently lost the last of our Rogues, going from 3 core Rogues a year ago starting the expansion. No one's really looking for DHs right now though, it's all about the Rogues for melee classes at least.

No luck getting a Convergence of Fates or Specter of Betrayal yet though. Definitely need to practice the Sub opener more too -- that's the most complicated bit. Once you get into the full rotation it's fairly rhythmic and predictable, its just having everything up at once makes things a bit crazy -- you have an absolute glut of resources.

cdyhybrid

Got to 1660 or so in 3s this season mostly pugging with no voice (DH). Could easily push 1800 or higher with a more coordinated team.

----

In other news, been having fun with my Rogue lately. Got Mantle of the Master Assassin last night from a relinquished token, so now I'm in a pretty decent place legendary-wise. Still could use Bracers/Gloves/Cloak/Soul of the Shadowblade in roughly that order, using Insignia of Ravenholdt ring right now which isn't bad, but isn't necessarily ideal in any given situation either. Has the worst stats on it. Still some other bad ones I could get, but the 4 I mentioned I wouldn't really be upset with any of them.

But yeah, been gearing up the Rogue (~910ish now vs my 930+ DH) in case I need to switch from the DH for later progress or whatever, though I'm the only DH main raider in my guild (it's been that way for awhile), we've recently lost the last of our Rogues, going from 3 core Rogues a year ago starting the expansion. No one's really looking for DHs right now though, it's all about the Rogues for melee classes at least.

No luck getting a Convergence of Fates or Specter of Betrayal yet though. Definitely need to practice the Sub opener more too -- that's the most complicated bit. Once you get into the full rotation it's fairly rhythmic and predictable, its just having everything up at once makes things a bit crazy -- you have an absolute glut of resources.
This is the guide I used to learn Sub:

https://subtlety.guide/guides/subtlety/

I also used an add-on called Aethys Rotation Helper or something until I got used to the flow of the spec.

Other than that just spend time on a dummy or something.

Doing the green fire quest as well almost got my class mount.

Green fire should be the default for Warlocks from level 1 (or a little quest at 10). It's so damn cool looking as destruction, and makes the class a little more unique. Other classes have fire, so let Warlocks have fel, without getting a lucky drop in MoP, or spending 50-150k on the AH.

Nokterian

Green fire should be the default for Warlocks from level 1 (or a little quest at 10). It's so damn cool looking as destruction, and makes the class a little more unique. Other classes have fire, so let Warlocks have fel, without getting a lucky drop in MoP, or spending 50-150k on the AH.

Spend 30k in the AH..worth it. I nearly got it back then two expansions ago but i failed wasn't proper geared and never got the unique title.

And yeah it does look cool for sure very happy with it now.

biaxident

To put that into perspective I have max leveled just 2 characters, which is by far the fewest toons I max leveled in an expansion. From BC to WoD I leveled 7+ alts to max level and loved it. The reward structure is just off. MoP stands head and shoulders above Legion and for me is second to Wrath of the Lich King.

The very start of legion was extremely alt-unfriendly, but now I think its one of the more alt friendly expansions ever. I have 8 110s compared to my normal 3 I max. In WoD I maxxed out 7 or so because there was nothing else to do in the game. I've leveled my last 5 characters through invasions mainly, its just too quick not to do it. Legion is constantly pumping out content, alts instantly are at ak40, getting concordance takes no time at all. Gearing up to 900 is extremely quick as well. My only gripes with alts still is the legendary system is utter trash and the followers take months to get ready for real missions (this is being fixed next patch).

This is the guide I used to learn Sub:

https://subtlety.guide/guides/subtlety/

I also used an add-on called Aethys Rotation Helper or something until I got used to the flow of the spec.

Other than that just spend time on a dummy or something.

Yeah, been to that site (still have it open in a tab right now.)

Might try the Aethys Rotation Helper addon as well, seen that recommended on there too.

-----

As for Legion stuffs:

It's not too, too bad for alts now, assuming you completed most all content on a main previously (e.g. unlocked flying, AK 40, etc.) Biggest issues as mentioned would be followers, particularly for those classes without work orders for equipment, and LEGENDARIES. After the first two, one legendary every two weeks give or take 3-5 days is simply not fast enough at this point, particularly starting from scratch. Especially since they're still pretty much complete RNG on what legendary you do get when you acquire one, outside of lucky timing on Nethershard gambling (as has happened to me in the past week.) Albeit in the case of my Warrior, I got Sephuz instead of Ayala's. If they don't add any new ones besides the Netherlight Crucible Quest ring in 7.3, it might be okay assuming there are more catchup mechanisms and/or more content/sources to acquire legendaries from. But right now, it's very difficult to take a fresh or lapsed character and get them capable for Mythic raiding due to legendaries. Most other gear can be carried through in some way if you have a willing support system. Just the legendaries are a big sticking point that might make 100-300k+ DPS difference (for example) if you're not rocking the correct ones.

----

My Outlaw rogue has Mantle and Insignia left (along with Shadowblade and the new cloak).

I've been using wrists and Sephuz since November (mostly due M+, rarely raid).

Legion will be my fav. Why? It's the one that got me to sub. I've never played Wow aside from a trial during WOTLK. I'm hopelessly addicted to this game.

erawsd

The very start of legion was extremely alt-unfriendly, but now I think its one of the more alt friendly expansions ever. I have 8 110s compared to my normal 3 I max. In WoD I maxxed out 7 or so because there was nothing else to do in the game. I've leveled my last 5 characters through invasions mainly, its just too quick not to do it. Legion is constantly pumping out content, alts instantly are at ak40, getting concordance takes no time at all. Gearing up to 900 is extremely quick as well. My only gripes with alts still is the legendary system is utter trash and the followers take months to get ready for real missions (this is being fixed next patch).

I'm playing less alts than I typically have in the past but its not necessarily because this expac has been unfriendly to them. Its because my main has been soaking up a lot more time. Previously, I'd pretty much just log in to raid and log out of my main for the week. In Legion the time I would have spent on alts has gone toward mythic+ and my renewed interest in pvp. I've even gotten back into making money so I can buy all the store mounts/pets.

Tarazet

I'm playing less alts than I typically have in the past but its not necessarily because this expac has been unfriendly to them. Its because my main has been soaking up a lot more time. Previously, I'd pretty much just log in to raid and log out of my main for the week. In Legion the time I would have spent on alts has gone toward mythic+ and my renewed interest in pvp. I've even gotten back into making money so I can buy all the store mounts/pets.

I've both played more alts and worked more intensively on my main.

The motivation to go through the artifact quest lines and unlock different appearances, plus the class mounts, is a tick in the alt friendly column. Plus the invasions. And the free AK40 plus Broken Shore gear makes it easy to catch up pretty quickly, provided you had a main character and put in the time.

The world quest emissary takes a lot less time than the ridiculous proliferation of daily quests in MoP, but the quantity of quests available gives you enough content to keep going for hours. The addition of shared mob-tapping together with world quests makes for a much better experience. If you play WoW primarily like a single-player RPG, you've never had more to do (in current content).

The tiered structure of dungeons is brilliant, there are a lot of them, they're fairly well designed, and there are a lot of quests to keep you going back to M+0 as well. It gives the people who like 5-mans a Diablo-like minigame with great rewards, though not as good as it was in previous patches.

I'm not as impressed with the raid content vis a vis Pandaria and Draenor, but I am playing a ranged DPS now where I had been tanking before, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison there. Artistically the raids have been gorgeous, it's just that the encounters are repetitive and uninspiring on LFR/normal. They save all the "fun" stuff for mythic.

Lain

I don't see all the random content in Legion as ever being able to become alt friendly (unless you have really, truly accomplished 100% of everything which is quite time consuming). An alt friendly atmosphere for me is when you can stop playing your main without feeling like you're missing out on something.

Legion to me is alt unfriendly because you can never stop that feeling (as a casual, dead guild playing player). Be it for random transmog appearances, be it for random mount drops, be it for random leg drops, be it for random recipe drops, playing an alt only means adding more chores to do to the daily session.

I brought 8 characters to 110 and I finally decided to stop paying my sub. 8 110 for me means 32 WQs every single day minimum to keep up on emissaries for leg chances, more if I skipped a day or two. Queues out of the ass to do LFR raids for leg chances and transmog drops and set items, more time spent trying to get rank drops that never do (fuck Nomi, fuck mining, fuck herbalism, skinning is strangely nice in giving those ranks). Lots of queue'ing for TW dungeons which broke me and the last WotLK TW I only did 1 character and said fuck it to the rest.

Obviously each person is different. Some won't get stuck obsessing behind certain aspects and 7.3 is going to ease up stuff even more with things like giving the 3rd relic slot right as you hit 110, making Legion feel more and more alt friendly to level and deck out a character.

Yam's

I'm glad that I always have something to do on my main for once in a mmo (it's the main reason I'm always quitting FF14 after a month). I'm still checking my alts stories but I have no plan on gearing them like my main. The game provides enough catch-up mechanics for seeing the most important stuff.

I have a lot of alts, but I don't worry about more than one or two at a time. Don't get obsessive over it. Hell, after hitting all the mainspec legendaries on my DH, I don't even really bother with emissaries all that often.

WELL:

1mPH20j.jpg

That was like a 2 day turnaround on legendaries for my Rogue.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The gamescom schedule (and site) should hopefully be published in a few hours.

Entropia

No One Remembers
WELL:

1mPH20j.jpg

That was like a 2 day turnaround on legendaries for my Rogue.

NIce!

My rogue and warlock both got one fairly quickly... (Warlock was within 15 minutes of me being 110!)... but the well dried up and nothing since :(

For 110's I'm now at:
Shaman - 10 legendaries
Demon Hunter - 0 legendaries
Paladin - 4 legendaries
Monk - 2 legendaries
Hunter - 0 legendaries
Mage - 0 legendaries
Warlock - 1 legendary
Rogue - 1 legendary
Druid - 0 legendaries

Of those, I've only finished the Shaman, Paladin, and Demon Hunter Legionfall quests for their mount.

I have a 100 Priest and Warrior kicking around that I'll get to at some point. DK not too sure when that will happen, I don't have any leveled past 65'ish.

Moff

I finally got the firemage belt, so I have the 2 best legs now.
I am a casual, though, so I don't really care much about performance, what I like most about the good legendaries is that they change your rotation, and the firemage bracers and belt do that in very cool ways.

Im at 110 with Warlock, Monk, Rogue and Demon Hunter. All the class halls done. Death Knight is 101, getting up there. Warrior is at 76 and Druid 65 so they are probably next

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some minor news regarding Blizzard's activities at gamescom 2017

Today Koelnmesse released a document regarding Events for journalists. The 2015 version of this document confirmed their press conference at gamescom 2015. The mention looked like this:

Konrad-Adenauer Saal (Congress-Centre North)
12:00 Uhr
12:00 a.m.
Pressekonferenz Blizzard Entertainment - nur auf Einladung
Press conference Blizzard Entertainment - by invitation only
The 2017 version of this document has no mention of a press conference by Blizzard. While this does not mean a new World of Warcraft expansion set won't premiere at gamescom 2017, I find this revelation a bit disheartening.

Blizzard's own schedule is not out yet though, so hopefully that will clear things up once it has been published.

I mean, expansion announcement most likely is coming at Blizzcon. I don't know what people are expecting. Legion being announced at Gamescon was more the exception to the rule.

Just got a quest to pop up when I teleported to Dalaran where Magni Bronzebeard tells me to come to Sholazar Basin in Northerend called "Whispers of a Frightened World"

Argus must be very close

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just got a quest to pop up when I teleported to Dalaran where Magni Bronzebeard tells me to come to Sholazar Basin in Northerend called "Whispers of a Frightened World"

Argus must be very close
It's speculated patch 7.3 will be deployed on live servers on August 29.

Is there any in game lore dump about Magni and Azeroth being a sleeping Titan or is it just all from Chronicle? Because if people didn't read Chronicle I could imagine them being confused

I might be in the minority but I prefer the normal look of fire.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is there any in game lore dump about Magni and Azeroth being a sleeping Titan or is it just all from Chronicle? Because if people didn't read Chronicle I could imagine them being confused

The pre-legion quests with Magni go into it, I think that's the first time it is made explicit in-game that Azeroth is a babby titan.

Shouldn't be too bad, honestly.

I got my first Darguul kill in Nel's last night and I got that half. I don't think I've done Vault yet on my rogue, so we'll see when/if I do that.
I hate you. Those bindings don't exist.

Not that it matters anyway since TF is half in the ground on my Dwarf.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Magni explains it in the pre-Legion scenario doesn't he?

The pre-legion quests with Magni go into it, I think that's the first time it is made explicit in-game that Azeroth is a babby titan.

Magni straight up says "She's a titan!" in the scenario.

34wyVfl.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
NIce!

My rogue and warlock both got one fairly quickly... (Warlock was within 15 minutes of me being 110!)... but the well dried up and nothing since :(

For 110's I'm now at:
Shaman - 10 legendaries
Demon Hunter - 0 legendaries
Paladin - 4 legendaries
Monk - 2 legendaries
Hunter - 0 legendaries
Mage - 0 legendaries
Warlock - 1 legendary
Rogue - 1 legendary
Druid - 0 legendaries

Of those, I've only finished the Shaman, Paladin, and Demon Hunter Legionfall quests for their mount.

I have a 100 Priest and Warrior kicking around that I'll get to at some point. DK not too sure when that will happen, I don't have any leveled past 65'ish.

I'm not even really sure what I'm supposed to be doing to farm Legendaries...I only have 5 on my main.

Tarazet

I don't see all the random content in Legion as ever being able to become alt friendly (unless you have really, truly accomplished 100% of everything which is quite time consuming). An alt friendly atmosphere for me is when you can stop playing your main without feeling like you're missing out on something.

Legion to me is alt unfriendly because you can never stop that feeling (as a casual, dead guild playing player). Be it for random transmog appearances, be it for random mount drops, be it for random leg drops, be it for random recipe drops, playing an alt only means adding more chores to do to the daily session.

I mean.. yeah, there is a lot to do even for one character. But beforehand, I felt like any fresh 110 alt was handicapped, and would never reach the level of my main. I leveled my warlock from 100 to 110 in June, and he has now far surpassed the shaman that I played at the start of Legion. I've still been dicking around with other alts too, because I just simply don't care to do absolutely everything. I look at what the options are for progression and pick the interesting ones. If I exhaust them, then I wait until the next time-gate opens.

I'm not even really sure what I'm supposed to be doing to farm Legendaries...I only have 5 on my main.

Only play your main, run raids til you've locked everything out, run M+ a couple of times every night, clear WQ's and caches, basically exhaust everything you can do on one toon, for weeks and months on end.

Any end-game activity in Legion has a chance at dropping a Legendary, I've gotten one off of a Wyrmtongue chest, people get them from Blingtron gifts, but running raids and M+ provides you with the greatest chance of getting one.

Angry Grimace

Only play your main, run raids til you've locked everything out, run M+ a couple of times every night, clear WQ's and caches, basically exhaust everything you can do on one toon, for weeks and months on end.

How about "fuck that shit?"

I'm doing the regular raid, M+ a couple of times a week, LFR on an alt and doing the emissary boxes if I happen to get bored. I'll just deal with Death March + Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish. I don't think those are that bad anyways.

I did not realize how much work is involved to obtain flying. Never got it in WoD so it's kinda confusing. I wish it was just a quest chain to follow rather than looking up guides on the internet. Just about to start tonight. :(

Came back and got the new legendary ring on my Monk in the Cathedral Dungeon on heroic. I read its bottom of the barrel for mistweavers but I guess its better than nothing.

iirate

You really don't need to do this. I rerolled in January, I don't do lfr, I barely run dungeons(including mythic+), I do WQs but not religiously, and I have 13 legendaries. I've been able to do 2/3 of my mage tower challenges as someone who raids normal 4 hours a week. I have plenty of alts that I enjoy casually as well, and I've never been happier playing WoW. You do not need to make yourself hate the game to enjoy Legion.

Robin64

Trial of Style starts tomorrow. Micro-holiday about dressing up to themes, posing on stage, and winning tokens for cosmetic gear.

Also if you missed the ghost moose mount, it's back up in this week's Archaeology quest.

Top Bottom