• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Isn't that what that one guy said who was supposedly a blizzard employee

Also I didn't know they stuck the BC additions to Azeroth on the same map as Outland. Thought they were on the same one as ghost lands on a different one than Outland

Make me a Blizzard employee I'll turn this ship around!

Ghostlands are also on TBC map, that's why you need to go through a portal to leave it.

Tarazet

Did that so long ago. Sometimes I log on a character that's still in Trade and I very very quickly /leave 2.

I haven't read chat in years, but I'm actually set to block invites, hide whispers and everything after some particularly poisonous encounters in pug raids (not LFR).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Isn't it a solo game already? Compared to the good old days I have 0 contact with people.

Yeah, I can't speak for raids, but every dungeon or WQ elite groups I've joined, people are silent 99% of the time unless something goes wrong. And if something does go wrong, it's not the kind of chat I want to participate in, so I stay quiet.

Pretty much solo, yeah. Chat channels are worse than they ever were, almost to the point that it makes me miss old Barrens chat.

I was doing Maw of Souls the other day, and the tank just dragged everything, fuck the classes that need to stand still a full 2 seconds to possibly get any enjoyment out of it. He clicked on the horn after the first boss before anyone had a chance to even loot the boss. I called him on it, and the response was some "get in ur mail later" or some shit. OK...or..OR, you could wait 5 seconds for everyone else, you know, a shorter time than it took to reply to me.

Because I'm an idiot, I still try to help out others in game, like if they're in trouble I'll join the fight....only to then see them run off and gather/loot/leave, with me having to fight all the mobs then. The only time I see some nice teamwork (outside of dungeons where you have to work together unless the tank is way overgeared) is when I spec blood for invasion points. I just go gather up enemies, and let others have their AOE fun. People still go in there and don't turn off pet taunts and the like...which is fine 95% of the time, but funny with those bosses that do some sort of area damage (lava, ground spikes that cast like a fel lightning, etc). I'm trying to taunt the boss to a safe area, and all the pets ruin that. :)

lazygecko

Isn't it a solo game already? Compared to the good old days I have 0 contact with people.

The game no longer encourages you to actively interact and foster relationships with people inside the actual game. But then, that problem is not something specific to WoW or MMOs, but rather is the mantra of modern multiplayer gaming as a whole with how the design has changed in the last 10 years, primarily fueled from the console business. Multiplayer games on average these days seem to be made with the notion that you're going to be playing them with your own pre-existing clique of friends, and the "filler" outside of that is made up of the completely fleeting random encounters facilitated by automated matchmaking. Multiplayer games are no longer viewed as platforms for facilitating communities themselves.

Adaren

Think you could add a cooldown tracker for hand/light of the protector as well? It's my favorite thing about protadins since it lets me off-heal very effectively in both PvE and PvP.

Just uploaded the new version! Since I don't have the 2 charge LotP helm, I had to get a guildie to do the testing for me lol.

Working on the addon has inspired me to clean up my Prot Pally. Maybe I'll end up maining her for Antorus.

Yeah there's been some nice looks

Yeah, and it saved me the pain of having to farm lfrs for god knows how long until I completed sets. I really like the Demon Hunter pvp set from season 4 I think the red and yellow one is Blood Elf colors looks neat.

Pretty much solo, yeah. Chat channels are worse than they ever were, almost to the point that it makes me miss old Barrens chat.

I was doing Maw of Souls the other day, and the tank just dragged everything, fuck the classes that need to stand still a full 2 seconds to possibly get any enjoyment out of it. He clicked on the horn after the first boss before anyone had a chance to even loot the boss. I called him on it, and the response was some "get in ur mail later" or some shit. OK...or..OR, you could wait 5 seconds for everyone else, you know, a shorter time than it took to reply to me.

Because I'm an idiot, I still try to help out others in game, like if they're in trouble I'll join the fight....only to then see them run off and gather/loot/leave, with me having to fight all the mobs then. The only time I see some nice teamwork (outside of dungeons where you have to work together unless the tank is way overgeared) is when I spec blood for invasion points. I just go gather up enemies, and let others have their AOE fun. People still go in there and don't turn off pet taunts and the like...which is fine 95% of the time, but funny with those bosses that do some sort of area damage (lava, ground spikes that cast like a fel lightning, etc). I'm trying to taunt the boss to a safe area, and all the pets ruin that. :)
Barrens chat was just good old fashioned shitposting and vitriol. Modern trade chat is straight up white supremacy propaganda. It's legit depressing.

Yeah, trade chat is straight up white supremacy it's disgusting and Blizzard won't do anything to anyone because their 15 dollars is worth just as much as ours. I remember in the Burning Crusade I got an account strike for saying piss and bypassing the chat filter I wish I'd kept that email. I have all my chats except Gchat turned off I turn off whispers when I do bgs because of hate mail and people calling me slurs for my dps sucking when I'm the one who just capped 3 flags I hit prestige 2 on my druid and I'll never pvp again now that I know you can buy gladiator appearances with marks of honor.

Adaren

Just got Saruan's Resolve on my Prot Pally. Insanely lucky.

Also, the Legion Invasions seem like they're really good for Legendary farming. I've gotten two Legendaries in there so far, and both were "ahead of schedule" based on when I expected bad luck protection to kick in.

I completed the windwalker challenge tonight. For one a challenge that is supposedly easy I had a heck of a time with it. But I didn't have either of the "ideal" legendaries (Prydaz, Sephuz) so that probably contributed to the difficulty.

Also, it's a shame about how badly it clips. I think it's one of the nicest looking challenge appearances.

nC4Z0ff.jpg

I haven't read chat in years, but I'm actually set to block invites, hide whispers and everything after some particularly poisonous encounters in pug raids (not LFR).

How, is this an option in Social or are you just dragging the whispers into a separate tab? Literally the only whispers I get are from those blind invite guilds, which is either a ghost town or like carrying trade chat with you wherever you go, which no sane person should want to join or super toxic assholes you would never want to interact with in the first place.

How, is this an option in Social or are you just dragging the whispers into a separate tab? Literally the only whispers I get are from those blind invite guilds, which is either a ghost town or like carrying trade chat with you wherever you go, which no sane person should want to join or super toxic assholes you would never want to interact with in the first place.

You can do it in chat settings just click on the chat window and it'll show what options you can turn off. I joined a guild and left after two hours I hate the WoW community I really do everyone is such a wannabe troll and anytime you say you dislike something some neckbeard buts in with le triggered!

Tarazet

You can do it in chat settings just click on the chat window and it'll show what options you can turn off. I joined a guild and left after two hours I hate the WoW community I really do everyone is such a wannabe troll and anytime you say you dislike something some neckbeard buts in with le triggered!

And they're elitist fucks who think that anyone with less raid progression than them is a disposable baddie. No room for casuals who play the game for the enjoyment of it and want to do a pick-up raid once in a blue moon.

And they're elitist fucks who think that anyone with less raid progression than them is a disposable baddie. No room for casuals who play the game for the enjoyment of it and want to do a pick-up raid once in a blue moon.

That's what made doing Balance of Power so awful. I would get kicked over the dumbest things, liking taking too much damage during an encounter. I didn't die and quickly recovered but that wasn't good enough. And that's just an example.

I wouldn't mind going through that quest line again but the thought of having to deal with people like that makes me change my mind. Out of curiosity I checked for Emerald Nightmare and Nighthold groups and, of course, almost every group has stupid requirements like 920+ ilevel and so on. I mean, it's not hard to meet that particular requirement now that it's possible to gear up on Argus but I see that as a sign of bad things to come. If they want that much gear for an old raid then chances are a person will get kicked for whatever reason the raid leader has in mind.

Micapo

Do all of you that have horrible experiences from trade chat play on US servers?

I've played off and on since 2005 (on EU servers) and experienced barrens chat (Where's Manriks wife and of course quite a bit of trolling) and there really isn't that much shit posting in trade besides ocassionally someone blurting out: Did anyone say Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker or the old (and horrible) anal (link achievement here) and then people trying to be clever and typing the same shit others have been doing for years but nothing like what you guys describe.

Also I'm in a very nice and friendly guild where people chat about normal stuff and show pictures of their cats and dogs and some memes on the guild discord.

Just a couple a days ago when playing my prot paladin a random player (from another server) whispered me something like: A tauren on a horse, well I never to which I replyed gotta go all in on the RP or something of the likes. He then said: I can respect that and we chatted for a bit and wished each other a nice day and that was that.

Am I just lucky or might it have something to do with playing on a small server?

Hopefully I don't have to experience what you guys do.

iirate

I completed the windwalker challenge tonight. For one a challenge that is supposedly easy I had a heck of a time with it. But I didn't have either of the "ideal" legendaries (Prydaz, Sephuz) so that probably contributed to the difficulty.

Also, it's a shame about how badly it clips. I think it's one of the nicest looking challenge appearances.

nC4Z0ff.jpg

I race changed from female night elf to draenei when I got these because they clipped so badly.

God forbid you just wanna do lfr or pvp and collect armor appearances you're just le trash food for ze neckbeard overlords. I uninstalled today I'd rather play fighting games for pvp which are 100 times as competitive but at least people are decent to each other. It's gotten to where when I do a random mythic I just hope no one says anything because I don't wanna deal with some toxic little shitbag.

I'm a pretty deliberate tank because of when I started and I don't ever go full speed. I never have healers or casters giving me shit, it's usually the hunter or another melee class. I've heard from my wife so many times that her AoE requires right grouping and no movement so I grab shit and then stand still. Don't get why that's so hard for so many people.

TheYanger

I'm a pretty deliberate tank because of when I started and I don't ever go full speed. I never have healers or casters giving me shit, it's usually the hunter or another melee class. I've heard from my wife so many times that her AoE requires right grouping and no movement so I grab shit and then stand still. Don't get why that's so hard for so many people.

It's not 'hard' - it's slow. In a dungeon 90% of the time I'm doing the top damage even as a tank, and almost no class needs you to stand still to keep doing AOE, certainly not to the point that it's faster to do that just for one person in your group.

In a hard dungeon for your gear? like a high M+ push? absolutely you're not going to be just running full steam ahead at all times, but if I'm queueing a heroic dungeon I'm going to never stop until we hit a boss. Most people are in the same shoes. It's not like that's intentionally rude or anything, it's just the reality of the situation. Most people are much happier to be done in 6 minutes than in 10.

Savitar

I look forward to the in game joke that Jaina must be a Dreadlord to send you on a quest to sort through some poop for a mystical amulet.

TWIST

She did it because she heard you make the dreadlord joke and fooled you into sorting through poop.

It's not 'hard' - it's slow. In a dungeon 90% of the time I'm doing the top damage even as a tank, and almost no class needs you to stand still to keep doing AOE, certainly not to the point that it's faster to do that just for one person in your group.

In a hard dungeon for your gear? like a high M+ push? absolutely you're not going to be just running full steam ahead at all times, but if I'm queueing a heroic dungeon I'm going to never stop until we hit a boss. Most people are in the same shoes. It's not like that's intentionally rude or anything, it's just the reality of the situation. Most people are much happier to be done in 6 minutes than in 10.

What you're describing is a bit different than the Ricky Bobby mother fuckers giving shit to the guy I was responding to. Not running around like a bull in a china shop isn't hard.

If you're just doing a heroic and you're in Tomb Gear? Then yeah, run the fuck around because it's child's play, but I don't run heroics because I have tomb gear. I do higher end mythic plus runs. Charging ahead like an asshole just makes it harder for everyone.

940 Drape of Shame on my bear druid that I rarely heal on.

What you're describing is a bit different than the Ricky Bobby mother fuckers giving shit to the guy I was responding to. Not running around like a bull in a china shop isn't hard.

If you're just doing a heroic and you're in Tomb Gear? Then yeah, run the fuck around because it's child's play, but I don't run heroics because I have tomb gear. I do higher end mythic plus runs. Charging ahead like an asshole just makes it harder for everyone.

RandomSeed said the player replied with "you'll get it in the mail" which I agree can be annoying, but I don't know if that counts as giving someone shit. It sounds like they did the standard big pull in Maw that you do even in decently high keys as long as the affixes don't prevent it (I honestly think they added Explosive and Bursting because of Maw pulls). I don't think that's really an abusive or mean thing to do either, it's just the common way to do that pull if you're capable of it.

Not discounting that being a negative experience for RandomSeed. I can see that being annoying especially if you dismount before the bridge and are trying to play catch up or drop ravager or something on those first two mobs. I usually say something along the lines of "big pull" if I'm running with people that might not be familiar with how we are handling it.

I usually say something along the lines of "big pull" if I'm running with people that might not be familiar with how we are handling it.

That honestly would have been enough for me. Zero communication usually. Not giving people 5 seconds to loot a boss, even if it does go to mail, is stupid on the extreme side, though. IMO

lazygecko

Wasted ~80K on the Enchanted Thorium chest and legs. Kinda cheap still compared to what sets like Jade are going for, in spite of being much rarer (it's only craftable by pre-Cata blacksmith chars who bothered to learn the recipes while they still existed). I was also lucky enough to find the rare mob patroling Terokkar who drops the matching boots. I haven't found any real matching gloves for the set though.

k6afSDV.jpg

Top Bottom