• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft returns to growth with over roughly 7 million players

Hudo

Haven’t played in years, but late Classic to end of Wrath was my favourite ever period of gaming.

WoW absolutely consumed me. Tapped out in Cata.
Yeah, was the same for me as well.

Although, I had a brief (1 month) stint when Legion came out because I was just interested in the Demon Hunter class.

Shut0wen

Interesting that there aren't any rumors about a full-blown sequel. The engine and the entire platform are very old at this point.
Dont think they could even create an engine good enough, sure the game looks like shite but the things blizzard has pulled off with it is amazing

Cyberpunkd

but the things blizzard has pulled off with it is amazing
Not really, but they iterated for almost 20 years now. The original launch of WoW was so big of a distaster, they were desperately trying to increase server numbers. Even up to Cata I think a regular queue of hundreds of people on the busiest servers was a regular occurence e.g. Burning Legion EU had a 2 hour wait after 6pm each day of the week, the whole day on the weekend. Nowadays it would not have been acceptable.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I've played WoW since beta, still remains my most played game ever. I forget how many days of /played I have but it's an appallingly large number.

Some of my favorite gaming memories are from WoW, especially WotLK's storyline, although I have to give a biased nod to Legion as my favorite expansion, since that's when I worked at Blizzard and was there when it launched hah. Great expansion with a lot of awesome moments. Definitely didn't like Battle for Azeroth that much, dont' hate it, just didnt' like it that well. Shadowlands was merely ok. The Jailer was neat, but some of the design decisions really were bizarre (no mounts in The Maw (except ones you unlock) I'm looking at you).

Dragonflight is most certainly a step in the right direction. I mostly log in nowadays to go fish and work on faction rep, and to work on getting even more mounts.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Do you need to buy them all or does the latest bundle come with them?
Buy War Within and the Sub and I think you get all previous expansions with it. Also you can play Wrath Classic and Vanilla Classic.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Buy War Within and the Sub and I think you get all previous expansions with it. Also you can play Wrath Classic and Vanilla Classic.
Was taking a look at the hardware requirements and they seem to have soared. 128 gigs of storage and 16 gigs of ram for recommended seems really high for a 20 year old game. Did they redo the engine or something?

I’m intrigued as I tried wow years ago but couldn’t get over the subscription bump as I was in school.

Mortisfacio

While I have many issues with Blizzard/WoW, I always have to give credit to WoW's art team. The environments are about the only aspect of this game in 20 years I don't think I've ever heard/seen much negativity of.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It already has native controller support. You can do pretty much anything bar cutting edge PvE or PvP content, but only a tiny fraction of the player base bothers with that.

I can see it working on console, controller support and M+KB for the harder activities. It will require mod support on consoles, but that can be done as well.
WAT? Where?? I only saw an addon for this.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Just type /Console GamePadEnable 1. It works well enough.
Will try to see.

Well enough? Picking targets on a Raid, Skills like Heroic leap or Blizzard were a pain with controller last time I tried. Not mentioning interface/inventory managenmment.

Mortisfacio

Will try to see.

Well enough? Picking targets on a Raid, Skills like Heroic leap or Blizzard were a pain with controller last time I tried. Not mentioning interface/inventory managenmment.

It's way less than ideal from what I've used and I'd never use it if KBM is an option. It does, however, work great for the limited time Plunderstorm event going on since there's only 7 actionbar abilities and nearly all combat is directional rather than target based. Those that are, autotargetting is built into the mode so it's pretty simple. My son likes the controller in this mode, but I still make him use KBM for now to get used to those controls (he wants to play The War Within with me).

Kataploom

Gold Member
It already has native controller support. You can do pretty much anything bar cutting edge PvE or PvP content, but only a tiny fraction of the player base bothers with that.

I can see it working on console, controller support and M+KB for the harder activities. It will require mod support on consoles, but that can be done as well.
Wait WHAT? Last time I tried playing WoW I wasn't comfortable with how camera worked, honestly didn't remember having to click so much just to move the camera, I should give it a try. When you say "cutting edge" do you mean just going to latest raids or something even more hardcore?

Deerock71

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

Top Bottom