• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World War II |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberon

Banned
This seems like the right thread to ask this.
I have to make a presentation at school about the confilicts between Japan and China ( and other asian countries) and their consequences today.
Any usefull links to this subject? ( I would usually not ask for something like this, but my school library has unfortunatly no books about this subject)

xenist

I have to make a presentation at school about the confilicts between Japan and China ( and other asian countries) and their consequences today.
Any usefull links to this subject? ( I would usually not ask for something like this, but my school library has unfortunatly no books about this subject)

I know that hating reddit is a thing here but I'd suggest you going to the r/askhistorians subreddit and searching there for discussions on this. If you can't find what you're looking for, make a thread. Most answers will even have their sources listed.

jambo

Started watching The World At War a few nights ago, up to episode 7. Amazing documentary, although I'm not too keen on the Blu-ray edition being zoomed in to 16:9 =\

What do you mean?

EDIT: I think you meant if I am a neo-nazi? So no, I'm not. I'm an historian.

That is not at all what he meant.

Re-enactment and living history societies are the people who dress up in period clothing to re-enact battles as a form of historical education and awareness.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean?

EDIT: I think you meant if I am a neo-nazi? So no, I'm not. I'm an historian.

No. That's not what I meant at all.

Reenacting and Living Historical Associations are groups of people who study, collect, and reenact battles from different wars for the public.

Edit: beaten.

Piano

Banned
This may be sort of tangential to the topic of this thread, but does anyone know of any good books about day-to-day life in Nazi Germany, or things from the perspective of ordinary people? I find that these sorts of accounts are often the most fascinating to me, as you can relate to them as people instead of just facts and figures.

Bit late, but Retribution The Battle For Japan, is quite handy on this subject, and the authors book about the Korean war goes into detail about it as well.

And for the person above me, theres a really good episode of the world at war on Germany 1940-1944, and Armageddon 1944-1945 has a few chapters on it.

Liljagare

The germans heavily relied on Chrystal Meth, the Brit's on Benzedrine (some troops were allowed to take as much as they wanted when needed).

Against Rommel the drug Benzedrine won the day, as the amped soldiers managed to keep pushing without sleeping.

At Leningrad the Germans ran into problems because they hit the long term use effects of their drug of choice, and the stall of the offensive can largely be attributed to soldiers wanting to sleep.

Anyone got some more good sources to check out about this facet of the war?

I have read about it earlier, but I don't think I ever read about how integral drugs were in the war effort for entire armies. Always liked reading about this war, so many twists and turns.

The entire Hitler youth were given Meth to stay awake during the nights on the AA. Soldiers retreating in Russia ate Pervitrin to keep on going, not feeling their limbs freezing.

German Submariners were fed cocaine and chrystal, because it kept them going for 3-4 days, they also added morphine, for a drug called D9. But noone who got this drug ever returned, so we don't know how effective it was. :p

The US also went for Benzedrine. :0

Loxley

Giving this thread a bit of a bump. I'm in the middle of re-watching The World at War documentary series and fuck me if this still isn't the best documentary I've ever seen, period. It's crazy just how comprehensive it is. I have to say one of my favorite things about it are all of the interviews they have to accompany the footage. Because this was made less 30 years after the war had ended, they were able to interview people who worked alongside the likes of Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin, Hitler, etc. That kind of first-hand knowledge/perspective of the war is now long-gone, so it's great that it's preserved here.

Giving this thread a bit of a bump. I'm in the middle of re-watching The World at War documentary series and fuck me if this still isn't the best documentary I've ever seen, period. It's crazy just how comprehensive it is. I have to say one of my favorite things about it are all of the interviews they have to accompany the footage. Because this was made less 30 years after the war had ended, they were able to interview people who worked alongside the likes of Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin, Hitler, etc. That kind of first-hand knowledge/perspective of the war is now long-gone, so it's great that it's preserved here.

Yeah I love those interviews with Arthur Harris. Never wanted to admit he was wrong/the plan was bad.

I just saw the movie Fury with Bradd Pitt. What a blast of a film, totally loved it. It makes me think how a living nightmare it must have been for soldiers on all sides when seeing the enemies approaching.

Now I am just waiting for a new WW2 Battlefield game.

Catphish

From what little I know the atomic bombing saved a ton of Allied lives by avoiding a costly invasion of the Japanese Home Islands. So it was the right thing to do in my opinion.

Great idea for a thread, subscribed.
The Japanese we're preparing to surrender. The dropping of the bomb had more to do with influencing the USSR than anything else.

Joezie

The Japanese we're preparing to surrender. The dropping of the bomb had more to do with influencing the USSR than anything else.

If by preparing to surrender you mean "Stall for as much time as possibly with excuse after excuse to make the impending allied invasion of our home islands as costly as possible and force a conditional rather than an unconditional surrender", then you'd be correct.

Japan already knew the Surrender conditions it had to meet, but it constantly tried to make counter offers it was in little position to make.

You can still be opposed to the use of the Bombs while acknowledging that the Japanese were doing anything but making it more difficult. In April 1945 there were only as little as 2 divisions on the whole of Kyūshū. By August 1945, that number increased to 14 divisions, with anywhere from 5-13 independent brigades and 3 armored brigades, mostly supplied and supported by a network of constructed trenches and mountain side fortifications as well as anywhere between 4000 and 6000 Kamikaze planes with pilots in nearby airfields fueled up if necessary to be used.

That isn't preparing surrender. That's preparing to repel an invasion.

No, they weren't. The Japanese Emperor saw the total surrender as a humiliation, so they neglected it. When the US then tried again, now with a more subtle approach so it did not sound humiliating, the emperor thought the US was weak and again, neglected it. The atomic bombs were necessary. Millions would have died if the USA had to invade Japan with ground forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom