• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worms: WMD reveaked [PC & XO first] - new artstyle, vehicles, buildings

prudislav

Reveal interview + Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0uq8hbrlbs
The new game from Team 17 is called Worms WMD (acronym for Weapons of Mass Destruction ), plain and simple. With their latest offering the studio is trying to channel the spirit of Worms: Armageddon, with that entry in the long-running series (it's twenty years old now!) identified as a genuine highlight and fan favourite worth drawing from.
tl;dr info:
  • full on 2D
  • new hand-drawn assets (drawing inspiration from anarchic cartoon characters like Ren & Stimpy)
  • heavily influenced by W:A
  • classic ninja-rope (8:52 in the video)
  • driveable vehicles and turrets added on the map - "We didn't want the vehicles to necessarily be a fore[gone] conclusion, as in, you get into the tank, you've won the game," Carthew explained. "It fires a barrage of shells, it's quite hard to concentrate the tank's fire. There's an element of skill involved. Sometimes it makes more sense to use one of the game's existing weapons, so we're keeping that balance of strategy in the game."
  • enterable buildings - "They act like mini-fortresses," the man from Team 17 explained. "So again it's an area of the landscape that I'd say plays to the strategic strengths of the game. If you get inside a building, your worms that are inside the building are hidden from view to everybody outside the building."
  • rewritted produral map generatios to work with new artyle

Screens:
wormswmd_1513083.png

wormswmd_1513103.png

wormswmd_1513113.png

wormswmd_1513073.png

http://www.gamereactor.eu/previews/332763/Worms+WMD/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Worms of Mass Destruction would be a better name than Worms: WMD.

Edit: The levels look nice, but I think the worms themselves could use some tweaking.

"With their latest offering the studio is trying to channel the spirit of Worms: Armageddon"

Haven't they been trying to do that for at least a decade now?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
well he said WMD is codename for now and means Weapons of Mass Destruction - so possibly final name will change later down the line

Ah (I watched some of the video, just without sound). If WMD is the internal code name, then it's quite possible Worms of Mass Destruction is the intended name for the game, haha.

Komo

Banned
"With their latest offering the studio is trying to channel the spirit of Worms: Armageddon"

Haven't they been trying to do that for at least a decade now?

Seems like it. I wonder why they just can't get it right?

I mean, I've enjoyed every Worms game I've played, but Armageddon and Worms 4 Ultimate Mayhem stick out as my favorites in the series.

By the way, the new one's looking great so far!

Nabs

- classic ninja-rope

I'll believe it when I see it. There are people who still play W:A for the roping mechanic. I know I go back to it regularly.

- full on 2D
- heavily influenced by W:A

Finally. Lets see if they actually pull through. They are definitely saying the things I want to hear. Oh, and don't charge 25 dollars on launch. Come on.

prudislav

- classic ninja-rope
I'll believe it when I see it. There are people who still play W:A for the roping mechanic. .

check it in the video (starts at 8:52) - there is lot of gameplay to be seen there while they are talking ;-)

maybe someone will make a gifs out of that ;-)

EBE

These games always fail to get me excited yet are consistently fun to play, even without major additions. Its so weird.

Elija2

Is water still in? That was one of the few cool mechanics in the newer Worms games.

Either way, the game looks interesting and I really like the art style. I just hope the layouts don't all look similar like they do in the newer Worms games.

ran93r

They promise to bring back the classic ninja rope every fucking game, it never works out that way. After the abortion that was the WWP "remaster" (and I use that term very loosely) I'm not holding out much hope.

The level art does look nice mind you.

stephen08

Will likely wait for it to hit PS+. Battlegrounds is good fun when it works but it fucks up all the time. What's worse is that it was like that since launch and even to this day it has a bunch of problems. They of course managed to push out some DLC though.

The game is a turnbased 2D game. It should have no networking issues or long load times.

Hopefully this one is better but I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt this time.

Wasp

Looks a lot better than Battlegrounds and Revolution at least. Going back to hand drawn art is a smart idea.

Tanks seem a bit overpowered but I assume you can turn them off.

One thing I would like to know is if there are any levels which are 100% hand drawn with no procedural generation involved? I always preferred levels designed by a human rather than a computer randomly sticking assets together.

Also the environments look a bit drab and colourless but I'm not sure how many they showed, could've been the same one. Hopefully the game has plenty of more vibrant themes.

Honestly I am just out of the loop for worms games. Which have actually been decent the past 5 years? I might get the new one since it looks pretty.

MrS

Banned
Hope it eventually comes to PS4 but it looks like quite a coup for XBox. Would buy this day 1 if I could. You can't beat a bit of Worms!

Why dont they add physics? FFS i want wood, concrete and glass to behave as it should. Trees and buildings should fall, why cant i destroy the bottom of the tower and have it fall and crush my friends?

This is just the same old worms with some new graphics and weapons.

I really, really loathe the look of the worm sprites. It's like all the character has been drained out of them.

Good move returning to 2D tho. Worms never felt right in full 3D.

JoshHood

I just hope it finally doesn't run like ass. Performance on the last few games has been very disappointing, and I don't normally care about stuff like that.

Santar

Why dont they add physics? FFS i want wood, concrete and glass to behave as it should. Trees and buildings should fall, why cant i destroy the bottom of the tower and have it fall and crush my friends?

This is just the same old worms with some new graphics and weapons.

I've been asking for this forever.
It's basically been the same game since Worms 2.

KeRaSh

Love the way it looks. Not sure what to think about the buildings mechanic but definitely not a fan of vehicles. Also, the physics still seem off compared to the WOAT which obviously is Worms World Party. It's a step in the right direction, though.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The 3D and 2.5D stuff never clicked with me. Armaggedon (and, to a extent, World Party) is still the best, if you ask me.

Top Bottom