• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Case Scenario for the Vita

zroid

Banned
I'd say what it needs are brands that people will buy the system for, but gameplay that's unique, quick, and keeps people coming back.

Brands sure would make it a lot easier, but that's Sony's problem I think; all their in-demand brands are "locked up" in a certain console-style experience that people don't particularly want on the Vita. If that weren't true, Uncharted probably would have been a system seller.

I am not talking about "bite sized experiences" like you said. I am talking about full blown games, AAA titles, that have to be designed different than the home console counterparts. Why would anyone spend hours in front of a portable, experiencing games when they can have the better experience on the home console?

I really can't imagine someone using his/her VITA (nor 3DS) to play the next COD online for 2 or 3 hours.

The time the gamer spends playing a game on a portable, has always been very low compared to the home consoles and thus the games have to be designed taking that into account. And for me, and i suppose many others, Sony has only been trying to put the heavy hitters of the PS2/3 on PSP and VITA without thinking about it. I'm not saying i don't want the AAA experiences on my portable, i'm saying they can't be designed as a home console game put on a portable.

This doesn't sound right to me, at least not anymore. Lots of people spend a ton of time playing their portables. This thread is all the evidence you need.

Look at the average play times. It's hovering around 2 hours for retail software, which I doubt is much different from consoles.

This weekend alone I've probably put in 15 hours of play time on MGS3D. I'm playing it right now!

aeroslash

This doesn't sound right to me, at least not anymore. Lots of people spend a ton of time playing their portables. This thread is all the evidence you need.

Look at the average play times. It's hovering around 2 hours for retail software, which I doubt is much different from consoles.

This weekend alone I've probably put in 15 hours of play time on MGS3D. I'm playing it right now!

And how long have your sessions been?

I'm sure there's some people, but not the millions and millions of people who buy this things..

I don't know ... for every system the worst case scenario is irrelevancy and death. This could've been answered with one post. I could give you the best case but I might as well wait for that thread.

Theoretically, not really. The Virtual Boy dying was the best case scenario because it meant not having to suffer through redscale games for a generation and the GBA was able to come out that much sooner.

Maybe if Vita is quickly scrapped, Sony will come out with a new device that is much better received, and it wouldn't have been possible without the lessons learned from Vita.

And how long have your sessions been?

Like 5 hour bursts, probably. I said "this weekend alone," isn't that enough?

BigDug13

Here is something else I never liked about Sony's portable consoles as well as some of Nintendo's portable consoles:

You're making a portable machine for people to stick into their pockets. Nintendo learned long ago with the SP that a clamshell design works great for this, and with the inclusion of instant "sleep mode" just by closing the DS and now the 3DS, you can instantly pop the thing back into your pocket. With my PSP, I always had to bust out my case to slide the PSP into for protection. Fairly sure the PSV is the same way. Also, I had to hit the side power slider for a second to enter "sleep mode" on my PSP. Is it similar on the PSV? Is it at all cumbersome?

Part of the pick-up-and-play success has to be attributed to the fact that I can stop the game I'm playing and have the machine fully protected and back in my pocket in like 2 seconds.

My GBA Micro suffered the same fate as the first little plastic face that I attached got scratched to hell in my pocket on day 1, forcing me to find some external protection for the system which I didn't like. (hence SP being my favorite GBA system.)

liger05

As things stand as they are I ain't getting one even if it gets a price drop. I ain't convinced the vita has sufficient third party support and no pes being on a vita only confirms that. E3 needs to be huge but I would not be shocked if its not as everything Sony has done so far suggests they have no strategy.

As things stand as they are I ain't getting one even if it gets a price drop. I ain't convinced the vita has sufficient third party support and no pes being on a vita only confirms that. E3 needs to be huge but I would not be shocked if its not as everything Sony has done so far suggests they have no strategy.

E3 will have some very impressive software and result in a lot of people committing to Vita, but the releases will probably be staggered out over quite a few months, and one or more of the games will lose its luster as we approach release, and it won't be as much a revival as the furor surrounding E3 would have you expect. That's my prediction.

Brands sure would make it a lot easier, but that's Sony's problem I think; all their in-demand brands are "locked up" in a certain console-style experience that people don't particularly want on the Vita. If that weren't true, Uncharted probably would have been a system seller.

I really think this is worth looking into, somehow. But it'd be tough to articulate.

Why do people decline/ignore Uncharted Golden Abyss because "meh, it's not as good as Uncharted 3," but people don't decline/ignore Mario 3D Land because "meh, it's not as good as Galaxy?"

aeroslash

Theoretically, not really. The Virtual Boy dying was the best case scenario because it meant not having to suffer through redscale games for a generation and the GBA was able to come out that much sooner.

Maybe if Vita is quickly scrapped, Sony will come out with a new device that is much better received, and it wouldn't have been possible without the lessons learned from Vita.

5h straight in a portable is nice. But i really think you are in the minority. Maybe not in this thread/forum, but outside of this..

No, don't you understand?!?

You CAN'T play Portables for longer than 10 minutes! Train journeys and commuting flights!? What are those!

Whatever...i've never said nor tried to say that.

Cipherr

This is a poor argument. When are people allowed to refer to it as being a relatively poor number compared to competition?

No its not a poor argument. 200 million ceases to be barely anyone when it holds over 70% of the share of ALL games sold on the damn console dude, this is a stupid thing to try and argue. The vast vast vast vast vast vast.....

VAST VAST VAST VAST majority of ALL PSP GAMES EVER SOLD were freaking UMD's. Calling that 'barely anyone' is fucking stupid. Trying to defend calling it barely anyone is just retarded.

Much more than 'barely anyone' bought UMD's amongst PSP owners during the PSP generation, and thats what matters. Arguing otherwise is insanity. And who said anything about in comparison to the competition? Thats some crap you pulled out of your rear to try and make 200 million seem inconsequential. He might have a point about barely anyone buying UMD movies, but he does not have a point about the games.

No its not a poor argument. 200 million ceases to be barely anyone when it holds over 70% of the share of ALL games sold on the damn console dude, this is a stupid thing to try and argue. The vast vast vast vast vast vast.....

VAST VAST VAST VAST majority of ALL PSP GAMES EVER SOLD were freaking UMD's. Calling that 'barely anyone' is fucking stupid. Trying to defend calling it barely anyone is just retarded.

Much more than 'barely anyone' bought UMD's amongst PSP owners during the PSP generation. Arguing otherwise is insanity. And who said anything about in comparison to the competition? Thats some crap you pulled out of your rear to try and make 200 million seems inconsequential.

He didn't clarify his comment. He could've meant barely anyone overall, including all purchasers of game consoles and software, or he could've meant barely any PSP owners, in which case you'd be right. I interpreted it the first way, as evidenced by my comment about the scale of the game industry - 200 million can be bad when competitors sell 1 billion units over lifespan, etc.

Besides, you never answered my question. Since you're knowledgeable about such things, what number of units sold is small enough to allow us to say the words "barely anyone?"

I bought a cheap used PSP to build up my PSN titles whenever the Vita dropped in price. But UMDs go for peanuts now and I could most likely get every decent PSP game on UMD for under the price of a Vita.

True story.

The only way i can see worst case scenario for the Vita is if there was no new game announcements at TGS. Sony needs to do well in Japan, not only because of Japan´s love for portable gaming, but also because of currency conversion. If SCEJ cannot produce/publish/help produce some Japanese centered games, than SCEJ would be fucking retarded. Of course SCEJ needs to moneyhat Japanese third party publishers like crazy. Or at least give them some kind of support. It all boils down if Sony can have a great or a bad TGS imo.

Why do people decline/ignore Uncharted Golden Abyss because "meh, it's not as good as Uncharted 3," but people don't decline/ignore Mario 3D Land because "meh, it's not as good as Galaxy?"
Some people think 3D Land is better than Galaxy. And it's not really an uncommon opinion either.

The central design in each is pretty different though, Galaxy still holds a strong design link to the "playground" ideas in 64/Sunshine while 3D Land basically tries to ape 2D Mario in every way possible. A better comparison would probably be Mario Kart Wii vs 7.

ShinNL

Yeah cut down games not designed for mobile use and...

NO. If the game has all the usage characteristics of a console game but is crappier, people will play it on the console. Sony's continuous mistake is not understanding mobile games are used in different situations and thus require lower involvement, small increment gameplay. This is why iOS titles that GAF may think are shit do so well, mobile gaming users have different tastes because the context in which they use games is different.
This is a very ignorant post, considering my post even references MH: oh hey, it was a console game initially, with online, turned into a local multiplayer game on the PSP with downgraded graphics. But but but... dumbed down console game. No.

Also, mentioning iOS games? Hahahaha. If people want Angry Birds, the last thing they would buy is a dedicated handheld for games: they would freaking get a smartphone. It's so ridiculous you claim Sony not to understand the market, because it seems you are the one being clueless. A handheld has to be different than a smartphone. No one is going to buy a handheld just to play Brain Training V5, that time is long over. People do those things on smartphones now. Trying to copy a smartphone now and sell it as a dedicated handheld would result in Dreamcast divided by 10.

And are you implying that if a Skyrim portable gets released, it's gonna sell like crap and play like crap? I own the best version mate, linked to a 42" TV and using a wireless KB + mouse, I enjoy Skyrim PC version very much. It doesn't mean I wouldn't want a portable version. I also didn't buy SSF4, Tekken and Zelda for my 3DS just because I couldn't play the console versions: I just want good games. It seems people who never own handhelds would use the 'console version is better!' argument. Most of my favorite games could've perfectly be played on a console (Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Fire Emblem, Castlevanias). Your argument makes 100% no sense to me.

People is really saying PSV needs WRPG and FPS?

In my opinion what a Portable console needs are games that can be played for a few minutes and that are easy to start when you have some time.
People don't want a portable to play for many hours or games in which you have to spend 1 hour in order to make huge advances...
Look at Kid Icarus for instance, it's a great, long long game, which can be replayed many many times, but its stages are constructed of no more than 5 to 10 minutes, so you know that when you have some time, you can turn it on, play a little and make some advances.

Maybe there's people out there who plays the PSV and the 3DS for hours and hours but i'm sure the majority just use a portable when they have some spare time, not long hours.
When Sony realizes that, maybe they will start to regain some of market share.
Personally for me the perfect sessions are 30-60 minutes, coming from a Monster Hunter background. I specifically mentioned Skyrim because that game basically allows you save at any point. To me that seems like the perfect portable game: sessions however long you like: hours and hours of gameplay. It's kind of the same as how well Animal Crossing transitioned from being a console game to a handheld game.

I'm personally not fond of FPS though, so I can't argue for that. I wouldn't play most on PC/console or handheld.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
5h straight in a portable is nice. But i really think you are in the minority. Maybe not in this thread/forum, but outside of this..

Whatever...i've never said nor tried to say that.

Yeah, because nobody ever played long sessions of Pokemon.

People have smartphones for simple shitting on the pot games.

My PSP was used mainly for RPG's.

Portable RPG's are really great, as you the grinding is no where near as tedious while you are playing while say watching the game. The fact I can sleep it at anytime is great as well, it's really almost the superior format for JRPGs.

Some people think 3D Land is better than Galaxy. And it's not really an uncommon opinion either.

The central design in each is pretty different though, Galaxy still holds a strong design link to the "playground" ideas in 64/Sunshine while 3D Land basically tries to ape 2D Mario in every way possible. A better comparison would probably be Mario Kart Wii vs 7.

Whereas it's unmistakable that Golden Abyss is not better than Uncharted 3? Is that the main issue here?

Portable games need to be in the running to be ranked as among the best the series has ever seen. Makes sense. Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus, Pokemon definitely.

kswiston

I think that at this point Vita will be Sony's last dedicated handheld even if they manage to turn around the sales in the next year. Worst case scenario is that Vita only manages to sell 10-15M units and has a small library with a few gems (like many other systems that didn't catch on). I think the Vita will be closer to the PS3 though. A flopped launch with a slow turnaround period as Sony gets their act together, leading to OK sales. Likely lower than the PSP, but not Saturn levels either.

I am not yet invested in the system, and there hasn't been enough software announcements to get me invested, so I don't care either way at this point.

Whereas it's unmistakable that Golden Abyss is not better than Uncharted 3? Is that the main issue here?

Portable games need to be in the running to be ranked as among the best the series has ever seen. Makes sense. Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus, Pokemon definitely.

Kid Icarus was a franchise that was dead for over 20 years, and Pokemon has always been a handheld franchise. Low hanging fruit.

While some handheld games can be among the best in their franchises, I don't think that is a requirement for them to be worthwhile. They just need to be competent and offer people a similar experience fitted for a handheld. I haven't played the Golden Abyss but 3D land did this well. What people don't want is garbage, stripped down ports to their portable system. Basically what most third parties in the West provided to the PSP.

sajj316

You're commenting in hindsight no? If this is the case, there are no worst case scenarios for the hardware maker or the consumer. This the equivalent of Apollo Creed dying so Rocky could beat the crap out of Drago.

Worst case? How about a steady stream of NOTHING being released for months

Oh, that's already happening

I bought a vita day 1, now there is dust all over it

Cipherr

He didn't clarify his comment. He could've meant barely anyone overall, including all purchasers of game consoles and software, or he could've meant barely any PSP owners

Cmon now... really? You read his post, and the one he was responding to, which gave more than enough context, and your takeaway was that he was saying

"barely anyone who didnt own a PSP bought UMD's"

Cmon now.... really? Does that sound right, or even make any sense to you? Why would people who didnt own the console buy a significant amount of games for it? Of course he was talking about PSP owners, thats the only way the discussion and comment make any sense at all.

Yeah, because nobody ever played long sessions of Pokemon.

People have smartphones for simple shitting on the pot games.

My PSP was used mainly for RPG's.

Portable RPG's are really great, as you the grinding is no where near as tedious while you are playing while say watching the game. The fact I can sleep it at anytime is great as well, it's really almost the superior format for JRPGs.

Indeed. Long sessions on handhelds happen more than some seem to understand. I did some pretty silly long sessions with Puzzle Quest last gen, and that was a fairly light RPG, if it was an RPG at all.

Gaborn

I think the problem for Sony is that in a way the worst case scenario ALREADY happened when they lost Monster Hunter. I don't see any of the titles CURRENTLY announced for Vita or that realistically COULD be announced for Vita being able to drive sales in any way close to as effectively. If you add to that, what rationale is there to give Vita an exclusive 3rd party game in preference to the 3DS? I know fans of Vita would want it because the system is so powerful but with the built in userbase advantage of the 3DS and the already announced upcoming titles guaranteed to drive even more sales plus the expected announcements like Animal Crossing coming there is every reason for big titles to go to the 3DS instead.

I think that Sony MIGHT see a swathe of titles at E3 that get announced because their development started before Vita's release and they might as well finish the game, release it and see what happens but I think new titles will dry up pretty quickly after that second wave, it's just hard to make a good economic case for developing a high budget title for the system.

Well, I wouldn't rule out preference for Golden Abyss entirely, but it doesn't seem to be a common opinion. General response seems to be more like the PSP God of Wars, a good conversion of the console experience, though still "cut down" in most respects.

The same doesn't really apply to 3D Land, it isn't anything like a converted or "cut down" Galaxy, it's really something pretty different. That's why I brought up Mario Kart as a better comparison, because it's closer yo the same central experience on consoles or handhelds.

BigDug13

I also think part of the problem is the tarnishing of the Sony brand. Sony could do no wrong with the PS1 and PS2. They released the PSP to mild success because the Sony Playstation brand name had been flawless up to that point with no equal competitors.

This time, the PS3 came in third because of very risky decisions with Blu-Ray and Cell. Blu-Ray would have won the format war regardless of its inclusion into the PS3. They could have competed with the 360 directly on price if not for that. Also, Cell has been a huge disappointment, leading to nearly all of the multi-platform games to be "PS3 version is nearly as good as the 360 version, but not quite as good."

Sony's electronics divisions have also been hemorrhaging money, even if their gaming division has not, and Sony's name is not nearly as powerful as it was in 2004 with PSP launch.

While Nintendo is coming off the most successful system of the generation and again clinching the most successful portable of the generation. They finally priced their new hand-held to be marketable and have strong development houses making games.

PSV has an uphill battle to be sure. I think including a UMD drive for BC (while still using cartridges for PSV releases), dropping the touch screen, launching at $150...or $180 with memory included and really kinda making it a PSP successor would have been the right move from the start.

Sony's firepower has been weakening for awhile and they stuffed way too much tech into a portable. I get that it's powerful, but $250 for a handheld gaming system? I love my PS3 and PSP but I have zero desire to buy a $280 (with memory) handheld and $40-$50 watered down console games. Especially when I can't play a single UMD game (which I have a bag full of) on it. The 3DS on the other hand was ready to play every DS title out of the box, came with memory, and is easily portable due to clamshell design and smaller size.

Log4Girlz

I also think part of the problem is the tarnishing of the Sony brand. Sony could do no wrong with the PS1 and PS2. They released the PSP to mild success because the Sony Playstation brand name had been flawless up to that point with no equal competitors.

This time, the PS3 came in third because of very risky decisions with Blu-Ray and Cell. Blu-Ray would have won the format war regardless of its inclusion into the PS3. They could have competed with the 360 directly on price if not for that. Also, Cell has been a huge disappointment, leading to nearly all of the multi-platform games to be "PS3 version is nearly as good as the 360 version, but not quite as good."

Sony's electronics divisions have also been hemorrhaging money, even if their gaming division has not, and Sony's name is not nearly as powerful as it was in 2004 with PSP launch.

While Nintendo is coming off the most successful system of the generation and again clinching the most successful portable of the generation. They finally priced their new hand-held to be marketable and have strong development houses making games.

PSV has an uphill battle to be sure. I think including a UMD drive for BC (while still using cartridges for PSV releases), dropping the touch screen, launching at $150...or $180 with memory included and really kinda making it a PSP successor would have been the right move from the start.

Sony's firepower has been weakening for awhile and they stuffed way too much tech into a portable. I get that it's powerful, but $250 for a handheld gaming system? I love my PS3 and PSP but I have zero desire to buy a $280 (with memory) handheld and $40-$50 watered down console games. Especially when I can't play a single UMD game (which I have a bag full of) on it. The 3DS on the other hand was ready to play every DS title out of the box, came with memory, and is easily portable due to clamshell design and smaller size.

There is almost no scenario I can imagine where the Vita could have been a success up to this point. Even with some amazing launch line-up, the price tag would be off-putting. Its a lovely piece of hardware and dammit, I'm gonna want to buy it sometime in the future...but they really should have chased tablet dollars and the Vita as is could have been the equivalent to an Ipod touch.

abasm

The worst case scenario is Sony ignoring the Vita at E3. The main reason people are worried is because the future of the system is so uncertain. (there's Gravity Rush in June and then...?) If Sony doubles-back, gives up on the Vita, and steps up the timeline for Orbis, then the Vita IS dead. It won't have the 3DS's "holiday happy ending".

...however, that seems unlikely. In all likelihood, Sony's E3 presentation will tease Orbis (which shouldn't launch until late 2013/early 2014) but primarily focus on Vita software. With PS3 and 360 entering what is ostensibly their final year, Sony can leverage the Vita to fill the HD console gap in that time. I could foresee a lot of first-party series expansions and sequels announced exclusively for Vita, as that would allow developers to re-use PS3-level assets. The Vita also possess a lower bar of expectation, so PS2-era software could also reappear on the device without seeming out of place. (see: Persona 4)

What I'm getting at here is that the Vita is hitting the same point that the 3DS hit after launch--a lack of games combined with an uncertain future. If there still isn't anything in the cards for the system after E3, Gamescom, and TGS, then you might as well pack your bags. The show isn't over yet, folks. It has just begun.

kswiston

I think the problem for Sony is that in a way the worst case scenario ALREADY happened when they lost Monster Hunter. I don't see any of the titles CURRENTLY announced for Vita or that realistically COULD be announced for Vita being able to drive sales in any way close to as effectively. If you add to that, what rationale is there to give Vita an exclusive 3rd party game in preference to the 3DS? I know fans of Vita would want it because the system is so powerful but with the built in userbase advantage of the 3DS and the already announced upcoming titles guaranteed to drive even more sales plus the expected announcements like Animal Crossing coming there is every reason for big titles to go to the 3DS instead.

This same argument could have been made for the PSP vs the DS. Especially in 2006 and early 2007 before Monster Hunter Portable 2 blew up. As for game announcements that could help the system, and that would not be 1-2 years away from release, Convincing Capcom to release a port of Portable 3G on Vita that makes use of Portable 3 data in some way would help.

XOMTOR

That would make sense except for one small detail: Sony doesn't seem to learn from its past mistakes, they just keep repeating them over again. When Sting wrote "History Will Teach Us Nothing", he must have been thinking of Sony.
jk of course.

Anyway, worst case scenario in my eyes would be for Sony to continue doing for Vita what they're doing now, which is pretty much SFA.

Gaborn

This same argument could have been made for the PSP vs the DS. Especially in 2006 and early 2007 before Monster Hunter Portable 2 blew up. As for game announcements that could help the system, and that would not be 1-2 years away from release, Convincing Capcom to release a port of Portable 3G on Vita that makes use of Portable 3 data in some way would help.

I think what you're forgetting is the PSP came at a very different time for Sony in perception than the PSV. The PSP came in March of 2005 in the US, before the Wii was even released, hell, before we even knew anything ABOUT the Wii. Yes, the DS beat it to market by 4 months but at that point I don't think it was widely considered a major threat to the PSP. Sony had up to that point been so INCREDIBLY successful in the console sphere I think they were considered the favorites to de-throne Nintendo as the handheld king as well, at least by perception.

People like to think that history repeats itself, Sony was dominant in consoles so they'd obviously dominate in portables. This image was reinforced I think when the PSP was shown to be so much more powerful than the DS. I think what ended up happening is two things. First, there was a sufficient niche carved out by the PSP that if it wasn't as "healthy" a market as the DS it at least would make developers some money, there was a userbase they could market to.

Second however, I think CONSUMERS that adopted the PSP because it was a Sony system and because they loved the PS2 et al didn't necessarily feel as strongly about that system as they did about previous Sony systems. I don't think they felt the same "connection" or variety to the system, I think like the PS3 it suffered from being expensive and simply not being what a broad audience wanted from a system. It appealed to techies and Sony fans, but not necessarily to a general audience.

What that means is when the PSV came to market it did so without the benefit of the buzz the PSP had and without the good feelings of a successful console maker entering a new gaming market. Instead, it offered I think a similar value proposition in consumers minds to how they felt about the PS3 initially... and for most people that's not a good thing.

Cipherr

I definitely think it would help, a great deal. But Im not convinced it would fix this problem. The only reason I feel that way, is because its one thing to not get a MH game, its a completely different thing to lose it to a competitor. Both are bad, but even if they get a MH game, this time the Vita wont be the only handheld with the franchise.

The loss of exclusivity will dampen the benefit of having the game this gen versus last gen. If it hits PSV this gen, there will be a split of folks buying it on 2 platforms versus solely buying it on the PSV. And every day that goes by where the DS has MH3G and MH4 incoming with NO sign of a PSV MH, the worse that split will be when MH finally hits the Vita. In more ways than one, I wish LBKarting, Sonys Smash game, and more were upcoming PSV games and not PS3.

BigDug13

What I'm getting at here is that the Vita is hitting the same point that the 3DS hit after launch--a lack of games combined with an uncertain future. If there still isn't anything in the cards for the system after E3, Gamescom, and TGS, then you might as well pack your bags. The show isn't over yet, folks. It has just begun.

A couple differences. 3DS could afford to struggle early because it had no competition to snap up those lost sales. Vita on the other hand released into competition. The first game system released to a generation is the ONLY system that can afford a slow start as long as it picks up steam by the time the competition arrives. That's exactly what happened with the 3DS. You can't compare the Vita's slow start to that because the Vita can not afford to start slow because it does have competion.

Also, 3DS didn't pick up steam just due to titles being released, it picked up steam mainly by dropping the price by nearly $100.

Vita requires a $320 investment to boot a game (system+memory+game). It also cannot play your previous library of UMD games from your PSP. 3DS now requires $180 total. (System+Icarus) Or $190 (system plus any other game). and can immediately play your collection of DS cartridges.

I definitely think it would help, a great deal. But Im not convinced it would fix this problem. The only reason I feel that way, is because its one thing to not get a MH game, its a completely different thing to lose it to a competitor. Both are bad, but even if they get a MH game, this time the Vita wont be the only handheld with the franchise.

The loss of exclusivity will dampen the benefit of having the game this gen versus last gen. If it hits PSV this gen, there will be a split of folks buying it on 2 platforms versus solely buying it on the PSV. And every day that goes by where the DS has MH3G and MH4 incoming with NO sign of a PSV MH, the worse that split will be when MH finally hits the Vita. In more ways than one, I wish LBKarting, Sonys Smash game, and more were upcoming PSV games and not PS3.

This sounds a lot like Nintendo losing their exclusivity with Final Fantasy to Sony in the PS1/N64 days which ultimately drove a ton of sales Sony's way.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is totally necessary.

Vita is a great handheld with some good titles. It just needs more of them. Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, Sound Shapes, etc. are in the works and I'm sure Sony has more up their sleeve to be shown at E3.

I do think they should put more of their studios on Vita development though. Sly4 seems like it would've been better on Vita, for instance.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think that the situation is not so black, japan is lost but in the rest of the world the difference with 3ds is not so big
I'm surprised to see a bunch of people saying this. Of course the American Vita numbers we know are decent. They were for its launch month. Vita's first week in Japan was very similar to that of the 3DS. I would wager that NA sales have already dropped off a cliff, given that the game schedule is just as barren as Japan's.
I can't imagine Sony making a profit on this device as currently priced. One, it has an oled display, yes it is small but it still costs quite a bit to produce. Two, It has a touchpad on the back of it, touchpads are not all that cheap. Three, the mobile graphics processor is quite cutting edge as well, not cheap. Same goes for it's cpu, this all adds up.
My assumption is that this is the reason for the required memory cards. By selling those with a big mark-up, Sony could potentially make back some of the losses the main unit is incurring. They probably viewed this 'hidden cost' as preferable to selling the system for more than 3DS's launch price.
Here's my thoughts. Sony knew when they were launching in NA that it was going to be gradual. The Vita had the softest of launches. Very little promo. I still think this is by design. They are trying several new things, launch wise and hardware wise.

Anyways. Summer drought is upon us. They knew the launch being just before this span would result in a long slow grind. I think partly to get it out there and get it going, to let PS Suite get finished, and check for any mad piracy action.
To the underlined, Nintendo did the same thing in North America with 3DS. It didn't stop Iwata & co from freaking out.
There is nothing smart about an intentional 'slow grind' launch. If the system bombs as hard as the Vita currently is, they risk losing consumer confidence, floorspace, and third party support, and regaining these things could be a tough battle.
I think the opposite happened: Sony put together the biggest launch they could, with a very large selection of titles including their big AAA hook, hoping and praying that this would see the system through until they had more titles ready. Evidently it's not working.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I think what you're forgetting is the PSP came at a very different time for Sony in perception than the PSV. The PSP came in March of 2005 in the US, before the Wii was even released, hell, before we even knew anything ABOUT the Wii. Yes, the DS beat it to market by 4 months but at that point I don't think it was widely considered a major threat to the PSP. Sony had up to that point been so INCREDIBLY successful in the console sphere I think they were considered the favorites to de-throne Nintendo as the handheld king as well, at least by perception.

People like to think that history repeats itself, Sony was dominant in consoles so they'd obviously dominate in portables. This image was reinforced I think when the PSP was shown to be so much more powerful than the DS. I think what ended up happening is two things. First, there was a sufficient niche carved out by the PSP that if it wasn't as "healthy" a market as the DS it at least would make developers some money, there was a userbase they could market to.

Second however, I think CONSUMERS that adopted the PSP because it was a Sony system and because they loved the PS2 et al didn't necessarily feel as strongly about that system as they did about previous Sony systems. I don't think they felt the same "connection" or variety to the system, I think like the PS3 it suffered from being expensive and simply not being what a broad audience wanted from a system. It appealed to techies and Sony fans, but not necessarily to a general audience.

What that means is when the PSV came to market it did so without the benefit of the buzz the PSP had and without the good feelings of a successful console maker entering a new gaming market. Instead, it offered I think a similar value proposition in consumers minds to how they felt about the PS3 initially... and for most people that's not a good thing.

Pretty much nailed it.

The luster has faded from the once proud Sony name.

The worst case scenario is that the Vita or the 3Ds become popular.

Which means the consumer will have to overpay for games.

The best case is that both the 3DS and Vita struggle against tablets and smartphones, causing both the 3DS and Vita to be abandoned by developers.

Without popular dedicated gaming hand helds, developers will have no choice but to release their games on iOS/Android instead.

This will hopefully cause them to abandon "cinematic gaming experiences" as the majority of consumers on iOS/Android have no interest in these types of game.

We will then hopefully see more purer game play experiences utilising many different pricing models. This will empower the consumer to choose exactly how much and how often they wish to pay for their gaming fix.

This is likely to lead to much more customer friendly pricing for games in the future than if Sony or Nintendo dominate the gaming handheld landscape once more.

Bring it on, I can't wait!

zroid

Banned
The worst case scenario is that the Vita or the 3Ds become popular.

Which means the consumer will have to overpay for games.

The best case is that both the 3DS and Vita struggle against tablets and smartphones, causing both the 3DS and Vita to be abandoned by developers.

Without popular dedicated gaming hand helds, developers will have no choice but to release their games on iOS/Android instead.

This will hopefully cause them to abandon "cinematic gaming experiences" as the majority of consumers on iOS/Android have no interest in these types of game.

We will then hopefully see more purer game play experiences utilising many different pricing models. This will empower the consumer to choose exactly how much and how often they wish to pay for their gaming fix.

This is likely to lead to much more customer friendly pricing for games in the future than if Sony or Nintendo dominate the gaming handheld landscape once more.

Bring it on, I can't wait!

...this has to be a joke. Right?

99%

40/50 euro for mobile games is a joke.

There really is no excuse with amazing games coming out on PC, phones, XBLA and PSN for under 20 and under 10.

...this has to be a joke. Right?

No joke, it's genuinely what I want to see.

As time goes on I have less and less interest in the big blockbuster console releases.

There are some great games on iOS/Android with very simple but playable gaming mechanics.

In generations past, we'd typically we'd only see these type of quirky playable titles coming out from Nintendo. They would take a simple game play mechanic and polish it until it shined. But you would have to pay handsomely to play them.

Now the same tiny fun titles can be picked up for cents or even for free on iOS/Android.

How can this be a bad thing?

neptunes

No joke, it's genuinely what I want to see.

As time goes on I have less and less interest in the big blockbuster console releases.

There are some great games on iOS/Android with very simple but playable gaming mechanics.

In generations past, we'd typically we'd only see these type of quirky playable titles coming out from Nintendo. They would take a simple game play mechanic and polish it until it shined. But you would have to pay handsomely to play them.

Now the same tiny fun titles can be picked up for cents or even for free on iOS/Android.

I agree that handheld game prices are a bit high, but iOS prices has it's disadvantages.

It's a race to the bottom ecosystem, that allows developers to blatantly rip-off each others concepts and ideas in hopes of making it big.

How is that sustainable for the people that solely make games for a living?

On one hand, I want Sony healthy so if the Vita failing destroys them as a company, then that would be terrible. But if Sony could recover after abandoning the system and PS4 isn't affected, then that would be ideal for my preferences.

jonno394

Worst case scenario is that devs support iOS and 3DS instead. SOny are currently in a catch 22 where new games would drive sales, but thjose games won't come until the userbase increases.

I really want to buy a Vita, but I know it would just be gathering dust once I finished Uncharted as that is the only title i'd want, barring Gravity Rush. I watch auctions count down on ebay and get tempted to bid but I need to hold out till at least E3.

zroid

Banned

Well, for one thing, it would mean the end of portable games with budgets of more than around $500k. I for one don't want to ever see things come to this. There is a place for iOS but there sure as shit is a place for dedicated systems too, with all of the premium-priced, high quality experiences that the market can sustain.

Top Bottom