• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst casting choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Just to play off that other thread without parodying it or anything, some people are just wrong for their particular roles. Sometimes they're a bad actor, or sometimes a great actor just doesn't fit the character. Sometimes the director or a slew of other factors are at fault. I'll name three to get the ball rolling.

Russell Crowe as Javert, Les Miserables

russell1.jpg

Taken aside that he's not an especially good singer, he looks absolutely bored in this role. Virtually any Englishman with a good singing voice and a scowl could have done this performance better. When he talks about the role, he actually said he hated the idea of playing in a musical and had to be talked into it, and it shows in his performances.

Jack Nicholson as Frank Costello, The Departed

20131025-100953.jpg

This one truly pains me because Nicholson is one of the finest American actors of all time, but he doesn't work in this role. He's not menacing, and has a truly horrible accent. I mean I know the character is playing both sides, but he doesn't seem committed to the role. I mean Jack can play the slimiest of slimeballs, but it never clicked for me here.

Now I'll go the television route so we can be sure that this thread isn't just about movies. One of my favorite shows is Game of Thrones. For better or worse, it's immensely entertaining and in its final years, it's important to remember that the casting of this show has been for the most part really good. I mean, if you had to cast 100 actors in named parts, you'd be hard-pressed to pick better actors than Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister or Lena Headey as Cersei. Even many of the unknowns turned out to be pretty good. That is, their casting report card was As and Bs mostly until season 5...

Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy, Game of Thrones

euron-game-of-thrones.jpg

This man is a murderous but also mysterious character with dark motivations, supposedly in line with the worst villain one could possibly imagine. And keep in mind this show has had some truly sadistic fuckers.

But what we get is Theon's drunk uncle who apparently equates building ships on a a deforested island with the ultimate power play. He has no menace and comes across as one of the blandest villains in the show's run. Alfie Allen himself could have probably played a better Euron.

Now I know what you're thinking. Shae, Ros, The Sand Snakes. Yes, but you're talking about two ex adult entertainment performers, so I forgive Shae and Ros. The Sand Snakes are just a matter of diabolically bad writing. I think Pilou Asbæk just doesn't fill the shoes he's been asked to fill, and it's hard to imagine them making the character anything special now with him in the role.

Fury451

Banned
Keanu in Dracula.

Oh my yes. Winona Ryder too, same movie.

Have to admit I'm still not feeling ScarJo as Black Widow after all this time either.

And yeah, Eisenberg Lex just didn't work for me at all. Leto Joker did not either. Two fine actors, but misfires of performances as well as casting.

Jack Nicholson as Frank Costello, The Departed

This one seems like an odd pick. I thought Jack was fine in this role, but even if he wasn't, was he really a "worst casting choice"?

And honestly, couldn't typical Hollywood whitewashing occupy the Top 100 worst casting choices?

Sephzilla

Ryan Reynolds in Green Lantern. Reynolds isn't the problem with that movie but he's just miscast as Hal Jordan. He never feels natural in the role.

Keanu in The Matrix

Huh? Keanu isn't the best actor in the world but he was fine in The Matrix. I actually think he ended up being better than what their original choice - Will Smith - would have been

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
042312-akerman-watchmen.jpg

Whoever thought casting someone like Malin Akerman as Silk Specter 2 in Watchmen was smoking some strong shit. Her strongest acting gig was that shitty Ben Stiller movie the Heartbreak Kid.

Sephzilla

No.

There is another.

january-jones-emma-frost-x-men-days-of-future-past.jpg

X-Men First Class was all over the map in terms of casting. A few solid choices like McAvoy, Fassbender, Bacon, and Lawrence (she was better when she wasn't jammed into so much of a central role) - but some of the other choices.... eeesh

Gigglepoo

Michael Gambon sure played a strange version of Dumbledore.

Also, Ryan Gossling is super charming and good looking but doesn't have the song-and-dance chops to star in a musical. I still don't get why he's in La La Land.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
One that sticks out in my head is Denise Richards as that nuclear scientist Bond girl. Sure, she has the body for a Bond girl but by her acting on screen, she was the furthest thing from a nuclear scientist. It doesn't help that she wore a tank top and short shorts, said "nu-ku-lar," and sounded like all of her lines were read out loud, in confusion, from a piece of paper for the first time.

Keanu in The Matrix
I think he did fine, actually. He's not an excellent actor but I think the Matrix actually used him really well.

Michael Gambon sure played a strange version of Dumbledore.

Also, Ryan Gossling is super charming and good looking but doesn't have the song-and-dance chops to star in a musical. I still don't get why he's in La La Land.
I think Gambon was great in Prisoner of Azkaban but then got some really dumb direction in Goblet of Fire and the effect never truly wore off.

zeemumu

The entirety of The Last Airbender cast

You'll never convince me that this is firelord ozai

latest

Granted that's more the costume's fault than anything

Speevy

Banned
This one seems like an odd pick. I thought Jack was fine in this role, but even if he wasn't, was he really a "worst casting choice"?

Maybe it just really hit me because I absolutely love Jack Nicholson in everything, even bad movies.

I heard he was the bad guy in this and he's just kinda pathetic in the film.

No actor could have made the material in Attack of the Clone work. The sad thing is there's actually some pretty good potential there in Hayden Christensen's performance, if only he had better direction and scripting. Revenge of the Sith gives him some better chances to shine but there's still a sense of being held back.

For one where it's not necessarily the casting choice being bad, but more just them completely wasting a cool opportunity, SLJ as Mace Windu. Three movies and virtually all he does until the end is just sit around and talk.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Everyone in Terminator: Genisys. Even Arnold.

Ensoul

The movie was beyond awful but I never understood Edward Furlong playing the crow.
Hayden Christensen in the star wars movies is another (although no matter who played his part there was no saving those movies)

Hyun Sai

I never bought Don Cheadle as War Machine. He really feels out of space. Too bad, he's a good actor, but miscast he is.

Don-Cheadle-as-Rhodey-in-Iron-Man-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom