• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst UIs and menus in gaming?

KingBroly

Banned
I mean you kinda do. The death zones are different in Smash and 8-player Smash. It's much easier to die from the side of the screen in 8-player Smash as opposed to regular Smash. Plus 8 player Smash doesn't track your kills and that in between menu is perfect for quickly editing individualized control inputs.

And having separate menus keeps the game from automatically setting inactive controllers as players as well and there's separate events in the event mode for single player and co-op and there's different stats for single player and co-op in the stadium, classic and all-star modes.

That's the kind of stuff that should change on the fly, not up front.

Omni

all MMORPG for me...
I could never image how people can play FF14 on consoles
Do agree that the default UI on console is awful. Cluttered mess. Something like this for those unaware:
FF14%20UI.png

However there are lots of options in-game to clean it up. 20 minutes of effort and it looks a lot nicer

Menthuss

I feel like I'm going to get shit on for this but just about every UI designed by Nintendo. The 3DS and Wii U UI's are ugly, clunky and sluggish. They focus waaaaay too much on being kid-friendly and less on actual usability IMO.

Skux

Dragon Age Inquisition - nonsensical, hard to navigate, not PC friendly. A step back from previous games.

Assassin's Creed III - laggy and confusing. The game pauses and goes to a whole new screen just to change weapons FFS. And good luck trying to navigate your way through the map overlays.

I actually like Fallout 4's PipBoy, while there's a lot of unused space, I like that it's contextualized within the world.

I liked Fable III's Sanctuary as well, except for the Road to Rule part. Actually surprised no one has mentioned hating this one yet. II and III both have a great minimalist HUDs though, even has fading elements that some games didn't implement after they released.

Apathy

Borderlands. Both are had, but my god, the original had one of the worst ui I have ever had to use on a mouse and keyboard.

I don't think I've ever hated menus/UI in a game more than how they designed settlement building in Fallout 4. Like I'm willing to overlook the terrible inventory stuff in the Pip-boy over that.

DrArchon

It cannot be repeated enough that Playstation All-Stars has the cheapest looking main menus of all time. They look unbelievably awful on almost every level. If you told me they were made my some high school students as part of a digital arts class I'd believe you.

Rage%2BQuitter%2B-%2BPSASBR%2B-%2BCharacter%2Bselect.png

Look at this shit. Look at those huge rectangles next to the character icons that are just empty space. Look at the huge borders to the sides with even more empty space. It's a joke.

Akronis

ARMA 3 is pretty decent with the UI, except for their fucking context menu (although I don't know if that would count as UI so much as game design). So glad they're getting rid of it.

As much as I love Monster Hunter (3/4, haven't played others)- the menus are horrible (actually, a lot of the interface is pretty bad, and counter-intuitive...).

monsterHunter_3rd.jpg

Especially control options like "Type 1", "Type 2" - I have no idea what they mean...

AAK

PlayStation Battle All-Stars Megamix Whatever had some laughably shitty UI. Amateur hour.

Can't let the thread go too long without Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. It's like a placeholder, or maybe a Flash game.

http://i.imgur.com/EgLQtCr.png[img]

There's an option to hide most of the UI. Not just the Wii Remote outline.[/QUOTE]

[quote="Fbh, post: 207838127"]Playstation All Stars Battle royale.

There is hard to use and ugly bad, and then there is "looks like a fan made menu made in 4 minutes by someone with basic photoshop skills" bad

[IMG]http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2012/10/PSAS-Main-Menu-Header.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="PrivateRyan, post: 207984179"]PlayStation All Stars[/QUOTE]

I admit that PSABR didn't have the most visually appealing Menu design BUT, when it comes to fighting game functionality, PSABR is the best hands down. The speed at which you can navigate from the starting menu onto a game can take approximately 5 seconds when you know where to go. It's the epitome of substance over style. When it comes to the cumulative downtime that plagues fighting games because of slow transitions between menu's, PSABR is supreme.

lazygecko

Funny thing about the SotN menu is that it actually is a temporary placeholder. But Iga liked it so much that he just told them to keep it the way it is.

The Witcher 1 and 2, especially 2. (The Witcher 3's UI was significantly improved with patch 1.2, so although it still has issues it's nowhere near the worst.)

Oblivion - the menu navigation is really poor

Dragon Age 2

Xenoblade Chronicles X - it's ridiculous how tiny a lot of the text is.

void666

Banned
Bethesda is very good at being bad when designing UIs. Skyrim is terrible.
Fallout and its pipboy clusterfuck of interface is also terrible.

Whales

Banned
NHL menus are fucking garbage

they lag like crazy and have insane delay ( you can wait like 3sec+ before it responds)

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
CK2's is insane.
Especially since the text is too small to read on 1080p+ screens, and there's no way to scale it back up.

It doesn't look worst than any Final Fantasy game...... which none of them is mentioned in this thread.

latest

FF7's menu does not come close to look as ugly and unfinished as SOTN's beyond both using shades of blue for the background.

FF7 has more than one type of font and colors for its items. Its more organized and does look like something people went over and finish.

SOTN's has shit on top of shit, horrible blwon up pixelated "pictures" of items, and very few options (what I would've given for an option to turn down the sound effects so I could enjoy the game's sublime music without the sound effects of enemies dying and screaming making my ears bleed).

Funny thing about the SotN menu is that it actually is a temporary placeholder. But Iga liked it so much that he just told them to keep it the way it is.

Not true.

In last year's Double Fine's Devs Play which featured Iga playing SOTN he stated that the menu was indeed placeholder and that they ran out of time because they forgot to change it. It wasnt his intention of releasing the game with that menu.

Syril

As much as I love Monster Hunter (3/4, haven't played others)- the menus are horrible (actually, a lot of the interface is pretty bad, and counter-intuitive...).

monsterHunter_3rd.jpg

Especially control options like "Type 1", "Type 2" - I have no idea what they mean...
The window below the menu says what they mean...

Anura

I admit that PSABR didn't have the most visually appealing Menu design BUT, when it comes to fighting game functionality, PSABR is the best hands down. The speed at which you can navigate from the starting menu onto a game can take approximately 5 seconds when you know where to go. It's the epitome of substance over style. When it comes to the cumulative downtime that plagues fighting games because of slow transitions between menu's, PSABR is supreme.

Have you played Melee? You can be done in the menus in an instant.

It doesn't look worst than any Final Fantasy game...... which none of them is mentioned in this thread.

latest

Final Fantasy VII's menu is much better than SotN. It uses better fonts, different fonts for stats and numbers and is aligned much better. Doesn't matter though, as SotN is still an amazing game and the menu really isn't important.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Fable 3 has the absolute worst menu system of all time.

4UnNROI.jpg

That's not a random screenshot of the game, that's the menu. You actually have to walk around the menu and interact with things in game. It's slow and clunky and just plain moronic.

Top Bottom