• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Guerrilla/Sony let the Decima engine on Xbox?

SkylineRKR

If Death Stranding becomes a hit, I can picture Kojima going full Sony. It if were for him I think MGS would've stayed with Sony as well. If he gets creative freedom at Sony, and DS seems to be a good start with that, I don't see why not.

I don't think Sony is going to loan this engine to competitors.

tbh the Decima is way beyond everything MS have in house lol

I don't think that's fair. The Halo 5 engine is very impressive and we don't know what engine Sea of Thieves is using, as far as I know. Let's see if Death Stranding is running at 60fps and anywhere near the detail of Horizon before we proclaim it to be above and beyond anything MS has produced.

All these threads that are popping up post Horizon release just proves how Sony are doing everything right this generation.

Who would have thought we would see an engine begging and first party studio buying itself out thread haha

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
All these threads that are popping up post Horizon release just proves how Sony are doing everything right this generation.

Who would have thought we would see an engine begging and first party studio buying itself out thread haha
Ya it's been a odd week or two on here

Dynasty

I don't think that's fair. The Halo 5 engine is very impressive and we don't know what engine Sea of Thieves is using, as far as I know. Let's see if Death Stranding is running at 60fps and anywhere near the detail of Horizon before we proclaim it to be above and beyond anything MS has produced.

Sea of Thieves is using UE4.

Defuser

The grass is greener on the other side.

EGOMON

This is a legitimate question at least about KojiPro future after DS, i don't know why everyone is being annoyed/passive aggressive toward the OP

This is a legitimate question at least about KojiPro future after DS, i don't know why everyone is being annoyed/passive aggressive toward the OP

Exactly. I don't even own an Xbox. I was simply being curious about the future of kojima/kojipro and I don't think it's been discussed how much of a potential loss this is for Microsoft and what a huge win it is for Sony

A little bit of research would've told OP that Sony owns Death Stranding, so there's zero chance it or any sequels will ever appear on Xbox.

But even if you ignore that, why on earth would Sony let anyone take their proprietary tech multiplatform? When has that ever happened? Even if Kojima did go multiplatform, there's no reason why Sony would let him take their tech with him, he'd have to start from scratch again.

because we have such threads being created for the past 2 weeks......on the possibility of playstation exclusives arriving on competing platforms......but you don't see the other way around..

i mean...when's the last time someone create a thread to ask when is mario kart/Halo gonna come to playstation?

A little bit of research would've told OP that Sony owns Death Stranding, so there's zero chance it or any sequels will ever appear on Xbox.

But even if you ignore that, why on earth would Sony let anyone take their proprietary tech multiplatform? When has that ever happened? Even if Kojima did go multiplatform, there's no reason why Sony would let him take their tech with him, he'd have to start from scratch again.

I should have looked into the ip rights of death stranding. I didn't realise Sony owned it. I thought it was a street fighter 5 situation were Sony were publishing and helping with the funding.

EGOMON

Exactly. I don't even own an Xbox. I was simply being curious about the future of kojima/kojipro and I don't think it's been discussed how much of a potential loss this is for Microsoft and what a huge win it is for Sony
Same here never owned Xbox i only game on Playstation but i still found this question interesting and wanted to read the discussion but most of the reply were non-answer/jokes/aggression

There were some responses that answered OPs question and some other interesting developers dynamic i didn't know, it was good to read thats why i was surprised at the reaction here

The Giant

Banned
Man...First we have portbegging....Then we have the 'if Sony release ps4 remote play app on switch' thread....Now we have an 'engine-begging' thread...

I expect the next thread title to be 'will Sony allow naughty dog/guerilla to do contract work if Microsoft knock on their door to do the next *insert Ms 1st party up here*?'

We are going into some twilight zone level of hypothesis.

Gaf is getting dumber and dumber when they throw logic out the window.

Well, he's set up a development team close to Guerrilla, so presumably using Decima will not be a one-off. I wrote about this on the last page:

You're right, but Kojima specifically chose Guerrilla's engine for Death Stranding. Which means one of three things as far as I can tell:

1) He's going to be making multiple Death Stranding games and will be using Decima for all of them.
2) He will be making something else after Death Stranding and will be allowed to use Decima for his next project.
3) He will be making something else after Death Stranding but will switch to a new engine.

Option 3 seems extremely unlikely given that he's set up a Kojima Productions studio in Amsterdam to work with Guerrilla and co-develop the engine. Option 1 is quite likely because Sony tends to sign devs up for 3 game contracts. Option 2 is so-so in my opinion, although given his prominence in the industry he may have been able to negotiate a unique deal whereby he can use Decima on other platforms after DS. There's also the fact that this was at one point supposed to be coming to PC which means this may not be too unlikely.

Same here never owned Xbox i only game on Playstation but i still found this question interesting and wanted to read the discussion but most of the reply were non-answer/jokes/aggression

There were some responses that answered OPs question and some other interesting developers dynamic i didn't know, it was good to read thats why i was surprised at the reaction here

In defence of some of the posters who did react like that I don't think the title of the thread represented the OP and if there is one thing that I've learnt about gaf is a lot of people don't read the OP. The engine begging suggestions are hilarious as I don't even own an Xbox or a gaming pc

EGOMON

Well, he's set up a development team close to Guerrilla, so presumably using Decima will not be a one-off. I wrote about this on the last page:

Yes yours was one of the few that actually had a level-headed and informed reply which i thank you i actually thought about a 4th option after i read your reply and that keeping DS on Playsation and have another multiplatform project.
I feel like Koji went with Sony with DS to secure his studio financial state and expand from there in the future, he will use Decima for Sony exclusive games then use the money to fund other multiplatform project using 3rd party engines it is a win-win situation for all

Yes yours was one of the few that actually had a level-headed and informed reply which i thank you i actually thought about a 4th option after i read your reply and that keeping DS on Playsation and have another multiplatform project.
I feel like Koji went with Sony with DS to secure his studio financial state and expand from there in the future, he will use Decima for Sony exclusive games then use the money to fund other multiplatform project using 3rd party engines it is a win-win situation for all

I don't find KojiPro developing two separate games particularly feasible any time soon because of the sheer manpower required for a single big-budget AAA game these days. Maybe if/when they can grow to about 300+ people that might be a possibility, unless they have two production teams but one development team who switches over so they're always busy.

Its a question we literally know nothing about. It is a stupid question IMO as we literally know nothing about the game yet alone what Kojima's plans are post DS

The facts we currently have is: Kojima is using a 1st part Sony engine to develop his next game exclusively for Sony.

If I was a betting man, I wouldn't just use an engine for one game. So I'd say he will stay exclusive to Sony for a few games

EGOMON

I don't find KojiPro developing two separate games particularly feasible any time soon because of the sheer manpower required for a single big-budget AAA game these days. Maybe if/when they can grow to about 300+ people that might be a possibility, unless they have two production teams but one development team who switches over so they're always busy.
Yeah i meant one team switching between Playstation and Multiplatform it will help the studio to grow both financially and technically not to mention experimenting with new stuff when you always know you can go back to the sure-fire titles

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 run on the same engine Dark Souls 2 uses which isn't Phyre. Durante confirmed this a while back as well as DS2s director. Demons Souls and Dark Souls run on Phyre though.

This is false. All of those games run on From Software's proprietary engine. Not one of them is using Phyre Engine, a common misconception as confirmed by the head of the PhyreEngine Team at SIE.

notphyreenginel7uqa.png

Jonnax

More dev making games for you, the merrier. Same reason why developing for iOS is free. Did you know Android development and tools are all free? Why do you think Unity is so popular?

It's not free to support an engine.
Sony would need to provide documentation, customer support, etc.

The market is also already served by Unreal, Unity and perhaps Cryengine as well.
What is the differentiator here?

It's not free to support an engine.
Sony would need to provide documentation, customer support, etc.

The market is also already served by Unreal, Unity and perhaps Cryengine as well.
What is the differentiator here?

As a platform owner, it is in their best interest to open up their tools. It is always easier to hire developers for such platforms. Even a par game engine from Sony is very attractive IMO. Because developers care more about the size of the audience. The quality of tools itself is secondary.

Joni

You're right, but Kojima specifically chose Guerrilla's engine for Death Stranding. Which means one of three things as far as I can tell:

1) He's going to be making multiple Death Stranding games and will be using Decima for all of them.
2) He will be making something else after Death Stranding and will be allowed to use Decima for his next project.
3) He will be making something else after Death Stranding but will switch to a new engine.

Option 3 seems extremely unlikely given that he's set up a Kojima Productions studio in Amsterdam to work with Guerrilla and co-develop the engine. Option 1 is quite likely because Sony tends to sign devs up for 3 game contracts. Option 2 is so-so in my opinion, although given his prominence in the industry he may have been able to negotiate a unique deal whereby he can use Decima on other platforms after DS. There's also the fact that this was at one point supposed to be coming to PC which means this may not be too unlikely.

It is probably just a sign that he is sticking with Sony for the short term and gives him room to move onto his own engine when necessary.

CamHostage

As a platform owner, it is in their best interest to open up their tools. It is always easier to hire developers for such platforms. Even a par game engine from Sony is very attractive IMO. Because developers care more about the size of the audience. The quality of tools itself is secondary.

But we're not talking about CELL processors and VPUs here where only the kings had the keys to the castle. Xbox and PS4 are essentially PCs with their own special secret sauces, it's not hard to make a game for either platform. Easily-available and insanely-affordable development suites like Unity and Unreal are right there to use. Developers have all the tools they need.

Most likely. The way games are made these days, the idea that KojiPro would become like the next PlatinumGames with lots of projects to juggle is sadly wishful thinking.

...That said, if Kojima were to come to Sony and say, "You know, I'm thinking of an iPhone/Android companion app and we think it'd be easiest if we kept the same engine" or "Wow, I got this multiplatform contract bid that'll let me keep staff on after Stranding ships while we go into pre-pro on the sequel, would it be a problem if we used Decima for the prototype?", it'd be something for Sony to think about.

...The other possible side of it is Supermassive, who are tight with Sony now but are still independent. If they were paid to do another Dr Who game for instance, I think they could make an arguable case to Sony that Decima works better in its workflow than Unreal (and they'd have even more experience and feedback to fuel its Sony products.)

It's not like there are secrets in Decima to protect from falling into the wrong hands. It sounds like a great development suite and rendering engine, but the true power behind Horizon is half a decade of hard work and elite coding/designing staff.

Top Bottom