• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would this generation of consoles been better if Sony/Microsoft hadn't tried to shoehorn raytracing into the hardware and reallocate tech elsewhere?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have seen no evidence that ray tracing was a "focus" for the console. Games have ray tracing, but that doesn't mean they were enough of a "focus" that warranted a thread creation.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Much like 4k, it was inevitable. You just have to go through it's growing pains like the rest of us.
4k is completely different and awesome. Makes any game look good. I hear 1080p streams that still play on 24” monitors.
Dude I have 48” tv on my desk. I would take 8k if it was feasible.
And worth dlss, there are no downsides to 4k

Barakov

Hard to say. Honestly, for most games don't they have an option to turn off RT? It's usually performance/quality/RT(if available) mode. The apu both of them chose had RT a part of the package so it doesn't make sense for them to disable it. I can't think of any game that forces RT on you.

If you want RT with all the bells and whistles then a beefy PC is your best choice. Both parties should've of chosen a apu that goes above and beyond for 4k60. RT probably won't be viable for consoles till the next cycle.

And worth dlss, there are no downsides to 4k
I like 4k too, but 'no downsides to 4k' has a big asterisk next to it. It truly depends on who you ask.

Also, it took us a long while to get to a comfortable point with dlss and 4k output. This is what I mean by growing pains. This is that generation of growing pains and as I've said here and elsewhere, raytracing and 4k are both big reasons for these growing pains, especially for console like the OP implies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I like 4k too, but 'no downsides to 4k' has a big asterisk next to it. It truly depends on who you ask.

Also, it took us a long while to get to a comfortable point with dlss and 4k output. This is what I mean by growing pains. This is that generation of growing pains and as I've said here and elsewhere, raytracing and 4k are both big reasons for these growing pains, especially for console like the OP implies.
I am downscaling from 4k since at least 2014. Gedosato days. 2019 for first 4k monitor. I’ve been early adopter.

look at rebirth. Game looks amazing where it matters. Same with Elden ring. These games would’ve taken twice the time and money to develop with all modern techniques or would’ve to be reduced in size.

I am downscaling from 4k since at least 2014. Gedosato days. 2019 for first 4k monitor. I’ve been early adopter.

look at rebirth. Game looks amazing where it matters. Same with Elden ring. These games would’ve taken twice the time and money to develop with all modern techniques or would’ve to be reduced in size.
But you're mainly arguing against it now, because we haven't seen it at a peak yet and it's barely being implemented today. We don't know what the payoff will be yet for us and for devs, until we reach PS6 or PS7.

I try to never judge early versions of anything as if they're final products. Same goes for AI.

gothmog

Gold Member
Are you implying this generation is worse or something? I can play more games at 60+fps than pretty much any modern generation.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Yes..........

If you are not doing raytraced lighting like Robocop, Avatar, or Metro Exodus then you shouldn't even bother.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Used it in Call of Duty Cold War when I got my RTX 3080, and couldn't tell any difference. Granted that was an early game, but all the same I doubt an early PC game is any less impressive than a recent console game with ray tracing.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
YES 1000% percent. Ray tracing has no benefit for console gamers. HDR is fine for this gen. Having ray tracing at the expense of frame rate is stupid. Release it on the PS6 when you can actually implement it properly and not half baked without penalty.

Lupin25

Nah.

Once the PS5 Pro comes out people will say RT wasn’t as worth it on lesser hardware, but in reality, most game engines haven’t even been designed or optimized to take full advantage of it yet.

Obviously there’s a limit with Og hardware, but RT/global illumination will be a game-changer eventually, especially when it comes to saving devs precious time.

Topher

Gold Member
I wouldn't go that far. But I'll say ray tracing should never be forced into games (a al Jedi Survivor) until it has a negligible hit to performance across the board. Ray Tracing is a good step forward for graphics overall though.

Hoddi

I don't think it would have changed anything. It's not like the these consoles would have become twice faster or have twice the memory.

Going from 8GB to 16GB was always a too small increase to see big generational leaps. Removing RT support wouldn't have changed that.

Mr Moose

Y'all do know that Ray-Tracing use the same compute that other graphical tasks use right? There was nothing taken away to add Ray-Tracing lol
fps:
tenor.gif

Gamerguy84

Controls floors wouldn't have been as shiny. As f or Spider-Man I don't ever look at my reflection while crawling on the side of buildings. GT has some pretty cool reflections but they didn't affect my gaming experience.

My answer is no. I'm surprised they shoe horned it in anyway. Other methods would have been good enough at the level PS5 games have it.

onQ123

I don't think it would have changed anything. It's not like the these consoles would have become twice faster or have twice the memory.

Going from 8GB to 16GB was always a too small increase to see big generational leaps. Removing RT support wouldn't have changed that.

The biggest limitation this generation is actually self imposed by the devs & publishers because we are in the digital download era & no one wants to make 500GB + games because people wouldn't want to download it & take up all their storage space

Sakura

Most console games that have raytracing are barely using it anyway. I don't really think there would be any noticeable difference, and I don't see how devs choosing to implement some form of RT in their game is Sony/MS shoehorning it in.

Umbral

YES 1000% percent. Ray tracing has no benefit for console gamers. HDR is fine for this gen. Having ray tracing at the expense of frame rate is stupid. Release it on the PS6 when you can actually implement it properly and not half baked without penalty.
Metro: Exodus running RTGI at 60fps says hi.

zeroluck

RDNA 2 ray tracing silicon takes up 1-2% of die space at most... PS5 Pro is going to be RDNA 3.5, ray tracing is still an afterthought compared to Nvidia. You will have to wait for at least RDNA 5 if want to complain about any potential hardware misallocation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
With whatever chips PS and Xbox got, was RT built into the chips anyway by AMD? Or they had reasonable choice to exclude that feature?

bitbydeath

I’d rather we drop RT, keep 4K and make 30FPS the standard.

Last edited:

Crayon

It was already in rdna2. Probably no small job to try and take that out and redesign the pipe for die space.

trikster40

Nope. It’s all good, consoles plenty powerful. I can’t imagine playing GTA online without ray tracing, os Spidey, Makws a huge difference in open world games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We are reaching the end of what raster can achieve. RT is practically unlimited.
Rt is just one of the methods to render graphics someone invented. Pretty ancient and brute force too. There must be other ways

Top Bottom