• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you like the next main Final Fantasy to have the same art style as KingsGlaive?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
No, because I want a mainline modern Final Fantasy that doesn't take a decade to make for once.
The artstyle wasn't the reason the game was in development hell, the horrendous tools they were using was, technically FFXV in it's current release took four years to develop, which is pretty standard as far as game development for huge open worlds go, (assuming it's a relatively polished release).

Koozek

Honestly, as far as JRPGs go, I feel like Final Fantasy has shown some restraint. It's undeniably Japanese, but rarely has it been overwhelmingly so (in my opinion). I love Kingsglaive/FFXV's direction as a one off and for its similarities to parts of FFVIII, but I'd like XVI to lean more towards traditional fantasy. More Western in the sense that the first five or six games in the series were very much based on Western fantasy. Ivalice, FFXI and FFXIV are more or less what I'm asking for. I feel like those are close enough to the series' roots of knights, wizard, European style castles, etc. while still setting themselves apart from actual WRPGs. Preferably they would then alternate between more traditional fantasy and science fantasy for each installment.
According to Verendus it seems FFXVI is more medieval again, but who knows if plans changed since he talked about it:
Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.

I knew of three. XV, another one which had a concept demo showcasing summons and traversal involving them and what I initially called FFXVI but now refer to as just another FF, and finally FF7. The middle one is what I assumed to be FFXVI or the next FF project beyond XV. This one comes out of nowhere. These spoilers are very detailed though. I'm hoping this is mobile, because if it's not, that means there is no FFXVI at the moment. There's no way SE can be doing this many big FF projects.

A lot of the FFs are a mash up in my eyes. Even IX which has the tone you're describing has airships and so on.

XVI will be the opposite of XIII though. It's not futuristic so you might get what you want with that.

AgeEighty

What I want is for S-E to go back to more creativity in its character designs. VI, VII and IX were really the apex of this. With VIII and from X onwards they've gotten away from the weirdness that used to define the series with characters like Mog, Red XIII and Vivi, and it's poorer for it. Realism be damned.

I don't care. FF can do whatever it wants artstyle-wise, and I'll be there day one.

That's pretty much my attitude as well. I doubt they're ever going to go completely western. Even if they do go for a slightly more photo-realistic look, they're always going to be beautiful models with nutty ass hair.

Koozek

That's pretty much my attitude as well. I doubt they're ever going to go completely western. Even if they do go for a slightly more photo-realistic look, they're always going to be beautiful models with nutty ass hair.

LOL. Had to read several times until I realized you meant "nutty-ass hair" and not "nutty ass-hair".

I might be the only one who feels this way but I'm a big fan of culture. I don't want Japan's contributions to gaming culture to go away and if that means they make fantasy games with swords bigger than buildings and women dressed scantily clad then so be it. Not saying we don't have that, but I want that culture to be preserved. We have western Devs making western experiences. I think we would be worse off if everyone, including the Japanese, were making western experiences.

That isn't to say I don't appreciate Dark Souls and other attempts to meld the two styles. I just don't think we would be better off with one and not the other. We need to, and should be, accepting of one and all. Then let the market decide what is successful and what is not.

AlucardGV

Banned
OP probably means for characters to look more western like in Kingsglaive.

00.-Kingsglaive-Characters-Banner.jpg

no no no go away with that

Crossing Eden

I might be the only one who feels this way but I'm a big fan of culture. I don't want Japan's contributions to gaming culture to go away and if that means they make fantasy games with swords bigger than buildings and women dressed scantily clad then so be it. Not saying we don't have that, but I want that culture to be preserved. We have western Devs making western experiences. I think we would be worse off if everyone, including the Japanese, were making western experiences.

That isn't to say I don't appreciate Dark Souls and other attempts to meld the two styles. I just don't think we would be better off with one and not the other. We need to, and should be, accepting of one and all. Then let the market decide what is successful and what is not.
That's not necessarily Japanese culture though, in fact one might say the opposite since a lot of things like that are due to the constant need to appeal to a niche and that Japanese developers would probably be open to trying different things than just appealing to that niche. If anything, the stagnation caused by that is why Japan and JRPGs in general are so much less relevant in the gaming mainstream compared to the ps2 era. And if anything else, I'd like to see more eastern culture and influence in Japanese games instead of anime influence.

Personally i wouldn't because it looks too Western and photorealistic for me (which i don't think fits with Final Fantasy) but i'd be curious to know what other people think.

I didn't think cars and guns fit with Final Fantasy and figured they would be a one off with FFVII (which I was ok with) but 20 years later, they're still around.

King's Glaive is fine. As for the Western thing, Japanese prefer white characters above all else in their media anyway. Their goal has always been photo realism as well, going back to Spirits Within.

Crossing Eden

KingsGlaive's characters look they've been pulled from a Ubisoft game.
Lol based on how Ubisoft designs their characters, no they don't. Kingsglaive characters are way more overdesigned than what you see in Ubi's output. The only thing that would make them similar is basing the characters off of the actors who play them. Which is incredibly prevalent among triple A games these days.

Koozek

And that's definitely a good thing to want! Personally, I really think that Kingsglaive and FFXV strike a great middle ground, though, while still being unmistakably Japanese. No Western studio would've made a game like FFXV or a movie like Kingsglaive. The choreographies and cinematography in the action scenes and combat in the movie and game are still very much rooted in the Advent Children and modern FF aesthetics. The over-the-top summon sequences are also something you just wouldn't see in a WRPG. On the one hand some of the side characters in Kingslgaive look a bit too generic, yeah, but on the other hand some of the main characters' designs in FFXV are too Anime. That's why the middle ground is the ideal, and SE is slowly but surely finding it, imo. I absolutely can't wait to see how FFXVI looks!

Koozek

KingsGlaive's characters look they've been pulled from a Ubisoft game.

I mean, I kinda see where these comments come from and it might be my confirmation-bias here - also I don't know much of AssCreed -, but I think it's still more over-designed and "flowery" (for lack of a better word) than Ubisoft designs. Correct me if I'm wrong and post examples of AssCreed or so, I'm curious.

e7DV0Ly.jpg

I mean, I kinda see where these comments come from and it might be my confirmation-bias here - also I don't know much of AssCreed -, but I think it's still more over-designed and "flowery" (for lack of a better word) than Ubisoft designs. Correct me if I'm wrong and post examples of AssCreed or so, I'm curious.

e7DV0Ly.jpg

People are ONLY saying they look like something from Ubisoft because of their Westernized faces. Their clothing style is pretty heavy JRPG in style. And I know some wisenheimer will say, "But, they are dressed more Western, like knights, while the originals were dressed like Yakuza, in chic dress suits... which everybody knows originated in JAPAN!"

Had the characters had more Asian characteristics, I can guess people wouldn't be griping as much(well, Yakuza people would, but that's just an issue of clothing taste). Nyx is dressed like a typical JRPG main hero, complete with standout scarf that flows out behind him, giving him some extended flair in combat, or when dashing through the air(stylistic trail). Luna almost looks like her clothing is somewhat inspired by Amano's heroines, a cross between Terra's clothing and Celes's "Maria dress".

According to Verendus it seems FFXVI is more medieval again, but who knows if plans changed since he talked about it:

Is there a chance they're referring to World of Final Fantasy there? Especially the part involving summons and traversal makes me think that. Did Verendus allude to anything like World of FF anywhere else?

zoukka

XV is already generic enough. That Kingslaive looks like trash. Nothing about it says "Final Fantasy".

Why do people want all stylized and fantastical stuff to disappear from video games? Might as well give the series to a western developer.

XV is already generic enough. That Kingslaive looks like trash. Nothing about it says "Final Fantasy".

Why do people want all stylized and fantastical stuff to disappear from video games? Might as well give the series to a western developer.
What is Final Fantasy to u? Every game since 7 has been pretty damn different

Would be cool, as long as the main cast is diverse.

That's what's lacking in XV (ignoring my issues with its gameplay), not a decent art direction.

jiggle

I like varieties
So sure why not
Especially if it plays like dragons dogma
Their lack of diversity really needs to be fixed if they go this route though

With that said
I love theIr current aesthetics
Especially as the real time stuff is getting closer and closer to visual works'
So don't see a need for change

Astral Dog

There are some designs i dont like (those weird realistic faces) but overall looks solid, would not mind a similar look for a game, specially the two main characters

AgeEighty

People are ONLY saying they look like something from Ubisoft because of their Westernized faces. Their clothing style is pretty heavy JRPG in style. And I know some wisenheimer will say, "But, they are dressed more Western, like knights, while the originals were dressed like Yakuza, in chic dress suits... which everybody knows originated in JAPAN!"

Had the characters had more Asian characteristics, I can guess people wouldn't be griping as much(well, Yakuza people would, but that's just an issue of clothing taste). Nyx is dressed like a typical JRPG main hero, complete with standout scarf that flows out behind him, giving him some extended flair in combat, or when dashing through the air(stylistic trail). Luna almost looks like her clothing is somewhat inspired by Amano's heroines, a cross between Terra's clothing and Celes's "Maria dress".

I don't agree with this at all. There is a marked difference between this aesthetic and the one from Final Fantasy games prior to XII. There are fewer risks being taken here, less quirkiness.

patapuf

I don't really think FF ever had bad art direction? And they seem to be willing to mix it up, which is just fine.

I really doubt FF is ever going for a fully stylized look ala FF IX again though.

Form the more recent titles and the tech demo's they put out, it leans more towards photorealistic with stylized elements rather than the other way round.

zoukka

What is Final Fantasy to u? Every game since 7 has been pretty damn different

Finla Fantasy has always stood out from other games because of their immense budget, good art team and stylized approach to the visuals/world design. XV is the first Final Fantasy where you can take screenshots of the environment and nobody can tell what generic unity tech demo it is (unless of course you take a shot with an iconic character in it).

It's sad.

Dark_castle

I don't really think FF ever had bad art direction? And they seem to be willing to mix it up, which is just fine.

I really doubt FF is ever going for a fully stylized look ala FF IX again though.

Form the more recent titles and the tech demo's they put out, it leans more towards photorealistic with stylized elements rather than the other way round.

Yeah, I doubt that too, which is a real shame, because modern AAA titles these days are looking more and more homogeneous, character design and models looking more and more life-like that any kind of original, creative and interesting expression of visual art and design are becoming more muddled and pushed aside in favor of pixels, technical fidelity and realism.

Now mostly only indie developers and Nintendo (and other smaller developer studios/teams) are willing to put out games that still evoke a sense of fantasy and imagination from aesthetics perspective.

Koozek

Is there a chance they're referring to World of Final Fantasy there? Especially the part involving summons and traversal makes me think that. Did Verendus allude to anything like World of FF anywhere else?
I asked Verendus last year if what they saw maybe was a prototype of World of FF back then and they said that it wasn't.
What about Type-1?
I actually thought about the same because it would fit their description of "unique concept", but I think I asked and got no answer. I'll check later, though. Maybe it was ruled out already.

Shahed

Not really. FFXV looks realistic enough for my liking, i'd rather have something more stylised again. Been a while wince we had a one with an aesthetic like IX for example. They can go back for the Kingsglaive look after a few more entries, say for FFXVIII or something.

Fbh

I mean, I prefer the western stylized version seen in the movie over the cast of XV that seems to have arrived directly from a fashion show.

But I would honestly prefer a less realistic design for their next game. Something like FFIX

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Naah, bored with 'realistic' looking RPGs, especially in a series that prides itself in the out-there. The more fantastical, the better! I'd love something that looks like Amano's watercolor paintings or even something going back to FF9's style.

Sadly, there's a ton of people out there who would wish for that.

Finla Fantasy has always stood out from other games because of their immense budget, good art team and stylized approach to the visuals/world design. XV is the first Final Fantasy where you can take screenshots of the environment and nobody can tell what generic unity tech demo it is (unless of course you take a shot with an iconic character in it).

It's sad.
Altissia looks very artistically styled. I think the fault goes to their approach to only showing us Duscae and sand areas so as not to show everything else.

But if you're an observant consumer for this game, in the trailers there is clear evidence to fantastical lands that screams oh shit like other FF locations.

Can't wait till this game releases, I'm ready to be wowed like usual as there's still so much we haven't seen!

It's sad.

You can say the exact same thing about the other FFs you know...

Maybe if FFXV were already released and we'd have actually seen all the locations in that world and not just the regular plains from the start of the game you'd have a point.

Top Bottom