• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would You Rather: Never Need To Sleep Or Never Need To Excrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love sleep. As someone who works overnights my days off can be kind of boring from 2am-7am on a Wednesday. Pljs think of all the money you will save on TP.

zon

Never need to sleep. It's not a fair comparison. Either gain 5-8 more hours everyday to do things, or gain 5-20 minutes extra every day.

I get a lot of creative ideas from my dreams, so I wouldn't want to give up sleeping.

I can live without ever having to shit again.

Meadows

Banned
Man, life would be really weird if there was no open and close to a day. Just a constant...

I'll lose the shitting.

I'd get very bored through the night if I couldn't sleep, plus dreams! Good dreams are wonderful. I'd rather not have to take time out of my waking hours to spend it on the toilet.

MsKrisp

I think the better decision here is no sleep vs no eating. When I consider the time and money I have to sink into thinking about food, purchasing food, preparing, then eating, then cleaning up from cooking, THEN finally excreting it all out - if we could just do away with that whole system? That makes is a real hard call between no sleeping and no eating.

Edit - not to mention if you take away sleep, that's easily 1-2 more meals per day which really drives up the cost and the amount of shit you're dealing with daily.

Really, this. Most other excretions are pretty important (sweat, sex fluids, etc). And I have a deep love affair with sleep, I'd never give it up. But making sure I get enough food to eat so I don't get dizzy is time consuming and forces me to stop what I'm doing. If I don't have the time to make the best choices my whole body punishes me. It can be a real hassle when you're constantly busy. Removing all the needs of the digestive system entirely would be the real time saver here. Also the idea of never needing to use the restroom in public is really appealing.

(also why is everyone making this about time?)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I kinda like taking shits, and sleep just sucks 1/3 of my life away. So I'd rather not sleep.

Hjod

Banned
Sleep, you would have so much more time to live. Easy choice.

I wish I could do both at the same time.

image.php

Wait so I dont need to sleep but Im still able to sleep right? Like if I just want a quick nap (helps me thinking) I can go for it?

Sleep it is then...

entremet

Easiest answer ever and I love sleep.

The benefits of not needing to sleep would be enormous.

What's so great about taking a crap?

Not need to sleep: Interesting, given how little sleep I get. I would take it if it implies I can voluntarily sleep to pass a hangover or when being sick.

Not need to poop: After going through bad constipation, maybe it's better than not needing to sleep. Also, cleaner anal sex.

Sleep, easy one. So much extra time to do things. Those who like napping I think might not be thinking this through. Without getting tired you wouldnt want a nap in the first place.

Plus taking a dump can be deeply satisfying at times....

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Wouldn't that mean I'd never be tired? Holy shit that'd be amazing. I don't get enough sleep ever, and I'm always tired.

Aske

Sleep, easy one. So much extra time to do things. Those who like napping I think might not be thinking this through. Without getting tired you wouldnt want a nap in the first place.

Sleeping with a partner is amazing. I'm not giving that up in favour of just laying awake next to someone.

This thread seems to boil down to "do sleeping and dreaming enrich your life?" and "do you enjoy mandatory breaks from reality?". I'd say "no" to the second question, but it's trumped by my "yes" to the first. I love the whole culture surrounding sleep, and shared experience of sleeping. I get why people who really crave more time would choose to free themselves from sleep, but I'm not okay missing out on wake-up sex for the rest of my life.

If the question was just "would you like to never need sleep again?" (let's assume you can't choose to sleep for fun, otherwise there's no discussion), I'd still say no. Never needing to empty my bowels and bladder again is just a sweet bonus.

Falchion

Never needing to sleep would be awesome, but only if you had the option to if you want. Sometimes it's fun to sleep with someone.

FoxSpirit

Wouldn't that mean I'd never be tired? Holy shit that'd be amazing. I don't get enough sleep ever, and I'm always tired.
Right? Noone I know at work gets enough sleep, that one guy who only needs 3 hours aside. Dude is always so damn well rested. I am most likely the most wasted.

nded

Assuming there isn't some kind of monkey's paw price to be paid for either, I'd take never needing to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom