• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you use a bespoke NeoGAF mobile app?

Would you use a bespoke NeoGAF mobile app?

• Total voters

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m sure I’m not alone in primarily browsing GAF on my phone. And while the NeoGAF mobile site is genuinely phenomenal (seriously, enormous props to the admins/designers), the one issue I have with it is that it’s not contained in its own app.

Instead, I manually add the bookmark to my phone’s home screen, and open it from there like an app. This unfortunately has the side effect of opening a new tab in my browser, and since I’m a degenerate GAF addict, that means that I accumulate hundreds of tabs that I have to clear every few weeks.

A fairly easy solution would be to simply create an app that’s just a container for the mobile site in a native browser. (This is something that can be done in a matter of hours in Xcode, at least, and I’d totally be willing to do it.) It wouldn’t change the experience in any way, but it would separate standard browser use from GAF use.

Maybe I’m the only one who cares about this, though. Still, I think it would be great to have as an option. 🙏

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
giphy.gif

I would be curious to see how it looks and feels.

I browse GAF on Safari on my iPhone and it works great except that often times images within posts don't show up. If an app can fix that while conserving the slickness and ease of use of the browser version, I'm in.

sono

Gold Member
Pc and phone browsers work ok. The issue with phone is not the browser but the size of keyboard for my hands and not gaf specific in that respect

A neat hack to create your own free Neogaf mobile app is to download a separate browser that you’ll exclusively use for Neogaf and then manually block every other website on the internet one at a time.

Tams

Are you using an iPhone?

If you have a proper phone, you can just use a browser like Vivaldi and 'install' any website as an app. It opens in its own instance so doesn't open new tabs.

GCL06hw.jpg
Dkzagbo.jpg
gQLJuXu.jpg

I don't why you'd want to though, as then it acts like an app and doesn't have tabs, so you can't be a true GAF degenerate.

Fbh

No, I'm fine with the normal site.
And if I started getting annoying messages to use the app all the time it would actively make me like the site less.

Half the reason I never got into stuff like Twitter and Reddit is that I can't stand when they start to whine about wanting me to use the App as soon as I visit them on a regular browser.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

No, I don't use additional apps except for the banking app & spotify. I can do the same things on my browser and also have better control over the ads & privacy.

Rockondevil

Are you using an iPhone?

If you have a proper phone, you can just use a browser like Vivaldi and 'install' any website as an app. It opens in its own instance so doesn't open new tabs.

Even easier on an iPhone as you don't need anything that isn't already installed.

Open GAF on Safari and click "Add to Home Screen". BOOM you have your very on GAF "app".

Top Bottom