• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want an F-Zero GX DX on the Switch?

Phoenixus

A GX remaster would be an ideal substitute if Nintendo are wary of the series' current sales potential. Would be an excellent project for Bluepoint.

NO, F-Zero is unplayable with digital triggers. Switch and the Wii/u don't have analog triggers so forget about it

This

It may end up outselling the original due to a vocal internet fanbase but I don't think it's really worth it. It's 2017, people wouldn't want to master this game, they would just go back to Mario Kart instead. Look at all the modern arcade-style games that get bad review scores for difficulty or lasting appeal or whatnot.

I know it's been a while since the last F-Zero but I don't think this is the right procedure for a series revival. Metroid can get away with a remake and another first person game rather than pushing the series forward in terms of story/setting/gameplay perspective because the fans were simply thirsty for a game in the genre. Futuristic racers are a niche genre, especially compared to adventure games, or more specifically Metroid-likes(vanias lol), a term that was commonly used to describe a genre even when that series was "dead". For F-Zero, you'd either need a brand new game with way more modes than either GX or the GBA games or even a game with an "open world" story mode about bounty hunting like in the Need For Speed games or whatnot.

ec0ec0

So you think its the pinnacle of game design and can't be improved upon?.

no.

I am usually under the impression that I am quite good, especially at futuristic racers

doesn't matter.

I still have no idea of have you played. If i'm going to talk/held (or whatever) someone about GX gameplay, first thing i've to do, is getting an idea of how they play. I would start right away asking "do you quick turn?". If they answer "yes" that gives me a lot of information, because it means that the are aware of what i'm talking about, they know how to do it, and it gives me an idea of how they actually play (how they take each turn). After that, i would see if they know how to do the basic turn transitions (efficiently changing from on type of turn into another), this gives me an idea of their understanding of the turning mechanics in the game, etc...

if the player in question is not aware of this things, a simple reply containing the appropiate answers will very signifivantly change his/her experience with the game. For example, my experience with the game was very different, after i had read just a couple of lines on the internet, compared to what it was many year before that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I would probably buy it solely for the new tracks, but I would not be happy. I want a new game. I have a GameCube (and a Wii, which I usually use for GameCube games) and the original game, so why would I ever want a port of this?

Wamb0wneD

I just want Gamecube VC tbh. That way Nintendo can estimate demand for the series and i can play this game and stuff like TTYD on the go.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
This would be near impossible to play without analog triggers. Once they can figure that problem out, then we can start talking in earnest.

clem84

Gold Member
I was about to say make it 1080p 60 fps but then the framerate was never really a problem was it?

The original was such a gem that they could take it as is, slap a 720 / 1080 mode on it, put it on the switch and I'd be happy.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If it's a choice between GX HD and nothing, then of course I'd take it. It's one of the greatest racing games of all time. It's never going to be more exciting than a new game though.

This would be near impossible to play without analog triggers. Once they can figure that problem out, then we can start talking in earnest.
nintendo-switch-gamecube-skin-1.jpg.optimal.jpg

Bonus: Gamecube virtual console

Hell yes, but Nintendo doesn’t give a fuck about the franchise anymore unfortunately.

An easy remaster of GX or hell even the GCN version on virtual console (which again they are keeping quiet about for no reason) would be ideal but this is Nintendo we’re talking about.

SeanR1221

I agree not much else can be done with the series and with Mario Kart selling so well why reinvent fzero.

I'll take an fzero collection with all 3 games + online play over a new one.

Fiendcode

I really wanted F-Zero X 3D on 3DS after the fantastic remakes of Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time. Update the visuals, throw in the 64DD stuff, add online and you'd have had a pretty amazing package.

Would have loved more N64 remakes on 3DS general tbh (Super Mario 64, Waverace 64, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo V2, etc). At least we still got Majora's Mask.

Yoshi

I agree not much else can be done with the series and with Mario Kart selling so well why reinvent fzero.

I'll take an fzero collection with all 3 games + online play over a new one.
There are six:
F-Zero
F-Zero X (it also has an expansion pack)
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
F-Zero GX / AX
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero Climax

Nanashrew

Banned
Not completely. They liked it enough to put it in Nintendo Land. Still, that's obviously little comfort to anyone.

I consider Nintendo Land a compilation of games rather than a full spinoff to anything specific. How many people here keep pitching the idea of a Captain Falcon beat'em up :p. That would be a fun spinoff game

Koren

I'd take anything F-Zero related, VC, port, remaster or new game...

And MK8 is just trolling...

Hell, just an HD re-release would already be fantastic.
Put the AX content in it and online and it'd be glorious.
AX is already available in GX??

About online, I can see them avoiding F-Zero because latency won't look good in F-Zero.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hell yes, but Nintendo doesn’t give a fuck about the franchise anymore unfortunately.

Nintendo gives a fuck about all it's franchises, sometimes you just have to wait. How long did we have to wait for Kid Icarus Uprising?

Arcade racers are a non-existent market at this time so I understand why a new game is unlikely. A remaster of GX would be an adequate compensation.

Koren

This would be near impossible to play without analog triggers.
Put accelerate/brake on shoulder buttons and handle aero using R-stick? I can see it working...

Though I wonder if it's really that impossible with digital buttons for L/R... (you can even use L1/L2 for soft and hard aero)

Zero83

Remastering F-Zero GX makes too much sense. I don't think Nintendo could ever top GX, but it could be greatly improved by adding online multiplayer, improving the resolution and perhaps add a few new tracks. GC-style joy cons could make sure the controls stay intact. (Of course, releasing new joy cons wouldn't be worth it for Nintendo unless it works with VC and Smash bros too)

The Wipeout remaster is a big success and I fail to see why an F-Zero remaster wouldn't sell. Sure, the game was hard, but mainly the story mode which I admit was crazy.

I'd much rather have F-Zero remastered than any Wii U game, those are too recent and I already bought them.

It would be nice, but I already own GX and can play it whenever I want (and I do).

Unless they add a worthwhile online mode on a remake, I'd rather they make a sequel with new tracks, new story missions and so on.

Madao

i still get a laugh from everyone that says "including the AX content"

everything that is in AX is in GX. the only thing exclusive to AX is the different physics and almost no one even know that exists, so for practical pruposes AX has nothing that isn't in GX.

it's actually the other way around. you can't access most of the GX content in the AX arcade cabinet. it only lets you play 6 tracks and with 14 pilots. you can access a few more if you bring your GC Memory card but still, none of the Story mode or the other GX cups can be accesed on AX normally.

Chao

Saw this thread the other day and suddenly I was in the mood for an FZero Gx session. Looked for my copy and couldn't find the disc, so now I can't play it.

A port would be very welcome.

Eolz

i still get a laugh from everyone that says "including the AX content"

everything that is in AX is in GX. the only thing exclusive to AX is the different physics and almost no one even know that exists, so for practical pruposes AX has nothing that isn't in GX.

it's actually the other way around. you can't access most of the GX content in the AX arcade cabinet. it only lets you play 6 tracks and with 14 pilots. you can access a few more if you bring your GC Memory card but still, none of the Story mode or the other GX cups can be accesed on AX normally.

When I said "including AX content", I obviously meant being unlocked easily, rather than having to have the right saves or doing some other stuff :p

ec0ec0

When I said "including AX content", I obviously meant being unlocked easily, rather than having to have the right saves or doing some other stuff :p

what would "having to have the right saves" mean, if we are talking about Nintendo releasing a new version of the game, on the switch?

You had to put your GameCube memory card into the AX arcade machine to unlock the extra content so it would be next to impossible nowadays to do that. Basically the arcade machine would modify the save file on the memory card to unlock some content for GX. That's what he meant by having the right save.

To unlock the "AX content", you just had to beat all the grand Prix cups on master difficulty in the gamecube version. Doing that, you unlocked the "AX tracks", which is the only significant part of the "AX content" for most players. You needed to put your GameCube memory card into the AX arcade machine to unlock some special machine parts (to make the best possible custom ships), sure, but those are only important if you're into speedrunning GX and, in that case, nowadays there's other ways of unlocking those custom parts if you need them.

and, what's the problem with having to do stuff to unlock the latest tracks? do you mean that it was too hard for most people and, therefore, they didn't get to play in those tracks?

I think that it would be perfectly fine to make those tracks much easier to unlock. However, most of the people weren't able to unlock said tracks, no becuase unlocking them was really that hard, but because they didn't know how to play properly (which was perfectly understandable if you just played on your own and never got any kind of help). If you just played by what the game manual told you, and didn't know which were the actual good ships, then, yeah, unlocking the "AX tracks" was that hard, but only under those conditions. Which, to be fair, were the conditions under what most people played.

If you knew how you were supposed to play, beating all the grand prix cups in master mode, was legit easy compared to the later difficulty modes in history mode.

moeman

what would "having to have the right saves" mean, if we are talking about Nintendo releasing a new version of the game, on the switch?

and, what's the problem with having to do stuff to unlock the latest tracks? do you mean that it was too hard for most people and, therefore, they didn't get to play in those tracks?

I think that it would be perfectly fine to make those tracks much easier to unlock. However, most of the people weren't able to unlock said tracks, no becuase the game was really that hard, but because they didn't know how to play properly (which is perfectly understandable if you just played on your own and never got any kind of help).

You had to put your GameCube memory card into the AX arcade machine to unlock the extra content so it would be next to impossible nowadays to do that. Basically the arcade machine would modify the save file on the memory card to unlock some content for GX. That's what he meant by having the right save.

Nope. Mario Kart 8 DX scratches that itch for me. Just give it more content, like Captain Falcon and more F-Zero tracks.

I'd love DLC for that game.

ec0ec0

i was still editing, rewritting my comment, you just replyed to quickly:

To unlock the "AX content", you just had to beat all the grand Prix cups on master difficulty in the gamecube version. Doing that, you unlocked the "AX tracks", which is the only significant part of the "AX content" for most players. You needed to put your GameCube memory card into the AX arcade machine to unlock some special machine parts (to make the best possible custom ships), sure, but those are only important if you're into speedrunning GX and, in that case, nowadays there's other ways of unlocking those custom parts if you need them.

Yoshi

What about BSX F-Zero 2?

Well, this also exists, technically, but it is not available in any form, which is why I did not count it. Granted, Nintendo likely still has the game, but you cannot be entirely sure.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The answer is a very firm NO! Here's why....

I've been playing F-ZeroGX on and off for a few years now. The game is the very definition of perfection. I play the game in VR and with a very high quality set of force feedback steering wheel and pedals. There is, and will likely never be a VR HMD nor a good force feedback wheel available for the Switch.

A sequel to this game for the Switch could never possibly offer the experience I get from playing GX at home on my racing rig and in VR. It's an experience that's nothing short of orgasmic. And yes, the VR in this game is the real deal. You literally feel like you're in the hovercraft as Captain Falcon and can look around everywhere. It's fucking scary! No sequel on the Switch could top this. Playing F-ZeroGX 2 on a handheld with a controller? Nah, I'm good. Give me rapture or give me nothing.

Top Bottom