• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want an F-Zero GX DX on the Switch?

The answer is a very firm NO! Here's why....

I've been playing F-ZeroGX on and off for a few years now. The game is the very definition of perfection. I play the game in VR and with a very high quality set of force feedback steering wheel and pedals. There is, and will likely never be a VR HMD nor a good force feedback wheel available for the Switch.

A sequel to this game for the Switch could never possibly offer the experience I get from playing GX at home on my racing rig and in VR. It's an experience that's nothing short of orgasmic. And yes, the VR in this game is the real deal. You literally feel like you're in the hovercraft as Captain Falcon and can look around everywhere. It's fucking scary! No sequel on the Switch could top this. Playing F-ZeroGX 2 on a handheld with a controller? Nah, I'm good. Give me rapture or give me nothing.

What about being able to take the game anywhere with you? I mean you can't really use the steering wheel and pedals on public transport but surely if you love this game so much then you won't be opposed to the brand new experiences of portable play and online play?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
What about being able to take the game anywhere with you? I mean you can't really use the steering wheel and pedals on public transport but surely if you love this game so much then you won't be opposed to the brand new experiences of portable play and online play?

Hi Waluigilicious. Yeah, that's a fair point. I guess you could apply this question to someone that's into playing racing games on the go and on a handheld, and you'd be right. It'd be pretty cool no doubt. But I've personally always preferred to play racing games at home on the big screen(or in this case, VR) and with a wheel and pedals. Just a rule I've had for many years and not one I'll be breaking any time soon :)

Servbot24

Banned
Why are ports so accepted all of a sudden? I want a new game.

If there were a port of GX though, all I would really ask for is a new cup or two and online mode.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

If there were a port of GX though, all I would really ask for is a new cup or two and online mode.

Chances of a new F-Zero by the same team as AX/GX are non-existent, so this may remain the series high even if we did get a new game.

I can't see another title being as brutal, and satisfying, as this one.

Although with lack of analog triggers there's problems to a port as well.

spanks

Would be nice for sure. Unfortunately, Amusement Vision disbanded years ago and Nagoshi is busy with Yakuza for the foreseeable future. I can't really see Nintendo going through the effort of reverse engineering the engine just to release a remaster of an unsuccessful game.

Edit:
I really wanted F-Zero X 3D on 3DS after the fantastic remakes of Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time. Update the visuals, throw in the 64DD stuff, add online and you'd have had a pretty amazing package.

Would have loved more N64 remakes on 3DS general tbh (Super Mario 64, Waverace 64, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo V2, etc). At least we still got Majora's Mask.

Fantastic idea, especially F-Zero! The perfect marriage of speed and 3D.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Since 3ds is still supported please for the 3ds would be amazing for the new 2ds XL

I don't think Nintendo would have any problem with making people use digital. That said, they'd have even less of a problem with selling you an add-on to facilitate analog.

Personally I don't believe the analog triggers are necessary though. It's been a while but i don't recall them being a big deal when i played through (Very Hard story / Master GP completed). There's also games games like Wipeout that have both options and operate perfectly fine either way as a matter of preference (also with the dpad and stick). Different yes, but still fine. F-Zero X doesn't need them and nothing about GX's courses does either. Maybe some time trial nuts used them to great effect and would miss it, but no way it would make it unplayable.

Hi Waluigilicious. Yeah, that's a fair point. I guess you could apply this question to someone that's into playing racing games on the go and on a handheld, and you'd be right. It'd be pretty cool no doubt. But I've personally always preferred to play racing games at home on the big screen(or in this case, VR) and with a wheel and pedals. Just a rule I've had for many years and not one I'll be breaking any time soon :)

Thanks for the reply :)

Honestly, I don't know if everyone else says this but this is a one off situation for me. The chances of the same people getting together and making a game that will be as God as F-Zero GX are so low that it worries some of us. We are worried both for never getting an F-Zero again, and for getting a game that doesn't live up to the previous.

Edit: I won't fix that autocorrect typo lol.

NO, F-Zero is unplayable with digital triggers. Switch and the Wii/u don't have analog triggers so forget about it

How do the analog triggers work in GX? I've beaten everything on Master and honestly just press the triggers down all the way when I lean, drift or quick turn. Didn't know that pressing them to different degrees had an effect.

ec0ec0

How do the analog triggers work in GX? I've beaten everything on Master and honestly just press the triggers down all the way when I lean, drift or quick turn. Didn't know that pressing them to different degrees had an effect.

quoting myself from earlier in the thread:

F-Zero GX also used the full analog range (same as melee), but not just for a particular mechanic (like melee's shield), the whole game was build around it.

Each time you pressed one of the triggers in GX (and you were constantly doing so), it had an effect on the ship, how much, depended on how further down you were pressing the trigger/s.

Without analog triggers, we would have the triggers as a digital input only (as if, each time you pressed one trigger in the original GX, you could only press it all the way down). All the sensibility of the analog triggers would be lost.

Testing that pressing the triggers to different degrees has a different effect on your ship, is very easy to test.

You can obviously test it with any ship on any track, i'd recommed just picking the blue falcon and going to Mute City: Sonic Oval.

With the following tests, we won't use the analog stick, as we just want to test the analog triggers and see the effect that they have on the ship.

Center your ship on the track, make sure you're going perfectly straight, and, once you are, don't touch the analog stick at all. Hold just one of the triggers as slightly as possible, your ship should start moving very slightly into that direction. Now, if you put your ship back on the center of the track, but this time hold the trigger all the way down, you should see a noticeable difference (as, the second time, your ship should reach the rail of the track quicker).

Now try this. Put your ship back on the center of the track, and hold both triggers to the same degree. One trigger shoud cancel the other, so your ship will remain in place. However, if you press one of the triggers even a bit further down that the other, your ship will move into that direction instead.

You said in your post that you quick turn (so you're aware of it, and you know how to do it). There's two quick turning methods but, if every time you're pressing a trigger, you're doing so all the way down, one of the methods is significantly better than the other. So there's one method that you shouldn't use.

Top Bottom