• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrath of the Lich King: Alpha leak compendium; title music suite, abilities, pictures

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Wait so windfury can be purged/dispelled now?

That would be HORRIBLE.
It'll probably become a physical effect, like the Mage and Warlock armors so druids, rogues and such can benefit from it.

Chris R

Weenerz said:
The Lock buff isn't dispellable in 2.4.3 on the PTR.
that is stupid, same with the mage buff as well, but as much as I will hate not being able to spellsteal buffs off, I guess hunters are that much easier to kill now as my mage :|

Alex

7257xf.jpg

3bnzd.jpg

d7es6.jpg

1glow3.jpg

29xyxyo.jpg

2n20238.jpg

flwkdy.jpg

2napfd1.jpg

bdrz3s.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
JESUS FUCK!

That would suck dueling a rogue then with that buff..
I don't think you have to worry about shamans slapping down windury totem in arena, it's more a of a PvE change.

Ramirez

I find it hilarious that Blizzard can make other games look absolutely bad on an engine that is like 3-4+ years old, best art guys out there, IMO.

hiryu

Looks amazing and the shaman changes sound so perfect. I'm really glad the pure fantasy looks are back too.

Chris R

Have they improved the looks of the blue dragonflight area on the western part of Northrend? If not, still just post some more pics of that place :lol

Alex

rhfb said:
Have they improved the looks of the blue dragonflight area on the western part of Northrend? If not, still just post some more pics of that place :lol

Do you know what it's called? I'm just thumbing through some of the user galleries. Is it Dragon Blight?

anmp93.jpg

6eerds.jpg

2qsb24o.jpg

These said Azure Dragonshrine on them.

There is an Obsidian, Ruby, Bronze and Emerald too, I think I saw. They all look entirely different. It's pretty neat to see a single zone segmented so much.

border

Halycon said:
I like Outland because there is almost no grinding involved getting to 70. If you do every quest available to you at your level, you will ding 70, no question. Which makes it feel like a natural progression since you're almost never out of quests and by the time you are, you've moved to the next zone. 1-60 is a roller coaster ride. 1-12 is easy, 13-20 is easy too, getting to 30 is a little bit harder, but when you hit 37 you can go to dustwallow, which will take you to 40-41. At 40-41 you'll get a mount which speeds things up, but it slows down again around the 50s. The longest stretch is 55-58, and after that comes the outlands. The inconsistency is what really gets on my nerves.
Have you leveled a new character since BC launched and the XP buffs were introduced? It's all super fast. Maybe the 50's feels like a slowdown, but there's never any grinding. Between Silithus, Winterspring, and Plaguelands, there's more than enough quests to keep you going to 60 (nevermind that you can hit up Hellfire at 58). Slower leveling at higher levels is part of the game's design, though.

Alex

PvP Panel:

Lake Wintergrasp

* PvE elements are being added to this PvP Zone, for example the equivalent of Elemental Plateau in Outland is in Lake Wintergrasp.
* Siege Combat will be in both Lake Wintergrasp and the new Battleground (see below)
* Siege vehicles incude air combat with flying vehicles.
* You can destroy the buildings within Lake Wintergrasp and in the Battleground.
* Lake Wintergrasp will feature an attack/defend game type. Just like the Auchindoun Spirit Towers, when your faction holds a tower it will keep it for a certain amount of time and retain all the advantage for a few hours.
* Northrend "Spirit Shards" will be used to reward players. When your faction controls Lake Wintergrasp all the bosses in Northrend will start dropping them. You can then use these shards to buy rewards from a merchant, they won't be more powerful any other reward but just an alternative to other sources of equipement (like gearing up for PvP very quickly).
* "Wintergrasp Marks of Honor" will drop as well and will be redeemable for items through the honor system and other NPCs.
* Bridges will be used as "choke point" in the map, siege vehicles can't travel through water.
* The goal of Lake Wintergrasp is to capture the "Wintergrasp Keep", everything in that keep is destructable and you will have to break into the keep to capture the point.
* Players will be able to control stationnary cannons on each tower to defend the keep.
* Bridges are very large and very tall, players should be able to see them from anywhere in the map. They're also totally destructable as well.

Siege Vehicles
The Demolisher

* The Demolisher has both short and long range attacks
* It is meant to bombard players and buildings from a long distance, it's also equipped with a ram to siege buildings.
* It can hold up to 3 passengers, passengers are exposed and can be targeted individually. However, players can cast while the vehicle is moving if they're in it.

Forsaken Catapult

* The catapult is faster than the demolisher but its range is slightly lower.
* It does slightly less damage.
* It cannot hold any pessenger.

The Siege Engine

* This is the siege weapon with the longest range.
* The gunner is sitting in the turrent and has full control of the turret.
* The driver is only moving the vehicle.
* The passengers in this vehicle are fully protected but can't shoot other enemies.
* It's also got a very powerful ramming attack

Flying machine

* Flying Machines can bomb enemies, they're swift but very vulnerable to anti-air attacks.

Goblin Shredder

* The shredder is an anti-air vehicle.
* It will use anti-air rockets, they're long range homing missiles.
* This is a personal armor suit, if the vehicle is destroyed the player just jumps out and keep fighting on his own.
* You can use your sawblade as close range melee attacks.
* The shredder can jump into the air just like rocket boots for players. This can also be used to jump over walls.
* The shredder is very vulnerable to siege damage.

Arenas

* The point is to keep arenas simple, while leaving room to innovate.
* Stream lost at this point, will update later.

Dalaran Arena

* The arena is fairly small and mounts won't be allowed here.
* Arenas will introduce new "movable" objects, changing the line of sight of the battlefield every few seconds in the arena. For instance pillars might go up and down randomly, on a timer, etc ...
* There is a pipe coming from the ceilling, every once in a while a column of water will start dropping from this pipe.
* Each team will start in a pipe on one side of the map, as the match begins a column of water will "push" the teams out of their pipes to prevent camping.

Orgrimmar Arena

* There might have objects dealing damage to players, pillars moving up and down based on a timer. There will be visual signs on the battleground to warn players before something happens.
* Triggered objects will deal damage to players, for example when the pillars go down spikes will come up.
* Teams will be very close to each other at the beginning of the match. Players will start in elevators rising from the ground and will start 10 yards away from the enemy team.
* Mounts will be allowed in this arena.
* If you stay on a pillar when it rises up you go up with it.
* There will be spikes around the elevators, they will go down a few seconds after you reached the fighting area to let you the time to check what classes you're facing.

Northrend Battleground

* This battleground is located on an island south of Dragonblight
* This is also an attack/defend game type battleground.
* One team will attack and the other one defend, you will have a specific amount of time to succeed. After the end of the round teams will switch sides.
* Attackers will come from boats and defenders will start in the middle of the beach.
* There are 3 sections of walls in the Area, after each wall there are capture points and graveyards to make the attack on the next points faster.
* Attackers will get more siege vehicles depending on their progression throughout the siege.
* The battleground will be either 10vs10 or 15vs15, this isn't decided yet.

Q&A

* The battleground reporting system is being tuned to let player police themselves easier.
* A spectator mode is planned, but devs keep in mind that some players won't want to have other players spectacting them.
* Everything is done to make outdoor PvP more pleasant and prevent server crashes. All objectives in Wintergrasp are all spaced appart to prevent players from gathering at the same point, that's also why there are a lot of rivers in the zone.
* There isn't any plan to add racial abilities to each race.
* PvP rewards won't be changed, you will still be able to get some of the best item for some slots from the honor system, and the 5-part set from the Arenas.
* Battlegrounds starting without even teams is definitely a problem. Some changes will be made to the queue system to prevent the overlapping between the queues of each battleground and make sure that matches start with the same amount of players on each side.

Dungeons & Raids panel:

Raids & Dungeons

* There will be 8 Level Up dungeons and 4 Max Level Dungeons.
* There will be a 10/25 players mode for each raid dungeon.
* Heroic dungeons will be made slightly easier, at least devs are going to make sure you don't necessarily need a specific class like a prot warrior to complete it.
* Some dungeons were too long in Burning Crusade and completing a dungeon shouldn't take more than an hour.
* Quests didn't feel as connected as they should and dungeons quest should implicate a bit more in the background of the instance. Killing bosses might even have an impact on the world.
* Gun'drak will be a level 80 Dungeon and the last objective of a huge questline going through the whole zone (Zul'Drak).
* Black Temple and Hyjal Summit were released too early, on a second thought it would probably have been better to release Zul'aman first instead of postponing it for more than a year. Developpers are going to make sure that Arthas is and feels like the final boss of Wrath of the Lich King.
* Attunements to enter Heroic instances will be removed.

* You will be able to earn reputation toward a specific faction by becoming its "champion", for example by wearing a Cenarion Circle tabard while running Hellfire Ramparts you will earn reputation for both Honor Hold/Thrallmar and Cenarion Circle. Obviously tabards reputation requirements will be changed to something like friendly/honored.

Itemization

* More PvP gear will be delivered through the PvE system, it won't be the best gear but it will give you a chance to get started.
* More PvP gear will be added as reputation rewards.
* More items will drop from 25-man dungeons.
* Items will be changed by removing "unecessary" stats to make them usable by more classes at the same time.
* More recipes and plans will be added to the game, with a better representation between professions. Even if some recipes will still drop from a specific boss in a dungeon like in BC, devs will try to make some of them easier to obtain.

Death Knights

* Death Knights will be able to tank 5-man, heroics, raids dungeons, but in a "different" way. It will also fill a few more roles and won't be here just to tank.

The Oculus (LVL 80 Dungeon - Borean Tundra)

* The dungeon will allow players to use flying mounts, parts of the dungeon will allow you to get a drake and combat while mounted by using different abilities of each drake. Some drakes will be able to tank, some will heal, others will DPS.

Halls of Stone (LVL 77-79 - Storm Peaks)

* Halls of Stone will be located in Ulduar in Storm Peaks.
* All the dungeons in Ulduar were built by Titans and will really feel huge, however devs didn't want players to need a mount or anything like that to go through it and tried to keep it small.
* The storyline of Uldaman will continue in Ulduar.

Caverns of Time: Stratholme (LVL 80 - Tanaris)

* The faction requirement on the Caverns of Time teleport will be removed.
* The dungeon is fully scripted just like Old Hillsbrad. There are a couple of timed encounters, it will be non-linear and you will be able to choose your encounters.
* Players will be fighting alongside Prince Arthas before he falls to the Lich King.
* The same voice acting as Warcraft 3 will be used in the instance. (Jaina / Arthas / Uthar)
* The Infinite Dragonflight storyline will continue here.

Q&A

* Whenever it's possible, devs would prefer to deliver legendary items through quests like Atiesh instead of having them just drop from Bosses.
* There won't be any attunement for heroic or entry level raid instances. The remaining attunements will be very simple to understand.
* "Wipe management" is a very important part of the design and developpers are doing their best to make sure that corpse run in dungeons aren't too long.
* Titles might be added for kills, entering a specific area, etc ...
* More tokens will drop to minimize the impact of randomization, sometimes increasing the amount of items dropping from a boss isn't enough.
* Dungeons aren't going to be overall easier, but will be more accessible. Bosses might not be easier to kill but will be easier to understand for new players.

Alex

Gonna sort images here, it's too annoying to do in the middle of a block of text. Especially when I'm just now noticing Horde has vehicles seperate from Alliance model swaps:

pvp-36.jpg

pvp-5.jpg

pvp-22.jpg

pvp-28.jpg

pvp-35.jpg

pvp-1.jpg

pvp-27.jpg

pvp-21.jpg

pvp-17.jpg

pvp-19.jpg

pvp-15.jpg

pvp-13.jpg

pvp-11.jpg

Any videos of the panels yet?

Searched youtube and a few sites (mmo champ; guild forums; etc) and no luck yet.

Art assets for Lake Wintergrasp and siege look great.

Not so sure about the rewards though... nothing but Honor + LWG Marks for PvP there (and SS but those have to be earned in dungeons; LWG just unlocks it a la Auch). That final note about how Honor will still be for certain item parts but Arena for sets doesn't sit well with me.

If LWG is going to have serious legs, it needs its own major sets and weapons. As a potential main focus, at least. It could still be awesome as a side-project but the only chance of WLK beating WAR for me is if it'll fun a major front of WoW to essentially live out in LWG. It can't just be complimentary. So hopefully the flesh it out with enough to do and earn.

gondwana

Is that worded right? So bracer/belt/boots/ring/neck/trinket will be available with honor, like before, and the actual sets are only available from Arena points?

I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. It could be wrong or just misrepresented.

But that's the impression I got from:

>>> "PvP rewards won't be changed, you will still be able to get some of the best item for some slots from the honor system, and the 5-part set from the Arenas."

Hopefully there are still good sets unique to Honor and also unique to LWG. They don't need to rival the Arena or top raid Tier sets, but I want to have a unique [world war] set to LWG. If it's just Arena leftovers again, LWG won't be cutting into my WAR time much.

So do you need the Burning Crusade in order to play Wrath of the Lich King?

I am just wondering, I quit right before Burning Crusade came out, and might want to start playing again when WOTLK comes out.

H.Cornerstone said:

I am just wondering, I quit right before Burning Crusade came out, and might want to start playing again when WOTLK comes out.
BC has all the content for the two new races and new textures, monsters, etc.

So yes, you do need BC because it has a lot of data required for WotLK.

Weenerz

Banned
H.Cornerstone said:

I'm guessing you will need to get both expansions, but it's just speculation on my part, only Blizzard truly knows.

Laughterjones said:
Decent screens.

Glad some classes are getting buffed.

It seems mages keep getting left out and crapped on.

Borrowed from another forum.[/IMG]

Even though that's LOL-worthy :lol, it really is something else about how hard mages are getting shit on.

I keep thinking that blizz has something up there sleeves for mages but i'm not seeing it.

As of now, warlocks not only do more dps, but get to curse, get to fear, and get to summon pets. Mages get... to port and give water.

It's fucking pathetic on their part.

Dina

FunkyMunkey said:
Even though that's LOL-worthy :lol, it really is something else about how hard mages are getting shit on.

I keep thinking that blizz has something up there sleeves for mages but i'm not seeing it.

As of now, warlocks not only do more dps, but get to curse, get to fear, and get to summon pets. Mages get... to port and give water.

I'm guessing mages will get loads of buffs in the aoe department. Thing is, most boss encounters do not have aoe-components and mages get gibbed instantly cause the most prominent aoe they have is near melee range.

I vowed to never touch WoW again, but damn these pictures are tempting. Maybe I'll lvl my made to 80 just to see all the art, but I guess not.

Damn you, blizzard!

H.Cornerstone said:

Well, you can't get to 70 without BC. :lol I mean you actually can't even gain XP past 60 without BC.

Dina said:
I'm guessing mages will get loads of buffs in the aoe department. Thing is, most boss encounters do not have aoe-components and mages get gibbed instantly cause the most prominent aoe they have is near melee range.

I vowed to never touch WoW again, but damn these pictures are tempting. Maybe I'll lvl my made to 80 just to see all the art, but I guess not.

Damn you, blizzard!

There is very little incentive to play a mage atm. I hope FunkyMonkey is right too when he states he hops Blizz has something lined up. If it is there, it is not visible. Even with the most liberal forms of theorycrafting, it is tough to make a good build.

On the other hand, the new magic absorption with the new mage armor is amazzzzzzzzzzzzzing

I stopped playing about eight month ago Dina and have now got a new account with a rogue. I at least wanted to give the xpac a shot. As of now there is no reason to play a mage though :)

Random note: Firefox didn't have the word mage in their dictionary.

Twig

Banned
Xiaoki said:
Yeah, but does that apply to Death Knights?
Since Death Knights start at level 55... yes.

It would be impossible to level from 60 to 70 without TBC. Might be able to get up to 63 or so before you run out of quests. Maybe 65 if you grind some of the original 60 raid dungeons. Eventually you're going to hit an XP wall.

Of course, you literally cannot gain experience past 60 unless you have TBC, the game just doesn't give it to you. So whatever.

Dina

Laughterjones said:
There is very little incentive to play a mage atm. I hope FunkyMonkey is right too when he states he hops Blizz has something lined up. If it is there, it is not visible. Even with the most liberal forms of theorycrafting, it is tough to make a good build.

On the other hand, the new magic absorption with the new mage armor is amazzzzzzzzzzzzzing

I stopped playing about eight month ago Dina and have now got a new account with a rogue. I at least wanted to give the xpac a shot. As of now there is no reason to play a mage though :)

Random note: Firefox didn't have the word mage in their dictionary.

If I would play WotLK it would be to see the lvling content. End-game WoW is too much of a chore to me (raiding and doing arena still require so much time). A mage as a lvling class is fine, the problems lie in the field after dinging 70 (or 80?).

Mages will get more goodies, if only for the new 51 pointer talents. Dunno how good it will be or what the impact will be, but we'll see. Frostfire bolt is very disappointing though. A viable pyroblast would be so much better. But again, we'll see.

Tamanon

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

It would be impossible to level from 60 to 70 without TBC. Might be able to get up to 63 or so before you run out of quests. Maybe 65 if you grind some of the original 60 raid dungeons. Eventually you're going to hit an XP wall.

Of course, you literally cannot gain experience past 60 unless you have TBC, the game just doesn't give it to you. So whatever.

Technically you could kill the mobs outside of Karazhan, but yeah it's virtually impossible.

TheOneGuy said:

I guess what I am asking is the content in TBC built into WOLTK?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
evlcookie said:
* There is a plan to give player access to two talent specs to switch between them without having to respec all the time. More details in the future.

FINALLY!! It's about the only thing i ever wanted.

Think about that for a second, it's a huge statement. If they are planning to make it easy to do, like on the fly, then that could change class desirability entirely, not to mention class usefulness. Not just for heroics and raids but for PvP as well. It makes almost every class become a hybrid, except for the pure DPS classes (mage, hunter, lock, rogue).

Warriors – tanks and melee dps
Paladins – any combo of tank, melee dps, or healer
Druids – any combo of tank, melee dps, caster dps, or healer
Priest – healer or caster dps and support
Shaman – any combo of melee dps, caster dps, or healer
Warlocks – dps
Mages – dps
Rogues – dps
Hunters – dps

A change like this would really make the first five much more versatile in gameplay. While I like the idea and think it is a good one, it also makes me wish that my warlock had a healing tree…

Maybe it's time to switch mains to a class that can do more than one thing.

Bregor

If the switch between specs is made too easy, the pure dps classes will have to be clearly superior to the hybrid classes or they will become useless.

firex

not really. all the pure dps classes are also the best CC.

This just means you can play a paladin and be holy in groups (or prot) and ret, or you can play a shaman and be resto for groups and enhance/elemental elsewhere, etc. for every class. It also means you can keep the solo spec and have your group spec too, so that way if you need to solo farm some stuff you can just throw on your enhance/ret/arms/feral/shadow gear and go kill things.

edit: It also means you can go with a pure pve dps build for the dps classes with one spec, and a pure pvp build with your other spec. It's a win-win for everybody.

J-Rzez

FunkyMunkey said:

Mages are fine. They have their own abilities to CC a-la fear: Polymorph, frost nova, ice lance. They also have ice block/blink when things get out of hand. Let's not forget their elementals which glitch and see stealth miles away through pillars. And fire mages do more than enough dmg, while Ice excel at PVP. They're more than fine.

Buffing them is like buffing Druids and Hunters, and making them godly. In fact, I do not like these proposed abilities that druids are getting outside of improved tanking abilities, now their casting will be nearly on par with mages and locks seemingly. ALSO, they're getting poisons and shadowstep for their cat form? I mean seriously, come on. They're fine as they are now.

Their class is meant to be a utility class, as described many of times. They can do a bit of DPS, then pop out and heal themselves or others on the fly with op'd hots. In pvp, they dps, hot, then bear, charge, then cheetah out, throw more heals, then bear/cat. They should not have anything to put them on par with Rogues for DPS and CC and Wars as tanks.

Their forms are OP enough as is, and they can leave them alone and maybe with the new talent trees the other classes will catch up to them at 80. But that isn't going to happen.

I can't wait to see how many months it's going to take for Blizzard to balance out PVP to the just now nearly acceptable PVP and PVE balance.

Xiaoki

Tamanon said:
Technically you could kill the mobs outside of Karazhan, but yeah it's virtually impossible.
No, its not. Just have a Warlock summon you to Northrend.

The one and only problem would Blizzard requiring TBC for WotLK to even work.

Not being able to level past 60 only applies to standard classes.

Chris R

Someone post some pics of the Occulus. That is the area I was wanting to see more of. Outside/Inside it doesn't matter.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mengy said:
Lots of stuff

True. But at the same time when it comes to encounters, not all specs are viable. Al'ar in Tk isnt great for fire mages, so they have to respec for it, but hey now they dont need to, switch to their 2nd spec and go nuts. The same can be said for DPS classes. Each one has a pve and pvp spec, those are the 2 builds i would see most people using it for.

If i was to raid on my rogue i would be combat spec but if i wanted to pvp/arena then hemo or a dagger spec would be more usefull.

I doubt they would enable it on the fly, maybe it would have some sort of cooldown or they will go with a pve/pvp spec and you are only able to use pvp in pvp zones.

Either way, as long as it turns out to be true i think alot of prot warriors would be happy since they can now farm for gold and the rest of us have a 2nd spec to mess around with.

Wes

venison crêpe
I doubt the talent switch will be instantaneous. No doubt you will have to go to a class trainer to do it and there will be some kind of cooldown on it to stop you constantly switching.

Weenerz said:
WotLK beta sign-ups are open. Go to Account Management on the world of warcraft website and do it.

Shhhh. Keep it quiet! Increases my chances!:lol Hoping to get picked. Want to rock my Death Knight ahead of time.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
ToyMachine228 said:
Shhhh. Keep it quiet! Increases my chances!:lol Hoping to get picked. Want to rock my Death Knight ahead of time.

Seeing as how it's plastered on the official site and everywhere, a post on this forum won't hurt much.

Top Bottom