• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Analysts now predict an NX announcement by early October

Maiar_m

Even tomorrow still leaves an entire weekend to travel. It's not like very many reporters are going to miss the chance to go to the reveal/press event of such a secretive console. The general public needs even less notification.

Assuming the reveal goes with a press event. They could do a Direct reveal and have the press around at a separate date, couldn't they?

takriel

Nintendo's twitter on the 12th: "What, you still asking about NX? It's here, we released it already! Didn't you know? Go get it, then!"

AdanVC

Good thing we have lot's of games coming to Wii U during the holidays to keep us busy. There's so many that I don't give a flying chicken roast about NX anymore......................................
pls kill me now until october??? FML

After the TGS, so last week of September (Fall, as originally stated). If Nintendo does it before, the hype from their reveal could find itself smothered by announcements at the game show.

Guevara

Waiting for the NX announcement is like:

If it's not announced in the next 3 weeks...

...just wait longer. (Ace Ventura)

After the TGS, so last week of September (Fall, as originally stated). If Nintendo does it before, the hype from their reveal could find itself smothered by announcements at the game show.

It's probably not happening before TGS, granted, but when was the last time a truly huge announcement was made there? I don't think that would really be a problem.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
As maxcriden mentioned, I expect Nintendo to talk about NX during the Corporate Management Policy Briefing* / FY 2016 Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing on October 27, 10:00 AM JST (tentatively), regardless of the machine being revealed or not prior to that date. That time corresponds to:

t1477530000z4.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

*Tentative

Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release is scheduled for October 26, 2016. That could be coupled with a news conference featuring some announcements. They announced NX would be launching in 2017 in a news conference connected to an earnings release.

I guess it's time for me to be an analyst again. :p

Going back to my Calendar theories.

It's now Sept 8th. If we assume 3 weeks ahead for a live announcement here we go...

That basically mean the 29th at the earliest.

Oh and that would mean invites would have to go out like right now.

So yeah all signs point to October for a live event if we go off the 3 week theory.
I cannot conceive why you'd make the assumption that Nintendo's going to do a live press conference.

I'd bet firm hard cash on it being presented to the public through a Direct, both in terms of the business and in what actually suits Nintendo's needs, and we know from years of experience that Nintendo does not need much lead time to announce those.

ahkdigital

Neo Member
Assuming the reveal goes with a press event. They could do a Direct reveal and have the press around at a separate date, couldn't they?

Sure: that would simply require a "tune in tomorrow" message on social media, at the latest. It would be nice because then you'd have a brief console 'reveal' on the 12th/13th, companies would be free to start announcing games for the platform all during TGS, the press gets hands on demos later on, and so forth.

One caveat is whether that momentum would burn out or if it would be enough to carry to March (i.e: maybe it's too soon to go all in on that type of coverage). You, of course, could have all the obligatory interviews with developers, press coverage, further feature reveals, surprise games, coverage for their existing platforms, and so forth from now until March.

For the foreseeable future, PlayStation has already chosen their path with the 'Pro'. Scorpio, outside of some tech specs, hasn't been very well defined - they still have some time to add new 'features'. Though the 'competition' has defined a bit, Nintendo was afraid of people 'stealing' their ideas - which is pretty much always going to be a possibility.

But, a little on the PlayStation note: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around (which, you have to be at least a little reactive)

HeySeuss

We should enjoy this period of unrest and uncertainty. Once it's actually revealed, then the hating and second guessing starts. And how Nintendo doesn't get it and they're doomed.

Enjoy the hype while you can.

L Thammy

We should enjoy this period of unrest and uncertainty. Once it's actually revealed, then the hating and second guessing starts. And how Nintendo doesn't get it and they're doomed.

In the grim future, MuchoMalo controls all.

There's hating and second guessing without the unveil anyway, so...

Top Bottom