• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wtf...new Alice In Chains album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing wikipedia articles of my favorite bands (because I was bored) and noticed this:
Alice in Chains' fourth studio album (sixth studio recording, counting Sap and Jar of Flies) is currently in pre-production. The album's title and release date have not yet been revealed, nor is it known if a title and release date have even been decided on. It will be the first studio album Alice in Chains has released since their 2002 disbandment and 2006 reformation.

Jerry Cantrell, Mike Inez and Sean Kinney are the only former Alice in Chains members peforming on this album, as their original singer Layne Staley died of an apparent heroin/cocaine overdose in April 2002. William DuVall, who has been touring with the band as his replacement, will be the main vocalist on the album.
re: bold - no shit, sherlock.

Personnel

* William DuVall - Guitar, Vocals
* Jerry Cantrell - Lead Guitar, Vocals
* Mike Inez - Bass
* Sean Kinney - Drums

well, they got Jerry back so it can't be all bad right. right?

LakeEarth

Alice in Chains is my favourite band, but I'll be skeptical on this. Jerry Cantrell's solo albums aren't that great (though he has some good singles in there).

Gigglepoo

bune duggy said:
you realize this would be just as difficult as a true AIC reunion, right?

I meant the original album, Above. I didn't mean a new one. There can be no new Mad Season or Alice in Chains. The world is the poorer for it, but to try to replicate their awesomeness without Layne is pitiful.

ah, I see. yes, that was a great album. Shame Layne was in his downward spiral and couldn't get himself together enough for the second album. Oh and the bassist dying, that sucked too.

Gigglepoo

bune duggy said:
ah, I see. yes, that was a great album. Shame Layne was in his downward spiral and couldn't get himself together enough for the second album. Oh and the bassist dying, that sucked too.

Boy, this thread is a downer.

On "Alice in Chains" new album, will the singer try to sound like Layne?

Gigglepoo said:
Boy, this thread is a downer.

On "Alice in Chains" new album, will the singer try to sound like Layne?
well, there is a bootleg of a concert with him performing with the rest of the band. Said bootleg also has Maynard from Tool on two songs. If anything, they should have gotten him as his voice fits the old AIC songs very well.

edit: my apologies, it would appear that it wasn't him on that bootleg but someone else.
The reformed Alice in Chains featured several big names filling the shoes of late vocalist Layne Staley, who died of a drug overdose in 2002. Wes Scantlin from Puddle of Mudd, Pat Lachman from metal band Damageplan, Ann Wilson and Keenan all shared microphone duties.
During the reunion shows, the band enlisted Comes With the Fall's William DuVall, who previously performed with Cantrell's solo band, to sing lead vocals. Velvet Revolver's Duff McKagan joined the band for the tour, playing second guitar on a few songs. The band has recently concluded their US tour.

Before the tour, Kinney mentioned in a interview that he would be interested in writing new material, but not as Alice in Chains. However, AliceinChains.com reported that the band had been writing new material.

The band recently began a statewide tour with Velvet Revolver entitled the Re-evolution Tour. It has also been officially announced that the band is writing new material, with DuVall as the new official frontman. Rumors have been circulating of an LP to be released in late 2007 or 2008 of all new songs.[2]

The band also recently recorded an all acoustic performance in Milwaukee, WI, the recording to be released as the band's first album since the remaining members reunited in 2005. This CD will be the first ever Alice in Chains release with William DuVall as the group's lead vocalist. The acoustic album comes in response to critical and fan acclaim that came from the short acoustic sets that the band preformed on their 2006 North American club tour. This album is expected to be released prior to their upcoming studio release. It will be the band's second acoustic release, and third total live album (Live and MTV Unplugged respectively)

Drozmight

SatelliteOfLove said:
That awesome defiant depressing their work and Fade To Black reaches.

\m/ >_< \m/

noddy.jpg

William is an awsome singer (saw them in London last year) He is no layne staley copycat and has a great set of pipes. He recently commented that the new stuff they are recording is 'insane'

They are currently on tour with Velver Revolver and supposedly outplaying them big style. Check out this article:

Alice In Chains blew Velvet Revolver off the stage

Cant wait for the new album.

Troidal

They are currently on tour with Velver Revolver and supposedly outplaying them big style. Check out this article:

Alice In Chains blew Velvet Revolver off the stage

Talk about getting owned! :lol

But really...AIC is classic.
VR is pretty much new, and not that good even.

I mean come on...I had a lot of expectations on VR when they were first announced, but I'm not a fan of their albums...even though I am a fan of the old GNR and STP.

Holy shit man, new AIC, who would've thought. Anticipation rising....

-=-ONI-=-

Banned
I'm not happy about this....

I would have prefered if Jerry just sung himself, say what you want, but he did do a lot (or all) of the backing vocals on those AIC songs and his solo records were pretty good....

I'm understand them not changing their name, but it still feels weird hearing a new Alice song with someone besides Layne......

FF_VIII

Banned
-=-ONI-=- said:
I'm not happy about this....

I would have prefered if Jerry just sung himself, say what you want, but he did do a lot (or all) of the backing vocals on those AIC songs and his solo records were pretty good....

I'm understand them not changing their name, but it still feels weird hearing a new Alice song with someone besides Layne......

Agreed.

Just let Jerry sing on the album.

mastershred

Neo Member
Grifter said:
Would? on Kimmel. Sounds like a straight impression, but I guess fans wouldn't want anything else.
If it didn't sound like an impression people would hate and if it did they'd hate. There's almost no winning in these situations.

It's a great album. Really is.

A bit of a grower. The first time I listened to it I was throughly unimpressed and didn't bother listening to it for a while.

This weekend, I listened to it about 8 times or so and am simply in love with it.

It sounds like a combination of Jerry Cantrell's best solo stuff mixed with the slower more depressing and angsty Alice in Chains.

It's a great album. Really is.

Fucking A. I was a bit skeptical, but it's bloody good, and contrary to all the naysayers (I was one) it most definitely IS Alice in Chains.

It's very, VERY dark.

On the 1st track, it really sounds so like Layne that you get some serious chills.
Then you realise how much the odd, sometimes discordant harmonies that Layne and Jerry did were such a part of their sound, and all of that is still there.

Standouts are 'Check My Brain' and 'A Looking in View'

I 1st saw AIC on the Facelift tour where they blew the roof off the Edinburgh Playhouse supporting Megadeth - Layne was immense that night.

But seriously, the album is fantastic and any AIC fan should give it a serious listen - it's a no dishonor to Layne's memory by a long chalk.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yep, the album is quite good. Glad to see more and more people agreeing.

Daigoro

its dogshit.

if they called it Jerry Cantrell Band i could maybe get behind it and come around to the fact that it is an "OK" album. but they went ahead and fucked up, calling it AIC.

its not AIC. and its not a great album. i despise the single "Check My Brain" it sucks bad. the last real AIC album shits all over this release.

boo.

Papa

Banned
Daigoro said:
its dogshit.

if they called it Jerry Cantrell Band i could maybe get behind it and come around to the fact that it is an "OK" album. but they went ahead and fucked up, calling it AIC.

its not AIC. and its not a great album. i despise the single "Check My Brain" it sucks bad. the last real AIC album shits all over this release.

boo.

Check My Brain is probably the weakest track on the album because it's so radio friendly; however, I view it as a good move to include one or two tracks that are more accessible to new fans. It helps them avoid being labeled as a relic of the past whilst the older, grungier songs such as Private Hell and and Acid Bubble appeal more to the older fans. Having such a combination of styles on the comeback album was a smart move, as was having Jerry sing lead for much of it. It helps ease older fans into the new voice whilst still providing familiarity. Transition seems to be the main theme of Black Gives Way to Blue.

Jerry is and always was the primary songwriter / composer. Layne, whilst amazing at what he did, did not contribute anywhere near as much as Jerry to the actual writing process. That's why they're still called Alice in Chains. It's funny; the self-proclaimed "die hard fans" always seem to be the ones ignorant to this fact.

Cyan said:
Yeah, I agree actually. It's nice that they want to make an album, but AiC will never again exist. It'd be like getting Nirvana or Sublime back together.
how prescient. :lol

I still have to pick this album up as I forgot about it what with the new Pearl Jam + show that all happened at the same time.

LakeEarth

Big fan of the album, new guy sounds great and it really feels like AiC, but it's missing a classic that really stands out (though Looking In View is really really good).

It's more AiC, which I never thought I'd get again, so I'm happy.

LakeEarth said:
Big fan of the album, new guy sounds great and it really feels like AiC, but it's missing a classic that really stands out (though Looking In View is really really good).

It's more AiC, which I never thought I'd get again, so I'm happy.

yeah, its still missing that "this could be midi'ized for a retro doom game" kinda song.

Daigoro

karasu said:
Oh please. It's Alice in Chains because Cantrell says so. Fickle fans don't determine shit.

im not saying he cant. im saying he shouldnt. its not AIC. so no reason to call it AIC.

and sometimes fickle fans do determine shit. im sure not rushing out to go buy the CD, unlike every other AIC release before it.

matt404au said:
Jerry is and always was the primary songwriter / composer. Layne, whilst amazing at what he did, did not contribute anywhere near as much as Jerry to the actual writing process. That's why they're still called Alice in Chains. It's funny; the self-proclaimed "die hard fans" always seem to be the ones ignorant to this fact.

im hardly ignorant to it. but if anyone wants to argue that Layne wasnt at least 50% of the AIC sound, then you're kidding yourselves.

this is not AIC. this is Jerry Cantrell using the name AIC. and the quality of this albums appears to be about on par with what Jerry has done solo since Layne croaked.

if you guys enjoy it, good. happy for ya.

PacoDG

album is really fucking good. there is a couple of tracks i took off the mp3 player, but overall really awesome (first track and last track, your decision, lots of stuff is great)

I'm an AIC fan from way back and I love the record. AIC's sound depends 100% on the dissonant harmonies Jerry writes, and Duvall pulls them off perfectly.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Bought it this afternoon and I'm currently a few songs in. Not bad, but it's a bit "chug-a-chug-a-chug-a-chug", missing the melody of "Dirt," which is the only AiC album that I own.

Still, not bad thus far. Kinda wish the sound quality was better.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Meh, it is an okay record. I don't really feel the same undertone as the previous albums. The only thing that really bothers me is the change in vocal stylings. Now Cantrell and the new singer are basically one big unison voice. It works one some songs but it doesn't on others. I just really enjoyed when Jerry would sing a haunting melody under Laynes voice giving it a werid creepy vibe (ex Beginning of Man in the Box) The riffs are okay and the guitars solos are still there but i can't help but see that something is defeinetly missing.

Tater Tot said:
Meh, it is an okay record. I don't really feel the same undertone as the previous albums. The only thing that really bothers me is the change in vocal stylings. Now Cantrell and the new singer are basically one big unison voice. It works one some songs but it doesn't on others. I just really enjoyed when Jerry would sing a haunting melody under Laynes voice giving it a werid creepy vibe (ex Beginning of Man in the Box) The riffs are okay and the guitars solos are still there but i can't help but see that something is defeinetly missing.

the man in the box?

i heard hes down in hole.

Teddman

Daigoro said:
its dogshit.

boo.
I think Check My Brain is about the best Alice in Chains song since The Singles soundtrack, so there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom