• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC09 Thread of iPhones and Snow Leopards

Manics

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
If the new iPhone is a significant upgrade I may bite even though I swore my 3G was gonna be with me for another year.

Wait for the 4G iPhone, why upgrade for a video camera/faster processor? I think next year's phone has the potential to be the "must have".

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Manics said:
Wait for the 4G iPhone, why upgrade for a video camera/faster processor? I think next year's phone has the potential to be the "must have".
Don't buy that iPhone!!! The 5G model is clearly going to be the best iPhone yet!

...you're not going to get ahead of technology, so just buy whatever device meets your needs for the moment, and be conscious of what is likely to come down the pipe, and if you're OK with having to upgrade later.

You're always going to be unsatisfied if you never commit to a feature-set.

Juice

Live Blog Rundown Time!

Streaming:
  • Digital Lifestyle - They claim live video (capped at 10k users, they say to get in early)
  • iPhone Alley (Apparently they had live audio stream last year)
Blogging:

Proof positive that there's a huge oversupply of people who want to make a living writing about people who do things.

Manics

Banned
RubxQub said:
Don't buy that iPhone!!! The 5G model is clearly going to be the best iPhone yet!

...you're not going to get ahead of technology, so just buy whatever device meets your needs for the moment, and be conscious of what is likely to come down the pipe, and if you're OK with having to upgrade later.

You're always going to be unsatisfied if you never commit to a feature-set.

I know you'll always be waiting for the next model, but to me the difference between the current 3G and whatever is announced today will be small. Unless you're really concerned with more space at 32Gb, and faster processor then go for it. But if you're already an owner of a 3G I don't think the upgrade makes sense. 3G to 4G is a bigger incentive to upgrade in my opinion.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Juice said:
T-Mobile just updated their product list, supposedly. Of course, this looks like an HTML page, so I'm sure someone could have just "javascript:void(s.add("New iPhone ZOMG"))" 'd it:

T-Mobile_Catalogue.gif

new 16/32 GB models added. Also "iPhone 2009 (NTB)" and "iPhone 3G 8GB Black V2"

iPhone available on Verizon

Okay, that picture and the Verizon rumor. Where is this crap coming from? Isn't it AT&T exclusive for 3 more years? Isn't the iPhone on Verizon or T-Mobile IMPOSSIBLE right now?

Juice

omg rite said:
Okay, that picture and the Verizon rumor. Where is this crap coming from? Isn't it AT&T exclusive for 3 more years? Isn't the iPhone on Verizon or T-Mobile IMPOSSIBLE right now?

That's Euro-T-Mobile.

Verizon peeps I know think they know something. I think at most it's an exclusive deal for the MacBook Air and/or the tablet.

Tobor

Manics said:
I know you'll always be waiting for the next model, but to me the difference between the current 3G and whatever is announced today will be small. Unless you're really concerned with more space at 32Gb, and faster processor then go for it. But if you're already an owner of a 3G I don't think the upgrade makes sense. 3G to 4G is a bigger incentive to upgrade in my opinion.
A faster processor and double ram is huge in a device like this. The bottleneck in mobile Safari is not the 3G bandwidth. Web pages should load significantly faster on the new phone.

Manics

Banned
Tobor said:
A faster processor and double ram is huge in a device like this. The bottleneck in mobile Safari is not the 3G bandwidth. Web pages should load significantly faster on the new phone.

Meh, if you say so. Faster processors and more RAM don't excite me. It's like the old days "ohmygod you're getting a faster PC!!!"

Juice

Manics said:
Meh, if you say so. Faster processors and more RAM don't excite me. It's like the old days "ohmygod you're getting a faster PC!!!"

You mean it's like the days where getting a faster PC actually meant something.

I remember getting a P133 to replace my 386. It was incredible.

And this will be like that.

LCfiner

Manics said:

the difference is that PCs have been "fast enough" for quite some time. there's still serious speed gains to be made with the iphone.

whenever an app crashes it's probably due to a lack of free memory - which is why app developers beg you to reset the phone after downloading (to prevent 1 star reviews).

loading pages in safari is much slower than using a 3G connection on a laptop. there's not enough memory or power to render animated gifs in safari (anything over a couple kB, anyway)

and, of course, game graphics and game scope will get bigger and better in time with better hardware.

RubxQub

ckohler said:
Thanks! Original post has been updated.

Also, textviff has live video right now of them waiting in line to get in. :lol

http://textviff.com/mobile-crunch/live-from-wwdc-2009-647.html
Are they expecting to have video of the conference?

I still remember watching some bootlegged live feed for some conference last year only to have it yanked by what I imagine was an usher or something :lol

Video > Audio = LiveBlogs.

Any reason why Apple doesn't allow these conferences to be put out live online?

Juice

RubxQub said:
Are they expecting to have video of the conference?

I still remember watching some bootlegged live feed for some conference last year only to have it yanked by what I imagine was an usher or something :lol

Video > Audio = LiveBlogs.

Any reason why Apple doesn't allow these conferences to be put out live online?

I imagine it's part of their risk mitigation planning. If anything disastrous were to occur during a keynote's demo, it wouldn't be easy to articulate and spread it virally with just text/photos. If Apple controls the video feed, they can scrub it up ("edit it for time") and then release it later the same day without any risk of stock collapse.

Juice

rampur said:
i don't think its video of the keynote, but live video of any hardware on display after

Perhaps not. Depends on how you read this sentence:

Not only will we be doing our in-studio live analysis of the WWDC Keynote announcements, but we'll also have live video from the convention center

RubxQub

Juice said:
I imagine it's part of their risk mitigation planning. If anything disastrous were to occur during a keynote's demo, it wouldn't be easy to articulate and spread it virally with just text/photos. If Apple controls the video feed, they can scrub it up ("edit it for time") and then release it later the same day without any risk of stock collapse.
Hmph...spose I understand that, but I wonder why other houses aren't equally as nervous (E3 big 3 comes to mind).

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Is this an event where they might announce updates for MacBooks or is it typically reserved for iPhone and OS announcements?

Juice

RubxQub said:
Hmph...spose I understand that, but I wonder why other houses aren't equally as nervous (E3 big 3 comes to mind).

If any of the major videogame companies were half as paranoid as Apple, they'd have much higher quality keynotes in the first place.

B!TCH said:
Is this an event where they might announce updates for MacBooks or is it typically reserved for iPhone and OS announcements?

Traditionally at WWDC it's been Mac OS X, XServe, Mac Pro, etc.

Because of the timing of iPhone releases, iPhone has taken over the last couple years. The MacBook branding adjustments may appear or happen silently in a couple weeks.

LCfiner

RubxQub said:

Apple is pathologically secretive. We all have to accept that if we're gonna be geeky enough to follow these keynotes.

RubxQub

Juice said:
If any of the major videogame companies were half as paranoid as Apple, they'd have much higher quality keynotes in the first place.
Want to see what the bottom of Steve Jobs' shoe looks like?!

BAM!

B!TCH said:

Anybody expecting any non-iPhone hardware announcements is crazy. WWDC is about developers. They will announce a new iPhone hear because it will have new features, which developers will care about. Developers do not care about new Macbooks or iMacs. Apple won't announce any new computer hardware at WWDC. You might see a silent spec-bump on the Macbooks, but no actual new hardware.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
My Firefox tabs are:

Engadget WWDC page/NeoGAF WWDC thread/MacRumoursLive.com/Ars@WWDC: Live/Keynotetweets.com/Apple.com

It's an hour and a half to go...

FML.

infiniteloop said:
112339-grand_500.jpg

New QuickTime X logo?

June 19th is a Friday....

That's definitely a new quicktime logo. What's the banner say? "Threading as left the station"? That's good news. Threading in OS X apps would be sweet.

Juice

Grand Central logo looks kind of busy, but definitely seems to indicate that there aren't any big Snow Leopard surprise apps hiding

LCfiner

infiniteloop said:
112339-grand_500.jpg

New QuickTime X logo?

June 19th is a Friday....

hmm, no one else in this thread has commented on the june 19th date on the banner, except for you.

if it means anything, it's a 10.6 release date, I bet.

and if 10.6 is coming that soon, then I think we could safely say that there won't be any surprises for it being shown today.

Tobor

ckohler said:
What's that icon in the lower right of the latest banner photo? A bunch of chips in a wastebasket?

That's definitely the trash can. You can throw your hardware away in Snow Leopard confirmed? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Juice said:
Proof positive that there's a huge oversupply of people who want to make a living writing about people who do things.

Well, that IS essentially what a journalist is. :lol

TwIsTeD said:
honestly im hoping that they do release 3.0 today, we have waited long enough for mms and sideways texting

...and copy/paste.

if my touch is jailbroken, how does that effect upgrading the firmware? would i be able to just buy the eventual 3.0 for $10 and install it with no problems?

honestly i don't care if it's jailbroken or not anymore, I mainly did it to see what it was all about.

LCfiner

Tobor said:
That's definitely the trash can. You can throw your hardware away in Snow Leopard confirmed? :lol

love it!

as for the icon, does the "garbage collection" feature in X-Code have an icon associated with it?

only thing I can think of that associated with the trash bin.

JodyAnthony said:
if my touch is jailbroken, how does that effect upgrading the firmware? would i be able to just buy the eventual 3.0 for $10 and install it with no problems?

honestly i don't care if it's jailbroken or not anymore, I mainly did it to see what it was all about.

your best bet would be to restore to a non jailbroken 2.0 firmware using the restore feature in itunes and then get 3.0 afterward.

This is it
Make no mistake where you are
This is it
Your backs to the corner
This is it
Dont be a fool anymore
This is it

WAY too excited!

LCfiner said:
hmm, no one else in this thread has commented on the june 19th date on the banner, except for you.

if it means anything, it's a 10.6 release date, I bet.

and if 10.6 is coming that soon, then I think we could safely say that there won't be any surprises for it being shown today.
I bet it's the release date of a new beta or something.

Top Bottom