• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC10 Thread of iPhones and iProducts galore

Vyer said:
I honestly don't know if Marty is the hardest working character on GAF, or just really...special.
I can only imagine he's the single most miserable person in the entire universe. I seriously can't fathom how he drags himself out of bed in the morning when nothing is as fucking good in real life as it is in this hypothetical dream land he's created in his head.

You could walk up to the guy in the street, hand him a suitcase stuffed with cash and the keys to a BMW and he'd walk away to go post on Gaf that he can't help but think he might have gotten more money if he'd just passed on the car, and gee, the money would be a lot more useful, because cars sometimes get flat tires, right?

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
What's wrong with you, Marty? Did you miss it when I was the first one here to get the new phone and I posted impressions?

Yes, I did miss that post. It's not unreasonable to have not read every single post in such a long thread during such a huge event. But if that's the case, why is it when I point out it's not the super over amazing, you just point out it's me, where as you did the same thing. I didn't say it was bad, I didn't say it wasn't an improvement, I just said it wasn't holy shit amazing like the rest of the people were saying it was going to be when it was announced.

Don't try to act like you know me. If you're going to get pissy about everyone making assumptions about what a confusing and awkward poster you are, don't try to assume the intentions of anyone else.

Irony....

It's fucking hilarious how you're trying to lecture us on how we see everything as black and white at the same time you're posting about how you see us all as irrational fanboys. Fuck off, dude. Try to start making sense.

You first.... I don't see how it doesn't make sense at the contrast of over hype about the screen to then asking people to calm down and wait and see over the reception. That's a contrast in behavior that is only explained in one favors Apple while the other does not. I don't see how it doesn't make sense that I say the screen is an improvement but it's not all the hype that people said when you said the same thing too. Shrug, you first.

Marty Chinn said:
I don't see how it doesn't make sense at the contrast of over hype about the screen to then asking people to calm down and wait and see over the reception.
Where did I say that? I told one guy in particular to stop raging so much because nothing can fix it now while he kept acting like it could. Is this like the millionth time you've misunderstood someone's intentions on this forum?

Marty Chinn said:
I don't see how it doesn't make sense that I say the screen is an improvement but it's not all the hype that people said when you said the same thing too. Shrug, you first.
I wrote "it's Marty Chinn" in reference to my feelings that were similar to the perfect analogy given by the other Mortal Kombat guy. You live in Bizarro world where everything is different, and you get so bothered and unnecessarily confused over why things in the real world aren't like they are in your mind's alternate universe, like how if the screen still sucked then everything else could be even better! No shit, Marty. No fucking shit. Why do you keep posting that? No one cares. We have a better screen now and you'll never get your iPhone 4 that has the old screen. Talk about reality.

The difference between you and anyone else is that when someone else has a hypothetical idea, they don't keep repeating it at everyone for no reason whatsoever. You argue hypothetical situations with the same ferocity and social obliviousness of an abortion protestor. What makes it even worse is that every time GAF starts calling you out on being stupid again, you pull out the good old "you're all just acting like fanboys" card.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Where did I say that? I told one guy in particular to stop raging so much because nothing can fix it now while he kept acting like it could. Is this like the millionth time you've misunderstood someone's intentions on this forum?

You're the one who sis telling me that I don't make sense and I'm pointing out a fairly accurate observation about Apple fans. Not just you, and may not every single Apple fan on the planet, but a general stance that has been taken. You can go back and find numerous posts of people blowing their load over the screen but those same people can be found telling everyone to calm down over the reception issue and for awhile was trying to deny it was a problem. You don't need to do anything but read this and the other thread to see it. That is a contrasting stance which only seems to be because one is good for Apple while the other one is not. That's not hard to see.

I wrote "it's Marty Chinn" in reference to my feelings that were similar to the perfect analogy given by the other Mortal Kombat guy. You live in Bizarro world where everything is different, and you get so bothered and unnecessarily confused over why things in the real world aren't like they are in your mind's alternate universe, like how if the screen still sucked then everything else could be even better! No shit, Marty. No fucking shit. Why do you keep posting that? No one cares. We have a better screen now and you'll never get your iPhone 4 that has the old screen. Talk about reality.

The difference between you and anyone else is that when someone else has a hypothetical idea, they don't keep repeating it at everyone for no reason whatsoever. You argue hypothetical situations with the same ferocity and social obliviousness of an abortion protestor.

So let me get this straight, blowing your load over this screen is reality, but bizarro world is where someone says it looks nicer. Gotcha. I think it goes the other way around. Apple fans overhype things or believe they've even invented the wheel sometimes where as reality is outside that realm. I guess I'm also "confused" on a limitation of 12 apps in a folder while reality is everyone will understand the limitation.

And look, going back to the screen, you apparently miss posts too because mrkgoo explicitly asked what my thoughts were now so I told him that. It's the justification on my stance of why I wouldn't have minded had they stuck with a lower res screen. Are we only allowed to talk about things as they are and not question when a company doesn't do something because we can't change that fact? That would be a lame limitation on discussion. I already even said we'll never know what the difference would be, but to say I have no case for having preferred them keeping the original screen is being dense.

Marty Chinn said:
You're the one who sis telling me that I don't make sense and I'm pointing out a fairly accurate observation about Apple fans. Not just you, and may not every single Apple fan on the planet, but a general stance that has been taken. You can go back and find numerous posts of people blowing their load over the screen but those same people can be found telling everyone to calm down over the reception issue and for awhile was trying to deny it was a problem. You don't need to do anything but read this and the other thread to see it. That is a contrasting stance which only seems to be because one is good for Apple while the other one is not. That's not hard to see.

So let me get this straight, blowing your load over this screen is reality, but bizarro world is where someone says it looks nicer. Gotcha. I think it goes the other way around. Apple fans overhype things or believe they've even invented the wheel sometimes where as reality is outside that realm. I guess I'm also "confused" on a limitation of 12 apps in a folder while reality is everyone will understand the limitation.

And look, going back to the screen, you apparently miss posts too because mrkgoo explicitly asked what my thoughts were now so I told him that. It's the justification on my stance of why I wouldn't have minded had they stuck with a lower res screen. Are we only allowed to talk about things as they are and not question when a company doesn't do something because we can't change that fact? That would be a lame limitation on discussion. I already even said we'll never know what the difference would be, but to say I have no case for having preferred them keeping the original screen is being dense.
If you were a supervillian, your alias would be "Ad Nauseam".

dskillzhtown said:
Really? I stood in line at the mall near my job for an hour and a half this morning and got one. When I got there, there were about 30 people ahead of me. Of course hadly anyone knew the Apple Stores would have stock today. If I had gotten there maybe an hour earlier, the wait would have been alot shorter.

Check your pm, fellow Houstonian.

JohngPR

Well this sucks. I've been on vacation for a few weeks and just realized that I'm going back to work, where there will be the highest chance I drop my phone and I don't have a case for it! Called a few Apple Stores and none of them have the bumper cases. Looks like I'm screwed. :(

Burger

Marty Chinn said:

Holy shit I'm getting horrible flashbacks to some other awful thread...

Nooo!!! :lol :lol :lol

Marty Chinn said:
The view angle and being closer to the surface are definitely much more appealing to me than the resolution. That could have been addressed without going to the higher res.

A res bump was needed really (the 3gs screen is seriously lagging behind the competition) and doubling it in both planes makes a lot of sense, however the dpi wars bullshit that has arisen from the results is ridiculous.
The extra .2^ on my Desire is far more beneficial to my use of the device than any dpi increase & i think apple missed a trick by sticking to the smaller size. That is of course only my preference but i think the majority of users would prefer a slightly larger screen if Apple could minimise any increase in body width.

Major Williams said:
Made a quick HD video in iMovie.

See it here in 720p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhaiiHpu8pY&hd=1
Just a video of my dog at the dog park, but this program has lots of potential.

Nice video, although I really don't see the HDness of the HD video. When i watch things that were shot with a DSLR in HD everything is super crisp and bright. You can tell that it is HD. Does the 720p on the iphone 4 much better then the iphone 3GS video?

Minsc

Gold Member
Technosteve said:
Nice video, although I really don't see the HDness of the HD video. When i watch things that were shot with a DSLR in HD everything is super crisp and bright. You can tell that it is HD. Does the 720p on the iphone 4 much better then the iphone 3GS video?

It actually got rated the best video camera of any smartphone, only lost to the fliq according to macworld this article said. The camera handily beat the Evo, losing only the that 10.2MP Sony and the 12MP samsung phone.

This short clip was posted a while ago, while not the best example due to a lack of a steady hand, is a raw capture, so the clarity is more apparent.

Tobor

Marty Chinn said:
Since we're all venting now, might as well point out looks like you were wrong about it being software according to Steve Jobs.

As long as we're venting, you can admit you were wrong about the market for the iPad. ;)

Minsc said:
It actually got rated the best video camera of any smartphone, only lost to the fliq according to macworld this article said. The camera handily beat the Evo, losing only the that 10.2MP Sony and the 12MP samsung phone.

This short clip was posted a while ago, while not the best example due to a lack of a steady hand, is a raw capture, so the clarity is more apparent.

Ok that raw video is pretty good, youtube does some pretty horrible compression.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
JohngPR said:
Well this sucks. I've been on vacation for a few weeks and just realized that I'm going back to work, where there will be the highest chance I drop my phone and I don't have a case for it! Called a few Apple Stores and none of them have the bumper cases. Looks like I'm screwed. :(

You can always go to best buy, walmart, radio shack and even the AT&T store for cases.

Blackhead

Redarse
Core77 speaks with Jonathan Ive on the design of the iPhone 4: Material Matters

pe77v.jpg

As a designer you can't help but think about weird stuff. I can't help but imagine that if curious space aliens with no knowledge of human artifacts came to this planet and went through my apartment, they'd initially find little to distinguish one possession from another. But I'd be willing to wager that it is the iPhone 4, amidst the clutter of objects on my desk, that they would pick up and begin inquisitively licking or running their antennae over or what have you.

The new iPhone is currently the standout object on my desk, this thing that looks like a mere black rectangle from across the room but starts to look like something very different at the range it's meant to be used at. Holding it, you understand at once why Apple has physical stores; while you can watch iPhone commercials or see print campaigns about its features, when you first hold this exquisitely-crafted object you have a different experience entirely, one that cannot be adequately conveyed in two dimensions. Having seen countless photos of the device in advance, I was still surprised by the real thing when I popped it out of the box and touched it.

"A big part of the experience of a physical object has to do with the materials," says Jonathan Ive, Apple's Senior Vice President of Design, during a brief chat with Core77. "[At Apple] we experiment with and explore materials, processing them, learning about the inherent properties of the material--and the process of transforming it from raw material to finished product; for example, understanding exactly how the processes of machining it or grinding it affect it. That understanding, that preoccupation with the materials and processes, is [very] essential to the way we work."

xJrmI.jpg

It is this sort of materials obsession and constant experimentation that led to a decision to use scratch-resistant aluminosilicate glass for the front and back of the phone, as well as developing their own variant of stainless steel to edge the device. When you see the breaks, the three little black reveals that interrupt the band, in photographs, you could be forgiven for assuming you're seeing three separate strips of metal with gaps in between; but in fact it's all one piece.

UNnRk.jpg

"Those three black splits are co-molded in, and then the band goes through more processes," Ive points out. "So it's assembled first, the band, and then the final machining and grinding are performed, so the tolerances are extraordinary.... Whatever people's feelings are about the actual design of the product is of course subjective. But objectively I can say that the manufacturing tolerances are phenomenal. And we determined this, we designed it from the very beginning to meet those goals."

2gIFN.jpg

Md3k8.jpg

The goals have been well-met, and on the subject of phenomenal tolerances, when you see the phone be sure to check out the insanely thin reveal around the hatch for the Micro SIM card on the side; I've never seen that kind of tolerance on something I could actually afford to buy. Upon seeing it my first thought was I will never pop that open, because I'm convinced it will never close again. "I assure you, it will," Ive laughs. "The amount of care that went into that SIM tray is extraordinary. To achieve this kind of build quality is extraordinarily hard work and requires care across so many teams. It demands incredibly close collaboration with experts in certain areas, material sciences and so on."

AjUqv.jpg

That last part reminds me that there must have been a sizeable team behind the iPhone 4, and Ive confirms it, mentioning the importance of collaboration between engineering, manufacturing and design. It is an intense interplay between these fields that can yield mastery of the material, which is where everything starts with this object. "The best design explicitly acknowledges that you cannot disconnect the form from the material--the material informs the form," says Ive. "It is the polar opposite of working virtually in CAD to create an arbitrary form that you then render as a particular material, annotating a part and saying 'that's wood' and so on. Because when an object's materials, the materials' processes and the form are all perfectly aligned, that object has a very real resonance on lots of levels. People recognize that object as authentic and real in a very particular way."

For the sake of Core77's design student readership, I divert briefly into the realm of design education and ask Ive if he has any advice for students. "While [design schools today may have] sophisticated virtual design tools, the danger in relying on them too much is that we can end up isolated from the physical world," he says. "In our quest to quickly make three-dimensional objects, we can miss out on the experience of making something that helps give us our first understandings of form and material, of the way a material behaves--'I press too hard here, and it breaks here' and so on. Some of the digital rendering tools are impressive, but it's important that people still really try and figure out a way of gaining direct experience with the materials."

It is that direct experience, the hands-on, that is the key; like experiencing the iPhone 4 itself, it cannot be done without the physical connection. "It's very hard to learn about materials academically, by reading about them or watching videos about them; the only way you truly understand a material is by making things with it," Ive explains, going on to add that years upon years of making his own models with his own hands is what gave him a deep understanding of the materials he's worked. "And it's important to develop that appetite to want to make something, to be inquisitive about the material world, to want to truly understand a material on that level."

And what about when students graduate and become working designers? Absent the structured assignments of a Production Methods or Materials class, how ought designers stay abreast of materials? The best place for it to happen, of course, is in the workplace itself. "For a designer to continually learn about materials is not extracurricular," Ive points out, "it's absolutely essential."

hmmm

JohngPR

neojubei said:
That's the same one I bought. It is a place holder until I find one that I want. Did you buy something to protect the screen.

Nah, I'm not a big fan of screen protectors. I always find a way of screwing up when I'm trying to apply them and then it becomes a glorified piece of tape.

:lol

That's why I really like the flip top cases. They protect the screen when you aren't using them and it's easy to open up.

Gooster said:
She's a pretty dog. :)
Thanks! German shepherd, husky, and possibly Shar Pei. She's really great.

As for the clarity of this phone vs a DSLR, you can't even compare a $300 HD video camera by Sony or Panasonic vs a DSLR (i.e. Nikon D90) with HD video. That is professional equipment with up to 12 pieces of glass in a lens and a sensor that is made of the gods usually.

That's like comparing the multiplayer of a DS game vs xbox live. Two different fields and applications.

You absolutely can tell it's HD, just not crazy HD. I for one am very pleased.

Edit:

Bought one of these silicone cases for $0.99 with free shipping. Probably won't arrive for 2 weeks, but for a buck who cares.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Would one of you be so kind as to create a new thread to discuss the iPhone 4? Would really appreciate that.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Messing around with iMovie I just shot and edited this using nothing but the iPhone. Pretty fun!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I'm having a couple of problems and I'm curious to know if anyone has any ideas...

1) The phone refuses to remember my WiFi network. Every single time I leave and return, the phone just remains on 3G rather than reconnecting to WiFi. I have to manually connect every time. This was never the case with my 3GS.

2) It takes 4 times as long to connect to my car over Bluetooth compared to the 3GS. I don't get this. It WILL connect every time, but it takes at least 2-3 minutes. Don't get it.

Other than that, it works a treat, but I'd love to solve these issues.

JohngPR

dark10x said:
OK, I'm having a couple of problems and I'm curious to know if anyone has any ideas...

1) The phone refuses to remember my WiFi network. Every single time I leave and return, the phone just remains on 3G rather than reconnecting to WiFi. I have to manually connect every time. This was never the case with my 3GS.

The same thing happened to me today. I restarted my phone and it seems like it fixed the problem.

Ecto311

Headed to the apple store tomorrow. My wife's phone doesn't have any sound when recording video or facetime. This seems to be a problem for others and from what I have read apple should swap the phones out. Do they transfer over everything from the old phone?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Ugh. So as for my issue with best buy - I went back up to let them know how unacceptable the issue with the iPhone was and I got someone who seemed infinitely more capable and aware of the situation than I was talking to previously. He said that he was off during the iPhone 4 release (conveniently :lol ) and that it was handled by someone else.

He clarified the situation for me and said that no one should have gotten 32gigs if they didn't preorder one and the mistake was Best Buy's. He also said that Apple had promised them 50 of each model but they only received 20 of each, and I was 22 in line for the 32gig. Which seemed strange to me because I remember the guy saying when I preordered that they were getting 50 total, with no idea of what the split would be. So I'm still not sure exactly whose fault it is - Apples, the Douchebag who handled the launch, or BB, or Marty Chinn's, or a little bit of everyone.

Anyways, he said I am #2 in line for when their next shipment comes in but he said it could be anywhere from a week to a month before they get any more in considering how much trouble Apple is having getting them out there. : (

Finally, he offered me a 50 dollar gift certificate as a consolation prize, which would not affect my 50 dollar deposit in any way. So at least there is that. At least out of this whole ordeal I got SC2 for 50 bucks off (when it comes out) :lol

mrkgoo

Marty Chinn said:

I feel like you're talking about me :(

Maybe it's true. I feel sad now. Maybe I do need to distance myself from all this Apple nonsense.

Anyway, I'm having issues with my iPhone 3G and charging with my iPad charger on ios4 still. Overnight, it charges, but the icon says red, when actually it's fully charged(restarting brings it back to the correct icon).

I'lll have to see if it happens with regular charging.

bionic77

dark10x said:

2) It takes 4 times as long to connect to my car over Bluetooth compared to the 3GS. I don't get this. It WILL connect every time, but it takes at least 2-3 minutes. Don't get it.

Other than that, it works a treat, but I'd love to solve these issues.
Nope it is way faster than my 3G at connecting to Wifi and not a single problem with BT. Though I wish Apple opened up more features through bluetooth but that is another issue altogether.

Top Bottom