• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC13 Thread of iOS 7 & Mac OS X 10.9, where a whole new world's developing

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They could make it an option, like silence/orientation on the iPad.
I used it for a bit back when I jailbroke and it was nifty. Useful in situations where you can't look.

That's what double (for next) or triple (for previous) tapping the play button on your headphones is for.

LCfiner

I sure love having to bring my phone up while biking and press two buttons just to go to the next song.
The use is pretty apparent to me.

1. you probably shouldn't have earphones on when biking.
2. you can get inline controls that plug into one end of the earphone and then into the phone (or just use earphones with built in controls). even easier than touching the phone at all.

I have some Bluetooth headphones that I consider otherwise great, but every time I go to adjust the volume, it changes the fucking song. It's infuriating. Maybe buy a pair of those?

Fuchsdh

I sure love having to bring my phone up while biking and press two buttons just to go to the next song.
It's the reason I've kept my old iPod classic. Holds my entire library and I can use it safely while driving.

numble

The phone comes with earphones with that option built-in, you can get other headphones/earphones or even just line-in accessories that plug into any headphone, and Bluetooth earphones/headphones also have that functionality. This is better than using the volume function which would lead to frustrating false positives (hey, this is a good song, I'm gonna turn up the volume--*skip*). And you can have your phone in a bag or arm strap that. doesn't need touching or fiddling with (which would be dangerous on a bike).

Symphonia

Banned
So I'm still having trouble opening up Phoenix Wright HD. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app a number of times now and the same thing happens every time - it starts to load, the screen turns black and the app automatically closes. It used to do the same with Skype but I believe they ironed that bug out in the second beta release. I'd assume it would be down to Capcom to develop and release a patch for this so it begs the question - why haven't they? Or am I just the only one who is experiencing this?

Also, I had a slight problem with Spotify today, although it might've been a hardware issue or a problem with my earpods, I don't know. Either way, I'd paused my music to talk to someone but when I started playing again, through the Spotify app, the music sounded really tinny and even had a slight echo to it. It was also louder through one pod than the other. I rebooted my iPhone and it worked fine. Has anyone else experienced this or, again, is it just me?

cjkeats

That's what double (for next) or triple (for previous) tapping the play button on your headphones is for.

Yes, when I occasionally use those headphones, which isn't often. I mostly used the volume button switching in the car playing over the stereo via bluetooth.

mrkgoo

The phone comes with earphones with that option built-in, you can get other headphones/earphones or even just line-in accessories that plug into any headphone, and Bluetooth earphones/headphones also have that functionality. This is better than using the volume function which would lead to frustrating false positives (hey, this is a good song, I'm gonna turn up the volume--*skip*). And you can have your phone in a bag or arm strap that. doesn't need touching or fiddling with (which would be dangerous on a bike).

Personally I think adding layers and layers of controls to few buttons as being a bit messy.

Even the home button with playback controls, Siri, multitasking and accessibility options to be crazy.

Thing is apple wants the simplicity of a few buttons that do what they are meant to.

I propose they add one button on the side, maybe in between the volume controls so that it mirrors the headphones. It can be a configurable button depending on software and defaults to behaving just like the headphones.

ecurbj

Hi, I just bought a Mac just a few days ago. I wanted to know since OS X 10.9 is about to release soon. How does this work for new Mac users? Do we get a free download to this or does it cost to upgrade to OS X 10.9?

mrkgoo

Hi, I just bought a Mac just a few days ago. I wanted to know since OS X 10.9 is about to release soon. How does this work for new Mac users? Do we get a free download to this or does it cost to upgrade to OS X 10.9?
If I recall, normally they announce a date for release, and from that announcement onwards, new macs are eligible for a free upgrade.

They haven't announced a date yet. Neither gave they announced a price. I'm hoping it's no more than $20.

Thing is, last year they announced the priced of mountain lion by this time last year, so anyone buying a mac from mid June were eligible for the free upgrade. This year they didn't give a price. There are sound people who are speculating it to be free (I doubt it).

ecurbj

If I recall, normally they announce a date for release, and from that announcement onwards, new macs are eligible for a free upgrade.

They haven't announced a date yet. Neither gave they announced a price. I'm hoping it's no more than $20.

Thing is, last year they announced the priced of mountain lion by this time last year, so anyone buying a mac from mid June were eligible for the free upgrade. This year they didn't give a price. There are sound people who are speculating it to be free (I doubt it).

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sure the announcement will happen at the "rumored September 10th" conference.

sangreal

So I'm still having trouble opening up Phoenix Wright HD. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app a number of times now and the same thing happens every time - it starts to load, the screen turns black and the app automatically closes. It used to do the same with Skype but I believe they ironed that bug out in the second beta release. I'd assume it would be down to Capcom to develop and release a patch for this so it begs the question - why haven't they? Or am I just the only one who is experiencing this?

doesn't open for me either, and if you google it you'll see a lot of complaints about it. Someone around here said it works fine for them, but I have no idea how.

Fuchsdh

You're spoiled. I will gladly pay $30 for upgrades, hell I would still pay $120. Compare those prices with a copy of Windows 7 or 8 where a non-gimped version is at least $130-140.

Speaking of which: I know for Bootcamp I need a copy of XP SP2 or better, but under Mountain Lion does it have to be a 64 bit copy or can it be a 32 bit version? Can't find a 64bit copy that's also SP2 it seems...

muddream

Banned
You're spoiled. I will gladly pay $30 for upgrades, hell I would still pay $120. Compare those prices with a copy of Windows 7 or 8 where a non-gimped version is at least $130-140.

You're the reason cool Mac users such as myself face the type of stereotype-based discrimination a straight white male should never have to endure. Microsoft didn't just make a boatload of cash selling you their hardware, Apple charges for their service packs because they can. Fortunately the useful idiot demographic is small enough on iOS.

mrkgoo

Speaking of which: I know for Bootcamp I need a copy of XP SP2 or better, but under Mountain Lion does it have to be a 64 bit copy or can it be a 32 bit version? Can't find a 64bit copy that's also SP2 it seems...

I don't know where you get the notion of me being spoiled.

Apple have set the prices of their upgrades themselves at a low price since snow leopard ( and also switched to a more rapid development cycle more akin perhaps to iOS), knowing that they make money off their hardware, but also reaping benefits from keeping users as up to date as possible.

My comment wasn't me being cheap or entitled, more speculation as to the price, seeing as they haven't announced it. I originally write "hoping its not more than $30", as I was picking out the price I thought mountain lion cost but googled it and found out it was $20. I think mavericks has substantially more to offer than mountain lion did, so is worth much more, but apple have much more foresight than that to lower the price only to raise it again so soon.

I'm with you that the releases aren't just updates, but substantial feature releases and that pricing should reflect that, but the average user simple sees the point release number and price tag. Like I said, apple wouldn't have purposely dropped mountain lion to $20 without having some plan as to what they were doing with mavericks. I already find it odd that they haven't announced the price.

I'm curious about why iOS 7 b7 hasn't been released to developers yet; supposedly it was released to carriers (or something) over a week ago.

Dany

Banned
I had to replace my phone. Can someone register my UDID? I'd be happy to pay, its just unfortunate to lose 2 and half months of data. :/

Top Bottom