• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC16 Thread of iOS 10, macOS 10.12, watchOS & tvOS. print (“Hello, WWDC!”)

MickD

macOS - running very smooth on my Early 2015 MBP 3.1 i7 - 16GB

• Had some issues getting Siri to work at first, then it randomly working a few days later? Very weird.
  • No issues with my work apps - Adobe, Final Cut Pro, Maya 3D
  • Can't get my Native Instruments music creation apps working - Maschine/Traktor - but they usually never work on Mac operating systems without an update anyway. Pretty common.

iOS - running on 6+
My GF did the iOS beta update as well. Pretty fun using all the new iMessage features. Lots of hand drawn dicks have gone her way.. The future is here.

Finally the calendar widget shows all day events! I never understood why the hell it wouldn't show up anywhere prior!

• The App Store refuses to install some apps, I couldn't update Instagram yesterday, so I decided to delete and reinstall. Bad Idea. Now it just hangs on the circle with the square inside.
  • Facebook crashes nearly every time I open it.
  • Random crashes, but I've done almost every beta and this has always been common.

Had some issues getting Siri to work at first, then it randomly working a few days later? Very weird.

I had this with iOS. Mail and Messages viewed in landscape and Notifications wouldn't work at all.
Now since yesterday they work completely fine. It's like there was a stealth update or something, odd.

It seems weird that after you 3D touch a notification on the lock screen the only options you have are to dismiss it or share it. Why can't I open up the app from that screen? Am I doing something wrong?

Mr Swine

Banned
macOS - running very smooth on my Early 2015 MBP 3.1 i7 - 16GB

• Had some issues getting Siri to work at first, then it randomly working a few days later? Very weird.
  • No issues with my work apps - Adobe, Final Cut Pro, Maya 3D
  • Can't get my Native Instruments music creation apps working - Maschine/Traktor - but they usually never work on Mac operating systems without an update anyway. Pretty common.

iOS - running on 6+
My GF did the iOS beta update as well. Pretty fun using all the new iMessage features. Lots of hand drawn dicks have gone her way.. The future is here.

Finally the calendar widget shows all day events! I never understood why the hell it wouldn't show up anywhere prior!

• The App Store refuses to install some apps, I couldn't update Instagram yesterday, so I decided to delete and reinstall. Bad Idea. Now it just hangs on the circle with the square inside.
  • Facebook crashes nearly every time I open it.
  • Random crashes, but I've done almost every beta and this has always been common.

How is the performance on iPhone 6+ is it just as good as iOS 9.3 or is it slightly worse or much worse?

MickD

Between slightly worse and much worse - It's fun and all but be prepared for bugs. I really can't wait for an update.. Some things are driving me nuts.

Forgot to mention how glitchy iMessage has become.

The emoji predictive thing is really really stupid.. I can't believe it's a thing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Third-Party menu bar items can now be rearranged using Cmd-click.

I thought this day would never come.
Explain this. Does it work with all apps? Like right out of the box? And does it persist after a reboot? Because I am really really excited for this if so. July can't come fast enough.

I always thought it was silly that Apple only allowed it for Apple apps and didn't fight the few that weren't Apple apps but didn't open it up to other devs.

I mean ever since they abandoned Docklings (REMEMBER THOSE? The predecessor to menulings. They thought the Dock was the wave of the future. Everything went down there back then.) it was silly they didn't open the API for menubar apps even though devs were obviously moving that way. And didn't fight devs that hacked it so they could do it to. (At least until a couple releases ago when iStats Menus suddenly couldn't rearrange their icons anymore so they had to implement a built-in version that just puts them all in one group and sets where it sits.

Also, can you move all icons, like Spotlight, Notifications and Siri?

What about removing them? With official apps you can remove them by dragging them out, but I suspect other devs will need to implement an "on remove" callback that simply quits or hides the icon when the user does it. And if you can remove stuff, can you remove Siri, Spotlight and Notifications while still having them available? (I mean obviously Spotlight can be accessed with Command+Space, Siri has a Dock icon and a key combo and Notifications has its own gesture.

I just wish all the devs would agree on a standard padding for the icons. I mean look at this for example...

PqKdZjJ.png
Official apps have a bunch of padding but third party ones vary. I think it should be standard and flexible depending on how many icons are there. Also I have a lot of icons up there.

Also, FFS CrashPlan. Can you please Retina-ize and Dark Mode-ize your icon?

Sean

Banned
It seems weird that after you 3D touch a notification on the lock screen the only options you have are to dismiss it or share it. Why can't I open up the app from that screen? Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, agreed. You should be able to tap on the notification text there to launch the app from that screen.

I'd like them to add more ways to dismiss that notification too. There's a little "X" close button and you can swipe downwards, but I'd like to be able to swipe upwards or simply tap the 90% of unused screen to dismiss.

Anyone else running 10 on an iPad Air 2 and having issues with keys not detecting touch as you type, and the Shift key constantly jumping to Caps Lock even after the slightest touch?

Can't wait for an update...

Edit: Oh, and notifications not dismissing themselves on my iPad or iPhone.

HUELEN10

Props to Cupertino then. optimizes the system, let's jail breakers make the move faster which in turn can help lead to a more secure OS in the future. Very forward-thinking of Cupertino, and I support this move 100 percent.

Maximus.

I really hope dark mode for iOS officially comes out sooner than later.

On the macOS side, I am disappointed there wasn't talk about supporting the changes necessary for more gaming. I was really disappointed with Overwatch not getting a Mac release (wonder if it will ever) and was hoping Apple was going to address the barrier Blizzard discussed.

Explain this. Does it work with all apps? Like right out of the box? And does it persist after a reboot? Because I am really really excited for this if so. July can't come fast enough.

I have all those same questions xD Haven't actually downloaded the macOS beta, only relaying what I've seen on twitter/heard on podcasts/seen on YouTube.

I can say though that, at least in the beta, you can't drag the icons off the menubar to remove them. Obviously I don't know if this is an actual limitation imposed by Apple or if devs will just have to update their apps to use this functionality (hopefully it's the latter).

EDIT: As for Siri's menubar icon, I saw the Siri prefpane on a Youtube video review a couple of days and it had an option to hide the menubar icon. They won't force you to keep the dock icon, so I think it's safe to say we can still access it even without the dock/menubar visible. Thank god btw, I like to keep my dock B&W and that colorful siri icon bugged the hell out of me as soon as i saw it.

EDIT2:

Fzgu8QS.png

https://twitter.com/bjango/status/745939569221132288

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

On the macOS side, I am disappointed there wasn't talk about supporting the changes necessary for more gaming. I was really disappointed with Overwatch not getting a Mac release (wonder if it will ever) and was hoping Apple was going to address the barrier Blizzard discussed.

Yeah, Gaming on macOS is terrible at the moment. Admittedly I'm running a 2010 iMac, but even playing something as simple as Team Fortress 2 is a headache.

hirokazu

I'd say it'd be out in time fo iPhones with OLED displays.

Ambitious

Apparently, cmd+shift+T to reopen closed tabs is a thing in the Safari 10 beta. Has anyone tried it? Did they just change the shortcut, or can you actually reopen multiple tabs now?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm looking forward to playing around with the Documents and Desktop syncing feature.

I actually use Hazel and DropBox for moving some files across my two machines. Like I'd download a specific file type, Hazel might notice it on the desktop and know it's supposed to be moved, will move it into a folder on my DropBox, which syncs it, then on the other machine Hazel will pick it up with it syncs and move it to the proper place. Now I might be able to cut down on my Hazel use. I might not even need DropBox anymore.

I'll have to see how it handles syncing the Documents folder though. I wish it would let you choose certain folders to sync and not just documents and desktop. I keep a lot of files in my Documents folder, but I also have stuff in my Pictures and Movies folders I might want sync too. Stuff that's not part of my Photos Library and isn't supposed to because it's not photos. I would have to move them to my Documents folder to get them to sync. And I assume iCloud Drive doesn't work with Symlinks like DropBox does yet.

It also appears you can't only enable one of the folders. Only both or none.

Either way, Sierra is going to make me do some rearranging and rethinking. Can't wait.

Sean

Banned
I'm looking forward to playing around with the Documents and Desktop syncing feature.

I actually use Hazel and DropBox for moving some files across my two machines. Like I'd download a specific file type, Hazel might notice it on the desktop and know it's supposed to be moved, will move it into a folder on my DropBox, which syncs it, then on the other machine Hazel will pick it up with it syncs and move it to the proper place. Now I might be able to cut down on my Hazel use. I might not even need DropBox anymore.

I'll have to see how it handles syncing the Documents folder though. I wish it would let you choose certain folders to sync and not just documents and desktop. I keep a lot of files in my Documents folder, but I also have stuff in my Pictures and Movies folders I might want sync too. Stuff that's not part of my Photos Library and isn't supposed to because it's not photos. I would have to move them to my Documents folder to get them to sync. And I assume iCloud Drive doesn't work with Symlinks like DropBox does yet.

It also appears you can't only enable one of the folders. Only both or none.

Either way, Sierra is going to make me do some rearranging and rethinking. Can't wait.

I love the idea of this feature, it's something I've wanted for well over a decade now. But I highly doubt it'll be flexible enough for how I use my computer.

Often times I have huge media files on the desktop temporarily that I wouldn't want synced to iCloud. It'd be a waste of both my bandwidth and my paid iCloud storage. There needs to be a way to set certain rules and restrictions, like "Exclude movie files over 100mb" for example.

You should also be able to exclude certain files or folders from ever being synced/backed up (kinda like you can with Time Machine and Spotlight privacy). I have a 60gb Parallels Virtual Machine in my Documents folder. I could move that to another folder and stuff but it'd be nice if I didn't have to think about any of these situations.

I very much doubt these features will be there, at least in Sierra. Hopefully future versions of macOS. But I'm excited that they're finally starting to tackle a very common annoyance for people who own multiple computers.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love the idea of this feature, it's something I've wanted for well over a decade now. But I highly doubt it'll be flexible enough for how I use my computer..
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it works. Plus it'll be in Beta so hopefully people will report it and they'll tweak it before Sierra comes out.

I wouldn't mind wasting bandwidth personally since we have Verizon FiOS Quantum. It's the upload and download speed that would concern me. DropBox takes FOREVER. I want a Cloud syncing feature that utilizes a lot more than just a megabyte per second or something. Also, I would want iCloud Sync to be smart enough to sync to my local Macs first, THEN upload the file when that's done. I know DropBox does the opposite. It uploads first, then copies across the LAN to your local machines to save bandwidth so it doesn't have to download the file again. At the very least I'd hope iCloud does this.

The only thing I won't use and I hope it's optional is removing files to save space. I don't need that. Personally I'd rather macOS just let me optionally get a 500GB tier and sync my entire Home folder to iCloud. At least give me granular options like DropBox. Let me browse through my Home folder and pick what folders to sync. All my Home folders. Including Photos (Obviously the Library folder would be disabled since that's handled separately) and Movies and Music. (Once again, the iTunes Library would be disabled since you can use Match for that.) I might change it so my Downloads go to my Downloads folder instead since I switched it to the Desktop. Just in case it can't ignore large files. I hope iCloud Drive gains a status menubar icon like DropBox that tells me what's being uploaded or downloaded and when it'll be done.

I'm also interested in the "Tabs in Every App!" feature. They say they'll work without developers needing to do anything. So does that mean they'll work in say Sublime Text so I can have multiple projects open in one window? I mean you can have a project and it has its own tabs for each document so it'd be neat to then have multiple projects in one place.

And universal clipboard. That will be so nice to have. No more needing separate utilities. Next step, give us a clipboard history built-in with say 50-100 recent entries so I don't need CopyLess. (I used to use PTH PasteBoard but it seems to have died off... again. And all the other clipboard apps I've seen are ugly as sin or work badly.) At least CopyLess looks and works fine enough. But I'll kill for a built-in option.

Not to mention goddamn Picture-in-Picture. Please VLC, implement that quickly! (If only macOS could have a whitelist that already knows VLC is a video app and would put a PIP icon in the titlebar next to the fullscreen button.)

Also, this video gets me really excited for the Public Beta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1un9d8ociyk
It's 23 minutes. A lot I didn't know about either.

ramyeon

Growing to like iOS10. I still think the fonts are too big, and Music.app is a mess if you just want to see the music you physically have on the device and nothing else.

Beta is buggy as though, one of the more buggy betas I've tried with iOS. Constant crashing - Facebook is a main one, and the Facebook Pages app just isn't functional at all.

MickD

Is it possible to go back from MacOS beta? I just bought some steam games I can't play, plus some software I could need doesn't work.

Edit - looks like I have to reinstall. Ok..

hirokazu

Is it possible to go back from MacOS beta? I just bought some steam games I can't play, plus some software I could need doesn't work.

Edit - looks like I have to reinstall. Ok..
This comes up every time, but don't install this on your main system. It's trivial to have it on a seperate disk or partition! And either way, use backups!

That said, if you're not aware of those sorts of recommendations, what are you doing with the developer previews? Your computer, your choice, but it seems incredibly dumb.

hirokazu

Growing to like iOS10. I still think the fonts are too big, and Music.app is a mess if you just want to see the music you physically have on the device and nothing else.

Beta is buggy as though, one of the more buggy betas I've tried with iOS. Constant crashing - Facebook is a main one, and the Facebook Pages app just isn't functional at all.
I'm guessing you can no longer hide the Apple Music stuff and have your own library's playlist and stuff broken out?

ramyeon

I'm guessing you can no longer hide the Apple Music stuff and have your own library's playlist and stuff broken out?
That's what I've always done in the past. I don't use Apple Music but I don't like it showing my iTunes purchases, couldn't find any option to hide this stuff away at all. There is still an option to not show Apple Music though.

There is a section called "Downloaded Music" which is like this but honestly I'd just like the option to hide anything not physically on the device, period.

hirokazu

That's what I've always done in the past. I don't use Apple Music but I don't like it showing my iTunes purchases, couldn't find any option to hide this stuff away at all. There is still an option to not show Apple Music though.

There is a section called "Downloaded Music" which is like this but honestly I'd just like the option to hide anything not physically on the device, period.
So is it still easier to access different parts of your music library if you hide the Apple Music stuff? For example, in iOS 9 if you hide it, the For You, Connect, etc are replaced with Playlists, Artists, which is way better than having to go to first go to My Music.

ramyeon

So is it still easier to access different parts of your music library if you hide the Apple Music stuff? For example, in iOS 9 if you hide it, the For You, Connect, etc are replaced with Playlists, Artists, which is way better than having to go to first go to My Music.
Tabs at the bottom are exactly the same now with it turned on or off. No Connect tab anymore though.

Library / For You / Browse / Radio /Search are the bottom tabs. Everything else is accessed through a menu on the Library tab.

It's a step backwards.

ramyeon

Strange that it's been so long without an update. I feel like past betas have been really frequent and consistent with their updates.

Guess Who

Banned

I will keep shilling for this app every time I see someone complain about Apple's Music app.

Get Cesium.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cesium-music-player/id924491991?mt=8

ramyeon

8.0 and 9.0 beta 1 were both 15 days until beta 2, so it's inline with previous years.
One of my apps is stuck in an update loop. Downloads and installs seemingly, but when I launch it's still the old version and the update reappears in the App Store. Is this a known bug of iOS10?

Saw someone running the iOS10 beta for the first time the other day, and they were complaining about battery life. I was like yeah, obviously? The girl was 13 and I don't think she understood what she downloaded (apparently a friend gave her the download) and the mom didn't k ow what a "beta" was and was like "If she has it obviously Apple released it!"

Edit: TOTALLY unrelated but I'm rewatching the keynote and when Eddy Q is talking about single-sign on for AppleTV he states:

"You sign in once on your AppleTV and you get access to all of your network apps. And we make it even better: a page on the App Store will show you all of the apps that you now have access to. And of course we're bringing this to iOS as well"

Single-sign on on iOS? Obviously it's straight from the source but I didn't read about that in any of the follow-up coverage

ramyeon

Hope Facebook irons out the bugs with all its apps prior to the public beta being pushed. It's pretty much broken on iOS 10 as is. Constant crashes.

jstripes

Banned
In 10.12 Beta 2, Photos' analysis engine sure loves chewing up my CPU when Photos isn't running.

This is less than ideal, because it's 30°C and I don't have air conditioning, and...

nMsOvKq.png

Top Bottom