• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC16 Thread of iOS 10, macOS 10.12, watchOS & tvOS. print (“Hello, WWDC!”)

PSYGN

I have all those same questions xD Haven't actually downloaded the macOS beta, only relaying what I've seen on twitter/heard on podcasts/seen on YouTube.

I can say though that, at least in the beta, you can't drag the icons off the menubar to remove them. Obviously I don't know if this is an actual limitation imposed by Apple or if devs will just have to update their apps to use this functionality (hopefully it's the latter).

EDIT: As for Siri's menubar icon, I saw the Siri prefpane on a Youtube video review a couple of days and it had an option to hide the menubar icon. They won't force you to keep the dock icon, so I think it's safe to say we can still access it even without the dock/menubar visible. Thank god btw, I like to keep my dock B&W and that colorful siri icon bugged the hell out of me as soon as i saw it.

EDIT2:

Fzgu8QS.png

https://twitter.com/bjango/status/745939569221132288

That's awesome but I think I'll still need Bartender to hide certain apps and show for a certain amount of time when it is active.

Down that same thread I saw this:
ClodmU4UoAA3Rph.jpg

That would be very welcome. Finder is getting more tolerable to use.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Down that same thread I saw this:
ClodmU4UoAA3Rph.jpg

That would be very welcome. Finder is getting more tolerable to use.
My problem is that it only says it does it when sorted by name. I want it to ALWAYS have folders on top. Most of my folders are sorted by Date Modified. This would end up being yet another useless new Finder feature I can't even use (Like the lackluster tabs and the ability to have other labels than the default 7 because you can't choose custom colors other than the default rainbow.) if it doesn't let me force the folders up there in all sort views.

Fox1304

I had installed the Beta 1, that was frankly atrocious, and had the good idea to install Watch OS 3 Beta 1 too. After restoring iOS9 on my phone, of course I couldn't pair the watch anymore ... so Beta 2 it is ! Hope it'll be more stable this time.

sarcastor

soooo is apple maps still a POS? Did they even fix anything? Cause i've send in numerous bugs and none of them have been updated.

SuperPac

I use and like it. Both of my map problem reports were fixed within a few days.

I use it and like it as well. Though they redid the roads in and around the Atlanta airport last year and they are incorrect in Apple Maps to a ridiculous extent. Loads of roads that don't exist anymore, and new roads that aren't charted. I filed an issue report - who knows when they'll be fixed. It has been a year. Maybe more.

I've reported a number of issues with Apple Maps and they usually get fixed within a couple of days. I get a notification about it on my Mac which is nice.

UI-wise, I like iOS 10 Apple Maps a lot more than Google Maps. It's only missing (and granted, this is a big thing to be missing) lane guidance, which Google Maps has.

As for the actual mapping data, i must say I've had no problems this past month and a half that I decided to give it a chance. Been in Miami, Mobile, New Orleans and Austin and haven't had a single instance of bad mapping.

It's too bad it still sucks overseas (though lately they have been adding a lot of missing roads near my home in Venezuela), otherwise I'd probably replace Google Maps on my homepage.

jts

...hate me...
Ha anyone tried the Apple TV 4 remote app? What do you need to do so? Be a registered developer? Does it require iOS 10 beta?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is 10 beta 2 alot more stable? Does it still crash the phone?

never had my phone crash, but I couldn't use facebook at all in beta 1. like, AT ALL. It would crash immediately probably 19 out of 20 times.

Currently the beta is stable, but Music is totally jacked up.

No ratings (stars)
No jumping to artist directly from Now Playing or album view
I haven't tested in Beta 2, but beta 1 would only show music videos in the album thumbnail, not full screen.
Play Next had odd behavior in Beta 1.. Where if I would play a playlist, then click the ... on another album/playlist and say "Play next" it would play it AFTER the current playlist/album. I guess that is what most people would want.. but IIRC that's not what iOS 9 does.

Ha anyone tried the Apple TV 4 remote app? What do you need to do so? Be a registered developer? Does it require iOS 10 beta?

The new Apple TV Remote app is supported on:
• iOS devices running iOS 9.3.2 or later
• Apple TV (4th generation), running tvOS 9.2.1 or later
• [NEW] Apple TV (3rd generation), running Apple TV Software 7.2.1
• [NEW] Apple TV (2nd generation), running Apple TV Software 6.2.1

No ratings (stars)

This was always eventually going to get axed after Hearts made their appearance.
The actual eliminations are always strangely prolonged though, like Dashboard on Macs.

No jumping to artist directly from Now Playing or album view

In the Beta 2 Dev notes they state they're aware of this error and it's not currently functioning as it should be.
I miss it, didn't realise how much I actually used it until now.

I haven't tested in Beta 2, but beta 1 would only show music videos in the album thumbnail, not full screen.

Videos are fullscreen again now!

Play Next had odd behavior in Beta 1.. Where if I would play a playlist, then click the ... on another album/playlist and say "Play next" it would play it AFTER the current playlist/album. I guess that is what most people would want.. but IIRC that's not what iOS 9 does.

This is a great change!
Previously in iOS9 if I wanted to queue up 2 albums I'd need to play a random, unrelated song, then choose Play Next on the album I wanted to play second, then Play Next on the album I wanted to play first, then skip the randomly selected track to start the first album.
Mess.
Now I just start the first album and Play Next on the second album which doesn't start playing until the first album is over. HUGE improvement.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They better sure as hell not take away ratings. Hearts are bullshit. They're only binary instead of granular. They never sync right for me at all and keep resetting. And all my playlists are based on them.

So if they're removing them from iOS they better keep them in macOS. It'd be like removing Labels. Stuff like this is too important for a lot of peoples workflows. I'd rather not have hearts at all than lose my stars.

It's fucking #FavStar all over again isn't it? 😆

giga

Hopefully they take away star ratings for good. Those were always complete bullshit, and everyone greatly prefers the far easier to use hearts.

Deku Tree

So if I am in the iOS9 and OS 10.11 beta programs then I still have to register again for the iOS10 and macOS Sierra beta programs? It looks like that is the case because I am not being offered any new downloads...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So if I am in the iOS9 and OS 10.11 beta programs then I still have to register again for the iOS10 and macOS Sierra beta programs? It looks like that is the case because I am not being offered any new downloads...

Can only speak for iOS, but yeah you simply need to delete and replace the iOS 9 beta profile with the iOS 10 one from beta.apple.com/profile and then check for an update.

LesPaul

A bit offtopic but:

I am thinking about buying an Apple TV. The last generation was announced in September. Would you think it is still worth buying the 4th gen or should I wait and See if they announce anorher one?

icespide

Banned
A bit offtopic but:

I am thinking about buying an Apple TV. The last generation was announced in September. Would you think it is still worth buying the 4th gen or should I wait and See if they announce anorher one?

Apple TV's aren't updated as frequently as other apple products, I'd say you're safe buying now, especially since there haven't really been any rumors about a new one recently

A bit offtopic but:

It's difficult to say. Apple is going all-in on wide color gamut/HDR, and UHD is mature enough that a new UHD AppleTV would make sense this fall.

On the other hand, they're likely not going to support UHD until the iTunes Store is able to support UHD/full of UHD content, so all the other stars aligning may mean nothing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really don't understand how to enroll properly into the Sierra beta. I was already on El Capitan and it showed me a Beta 5 for the latest version of that instead so I went to the URL beta.apple.com/profile and clicked the Redeem Code button and it opened App Store and said the software was downloading. Which it wasn't. And still isn't. Then I went to the URL on my iMac too and it says the code is already redeemed. So I unenrolled on my iMac and now I'm stuck on the previous El Capitan Beta 4 instead. I fucking don't get how to do it properly! The code is the same on both machines. But it shouldn't be. I don't get it. What am I doing wrong?

Of course the iOS Enrollment worked fine. But how do I get it to work on macOS? Edit: Note, I have not actually installed it yet. But I'm on the Beta channel for iOS 10 now so when I decide to pull the trigger, it'll be there. I don't even want to use iOS 10 yet. I really just want Sierra.

Hopefully they take away star ratings for good. Those were always complete bullshit, and everyone greatly prefers the far easier to use hearts.
How? How are the stars bullshit? How are the hearts better? They're not.

Treefrog

This is a great change!
Previously in iOS9 if I wanted to queue up 2 albums I'd need to play a random, unrelated song, then choose Play Next on the album I wanted to play second, then Play Next on the album I wanted to play first, then skip the randomly selected track to start the first album.
Mess.
Now I just start the first album and Play Next on the second album which doesn't start playing until the first album is over. HUGE improvement.

Isn't there an option in the menu to "Add to up next"? Would this solve your problem?

Ashhong

I never once used stars to rate a song, but that's just me. I use the heart more as a filter than an indicator. I made a smart playlist that organizes and hearted song of a certain genre into one. Perfect. I think Smart playlists are the best part of iTunes. Not sure if other companies do it as well.

Anyway is there a thread for iOS 10?

Did they remove quick reply from the notification?

Is the animated I message not working?

Oh and the drawing thing on imessage is so stupid.

jts

...hate me...
Can't say I wasn't tempted but I'll not fall in the trap this year. The payoff just isn't there.

In any case, nice to read others' impressions.

edit: wrong thread 💀

Isn't there an option in the menu to "Add to up next"? Would this solve your problem?

Works for single tracks but when trying to cue up a whole album it gets added next to the currently playing track when you select Add to Up Next. It acts exactly the same as Play Next. Bizarre.
Try it, start playing an album and try adding another whole album to play after it...

Works for single tracks but when trying to cue up a whole album it gets added next to the currently playing track when you select Add to Up Next. It acts exactly the same as Play Next. Bizarre.
Try it, start playing an album and try adding another whole album to play after it...

That's been happening since Apple Music came out a year ago, can't believe they haven't fixed it yet

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully it's not too ugly that I end up going back to light.

Should go well with the NeoGAF dark mode.

Personally I think "dark mode" should have been like a standard in all operating systems from the start that websites could tap into and change their CSS accordingly instead of having separate, or non-existent options for Dark Mode. I like that ArsTechnica has a dark mode and NeoGAF does, but not many sites do.

Just please add a couple more colors, and change the blue to look better with it though. (I don't think the current blue shade would look right with Dark Mode as it looks there. It'd need to be darker to not be distracting. However I use graphite.) There's no reason blue and graphite should be the only options. Aqua isn't a thing anymore. There's no water motif anymore. Let us choose colors! In the modern macOS it would be trivial to change the hue on the fly. Everything in the UI is PNG or PDF or otherwise vectorized images that could be colorized easily.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, why not, Siri? It's a pretty trivial thing to do! Set a timer. That's all. Show the time remaining in the Widgets sidebar. Show a notification when it's done. How can you not do such a simple task? Hopefully by the final version. I'm gonna submit it as feedback. It would be so useful for me as I'm always setting timers on my phone.

I think this is new? I always got them on my phone, but don't remember getting this specific one on my Mac as well.

RevoDS

Well, why not, Siri? It's a pretty trivial thing to do! Set a timer. That's all. Show the time remaining in the Widgets sidebar. Show a notification when it's done. How can you not do such a simple task? Hopefully by the final version. I'm gonna submit it as feedback. It would be so useful for me as I'm always setting timers on my phone.

I think this is new? I always got them on my phone, but don't remember getting this specific one on my Mac as well.

I'm positive I get those on my Mac on El Cap, but only when I set it on my Google account, not iCloud calendars for some reason.

Edit: Maybe the traffic check is new though.

jstripes

Banned

Ya, it seems like a simple thing to do, but there's an existing timer app on iOS, and there's no timer app for macOS.

They could probably have an intern write one in an afternoon.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ya, it seems like a simple thing to do, but there's an existing timer app on iOS, and there's no timer app for macOS.

They could probably have an intern write one in an afternoon.
There doesn't need to be an app. Actually there used to be a clock app in OS X but it was removed years ago. Either way a timer doesn't need an app. It could be a background process. No big deal. I just want timers in macOS. Put it as part of the clock widget. When a timer is running it could display the remaining time below your clocks. Then display a notification and play a tone when it's up. Such a trivial thing. Yes an intern could write one in a weekend. Hell they could write one in an hour. Maybe two. It doesn't need much of a user facing UI. Just modify the code for the clock widget and add a Siri command for it. She already knows it's a command. Just that it can't be done on macOS yet. Emphasis on yet. If not a stock app maybe a Dev could make one once Siri can be tapped into.

My kingdom for a Siri activated timer on macOS. Apple wants iOS and macOS to feel the same without being the same. So the more Siri commands both can do the better.

Out of curiosity since I don't own a copy, does Windows 10's Cortana have a timer command? What about Windows Phone? How about Android? I know the Google app doesn't do it. (At least not the Google app on iOS. All I got was search results for YouTube videos of countdown timers.)

Jeffrey

haven't been keeping up with ios 10 stuff, but how is it on ipad?

any notable features?

Also are all those 3d touch features (like clear all notifications) they demoed at the conference available on non3d touch devices?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thank goodness. My Documents iCloud sync finally finished and the Documents folder is usable again. Time to give this feature a test drive. I've quit DropBox because all I was using it for was syncing silly files between my two machines. I was going to spend $10 a month to upgrade to 1TB. But all I need is like 50GB, maybe 200GB, so iCloud's lower tiers are so much easier to swallow.

As long as it works. All I ask is syncing without problems. Sadly in the past iCloud has shown itself to be really unreliable. So I'll try it out for a few months. Crossing my fingers.

I just don't understand this weird graphical "glitch"?

uGBe1B3.png

Looks like the edges are getting cut off. It looks the same on a non-retina Mac too. So it's a sizing issue. Gonna submit it to Apple.

Top Bottom