• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Raw drops to lowest TV rating in 18 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madao

hdC9aQc.jpg

Stern Ritter "S"
The Superstar

ready to beat up some villains!

i thought of that Bleach character before i realized who the guy actually was

Make it two hours. Three is a lot to ask out of fans.

Bring back squash matches. Helps build talent.

Don't start every raw with a promo. Start with a match, backstage interview, something besides promo in ring.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lol what is this post? Rollins is the best guy they've got. For a large part of the audience, he's the only reason to watch lately.

Which audience? He's one of the worst promos in their roster. He's the same character with the same promo every week. He got less of a reaction than John Cena and New Day during the 6 man tag. The 'large part of the audience' doesn't care how athletic he is. They don't care about Rollins because he's the weakest character in a show that's supposed to be all about characters.

mreddie

Don't start every raw with a promo. Start with a match, backstage interview, something besides promo in ring.

Can't with USA. They like the ad money.

One of the worst paced, bloated and boring shows on television. It feels almost procedural compared to Raw in the late 90s and early 00s. They've completely lost sense of providing a compelling and interesting story and rarely have true cliffhangers. Why would anyone watch 3 soul sucking hours when they can spend 10 minutes right after the show airs and get the 'best' parts on YouTube?

It's depressing how relentlessly mediocre WWE is content to be for at least 10 months of the year and how it continually misjudges and insults its audience. They deserve to be floundering in the ratings. It goes beyond Monday Night Football and the way people consume television too.

RP912

Banned
You can do great stuff even with a PG rating.

Pretty much...

these dudes made the rating tolerable...

the_shield_x_reader_intro___believe_in_the_shield__by_halomindy-d6pliyh.jpg

danielbryan.jpg

e925bcadc66adf0387d6cc1278eb200e.jpg

I can't believe we still having this whole "PG era sux" argument, when the product was worth watching around the area because of tolerable booking and wrestlers that actually interact with the fanbase.

kunonabi

I love Pro wrestling but I just can't bring myself to watch raw anymore. It's just the same promos, from the same wrestlers, and the same matches again and again. It's a shame because there is some dynamite talent on the roster but they just don't use any of it well. We need more stuff like Lesnar F5ing EVERYTHING or Angle and his milk truck. Disruptive stuff to get out of their same old routine every week.

I'd much rather go through old ppvs on the network or watch the current stuff from NJPW.

Zombine

Banned
1)Create some more gimmick characters
2)Tease them for a while
3)Have them job a bit
4)Bury them
5)....
6)$9.99 profit

You can send my belt in the mail

BigDug13

The Attitude Era isn't as great as you remember it being.

It kinda is if you go from watching current content and then watch some 1998 episodes. I've done it and never really watched those Raws back in the day so there's no rose colored nostalgia here. The 1998 stuff is simply more entertaining in every way.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat

Back when I used to watch wrestling (about 15 years ago, fuck I feel old) three-hour RAWs were a rare thing and shit went down during those shows.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Well, at least Vince got to bury Sting before RAW died. The last "FU" stamp of the Monday Night Wars.

kirblar

'99 from Smackdown starting till Unforgiven '00 is an insane run.
Nobody wants to hear dick jokes, see bloody matches with no substance, and Russo induced storylines in 2015.
No one wants to watch 15-20 minute meaningless matches either.

There were always a billion storylines going on at once- something that doesn't happen today.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I love Pro wrestling but I just can't bring myself to watch raw anymore. It's just the same promos, from the same wrestlers, and the same matches again and again. It's a shame because there is some dynamite talent on the roster but they just don't use any of it well. We need more stuff like Lesnar F5ing EVERYTHING or Angle and his milk truck. Disruptive stuff to get out of their same old routine every week.

I'd much rather go through old ppvs on the network or watch the current stuff from NJPW.
This guy knows what's up

FragrantPointlessAmazondolphin-size_restricted.gif

kirblar

FIFY

Yes, it still had stupid shit around that period but not as bad as now.
Unforgiven '00 is where Steph's tenure as creative head starts. Chris Kreski was the guy who took over after Russo left and was absolutely absurd at the job.

Exactly...

Nobody wants to hear dick jokes, see bloody matches with no substance, and Russo induced storylines in 2015.
The AE is a lot more than Vince Russo. Go watch late '99-'01 when Chris Kreski was lead writer for the majority of that time. Actual storyboarded plots (gasp!), an extremely balanced card, feuds that went beyond titles, etc. It doesn't have much to do with blood or dick jokes.

It's not being "PG" or lack of blood. The storylines are either stupid, retreads or predictable.

They make a point of putting out a shit product, and instead of looking at why it's in decline just double down on it all.

Vince is a millionaire who should be a billionaire.

kirblar

"Fans want more wrestling" ,"Wrestling will get guys over all by itself" are hugely problematic smark ideas that the WWE unfortunately bought into some time ago.

RP912

Banned
The AE is a lot more than Vince Russo. Go watch late '99-'01 when Chris Kreski was lead writer for the majority of that time. Actual storyboarded plots (gasp!), an extremely balanced card, feuds that went beyond titles, etc. It doesn't have much to do with blood or dick jokes.

Ah 1999 and 2000. The Triple H/Stephanie era :/. I don't know whats worse...seeing the Authority cut long winded promos every Monday or living through that miserable time. The only highlight of that 99-01 was the midcarders going the extra mile. Guys like
Benoit
, Melenko, Eddie, and others made that era worthwhile....

bwahhhhh

fwiw, this was one of the overall peaks of Wrestling ratings:

1999-01-04 WWF 5.7 WCW 5.0

10.7 combined, almost 5 times this number

People are losing interest in WWE. TNA is on its way out (is Destination America still airing them?). No one knows what Lucha Underground is (is it coming back?). I don't want to be a pessimist, but I'm worried.

mreddie

Unforgiven '00 is where Steph's tenure as creative head starts. Chris Kreski was the guy who took over after Russo left and was absolutely absurd at the job.

Ok, after going back and seeing the matches around that period and listening to the Attiude Era podcast, you maybe right. Sans WM 2000.

Ah 1999 and 2000. The Triple H/Stephanie era :/. I don't know whats worse...seeing the Authority cut long winded promos every Monday or living through that miserable time. The only highlight of that 99-01 was the midcarders going the extra mile. Guys like
Benoit
, Melenko, Eddie, and others made that era worthwhile....
This is an extremely minority opinion of that time and certainly wasn't how the crowds or ratings felt about it. Triple H was perfect at doing what he needed to do: be absolutely loathed and then lay down for the hottest young talent in the world. You know, like wrestling has always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom