• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Raw Ratings: Viewership Hits Record Low

MisterR

I think more than anything, this proves how considerable wrestling has declined in viewership. There's more people with sets and cable than they did in '99. WCW was still hitting 4's in this year and MNF was huge, hitting in the mid teens. In 2000, Smackdown is on UPN/CW hitting high 4's and 5's every week, meanwhile Raw (hits 7's a handful of times that year) goes to TNN and still maintains those marks.

The percentage of viewership has drastically gone down and the fact they're nearing 2m viewers in fucking May is inexcusable. It's excuse after excuse. There is zero competition and they can buy out any wrestler, past or present, they want (until they run them out i.e. Batista and CM Punk) and yet there's these results.

This is true, but TV ratings have declined so much in general since that time. About the time wrestling was drawing these kinds of ratings ER was the top rated show on TV and over 30 million people watched it a week. The top show on TV now is about half of that.

Raw64life

Jinder = Ratings

Post PPV shows always have bumps

Give it a week.

http://rajah.com/node/56509

"-- Tuesday's Smackdown Live was up slightly in the viewership numbers, generating an average audience of 2.350 million compared to 2.328 million last week. "

zXryEJj.gif

Anth0ny

Holy shit...

At what point do they start really panicking?

As far as I know, they're legitimately brainwashed into thinking ratings mean nothing, everyone is down so these numbers are fine, it's the NBA playoffs/football season/*insert excuse here* so it's fine, we have people watching on youtube and have huge social media numbers so it's fine...

They're completely ignorant. Their programming certainly doesn't tell me that they care, at least.

yuraya

The low ratings is deserved. This past RAW was up there with the most boring and most awful event they've put together in recent years.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I really can't find any motivation to watch the weekly shows at this point. Honestly 2 PPVs a month is getting to be asking a bit much. Especially Raw. What is supposed to be the draw there? Hardys without their gimmick thats actually entertaining? Isn't Braun hurt too?

ElRenoRaven

ONE POINT SEVEN 5

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

jFQx19D.gif
jFQx19D.gif
jFQx19D.gif

Holyshit. Can't wait for the 1.0s that are headed their way if they keep this up. For the first time in over 20 years I didn't bother watching Raw or Smackdown this week. I don't feel sorry for that either. I simply just did not feel like it. From the write ups of it I didn't miss jack shit either. Just more of the same shit I've seen 100 times.

Anth0ny

Something else people should consider is this week's raw had a PROMOTED main event of Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins.

Those are their two biggest/hardest pushed babyfaces on Raw, if not the entire company. Basically the equivalent of John Cena vs. Randy Orton.

And it did a HORRIBLE third hour. What does that say about your biggest babyface stars at the moment? I struggle to think of a bigger matchup between two full time WWE wrestlers at the moment. Maybe AJ vs. Reigns? Orton vs. Reigns?

Syder

As bad as RAW was, Smackdown was worse
You missed the Alexa Bliss segment then...

The Dolph Ziggler Michael Jackson promo on Nakamura and the Alexa segment are currently tied for the worst segments of the year so far.

Since the 'Superstar Shake-up', Raw and SD have been equally bad which means Raw loses by default because it's an hour longer.

Something else people should consider is this week's raw had a PROMOTED main event of Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins.

Those are their two biggest/hardest pushed babyfaces on Raw, if not the entire company. Basically the equivalent of John Cena vs. Randy Orton.

And it did a HORRIBLE third hour. What does that say about your biggest babyface stars at the moment? I struggle to think of a bigger matchup between two full time WWE wrestlers at the moment. Maybe AJ vs. Reigns? Orton vs. Reigns?

WWe needs to youtube full matches. Raw is just too much goddamn talking.

Reigns vs Rollins was a great match, but the slog to get to it was unbearable.

FyreWulff

It goes to show nobody is a draw in WWE. WWE itself is the draw, and you just sink or swim along with it's waves.

Man, the WWE really needs competition to get it's ass into gear.

edit: also there's just too much damn wrestling to watch. 3 hours is insane. We know Vince hates it, but at this point the super long show is killing them.

Syder

Remember when they openly shat on the idea of the program going to 2 hours on that stupid 'Bring it to the Table' show they have but no one watches?

Meltz also is starting to take seriously the idea that Raw might not get renewed by USA (if their program head changes, the current one is a friend of Vince's so unlikely).

It's really getting to the point where it may not be logical for USA from a purely financial point of view.

Did he say which episode of Nitro it was? I would like to check it out.

Yep, it was the 11th of december '00 show.

As bad as RAW was, Smackdown was worse

No, the Bliss/Bailey segment is one of the worst segments in the history of wwf. It takes the whole show down with it.

I doubt they're panicking that much if their revenue is up. WWE has become a merchandise and licensing business over the years.

Without tv, their ability to sell merch and licensing goes way down.

Meltz also is starting to take seriously the idea that Raw might not get renewed by USA (if their program head changes, the current one is a friend of Vince's so unlikely).

It's really getting to the point where it may not be logical for USA from a purely financial point of view.

Raw back on Spike here we go.

yuraya

Whatever new tv deal they make in the future better not be one where you gotta wait too long for a RAW episode to get on the wwe network. At worst it needs to be on the network immediately after it airs.

If USA does not renew them, what happens? Do they go network exclusive programming?

They have to find another network to take them. Likely with a much smaller deal.
Whatever new tv deal they make in the future better not be one where you gotta wait too long for a RAW episode to get on the wwe network. At worst it needs to be on the network immediately after it airs.
With Raw ratings in the toilet why would a network give the WWE something to make live Raw even less attractive?

Isn't still the highest rated show on USA? Why wouldn't they renew?
The scenario would probably be USA not wanting to renew at the price the WWE wants, leading to the WWE shopping itself around. WWE's programming is far less valuable than when they signed their last batch of TV contracts.

Sephzilla

there's no way this is going to happen

WWE would ask for money that doesn't reflect the audience they bring in.

They're dropping very fast - 20% YoY, so that may not even be the case in 2019 - and the advertising money USA get from raw is far less then they get for the lower rated shows because the Raw audience is generally poorer.

yuraya

They have to find another network to take them. Likely with a much smaller deal.

With Raw ratings in the toilet why would a network give the WWE something to make live Raw even less attractive?

What choice would a network have? Cord cutting is only going to be a bigger thing in the future. If anything networks would start needing Vince a lot more than he would need them. I would assume he would eventually have all the bargaining chips.

Besides I'm not saying it should be live. But the way it is now with the long ass wait is unacceptable.

The length of Raw is a problem because it is such a time sink in my opinion but its not the main problem. The booking is the main problem and will continue to be the main problem until they decide to make an interesting product again. You can advertise Seth Rollins vs Roman Reigns as the Raw main event but if you do not give people a reason to watch the match why should they. WWE did the same match on June 20th 2016 for a chance at the WWE championship which was at that time held by Dean Ambrose. The same match in 2017 was a meaningless throwaway match that had no stakes to it whatsoever and those two guys are two of the top face wrestlers in the company.

Also isolating the cruiser-weights away from the rest of the rosters is dumb especially when both Finn Balor and Kalisto are still wrestling the rest of the roster. They should use those guys to fill out the mid card and tag team divsions and it would also provide the rosters of Raw and Smackdown with new matchups instead of having the same matchups constantly each week.

I love the whole "well they're making more money than ever so who cares" argument, neglecting that a huge chunk of that is money from USA. What are WWE gonna do in a couple of years when they renegotiate their contract? The Network isn't doing as well as they'd hoped either, they're fucked if they don't change course.

What choice would a network have? Cord cutting is only going to be a bigger thing in the future. If anything networks would start needing Vince a lot more than he would need them. I would assume he would eventually have all the bargaining chips.

Besides I'm not saying it should be live. But the way it is now with the long ass wait is unacceptable.

That was the argument behind the last WWE deal, that live entertainment was supposed to become even more valuable. It didn't work out as we see with awful trend of viewership. The network would have an easy choice, to refuse to give the WWE that option in any deal because who else is WWE going to get that from in a deal in a price range they want? Vince doesn't have all the bargaining chips when his programming is tanking and no longer worth the deal it was signed for.

The WWE absolutely needs their programming on TV, their whole business is built around it.

So 1.3-1.5 average when the NFL starts back up?

There is absolutely no reason to watch Raw anymore. LU and SD produces better content in one and two hours than Raw can do with 3. Hell, what's been the last "oh shit" Raw moment that got people's attention? HHH screwing Rollins and awarding KO the belt?

I mean, Raw is run like shit, I think Smackdown is run much better but they've kinda screwed it after the superstar swap, how the fuck can they give the main belt to Brock then have him not appear for what, 6 weeks? Its ridiculous.

They keep doing stupid things with the IC/US titles too, getting Ambrose/KO involved in the main belt matches etc, its simply a waste

At least the Hardy Boyz are back

Top Bottom