• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE's Daniel Bryan: Concussions are subjective/doesn't necessarily agree with doctors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not so much the headbutts but the fact that Daniel Bryan is one of their biggest stars of the last five years and him working elsewhere will provide a boost to whatever company it is.

And WWE is still in the 90s pretending to do war with WCW.

That said, I doubt Brie would ever allow Bryan to wrestle another match, so that's not happening either way.

As much as a Shawn Michaels level come back would be the greatest thing to ever happen to wrestling...it's best leave that to fantasy. He's doing fantastic work on Talking Smack and CWC. His broadcasting skills has been revelatory and I hope he finds peace in that....but MAN.

Anth0ny

Not the biggest pro wrestling fan, I have tremendous respect for the physical feats these guys do---250 lb guys falling on their knees and backs and doing stunts for thirty minutes---that's incredible. My question is, why can't he stay on as a persona and behind the scenes guy like Stone Cold or something? I saw him wrestle live once at summer slam and he really lit the staples center up.

that's what he's currently doing. he's the gm for smackdown, like austin was doing after he was forced to retire.

thing is, bryan can't accept that he's done. he loves wrestling too much. being an on screen character doesn't scratch the same itch as actually wrestling, I suppose.

KingBroly

Banned
All because of the current lawsuit right?

Plus, is WWE really that scared of D. Bry going Noob Saibot?

I'd think Benoit scares them more. They don't want a repeat of that.

I get that Bryan loves wrestling, and he hates that he can't wrestle again. Hell, he's probably trying to stay in shape so he can wrestle again. But as Bret Hart said, he's done. He went through the same thing. He didn't know it at the time, but he knows now.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Anyone read his book and go "wait, what" when he said him and Brie having kids was genetically irresponsible.

He seems like a nice guy but I question his credentials.

And you know some Indy fed would book a last man standing match with him and Angle consisting solely of head butts.

It's sort of concerning how close he's tied to the business right now. Seeing WWE get all of this talent from other promotions that wouldn't even be considered years ago. The roster is like a who's who of wrestling and he can't even get in the ring to do anything other than talk into a microphone. It must be hell for him, and I don't see how he does it.

When he gave his retirement speech on Raw a couple months back, the people in the crowd booing when he said he wouldn't medically be able to wrestle anymore creeped me out.

Do you want to watch the guy die in the ring? Or find out that he went Benoit on whichever Bella twin he's married to?

Let it go Bryan.

XenoRaven

hwat is with people these days rejecting science and substituting their own reality?
He's not. He's saying he's been to a bunch of different doctors and some of them have told him he's OK, while others have said he isn't. He's been away from the job he loves for awhile now and he wants to come back and is trying to rationalize that it's OK for him to do so. It's not, but it's not as simple as "he's rejecting science".

He's not. He's saying he's been to a bunch of different doctors and some of them have told him he's OK, while others have said he isn't. He's been away from the job he loves for awhile now and he wants to come back and is trying to rationalize that it's OK for him to do so. It's not, but it's not as simple as "he's rejecting science".
He's finding the answers he wants and doesn't think there's anything wrong with him.

HeySeuss

There is a certain level of subjectivity to those test though, so I can't fault him for his frustration. CTE is still new and not fully understood yet so it's better to err on the side of caution, but we can't deny that there is no hard fast rule on a magical number of concussions will lead to the disease. One person may develop symptoms after 3-5 concussions where someone else might have had 20 and be perfectly fine.

There isn't a way to diagnose it yet for people that are alive and the testing is about 5 years away. So for him to say there is subjectivity isn't wrong.

I think the problem comes from what is "okay"? That's the major issue with concussions and athletes in general and where a lot of the disconnect comes from. It's not like a bum knee or torn shoulder. Guys who have had concussions can feel perfectly fine, and Bryan probably does, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been significant damage to his brain that absolutely can get worse. Unless those doctors who cleared him are denying that he has actually had concussions (which I doubt), then I think the responsible thing probably is to keep him away from wrestling, even if it's not what he wants to hear.

Anth0ny

I think the problem comes from what is "okay"? That's the major issue with concussions and athletes in general and where a lot of the disconnect comes from. It's not like a bum knee or torn shoulder. Guys who have had concussions can feel perfectly fine, and Bryan probably does, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been significant damage to his brain that absolutely can get worse. Unless those doctors who cleared him are denying that he has actually had concussions (which I doubt), then I think the responsible thing probably is to keep him away from wrestling, even if it's not what he wants to hear.

i feel like the bolded probably applies to 90% of the wwe roster

the body was not made to take bumps 300 days a year in simulated combat

It's sort of concerning how close he's tied to the business right now. Seeing WWE get all of this talent from other promotions that wouldn't even be considered years ago. The roster is like a who's who of wrestling and he can't even get in the ring to do anything other than talk into a microphone. It must be hell for him, and I don't see how he does it.

I think the good thing with this is at least he's pulling in a good paycheck from WWE. It'd be a lot worse if he weren't signed to WWE, and some other promotion with less scruples for head injuries would pick him up and he'd continue wrestling with severe concussions for another 10 years.

The role he's in now pays him and kind of saves him from himself if he didn't have that role.

XenoRaven

He's finding the answers he wants and doesn't think there's anything wrong with him.
Right. I'm just saying that I don't think he's "rejecting science". I think he wants to believe the doctors that cleared him as opposed to the ones who didn't. If every doctor he went to told him his brain was messed up, I doubt he'd be talking about subjectivity.

I would imagine that he would vow to change his style to change his style or whatever, which he wouldn't actually do, since he already said he would change his style last time he came back and didn't.

Tagyhag

I understand his reasoning, but it's still too dangerous.

He shouldn't wrestle but I wouldn't mind seeing him do some running knee strikes out of nowhere. He's still Daniel Bryan.

kirblar

WWE benched him for his own protection. This interview is a big example of why-given the opportunity, he just doesn't protect himself. He was doing that stupid headbutt for years when everyone knew what happened w other guys who did it.

Dude is bring used as a obvious sacrificial lamb so WWE can pretend like they care about brain damage while they are fighting a lawsuit. That must really sting knowing you are probably in better condition then 95% of the roster but cant go for reasons that would also write off a large chunk of current workers.

But still..... Get out man. Don't turn into Kurt Angle. You had enough warning signs. Dont keep going until you have a stroke or something

He knows the business and can make a life for himself outside of the ring. I hope he finds peace in that instead of risking his life and future.

Love you too much to see you do this to yourself, DB/BD.

ReiGun

It has to be even harder for him, because he left as he was just hitting the high point of his career.

I really hope he has a good support system to help him through. With him being back in WWE, surrounded by all the talent and such, it might prove even harder for him to stay out of the ring. Would hate to see him try getting back in and seeing something happen to such a nice guy.

Brinbe

I can see what he's saying and I don't think it's as troubling as people think. It's not really denial as much as it being the lack of proper consensus. Other places had cleared him and some haven't. He's stilled sided with those who told him he shouldn't wrestle, even if he doesn't totally agree with it.

I think the danger comes from his reluctance to change his style up, like Austin was saying. Bryan can go at 50%, include less suicide dives and other higher risk moves, prolong his career and still be completely over and loved. It's not a disservice to his fans, it's necessary.

Pizoxuat

Bryan can object and say he feels fine, but before they found lesions on his brain they knew something was wrong because he'd lost feeling in his arm and sometimes couldn't control it. They had some pretty serious evidence that he was never going to be cleared to wrestle again, which is why they rode his ass hard about medical clearance. No one wants him to die in the ring, or for his brain go bad and him end up destroying others and himself.

ReiGun

I'm surprised he's even an employee of the company with remarks like this.

I'm not. With him employed by them, they can make sure he stays out of the ring.

Even if he were to go wrestle somewhere else, if something were to happen with him, you can bet WWE's name would be brought up. He's way too big of a star with them at this point.

It's a win-win for WWE. They get the boost in rating from having him around, and get to keep him from wrestling and leaving them with PR nightmare if shit goes south.

Bryan can object and say he feels fine, but before they found lesions on his brain they knew something was wrong because he'd lost feeling in his arm and sometimes couldn't control it. They had some pretty serious evidence that he was never going to be cleared to wrestle again, which is why they rode his ass hard about medical clearance. No one wants him to die in the ring, or for his brain go bad and him end up destroying others and himself.

Bryan has nerve damage from a pinch nerve. Its the same kind of thing that happened to Peyton Manning where he lost arm strength. As for the concussions situation the WWE are kinda so so on that policy. They forced Christian and Bryan to retire because of concussions but still let guys like the Dudleys or Tommy Dreamer wrestle for the company fully knowing they could possibly have issues. If the WWE are gonna be serious about concussions then they have to be consistent on the way the treat their employees but that's not gonna happen.

Indelible

I really wish Bryan toned down and modified his wrestling style after his last return, he was already one of the most over guys in the company yet he still did head and neck bumps. He would have probably still retired early but who knows how long it could have prolonged his career.

I really wish Bryan toned down and modified his wrestling style after his last return, he was already one of the most over guys in the company yet he still did head and neck bumps. He would have probably still retired early but who knows how long it could have prolonged his career.

20865%20-%20autoplay_gif%20daniel_bryan%20dolph_ziggler%20gif%20headbutt%20wrestlemania%20wwe.gif

And this was AFTER his return.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He's an anti-vaxxer. Of course he's...ugh. This is just ridiculous.

The dream is dead, Danny.

Sheentak

Moment Bryan is let go his going t wrestle on the indies.

Terry funk still wrestles and in his 80s and does death matches. Indies don't care

Savitar

When it comes to health and well being Bryan isn't exactly the one to go too, he has numerous beliefs that are.....not wise by a long shot and despite EVERYONE telling him he couldn't wrestle anymore without endangering his life he basically had been to be forced into retiring and it took him time to accept that.

When it comes to health and well being Bryan isn't exactly the one to go too, he has numerous beliefs that are.....not wise by a long shot and despite EVERYONE telling him he couldn't wrestle anymore without endangering his life he basically had been to be forced into retiring and it took him time to accept that.

He's had doctors that told him he's fine. The test that forced him into retirement is not peer reviewed, and they didn't even complete the test. Meltzer spoke on this and it's all very interesting since he's a player in the story as well.

The bottom line is: it's probably the right move for him to retire, but there's enough to question that will drive Bryan crazy. If you've listened to guys like Austin or Edge, it's taken them years to get over not being able to wrestle, and they both cut themselves off from it completely for awhile. Bryan is right in the epicenter of it all while going through this depression.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I was listening to some podcasts with dudes like edge and stone cold and some other guys who had to retire because of injury and they all said it took them years to come to terms with not being able to wrestle and that it was incredibly difficult to readjust. I imagine Bryan is still in the middle of that readjustment and is just fiending to be back on the ring to the point he is willing to lie to himself.

Edit: ha just saw the post above me mentioned edge and stone cold too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom