• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Com: Enemy Unknown Ironman Challenge [On Again For 2012]

McNum

Chapter 21: Friendship is Mind Control
September 1st to Yesterday

Heard at Twilight Base.
"Gentlemen, you have all been handpicked for this job due to your Psionic prowess. Do your planet proud.

The public records have no files on September. Officially, we said it's because we don't have the mission debriefings compiled yet, and all UFO reports must be confirmed, but that's not really the truth... UFO sightings are immediately confirmed via Hyperwave, and debriefings go by fairly quickly. No, what the truth really is, is that we didn't want to tip ouur hand to the aliens. We're planning something. Big.

On the first of September, the fourteen most powerful psychics we have were assembled at Twilight Base, and assigned to Avenger-1. They are Earth's first and only psionic strike team.
geoscape_079.png

But that is not our goal, that is our tool. But I'll get to our goal soon, you've been very patient as I've deliberately stalled you by going through what has already been released to the public. Yes, I said deliberately stalled you.

What we have been doing since September 3rd is this: Remember Alien Base-2? The one Brazil built when they turned to the aliens? The one full of Mutons? Well, we've been hitting that base, hard!
geoscape_020.png

For you see, when the month began, the Twilight Team was a team of psychics, but if they were to fight Etherals in open mind combat, they'd get destroyed. Mutons, on the other hand, are genetically designed to be mind-slaves. They have little to no mental defenses, and as such... make for useful psionic targets. We've hit Alien Base-2 5-10 times per day, each time singling out a Muton, then mentally assaulting it until it was merely a broken shell of itself, the shot it and left it to bleed to death as the team went home for a few hours to rest, before coming back to repeat the process all over again.

Why? To get used to using psionics against living targets. Good against lab equipment is one thing, but good against the living? That's something else.

Mini Tutorial: Psionics! Woo!

When you get Psi Labs and Psi-Amps, you can make psionic soldiers. Any soldier with their Psi Strength visible can use a Psi-Amp, but only a few are truly great with them. But let me demonstrate what a Psi-Amp can do:

Select the Psi-Amp, like you would a weapon, and a menu pops up. Panic Unit, Mind Control, and Throw. We'll leave Throw alone and focus on the good stuff.

Panic Unit is a direct damage attack on the enemy's Morale. The more Bravery a unit has, the less damage it takes, but no matter who you are, repeated Panic unit attacks will tank your Morale.
tactical_009.png
tactical_010.png
tactical_011.png

Mind Control is the one you'll want, though. It lets you control the unit, as if it was your own, for one turn. You can use it to scout, fight other enemies, or like I do, disarm it by selecting Throw, and then marching it up to get mentally abused. But be creative, it's not like you care if that unit dies, is it?
tactical_001.png
tactical_003.png
tactical_005.png
tactical_004.png

That covers the basics of Psionics, I have a few creative ideas I'll put in the notes.

If they were human, this would inhumane, but they were Mutons. We kept hitting them several times a day for nearly a week. Until finally, the Psi-Lab boys confirmed that the team had reached their maximum potential.

And then the final pieces of the puzzle arrived: Two Hovertank/Launchers with ammunition. With that, the strike team was complete, and ready for the mission they were assembled for.
geoscape_078.png
geoscape_080.png

And this brings us up to today... And the burning questions you've been holding back for so long: "Why did X-Com go public?"

Notes: Psionics is well and truly THE gamebreaker of X-Com. I hope this shows why. This is why I let that Muton Base live, they make for awesome Psi targets as they have the lowest resistance by far of any alien. Perfect for newbie psions to try out their new skills on.

The idea behind this is simple, by using enough Psionics to hit 10 points (a miss is 1 point, a hit is 3) in any one mission will give you a 2-6 point increase in Psi Skill. You do not have to win the mission to get this. With a Muton Base right there, the only limit to how fast this can be done is how fast I can get the Avenger refueled. I could, most likely hit that base 10 times in a day for a 20-60 point boost as the Avenger was ready to go every two ingame hours. But 4-7 times is more realistic, as there are other UFOs to manage, and stuff to build, supply issues, you know. All the "not kicking alien butt" parts of the game.

Here, take a look at CappyFish's stats over this exercise as an example:
CappyFish.gif

All of the 14 progressed like that. In seven in-game days. With this, it takes a close range Sectoid Commander or an Etheral Leader or higher to even have a shot at it now. Mars has both, but I have backup plans.

If you want to know all the nitty gritty details about Psionics, I really recommend you read up on it on the Ufopedia. Just know this:
Defense against Psi is your Psi Strength + your Psi Skill divided by 5 + the number of tiles between you and the attacker.
Offense with Psi is your Psi Strength * your Psi Skill divided by 50.
There's a formula to check these against each other, as it has random variables. But high Psi Skill is much more important if you're on the offense. Belgorim's 91 strength is worth 29 points at 16 Skill and 183 points at 101 Skill. Belgorim can take on Etheral Commanders and win mentally at that level.

Also, I promised a few creative shots of Mind Control. Here you go!

Boomerang Blaster Launch:
tactical_076.png

Blaster... what?
tactical_084.png
tactical_085.png

Yeah, it got a little boring farming Mutons for Psi Skill, so I amused myself whenever I caught one with Blaster Bombs.

But I can say only three more words before the next chapter, and those words are: "CYODONIA OR BUST!"

I would appreciate if someone who has beaten Cydonia checked out my loadout, though. Just in case.

Chapter 21: Friendship is Mind Control
September 1st to Yesterday

Here, take a look at CappyFish's stats over this exercise as an example:
CappyFish.gif

All of the 14 progressed like that. In seven in-game days. With this, it takes a close range Sectoid Commander or an Etheral Leader or higher to even have a shot at it now. Mars has both, but I have backup plans.

Best GIF ever!
Also super informative, as always. Can't wait to see those xenos go down for good!

dondarm

Banned
Hey McNum here's another tip for psionics, in case you didn't know already:
If you have an alien mind-controlled you can access his inventory by going into one of your mercs inventory and scroll through your soldiers till you reach the alien. It's kinda an exploit but if you don't mind powerlevelling this one shouldn't be too bad either.

McNum

Hey McNum here's another tip for psionics, in case you didn't know already:
If you have an alien mind-controlled you can access his inventory by going into one of your mercs inventory and scroll through your soldiers till you reach the alien. It's kinda an exploit but if you don't mind powerlevelling this one shouldn't be too bad either.
I know, but the alien didn't have anything useful on it. Besides, it's not "pic-worthy" as all you get is a picture of a guy in overalls as there are no alien art to use for this. So, I know, I may or may not use it, but I won't show it because it's ugly.

Also, the last chapters might be a bit more wordy than the previous ones. The first part is definitely going to be, just finished the intro text for it... I have a metastory to finish, after all.

McNum

Final Chapter - Part 1: Red Knights and Blue Skies
7 hours ago to now

This chapter has background music. Click here for X-Com: Final Briefing - PlayStation version

Full transcript of X-Com press statement, September 8th 1999, 12:00 Zulu:
"Today we are ready to reveal the biggest news in human history: We are not alone in the universe, but unfortunately they are hostile. Therefore, on January 1st 1999, 'The Extraterrestrial Combat unit' or 'X-Com' was founded to counter and combat this alien menace.

The aliens have been fighting a shadow war against Earth for more than 8 months, and we, on behalf of the founding nations of X-Com, have had complete global jurisdiction over any and all UFO encounters and conflict. The fight has not been easy, and lives have been lost, civilian, local military, and X-Com forces alike. But we have held out. The aliens think they can just come here and take on humanity with superior technology? Well they are wrong! X-Com has managed to counter and out-develop all the technology used against Earth. And this technology we are willing to share.

But I stand here before you today, to tell you the truth, and to ask all of Earth to stand united against this alien menace. This message has become urgent as some nations, including Brazil, have or are in the process of signing pacts with the alien invaders. We cannot allow any more nations to fall to the aliens, and, as someone once told me, information is sometimes the greatest weapon in the arsenal, and today we are sharing ours.

All of you attending this press conference will be issued a press kit documenting the first eight months of our organization. What we did, what cities got invaded, how many UFOs we shot out of the sky, and day-to-day life of X-Com. There is a lot to digest, so I will let you get to it. My press officers will be available to answer any questions you have about the declassified material.

But remember, you CANNOT trust any friendly advances from these invaders. This is do or die for humanity!"

You asked me why back then. Why do this? Why cause panic and disturbance all across the world? Why try to rally the nations of the world, full well knowing that we at X-Com are the only ones capable of defending the Earth?

Because I play dirty, and I have a plan.

This press conference was not really intended for the people of Earth. It was a call to arms, with flowery rhetoric, broadcast on an unencrypted channel. Who do you think it was really for? It was for the aliens. We call it Operation Blue Sky.

As I said, I have a plan. By announcing to the aliens our intentions to unite all the world's military against them, and publicly shaming Brazil, their one ally on Earth, I let the aliens know that if they want Earth, they have to strike NOW or lose the chance. One hour after the speech, the skies of the Earth were completely devoid of any UFO activity, exactly as predicted. They regrouped, and a massive fleet of UFOs, some 50-60 ships, most of them medium to large ships, is headed for Earth as we speak. They will arrive tomorrow. But tomorrow, will be too late!

For you see, there are a few deliberate omissions in the press kit. We know more about the aliens than we shared.

For one, they are local. None of their ships have any kind of faster-than-light engines. We know this, because we've observed them scout out areas and then decide whether to follow up or not based on those results.
geoscape_041.png

We can do better than that, though. We let one go, and using a decryption key we got from one of their leaders, we followed its signal as it left Earth until we lost track of it... in Mars' atmosphere. The aliens are martians.
geoscape_154.png

But it doesn't end here. We captured one of their top Commanders during the raid on Alien Base-1. And it was from it that we learned where on Mars the alien stronghold is located. Cydonia. You may know it as the location of Mars' famous "face" structure. Well, it is right there the aliens live. And furthermore, we learned something very interesting. The aliens have a hive mind. And at the center of it, is a "brain". An organism broadcasting massive psionic projections out to every alien Commander who then performs those orders exactly as the brain commanded. We tested out what would happen if we mentally shielded the enemy Commander so it would no longer receive the orders... The Commander died within five minutes. The aliens need this psionic signal to live.
geoscape_049.png

Now, you might think, what good does that do us? It's on Mars! Well, yes, which brings me to our final ace in the hole. The Avenger. The fastest thing we have, capable of catching any UFO in Earth's atmosphere. And out of it. The Avenger series of craft are space-worthy, and they're extremely fast in vacuum.
geoscape_040.png

I'll spare you the technical details, and give you an example instead.

Hyperwave! Get me Captain Rhomega on the line, I need an ETA.

Capt. Rhomega: This is Red Knight reporting. ETA is 10 minutes.
Hyperwave: Copy that Red Knight, the Commander wishes you good luck.

One hour after the press conference, from Twilight Base, hidden in Central America, Avenger-1 was launched. That is six hours ago. In just ten minutes, it will touch down at Cydonia on Mars. And THAT is the purpose of the Psionic Strike Team. The Red Knights.
geoscape_000.png
geoscape_001.png

You asked for an exclusive, didn't you? Well, miss Cherry Lee, how's this? In ten minutes, you get to either see fourteen men save the world, or if mankind will be doomed!

Well, time to get started. The video feeds are coming up.
geoscape_002.png
tactical_000.png

To be continued...

Notes: Very text heavy this one... If you have any last second tips about the Cydonia mission, now's the time. I'll finish this off tomorrow. Also, a wonderful little cynicism of X-Com: If you quit the game during the final mission, it's Game Over. You can't exit to main menu without it. It really is "Do or die!"

McNum

Final Chapter - Part 2: Red Knights of Mars

This chapter has background music. Click here for X-Com: Last Mission - PlayStation version

Do we have all the video feeds up? Good, let's get them all up on the screen. I want to see everything.

Capt. Rhomega: Before we touch down, let's go over the plan one final time. Somehwere in the area there is an entrance to the underground base. We need to find it, and we need to move fast. We'll send the drone tanks out as usual, but be ready for anything. We're on their home turf now. Safeties off, and switch on your Psi-Amps! It's time!
tactical_000.png

They going with what worked before. The tank is ultimately useful, but expendable.
tactical_001.png

And under fire.

Sqaddie archnemesis: I see the shooter. I got him.
tactical_003.png

Sqaddie archnemesis: There we go, now let's see what you know... There's a Commander in that pyramid over there!
tactical_006.png

Sqaddie Boogalogist: Got it, trying to Mind Control it... You're a tough one, aren't you?
tactical_008.png
tactical_009.png

Sqaddie Boogalogist: Not tough enough. Got the Commander! And I know where the entrance is now!
tactical_010.png
tactical_014.png

That's what I like to hear. Didn't even leave the Avenger yet, and they have the situation under control. I'll admit I was worried if they could keep up with the enemy's psionic skills, but so far, so good.

Capt. Rhomega: The door isn't wide enough for tanks. But we know what to do about that.
tactical_017.png
tactical_018.png
tactical_022.png

Capt. Rhomega: Still not enough room. One more!
tactical_024.png
tactical_025.png
tactical_029.png

Capt. Rhomega: There we go, a tank sized hole in the wall.
tactical_030.png

Capt. Rhomega: Toss out some Flares, then move towards the entrance.
tactical_032.png
tactical_033.png

Oh, the tank has spotted a pair of Sectoids trying to sneak up on them. But that won't happen.
tactical_035.png

Sqaddie Boogalogist: Enemies under the Avenger. I got one of them.
tactical_037.png

Sqaddie Mattdaddy: And I've got the other one. I'll have mine shoot yours and then walk into the open. Someone take care of that?
tactical_040.png
tactical_044.png
tactical_046.png

Capt. PKrockin: I'll get the little bastard.
tactical_049.png

And there we have the words of the first man to set foot on Mars!

Not as poetic as I had hoped, but straight to the point.

Squaddie Belgorim: There's one more here. Let me just... got him. And he's not alone. inky? You want one?
tactical_053.png
tactical_056.png

Squaddie inky: Don't mind if I do!
tactical_058.png

I really hope that wasn't an intentional pun...

Squaddie inky: Oh, it's a leader, doesn't know anything new. I'll just march it right out into the open and...
tactical_060.png

Squadde Tempy: Boom. Headshot.
tactical_064.png

They're getting a bit too cocky. Efficient, but cocky.

Capt. Rhomega: Alright, focus. Get to the entrance, and watch for more enemies. And send the Tank up to deal with that commander we mind controlled in the pyramid.
tactical_068.png
tactical_070.png
tactical_072.png

Good call, the enemy shouldn't be allowed to use psi against of if we can prevent it. Now let's hope it goes smoothly from here on.

Squaddie Belgorim: Cyberdisk! I'm going to try mind controlling it.
tactical_081.png

He's... what? It's a machine, it has no mind. He has a Blaster Launcher, why isn't he-

Squaddie Belgorim: Got it!
tactical_082.png

I stand corrected.

(Note: Mind Controlling the mindless. Robots and machines, like Cyberdisks, are in a blatant violation of common sense, not invincible to psionics. They just have a really, REALLY high resistance. But Belgorim here is sporting a 183 point offensive Psi. Enough to overpower anything.)

Squaddie Belgorim: Now let's try moving it... Oh!
tactical_083.png
tactical_085.png

Squaddie Belgorim: It shot itself... how did...? Well, problem solved! Moving on.
tactical_086.png

(Note: Amusing bug. Since you aren't really supposed to do that, you only control a quarter of the Cyberdisk. So if you order it to move, the other three quarters see an enemy moving and reaction fire at it, destroying itself.)

Capt. Rhomega: Okay, good job. Let's keep moving. We're almost there.
tactical_092.png
tactical_103.png

Squaddie Belgorim: Argh! I'm hit!
tactical_107.png
tactical_109.png

Capt. Rhomega: Can you walk? You just need to get in here and...

Squaddie Belgorim: Yeah, I'm okay. Hurts like hell, though.
tactical_112.png

Squaddie Tempy: Let me take a look at that. A few burns, but the suit sealed up pretty fast. I'll just apply this medi-kit and... done! Good to go!
tactical_115.png
tactical_118.png

Capt. Rhomega: Alright. Good job. I'm activating the lift. Stay sharp, we're going into the lion's den now.
tactical_123.png

I'll admit it, I didn't think it would go that easily on Mars. Not complaining, mind you, not complaining at all. But now, the real final battle begins.
geoscape_000.png

To be continued...

Notes: Cydonia! I got a bit lucky with the elevator placement, but this is pretty much how to do Cydonia part one. Also this is a very unique X-Com mission as it is the only "Move to location" mission in the entire game. You CAN win it by killing all aliens, but your ammo carries over, so why waste it when you can sneak out?

Also, of note. No reloads were made during this mission. I may not have ironman'd the entire game, but Mars? Yeah, I am.

Final Chapter - Part 1: Red Knights and Blue Skies
7 hours ago to now

This chapter has background music. Click here for X-Com: Final Briefing - PlayStation version

Full transcript of X-Com press statement, September 8th 1999, 12:00 Zulu:
"Today we are ready to reveal the biggest news in human history: We are not alone in the universe, but unfortunately they are hostile. Therefore, on January 1st 1999, 'The Extraterrestrial Combat unit' or 'X-Com' was founded to counter and combat this alien menace.

The aliens have been fighting a shadow war against Earth for more than 8 months, and we, on behalf of the founding nations of X-Com, have had complete global jurisdiction over any and all UFO encounters and conflict. The fight has not been easy, and lives have been lost, civilian, local military, and X-Com forces alike. But we have held out. The aliens think they can just come here and take on humanity with superior technology? Well they are wrong! X-Com has managed to counter and out-develop all the technology used against Earth. And this technology we are willing to share.

But I stand here before you today, to tell you the truth, and to ask all of Earth to stand united against this alien menace. This message has become urgent as some nations, including Brazil, have or are in the process of signing pacts with the alien invaders. We cannot allow any more nations to fall to the aliens, and, as someone once told me, information is sometimes the greatest weapon in the arsenal, and today we are sharing ours.

All of you attending this press conference will be issued a press kit documenting the first eight months of our organization. What we did, what cities got invaded, how many UFOs we shot out of the sky, and day-to-day life of X-Com. There is a lot to digest, so I will let you get to it. My press officers will be available to answer any questions you have about the declassified material.

But remember, you CANNOT trust any friendly advances from these invaders. This is do or die for humanity!"

You asked me why back then. Why do this? Why cause panic and disturbance all across the world? Why try to rally the nations of the world, full well knowing that we at X-Com are the only ones capable of defending the Earth?

Because I play dirty, and I have a plan.

This press conference was not really intended for the people of Earth. It was a call to arms, with flowery rhetoric, broadcast on an unencrypted channel. Who do you think it was really for? It was for the aliens. We call it Operation Blue Sky.

As I said, I have a plan. By announcing to the aliens our intentions to unite all the world's military against them, and publicly shaming Brazil, their one ally on Earth, I let the aliens know that if they want Earth, they have to strike NOW or lose the chance. One hour after the speech, the skies of the Earth were completely devoid of any UFO activity, exactly as predicted. They regrouped, and a massive fleet of UFOs, some 50-60 ships, most of them medium to large ships, is headed for Earth as we speak. They will arrive tomorrow. But tomorrow, will be too late!

For you see, there are a few deliberate omissions in the press kit. We know more about the aliens than we shared.

For one, they are local. None of their ships have any kind of faster-than-light engines. We know this, because we've observed them scout out areas and then decide whether to follow up or not based on those results.
geoscape_041.png

We can do better than that, though. We let one go, and using a decryption key we got from one of their leaders, we followed its signal as it left Earth until we lost track of it... in Mars' atmosphere. The aliens are martians.
geoscape_154.png

But it doesn't end here. We captured one of their top Commanders during the raid on Alien Base-1. And it was from it that we learned where on Mars the alien stronghold is located. Cydonia. You may know it as the location of Mars' famous "face" structure. Well, it is right there the aliens live. And furthermore, we learned something very interesting. The aliens have a hive mind. And at the center of it, is a "brain". An organism broadcasting massive psionic projections out to every alien Commander who then performs those orders exactly as the brain commanded. We tested out what would happen if we mentally shielded the enemy Commander so it would no longer receive the orders... The Commander died within five minutes. The aliens need this psionic signal to live.
geoscape_049.png

Now, you might think, what good does that do us? It's on Mars! Well, yes, which brings me to our final ace in the hole. The Avenger. The fastest thing we have, capable of catching any UFO in Earth's atmosphere. And out of it. The Avenger series of craft are space-worthy, and they're extremely fast in vacuum.
geoscape_040.png

I'll spare you the technical details, and give you an example instead.

Hyperwave! Get me Captain Rhomega on the line, I need an ETA.

Capt. Rhomega: This is Red Knight reporting. ETA is 10 minutes.
Hyperwave: Copy that Red Knight, the Commander wishes you good luck.

One hour after the press conference, from Twilight Base, hidden in Central America, Avenger-1 was launched. That is six hours ago. In just ten minutes, it will touch down at Cydonia on Mars. And THAT is the purpose of the Psionic Strike Team. The Red Knights.
geoscape_000.png
geoscape_001.png

You asked for an exclusive, didn't you? Well, miss Cherry Lee, how's this? In ten minutes, you get to either see fourteen men save the world, or if mankind will be doomed!

Well, time to get started. The video feeds are coming up.
geoscape_002.png
tactical_000.png

This was an epic post.

Blu10

I played this game for years... years, and I never it made it to Mars. This might be the most epic thing I have ever read. Now if the same thing works on TFTD I will die a happy man.

McNum

I played this game for years... years, and I never it made it to Mars. This might be the most epic thing I have ever read. Now if the same thing works on TFTD I will die a happy man.
I'm not going to do Terror From the Deep. I just don't like that game. I prefer space aliens to fight over Lovecraftian horrors from the sea. Apocalypse... I might join in when that thread starts, even if the organic technology parts of it are... eh. I want my zappy guns!

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, I'll have the final chapter up soon.

And, yeah, I'm the same. I have tried to win X-Com so many, many times, yet always ended up in unwinnable situations or an endless grind to keep up with the aliens without ever really getting ahead. This time, I got to Mars!

I'll try to have a rookie's guide or similar to help anyone wanting to beat the game up some time next week, as well. When the story ends, I still have a few things to share, like bloopers, and behind the scenes things I did that might not be apparent. I have one epic blooper in the final mission, though.

Blu10

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, I'll have the final chapter up soon.

And, yeah, I'm the same. I have tried to win X-Com so many, many times, yet always ended up in unwinnable situations or an endless grind to keep up with the aliens without ever really getting ahead. This time, I got to Mars!

I'll try to have a rookie's guide or similar to help anyone wanting to beat the game up some time next week, as well. When the story ends, I still have a few things to share, like bloopers, and behind the scenes things I did that might not be apparent. I have one epic blooper in the final mission, though.

Personally I can't wait... outside of maybe WoW, SF, or Worms... nah not even them...well maybe worms. There is no other other game that I have spent more time with.

Seriously, Thank you for this.... even if it is not me playing

I've played TFTD more than Enemy Unknown. TFTD is definitely much harder. Those terror site on a ship are really awful. Tight spaces with tons of rooms to search for the aliens!

Weapons that don't work on land....(there's an exploit that let's you fire on overwatch though)

Call me a sucker for punishment, but somehow...I enjoyed TFTD more. LOL.

Great posts McNum. Nice to see I'm finally of use in the game!

McNum

Final Chapter - Part 3: Vs. Alien Brain

This chapter has background music. Click here for Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver: Vs. Frontier Brain

So this is it. Somewhere down in that hole is the alien brain. I'll admit, I'm a little... worried. We really have no clue what the alien brain is capable of or what's guarding it. Well, time we found out.

Capt. Rhomega: What do you mean there's two entrances? And how did you all end over there?
tactical_125.png

Squaddie Belgorim: I have no idea, but there's something here... A psionic... noise. Like static on the radio.
tactical_127.png

Capt. Rhomega: Keep it together, we need to finish this. Send out the tanks as usual. Scout it out. PKrockin, relay any intel from the tanks.
tactical_126.png

Squaddie Boogalogist: I see an enemy. Etheral. Ooh, I wanted to match minds with one of those!
tactical_129.png
tactical_130.png

Squaddie Boogalogist: Ha! Got ya! You're my little pet now...
tactical_131.png

Squaddie Haunted: Sorry, Boog, your pet is evil, have to put it down.
tactical_136.png

Capt. Rhomega: Okay, get serious you two. Remember why we're here.

Squaddie inky: AAH!

Capt. Rhomega: INKY! What's wrong?

Squaddie inky: I... I see it. I know where the alien brain is... Let me lead you there.
DarkBrain.gif

(Note: Scouting the dark. So, here near the end, I'll show a little dirty underhanded trick. The unexplored areas of the game aren't blank, it's just the normal textures painted black. Bit of a dirty hack, but this means you can move your cursor around and see structures. You can't see enemies, they're hidden unless you have line of sight, but you can use this to find UFOs, locate specific rooms, know the layout of a building before you enter and so on. And you can see the pulsating alien brain as that is a structure, not a unit, in this game. And yes, I just wrote that into the story for fun.)

Capt. Rhomega: Okay, you heard inky. I want a squad to escort inky, and the tanks to cover the perimeter.
tactical_140.png

Now that's lucky. I hope inky will be alright, but right now, I can't afford to care about anything but the mission.

Sergeant CappyFish: We're passing over a weird... garden of sorts. Do the aliens eat that stuff? No signs of any-
tactical_141.png

Capt. PKrocking: CHRYSSALID! Hovertank 3 has spotted a Chryssalid!
tactical_145.png

Aw, hell. We know what these things can do, this was the last thing we needed here.

Squaddie inky: I can handle it... Mind Control!
tactical_147.png
tactical_148.png

Squaddie inky: Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew! These things are NASTY! ...so where do you want it?
tactical_149.png

Capt. PKrockin: Nice, just make it walk away. These things are fast, see if you can find anything with it.

Squaddie inky: I found one of those lava things. Did we ever name those?

Squaddie Haunted: Not that I know of... but i'm going to make it go away.
tactical_152.png

They're named Silacoids, but I don't blame them for not remembering. We haven't seen a lot of these on Earth. Think we killed one at Vanguard Base once.

Capt. PKrockin: Hovertank 1 has reached the area inky indicated, no hostiles on this level, but there are two man-sized gravity lifts.
tactical_157.png

Capt. PKrockin: Wait, enemy spotted. One of those lava things. And it's dead. Moving the tank out of the way.
tactical_159.png
tactical_160.png

Capt. PKrockin: Hovertank 3 is targeting the Chryssalid. Firing!
tactical_162.png
tactical_164.png

Capt. PKrocking: Direct hit! But the Chryssalid is still standing.
tactical_165.png

Squaddie Boogalogist: I'll get it.
tactical_167.png
tactical_168.png

Squaddie Boogalogist: Yuck, you weren't kidding inky. They are disgusting!

Capt. PKrockin: Hovertank 2 reports firing solution on a Chryssalid. That the same one as yours?
tactical_169.png

Squaddie Boogalogist: No, don't think it is. There are two of them now?
tactical_171.png
tactical_172.png

Capt. PKrockin: No. Not anymore. Target destroyed.

Sergeant CappyFish: We're at the doors to the brain room. We're breaching in three, two...
tactical_176.png

Sergeant CappyFish: Etheral with a Blaster Launcher! Taking the shot!
tactical_177.png
tactical_178.png

Squaddie inky: WAIT! I got it, I got it!
tactical_179.png
tactical_180.png
tactical_181.png

Squaddie inky: Now let's see what's up there...
tactical_182.png

Squaddie inky: Brain spotted! Brain spotted! My Etheral has a Blaster Launcher, do I proceed?
tactical_183.png

Hyperwave! I want human eyes on the brain, repeat human eyes on the brain before killing it!

Hyperwave: This Command to inky, do not take the shot. Command wants visual conformation of target.

Squaddie inky: Aww... Well, everyone? Let's make these guys fight each other, then. Let's see whose Etheral wins!

I probably should be more worried that they're going to make a game out of that, but really... They are using the alien elite, their most powerful psychic warriors as puppets. How can I be mad at that?

Squaddie Belgorim: Take that!
tactical_205.png

Squaddie archnemesis: Nice, now watch this. Two for one!
tactical_206.png
tactical_207.png

Squaddie inky: Hey, you killed mine!
tactical_210.png

Squaddie archnemesis: And then it tosses away its gun and the room is cleared.
tactical_212.png

Sergeant CappFish: Understood. Adnor, you're with me. We end this.
tactical_213.png

Sergeant Adnor: Right on! I shoot the last Etheral and you take the brain?

Sergeant Adnor: So this is the best of the best they have? And we just made them toys. Farewell once worthy foe.
tactical_217.png
tactical_218.png

Sergeant CappyFish: Didn't know you were so sentimental. Command? I have visual on alien brain, am I clear to take the shot?
tactical_219.png

Yes. Yes he is. Hyperwave, tell him to make it look good. We have press here, after all.

Hyperwave: You are clear to take the shot. Command says to make it look good.

CappyFish: Hey brain? Watch this! It's totally gonna blow your mind!
tactical_220.png

Ugh... can't believe he said that.

geoscape_001.png

geoscape_002.png

geoscape_003.png

geoscape_004.png

geoscape_005.png

THE END!

Notes: Woohoo! Take that mean old game I could never win! I. Beat. YOU!

Thank you to everyone who read and enjoyed this (and also if you just thought it was so-so) and especially thank you to everyone who lent me their names.

I'll write some more comprehensive notes about the whole thing later, but for now: Earth for Earthlings! Death to Martians!

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this,McNum. Thanks for taking the time to type it all up. It really deserves a greater readership than it'll get on a message board; have you considered shopping it to some other sites?

McNum

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through this,McNum. Thanks for taking the time to type it all up. It really deserves a greater readership than it'll get on a message board; have you considered shopping it to some other sites?
Not really, no. This was pretty much a GAF event. Using GAF names and perhaps hamming it up a bit for the audience here.

Besides, I've been using my free Dropbox account to host all these images, so if this were to go big, I'd either have to buy a Dropbox account or rehost somewhere else. I am planning to do a table of contents post once I'm all done with the few extras I've planned, to give the story in a single post view in order, but that's about as far as I've thought.

Besides, I like writing. That's perhaps the big thing I've learned from all of this, apart from how to win at X-Com.

Also, I think I can share one funny little secret about this whole thing now. Pretty much from day one, the entire purpose of doing this, was to deliver that pun. What pun? The music choice for the final chapter, of course!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
And now for a "where are they now" montage for the X-Com soldiers. Last time I heard, CappyFish has become the spokesman for several breakfast cereals. The taste will blow your mind!

inky

Fuck yes! I was born for this shit.

geoscape_027.png

Just the mentality that got me a National Championship for GAF-U back on Earth :p

[...]As I said, I have a plan. By announcing to the aliens our intentions to unite all the world's military against them, and publicly shaming Brazil, their one ally on Earth, I let the aliens know that if they want Earth, they have to strike NOW or lose the chance. One hour after the speech, the skies of the Earth were completely devoid of any UFO activity, exactly as predicted. They regrouped, and a massive fleet of UFOs, some 50-60 ships, most of them medium to large ships, is headed for Earth as we speak. They will arrive tomorrow. But tomorrow, will be too late![...]

This was a great post man!

Squaddie Belgorim: There's one more here. Let me just... got him. And he's not alone. inky? You want one?
Squaddie inky: Don't mind if I do!

tactical_058.png

I really hope that wasn't an intentional pun...

Sounds like me alright, hehehe.

Final Chapter - Part 3: Vs. Alien Brain
Squaddie inky: AAH!
Capt. Rhomega: INKY! What's wrong?
Squaddie inky: I... I see it. I know where the alien brain is... Let me lead you there.
DarkBrain.gif

Oh shit, oh shit!

Capt. Rhomega: Okay, you heard inky. I want a squad to escort inky, and the tanks to cover the perimeter.

Now that's lucky. I hope inky will be alright, but right now, I can't afford to care about anything but the mission.

Squaddie inky: I can handle it... Mind Control!
tactical_147.png
tactical_148.png

Squaddie inky: Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew! These things are NASTY! ...so where do you want it?
Capt. PKrockin: Nice, just make it walk away. These things are fast, see if you can find anything with it.
Squaddie inky: I found one of those lava things. Did we ever name those?
Squaddie Haunted: Not that I know of... but i'm going to make it go away.

Like a...

Squaddie inky: WAIT! I got it, I got it!
tactical_179.png
tactical_180.png
tactical_181.png

Squaddie inky: Now let's see what's up there...
tactical_182.png

Squaddie inky: Brain spotted! Brain spotted! My Etheral has a Blaster Launcher, do I proceed?
tactical_183.png

Hyperwave! I want human eyes on the brain, repeat human eyes on the brain before killing it!
Hyperwave: This Command to inky, do not take the shot. Command wants visual conformation of target.
Squaddie inky: Aww... Well, everyone? Let's make these guys fight each other, then. Let's see whose Etheral wins!

I probably should be more worried that they're going to make a game out of that, but really... They are using the alien elite, their most powerful psychic warriors as puppets. How can I be mad at that?

BOSS!

CappyFish: Hey brain? Watch this! It's totally gonna blow your mind!
tactical_220.png

Ugh... can't believe he said that.

geoscape_001.png

geoscape_002.png

geoscape_003.png

geoscape_004.png

geoscape_005.png

THE END!

Wow, that was fucking awesome. I never saw past a few missions in this game and seeing it all the way through with narrative and commentary has been great. McNum, seriously thanks for this, it has been a great read. *salutes*

Great writeup, McNum - entertaining from start to finish and well written to boot. Too bad I wasn't psychically cut out for the final mission, but I'm happy I got to serve (and, more importantly, survive).

McNum

Sounds like me alright, hehehe.

Great! I was actually a little worried that I might have written the inky character a bit too childish and carefree, so I'm glad you like it. Being a psychic badass does outweigh it even if you didn't I imagine.

I just needed a few easy to remember character archetypes for the last missions, and that became yours.

Wow, that was fucking awesome. I never saw past a few missions in this game and seeing it all the way through with narrative and commentary has been great. McNum, seriously thanks for this, it has been a great read. *salutes*

I'm beginning to realize that this seems like a common thing among a lot of my readers. "I never completed the game, but..." I guess I wasn't the only one with X-Com on my "Games I really wanted to beat, but never did." list. And now this crazy person, who never completed the game either, made a Let's Play-ish thing about it. And won.

And it was crazy, really. X-Com is one the well known games with a "Fuck you!" difficulty level, even on Beginner. And I'm sharing this playthrough with the world? I mean, I had never seen a Blaster Bomb in action before, and the only experience with psionics I had was being on the unpleasant side of Mind Control.

Well, I'm not completely done yet, I did promise a few extras, just need to get them thought out straight in my head first. I think I'll start off with my thoughts on the game as a whole, then a quick guide, and finally bloopers and things that went wrong. Plus a few useless stats because I like numbers.

Really great write up there, McNum. I was thoroughly entertained. Eventhough I have completed both Enemy Unknown and Terror From The Deep, I have had always wanted to play it again! But the lack of time is always stopping me from replaying the game.

However, all is not lost....I direct you guys to this thread.....NEW X-Com!! Looks soooo good!! They even have a built in Ironman mode!!

Looks my playthrough of the old X-Com will be replaced by this new remake. Looks REALLY good so far!

p/s Nice to see I played a big part in the final Cydonia assault! Where's the bloopers? :p

McNum

Extra #1: McNum Muses about X-Com
(Because after beating the game on Beginner... once, he is totally an expert.)

And i apologize if I begin to ramble or repeat myself. This pretty much just what comes to mind.

So, X-Com, or as my version is called "UFO: Enemy Unknown". What is there to say about this old hard as nails game?

Quite a bit, actually. Now I'm not going to review it, as that's way too late for that, and a lot of things about the game were really good for the time, but has long been surpassed now. Like the UI. Yet there is something about X-Com that makes it a classic, even today. I mean, if there wasn't, why would it be interesting to read about someone else beating an old game?

The Story in X-Com
You could say a lot about narrative in game, and oh boy has there been said a LOT, but after completing X-Com, finally, I'm beginning to think that this is one of those games that pulls it off really well, yet without big set-pieces, cutscenes or even main characters, like you would expect in a modern game with a strong story. No, it's just: "Aliens are invading, so X-Com was formed to fight them. You're the Commander, place your first base. And... GO!" And from then on, you're left to your own devices. Does X-com discover the secret behind the aliens and confront them on Mars, or is Earth doomed as the aliens manage to subvert the nations of the world, or simply defeat X-Com in battle?

Now this might sound a bit obvious, but consider this: X-Com stories and Let's Plays usually work really well. Why? Because the story is what the player makes of it. Sure, you need to hit the right nodes to make it to Mars, but the hows and whys on how you get there are completely up to you. There are no pre-made levels, not even Mars, and every single mission that starts is one YOU chose to take. Sure, the UFO appeared on its own, and you shot it down quite nicely, but that recovery mission where you just lost four of your starting troops? You did that. The choice was yours. And that means that every single game of X-Com has its own unique story. The setting and endgame is the same, but how you get there? All up to you.

In X-Com, there's no difference between gameplay and story. The gameplay IS the story. And that is why it works so well for Let's Plays.

Empowerment
Compare the first couple of battles I did with the frankly disgusting power I wielded on Mars. From a desperate fight against kind of weak aliens, to making puppets out of the toughest aliens you'll meet. I can only think of one game that shares this same level of power-up: Metroid. From weakling to screw-attacking queen of Zebes. X-Com does it similarly.

- First you're desperate against Sectoids and Floaters, then you get the Laser Rifle and the fight becomes even.
- Then you get armor and the Sectoids become kind of easy. Cue Snakemen and Chryssalids.
- You start using Heavy Plasmas and get flying armor, making Chryssalids an even fight again. Cue Mutons who can take a Heavy Plasma shot and keep standing.
- You learn to focus fire on them, making that an even fight. Cue Etherals and heavy use of enemy Psionics.
- You learn to use Psi yourself and finally you have the advantage.

And somewhere along the line you meet an enemy with a Blaster Launcher, who usually kills half your "Hey, this is going pretty good." team in a base assault or Battleship.

But at the end, you're nearly invincible. Not enough to allow you to get sloppy, but good enough to turn the last fight into a Pokémon battle. "Etheral Commander! I choose you! Use Blaster Launcher!"

Gameplay
X-Com is an open world strategy game.

I finally got what the genre for X-Com should be called. Open world strategy. I mean, the first image you get after pressing Start a New Game is the Earth. All of it. That's yours to defend. Place your base anywhere you want on land. The game then sends two freebie UFOs over the base to show you how they work, but from then on, you're on your own. Find enemy UFOs, blast them out of the sky (or don't) raid them or not. Defend your base against retaliatory strikes, destroy the enemy bases, capture aliens. You can do all of that, but the game never forces you to. Well, except for the base defense. What you get is a game where you save the world through turn based battles, but what battles you have to fight? That's your problem.

It is also your problem to make sure that you have enough equipment for your troops and to research new technology that will help them in combat. You don't unlock the Mammoth Tank in the second to last chapter, if you want the big guns, you research it and you make it. Then you get to use it. Basically, you got your 4X game in your turn based strategy game. And it pretty much just works.

Now is perhaps the time to add that this game is from 1994. Just wanted to point that out. Because X-Com is one of the most ambitious games I've played. I'm not sure if it's a happy accident that it all meshes so well, or if it's on purpose. But the game actually pulls off both being a 4X-lite and a TBS without it ever seeming unnatural. That's just how things are. And frankly, to me, THIS is the core of X-Com.

Conclusion? Confusion?
Now, I'll just ask a question, and I honestly don't know the answer to it, but... Apart from X-Com clones and sequels, can you think of any game that manages to mix 4X with a combat strategy game with the focus being on the latter?

I can think of one, but only one, and I'd almost call it a JX-Com. I am, of course, talking about Valkyria Chronicles, but it lacks the open world.

Anyway, this is just my thoughts, not sure if they make sense to anyone else, but I wanted to share. Also, if I got this right, then Firaxis might possibly be the only company I can think of who could pull off XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Because if you want the top-of-the-line 4X developers, you get the Civilization guys.

Next Extra is what my game plan was, and how to actually win at X-Com, and then finally, the silly bits and bloopers.

McNum

I'm about to play X-COM for the first time.

Prepare me.
You're gonna lose.

Okay... that's not preparing you. Let me try again.

In X-Com, you will be constantly losing until you win. That's just how the game is. All you can do is lose less until you beat the aliens.

The very first thing you do, is place your first base. You have two options here: Europe or America. I prefer Europe, but either will do. That's because you want to protect the guys paying you first. The US pays the most, but all the European states add up to more.

Learn how the UI works, how to move, how to shoot, and how to buy/sell things and so on. It's a big game, spend the first day poking everything. Also, build an Alien Containment at your first base, and put in an order for Stun Rods.

Okay, now when you fight the first aliens, you'll lose guys. Unless you're really good, you'll lose guys as you have wimpy Earth weapons and no armor. Deaths happen, take it on the chin. Smoke Grenades are awesome.

In research you want laser weapons. Then Laser Pistol. The Laser Rifle. Build Laser Rifles, one for each soldier you have. You're now not losing as much. After that... well, look at what I did, it's at least a proof of concept.

When you get Stun Rods and the Alien Containment facility, the fun begins. You're going to walk right up to a heavily armed alien and poke it with a stick. Results are predictable, bring body bags and replaceable rookies. But you really, REALLY, want to nab an alien Navigator. Researching one gives you the ultimate radar.

I think that should be enough to get you running. Remember, unless you're Ironmanning the game, it's no shame to save often, and use all ten save slots.

This reminds me, I did promise to post a beginner's guide to X-Com, didn't I? Well, maybe I will expand on this a bit later.

Unicorn

Yeah, the UI is confusing as balls in combat.

I'm really not liking the TU's (which thankfully the new game won't have. Just seems to over complicate things when I'm not in the know of what distances will affect my TUs etc.) Also, It seems like a slow trod with so many troops to command (14?).

I mean, there's a lot of things that are still really cool today, but some aspects haven't aged well with what expectations are held today. I want to get in and out, or at least feel like I'm constantly making choices. Either the maps are too big or it is just too early on to make this call, but there's a lot of turns where it's just getting the troops out of the ship and moving what seems like 20 feet away.

McNum

Yeah, TUs can be tricky to get at first. Moving a square is 4 TUs, so is kneeling and standing, I think, and turning 45 degrees is 1 TU. And try to kneel when possible, you're a smaller target that way. Plus it looks cooler.

A handy little tool to remember is the three red and one green buttons near the bottom. This is for conserving TUs for reaction fire. You'll get a feel for it later, but try using that in the beginning. Reaction fire will be very useful throughout the game. If you don't use it, the aliens will be happy to demonstrate why you should.

Oh, I forgot something in my previous post. NEVER let a Terror Mission expire. Show up, even if it means showing up and hitting Abort on turn 1. If you ignore a Terror Mission, it's -1000 points. Have too big a negative score twice in a row? X-Com is disbanded. So go to the Terror Missions.

PKrockin

Yeah, TUs can be tricky to get at first. Moving a square is 4 TUs, so is kneeling and standing, I think, and turning 45 degrees is 1 TU.
Standing up is 10 TU. Moving diagonally is 6 TU. It takes one or two extra TU to move through tall grass and the like.

Buy electroflares. They are essential for night missions.

Wrayfield

Yeah, TUs can be tricky to get at first. Moving a square is 4 TUs, so is kneeling and standing, I think, and turning 45 degrees is 1 TU. And try to kneel when possible, you're a smaller target that way. Plus it looks cooler.

Kneeling/standing without turning should be 2. Also kneeling should increase your accurance, afaik.

Standing up is 10 TU. Moving diagonally is 6 TU. It takes one or two extra TU to move through tall grass and the like.

Buy electroflares. They are essential for night missions.

Standing 10, really? Thought to remember it was just as many as long as you used the button to stand/knee only. Might remember it wrong.

PKrockin

Kneeling/standing without turning should be 2. Also kneeling should increase your accurance, afaik.

Standing 10, really? Thought to remember it was just as many as long as you used the button to stand/knee only. Might remember it wrong.
Kneeling is definitely 4. Standing, on second thought, is probably 8. It's definitely either 8 or 10.

That's correct. Kneeling is 4 TU , standing is 8 TU. Turning is 1 TU per 45°. (source)

If possible, I suggest you completely avoid doing any night missions. You usually have enough time to wait for the dawn.

Unicorn

Wow. Currently doing my first Terror Mission. Some serious shit is going down outside of town at the gas station.

Two of my men have blown the place apart with their rocket launchers, taking a cybedisc with it. They are reporting distance shots and screams from humans. Morale slinks further with each cry for help. The silence; absoultely nothing, not even cricket chirps. Another scream. The 3 Sarges present are doing their best to keep composure.

I'll have to finish this up tomorrow.

PKrockin

Wow. Currently doing my first Terror Mission. Some serious shit is going down outside of town at the gas station.

Two of my men have blown the place apart with their rocket launchers, taking a cybedisc with it. They are reporting distance shots and screams from humans. Morale slinks further with each cry for help. The silence; absoultely nothing, not even cricket chirps. Another scream. The 3 Sarges present are doing their best to keep composure.

Lol. Good choice. Civilian lives be damned, any first terror mission that doesn't wind up with your entire squad dead is a good first terror mission. Although there is a certain risk with using rocket launchers on Sectoid terroe missions...

McNum

Ouch, Sectoid Terror Mission. Those can be nasty if the Sectiod Leader starts doing his thing.

On the positive side, if you have Stun Rods, you can catch him and make his thing your thing, basically winning the game early. Let me just say it plainly: No cost is too great to get a Sectoid Leader in January.

Top Bottom