• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 and PS4 - What We Know (so far)

Hip Hop

Is this like PS3 where it had a slight advantage, but not so overly noticeable unless it was an exclusive compared to the 360.....or is this a big a difference between the PS4 and X1?

As far as I know, that's everything we know up to now. Did I miss anything? If I made any errors, let me know and I'll edit. I haven't been following it as closely as many here, so there may be updated info I wasn't aware of.

Great summary. We still don't know how much memory is reserved for the OS on PS4 though. The only rumor we ever got was 512MB.

Is this like PS3 where it had a slight advantage, but not so overly noticeable unless it was an exclusive compared to the 360.....or is this a big a difference between the PS4 and X1?

PS3 had a tech advantage but was hard to work with to actually be able to.utilize the advantage. The PS4 architecture is said to be much easier to dev for, so in theory we could see a significant difference in visual s or performance from 3rd party games after a while and from 1st party games even sooner.

CREMSteve

When was this (besides Move) confirmed?

Shuhei Yoshida confirmed it without confirming it. Kind of pulled a Microsoft on that one. :p

"No, [the PlayStation 4] doesn't support DualShock 3 but it does support PS Move," Yoshida said.

Asked if that policy extends to other Bluetooth-enabled PS3 peripherals like the Sony wireless headset, a PlayStation publicist cut in saying, "I don't think we're addressing additional peripheral support at this time."

Yoshida quickly added, "That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/21/4014170/ps4-dualshock-3-controller-support

farisr

OP is Misleading the actual answer to what we know so far is NOTHING! Sony has not said anything about their policy or on online or used games Only a controller! Ms has not address the same thing only a console and trailers. until we see the games at e3 running on hardware and people playing them and we get answers Im not putting stock in any of them. The idea that ms wont have games and sony wont have media stuff is just fantasy.

Well I now know is that I don't need to get into a discussion with you. You clearly don't read posts properly before responding and are on super MS defense mode even when there is nothing that needs to be defended in the topic at hand.

Infusion

Banned

no point in that interview did he confirm it the guy asking question assumed it because it was 3 op systems. The tech talk with major nelson and the guys who designed the system made no mention of that at all. if anything they said x1 bandwidth was 200gb/s that was it not mention of 3gigs for os. the os is using something called hyper V.
http://majornelson.com/cast/2013/05/22/xbox-one-architecture-panel/

CREMSteve

Can you add Wii U information just for fun? I want to see how badly it's outmatched power wise.

yEF48gt.png

Infusion

Banned
Well I now know is that I don't need to get into a discussion with you. You clearly don't read posts properly before responding and are on super MS defense mode even when there is nothing that needs to be defended in the topic at hand.

My post had nothing to do with MS at all clearly you cant read I said i had no investment in any of these systems till i know the facts of both which up till now there is none just empty promises. If that upsets you that I'm not on a fanboy bandwagon too bad sry i like to know what im buying and not based on others people opinions or thought process.

Minions

OP is Misleading the actual answer to what we know so far is NOTHING! Sony has not said anything about their policy or on online or used games Only a controller! Ms has not address the same thing only a console and trailers. until we see the games at e3 running on hardware and people playing them and we get answers Im not putting stock in any of them. The idea that ms wont have games and sony wont have media stuff is just fantasy.

Did you actually read the op? or just assumed?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

much bigger:

the ps3 had a worse ram solution than the 360. 512 unified for the 360 vs 256mb gpu only memory and 256mb for gpu/cpu.

i believe the gpus were comparable.

ps3 and a processor advantage but it was hard to utilize.

the systems were launched a year apart.

shandy706

- Change channels and watch TV through the console (only in USA)

This is incorrect. A few EU services are already on board (sky...and some others).

I don't remember which ones exactly though. It was in a thread.

farisr

Did you actually read the op? or just assumed?

Didn't read, assumed, and then accuses others of not reading his post. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up banned sometime soon (not saying his posts are banworthy now, just think his posts are impulsive and impulsive posters usually end up making bannable posts).

GSWbhpz.jpg

Edit: Updated source provided this:
mw897ul.jpg

I like this!

I was wishing for a big difference from the get go.

This will be the best gen so far, with a huge gap between consoles its going to be fun to see all those fanboys fight. Hopefully nobody supports Microsofts anti consumerism.

farisr

Read my link again please. Or I'll just make it clearer for you in a sec.

Your Edge link, the original story:

“We have partnerships with Sky, with Canal+ in France, and we’ll continue to grow our international expansion,” he told us. “We’ll put a worldwide face on the platform because Europe, in particular, is especially important to us this generation.”

“We want the world to watch television through this box,” he added.

My link, original story:

"We have partnerships with Sky, with Canal+ in France, and we'll continue to grow our international expansion," he told Edge.

"We'll put a worldwide face on the platform because Europe, in particular, is especially important to us this generation."

He added: "We want the world to watch television through this box."

My link, UPDATED story:

Updated story: A Sky partnership with Xbox One has yet to be confirmed.

A Microsoft spokesperson told Digital Spy that the international partnerships discussed by Phil Spencer were used as examples only, and are not yet confirmed.

"We have not yet announced any deals with Sky and Canal+ regarding content for Xbox One; they were given as examples along with the BBC for content partnerships on 360 that we would be looking to replicate and expand on for One," they said.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
nhlducks35 found this in the cloud thread:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMQTTQG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon.com Description of Forza 5 said:
Forza Motorsport 5 from Turn 10 Studios is the latest edition of the highest-rated racing franchise of the past 10 years. Built from the ground up to take advantage of Xbox One and the infinite power of the cloud, no game better delivers the sensation of being behind the wheel. “Forza Motorsport 5” sets a new bar for racing games and will be available exclusively for Xbox One at launch.

They are seriously gonna advertise cloud power. Bwahaha

mhayze

Does anyone happen to know or have link back to where the ESRAM throughput number comes from? I assume part of the advantage is a much lower latency figure, but I'm wondering where the ESRAM bandwidth number comes from (clock speed * bus-width of cache? AMD-published APU specs? Microsoft released #s?)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
66% apparently so from my understanding imagine that the PS3 was more powerful then it already is then take all the advantages the 360 has & give them to PS3.
Then give the "not as easy to code for" disadvantage to 360, slower ram & less of it for actually games and then you generally got the picture.

I know this is a joke, but I don't remember them saying anything to that effect during the presentation. Where did this start?

Someone on another forum was adamant about it, I just found it funny and have been making fun of anyone thinking that for a while now.

Who is the girl in the avatar?

Carol Seleme

And you think that Gaikai, which can stream ALL the data for a game, couldn't do the same? Don't buy the MS line.

lulz.

tranciful

"- Compatible with previous gen peripherals including headsets, keyboards and PS Move (not compatible with Dual Shock 3)"

Any word on racing wheels? DFGT (what I currently have), G25/G27, etc?

tranciful

much bigger:

the ps3 had a worse ram solution than the 360. 512 unified for the 360 vs 256mb gpu only memory and 256mb for gpu/cpu.

i believe the gpus were comparable.

ps3 and a processor advantage but it was hard to utilize.

the systems were launched a year apart.

wasn't 360's GPU a lot stronger than RSX? Cell more than made up for it in certain exclusives, but that difficulty is partly why 3rd party games were usually better on 360

Top Bottom