• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Retail Version of Battlefield 4 Will Still Run at 720p, 60 FPS, EA Rep confirms

Newlove

People saying it not good enough need to realise what the hardware is capable of and how demanding a game like BF4 is with 64 players, medium to high graphics and 60fps. That takes a lot of horsepower. It isn't laziness.

I definitely see your point of view but I'm not certain it's in EA's best interest because most of their games are cross platform. And regardless of which console has a larger install base at the beginning, XB1 will still sell well, and having great looking games on both consoles will likely make them more money than having great looking games on one console. Again I could be wrong.

Can we all agree on one thing? It is better for us, the consumers, if the XB1 and PS4 both succeed. I definitely want them both to succeed!

Being a mostly online, FPS gamer, I am more confident in XB Live than PSN, and I don't want to wait a year to play Titanfall.That is why I chose XB1. But that could change later.

There aren't many cross shoppers so I don't even know why one version looking better than another would matter. You are either getting a PS4 or XB1. If you only have one of them then the decision is to buy BF4 on your console of choice or not buy it at all. I don't think any reasonable consumer would not buy it just because their version looks a little worse.

khanthony

Banned
how can the X1 & PS4 not be running games in 1080p & at 60fps from the get-go ?

i just cannot understand with the specs & tech inside them why they are struggling, it could be the developers maybe & not the hardware, but they cannot be having problems can they ?

The PS4 and XB1 hardware (currently based on the paper specs they released) isn't high end tech compared to PCs. There's no "real" surprise that neither can run 1080p at 60FPS. I can barely run BF3 at maxed out graphics and 1080p on my gaming rig :), that is, with high AA settings and shadows lol.

But consoles are different from PCs because you can optimize and get "closer" to the hardware to make your game more efficient. That takes time though. It's likely we'll see BF5 being more graphically intense and optimized.

B_Boss

I know what your saying and I agree to an extent, but we really weren't far away from 480p sometimes this gen, for instance BLOPS on PS3 was 544p, that's far closer to 480p than 720p.

I Just hope they use the all of the hardware to the est of their abilities, that's all I ask.

I've expressed this like a broken record...it is seriously all I want as far as Nextgen development is concerned. Honestly there is no point of speaking of the uniqueness of each platform if Devs aren't going to use them to their fullest extent possible for the sake of political 'parity'.

Seriously the kind of BS being pushed around.

Xbone DRM? Look at Steam

Xbone underpowered? Look at Apple

smh.

I'm not exactly sure what side you are taking(serious) and this kind of a general response.

Apple underpowered? iOS devices aren't and computers from other companies of the same class have similar specs.

DRM? Steam is one platform among many choices for people who play PC games.

Phades

Fuck you MS, EA and DICE, PC version it is then.
I don't get this sentiment at all (which has repeated more than once in the thread by the time this post rolled around).

If you want to extend the finger to the developer, why buy the title at all?

I don't get this sentiment at all (which has repeated more than once in the thread by the time this post rolled around).

If you want to extend the finger to the developer, why buy the title at all?

I'm in agreement with this person. If you really want to send a message... stop supporting the publisher/developer completely. I did that with Skyrim since they shafted the PS3 version. I was going to buy the PC version but after seeing their BS... I refused to support Bethesda altogether.

how can the X1 & PS4 not be running games in 1080p & at 60fps from the get-go ?
i just cannot understand with the specs & tech inside them why they are struggling, it could be the developers maybe & not the hardware, but they cannot be having problems can they ?

Not strong enough hw? I run high on my laptop for BF3 at 1080p and get around between 50-80FPS FPS. I paid $1400 for my laptop a few months ago. Not sure what people expect for $400 system

I understand the desire but I don't know how an official statement doesn't hurt them one way or the other. An official statement will result in a few different sensationalized headlines from the gaming press:

- Same resolution - Forced Parity related headlines - Sony fans upset
- PS4 higher resolution - BF4 inferior Xbox One version related headlines - MS fans upset
- God forbid Xbox One higher resolution - BF4 inferior PS4 version related headlines - The end of the world as we know it
- Say nothing - A few rumor based headlines from less reputable sites - The hardest of the hardcore are annoyed most are completely unaware of the controversy

I would just suggest anyone truly concerned at this point should simply wait for actual comparisons after launch. Maybe they do end up at the same resolution but with improved image quality and effects on PS4, which complicates any response DICE could honestly give.

yet they'll have to do at some point they can't hold on to this for all of next gen

just imagine if they don't even have the resolution on the box and we had to determine it ourselves

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is Apple good for consumers?

Heck, post-2001 was the PS2 good for consumers (was more expensive than Gamecube)?
Seriously. What are you talking about. Apple products have bleeding edge hardware. The iPhone 5s is tops in basically every benchmark.

Seriously. What are you talking about. Apple products have bleeding edge hardware. The iPhone 5s is tops in basically every benchmark.

"wtf, only dual core and 1GB ram? My Galaxy easily has twice that"

"wtf, I could get a PC laptop with the same specs for half that cost"

"wtf, $100 for 16GB of memory, and no SD slot"

"wtf, only 8MP camera? lame"

Of course, I think they make up for it in plenty of other ways, which is why I have no problem with their products. And of course, in some other scenarios they do have better real world performance, like the iPhone 5S you mentioned, in spite of their "weaker" specs. But there have been plenty of cases where looking solely at the specs/feature list of an Apple product, it would be considered outclassed and overpriced, which is I think what he was referring to.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I understand the desire but I don't know how an official statement doesn't hurt them one way or the other. An official statement will result in a few different sensationalized headlines from the gaming press:

- Same resolution - Forced Parity related headlines - Sony fans upset
- PS4 higher resolution - BF4 inferior Xbox One version related headlines - MS fans upset
- God forbid Xbox One higher resolution - BF4 inferior PS4 version related headlines - The end of the world as we know it
- Say nothing - A few rumor based headlines from less reputable sites - The hardest of the hardcore are annoyed most are completely unaware of the controversy

I would just suggest anyone truly concerned at this point should simply wait for actual comparisons after launch. Maybe they do end up at the same resolution but with improved image quality and effects on PS4, which complicates any response DICE could honestly give.

True. But it'll be pixel counted and we'll have face-offs on November 22nd so something will happen

True. But it'll be pixel counted and we'll have face-offs on November 22nd so something will happen

Absolutely. I really can't remember too many developers highlighting specific platform differences between competing consoles but the information gets out their after launch.

KoopaTheCasual

So just going by the record, since this source isn't 100% proven (although it sounds very reasonable) the only thing we know about BF4 on consoles from DICE execs themselves is that the PS4 version runs at over 720p/60fps? I'm just trying to get a little confirmation.

Didn't stop them from making inferior versions of multiplatform games on systems with more powerful hardware.

I remember games like NFS Hot Pursuit 2 being worse on the GC & Xbox vs. the PS2 with the former having different gameplay mode formats as well as those games being handled by smaller teams in comparison to the PS2 version.

Overall, a person wishing that a console didn't exist just because of the belief that their console of choice is being held back by that other console is childish console war nonsense. It all comes down to sales -- if one console greatly outsells another, then that console will get top priority regardless of whether or not it's more powerful than the other(s).

A lot of people tend to forget about this. The PS2 had complete control of the market and because of that developers chose that system to lead development on. How many actually thought or cared about the possibility if the XBox was being held back due to the PS2? We seen quite drastic differences with some games like Splinter Cell so the better hardware the XBox provided at the time was clearly evident.

MEsoJD

Banned
60fps is great. I'll take it over 1080p/30 anyday, although I was expecting 1080/60.

THIS! I don't expect most next gen consoles being able to do 1080p/60fps so I'd prefer 720p/60fps than 1080p/30fps. Especially since consoles are usually played on tvs which are enjoyed at a distance.

Skeff

THIS! I don't expect most next gen consoles being able to do 1080p/60fps so I'd prefer 720p/60fps than 1080p/30fps. Especially since consoles are usually played on tvs which are enjoyed at a distance.

If only there were a variety of resolutions in between.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
"wtf, only dual core and 1GB ram? My Galaxy easily has twice that"

"wtf, I could get a PC laptop with the same specs for half that cost"

"wtf, $100 for 16GB of memory, and no SD slot"

"wtf, only 8MP camera? lame"

Of course, I think they make up for it in plenty of other ways, which is why I have no problem with their products. And of course, in some other scenarios they do have better real world performance, like the iPhone 5S you mentioned, in spite of their "weaker" specs. But there have been plenty of cases where looking solely at the specs/feature list of an Apple product, it would be considered outclassed and overpriced, which is I think what he was referring to.

None of their devices have "worse" specs. They charge for other things: build quality, operating system, etc. It's been a very long time (like, since the G5 switch) that I think people have legitimately complained about Apple's general tech laggardery.

I had a Mac during the SPEC DUMP days...when shit actually went backwards.

Exactly this. So many people don't get that the whole point of having competition is so companies get hurt when they either misbehave or can't keep up. Competition where companies are kept in business just to provide competition doesn't have the same benefits.

Very good point/points my friend. I agree completely!

mrlovepump

Neo Member
After moving over to a highish end PC (i5 @4.2 / 7970) a year or so ago I have gone back to the ps3 to catch up on GTA, the last of us and beyond (when out) etc. While for the first few days the significant graphical and framerate drop hurt my eyes... for a good game I very soon learnt to cope with it.

Just saying... if the games good minor details matter way less than we sometimes think they do.

Having said that with 8 weeks odd to go we need something to talk about... so carry on :)

mrlovepump

Neo Member
Very good point/points my friend. I agree completely!

I completely agree, with luck being put on the backfoot will force MS to come out all guns blazing and really up their game. I have no doubt they can offer services through the xbox one that will make the ps4 seem palaeolithic by comparison (in terms of the OS, features etc). As it stands I just dont want to be a paying lab rat while they get all that sorted as unless there is a surprise I dont think most of the stuff is there yet.

Its totally silly of me but they keep tweeting about US sports news and its just so alienating they are pushing me, a person who has used his xbox as his primary platform since the original (I was on the live beta and everything) away. It just seems like they are accepting that they only want to sell units in the US or something. Maybe its just me but the complete lack of international attention with the One has left me very cold of late.

Jtrizzy

It really is kind of sad that the game won't be 1080p 60. I fired up bf3 for the first time in ages on my 3 year old 580 earlier and was getting a constant 60 except for when my tank would get blown up/crazy shit going on. 1080p on ultra with no aa. If I could just get that on ps4 I'd be happy. If it somehow ends up 720p on ps4 ill likely skip it all together.

I completely agree, with luck being put on the backfoot will force MS to come out all guns blazing and really up their game. I have no doubt they can offer services through the xbox one that will make the ps4 seem palaeolithic by comparison (in terms of the OS, features etc). .

I don't see them doing that . If Microsoft wants to be competitive they need to do some things they really aren't willing to.

1) the Price would need to drop another $150. However they do it. removing kinect or whatever.

No reason for me to pay the same price (never mind $100 more) for a weaker console.

2) remove their pay wall for already free services like netflix etc...
3) Make sure their is no pay wall for using their cable box guide/features

They want this in the family room to replace a cable box guide then there had better be no strings. No one wants to have to buy a Live account to access free services or Cable TV you already buy.

foxbeldin

I don't see them doing that . If Microsoft wants to be competitive they need to do some things they really aren't willing to.

1) the Price would need to drop another $150. However they do it. removing kinect or whatever.

No reason for me to pay the same price (never mind $100 more) for a weaker console.

2) remove their pay wall for already free services like netflix etc...
3) Make sure their is no pay wall for using their cable box guide/features

They want this in the family room to replace a cable box guide then there had better be no strings. No one wants to have to buy a Live account to access free services or Cable TV you already buy.

10/10 would buy
but it won't happen

Just curious, which console did you bought this gen? If you bought all, which one did you bought first?

Current gen I have a 360 .I have never owned any Sony Consoles. I preordered the PS4 after E3 and it will be my first Sony Console.

EDIT: I will say that if MS really wants to sell more consoles they could do so by simply adding backwards compatibility with the 360. It could actually justify the purchase for some .

Piggus

This may have been done already, but here's upscaled 720p vs upscaled 900p vs native 1080p in the BF4 beta.

All settings are maxed with post-processing AA and no MSAA. The shimmering effect of lower resolution is a lot more apparent in motion, especially at 720p.

iDViUoc9QYoFt.png

ibzQupHBImjtDD.png

ixzjANgK21J2t.png

inherendo

This may have been done already, but here's upscaled 720p vs upscaled 900p vs native 1080p in the BF4 beta.

All settings are maxed with post-processing AA and no MSAA. The shimmering effect of lower resolution is a lot more apparent in motion, especially at 720p.

And that's why I hate upscaling. Those jaggies... *shudder*

Edit: That's with aa?

Piggus

Yeah, it's pretty bad even at 900p. The post-AA does a very poor job of masking the aliasing when you step down to lower resolutions and there's a terrible shimmering effect on objects like distant buildings, fences, etc. Even at 1080p the image quality isn't great. You really need at least 2x deferred AA for things to look smooth and it's pretty damn demanding. I'd be surprised if the console versions use deferred AA at all.

Portugeezer

I definitely see your point of view but I'm not certain it's in EA's best interest because most of their games are cross platform. And regardless of which console has a larger install base at the beginning, XB1 will still sell well, and having great looking games on both consoles will likely make them more money than having great looking games on one console. Again I could be wrong.

Can we all agree on one thing? It is better for us, the consumers, if the XB1 and PS4 both succeed. I definitely want them both to succeed!

Being a mostly online, FPS gamer, I am more confident in XB Live than PSN, and I don't want to wait a year to play Titanfall.That is why I chose XB1. But that could change later.
Gimping PS4 version for the sake of parity is worse than the XB1 version not being as pretty due to not being as powerful; that is a legit reason.

If both versions look the same DICE can suck my left nut, I won't be buying BF4.

Top Bottom