• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Lazaro

Interesting list, looks like some of the devs didn't really bother with testing various display modes judging by Rayman 3.

I remember when the component cables were on special this one time in 2005, totally regret not buying them now but I was young then, lol.

My memory is hazy on the Xbox because I had a modded machine and could force most games into 60Hz that way. Some games like Halo would bug out and stutter when forced however.

I don't remember any issues with the 360 but I didn't buy one on launch.

There were 60Hz Gamecube games on launch. PAL Gamecube was very hit and miss though.

I think some 360 XBLA arcade titles were limited to 50hz but I really can't remember which exact ones right now.

I really need to breakout my modded OG Xbox and try this forcing method. Probably need to replace capacitors though once I find the damn console, lol.

Yeah Sony is treats us like shit compared to MS. Also all what you said is factual and true. Nintendo is in a whole another world in not giving a fuck.

Sony is the absolute fucking worst company to get support from, especially if it's got to do with their smartphones and such. You literally have to persist to get proper support and repairs. I really really hope that they somehow improve in the future.

Nintendo is just as stubborn as Sony but not nearly as rude. They have nice operator music though :3

Microsoft is okay but their support team is pretty clueless and there doesn't seem to be Australian branch to talk to, that said they're actually really good with replacements and warranties. They also have offered me compensation in the past because of the issues I faced. The also pay for delivery and returns which makes them leaps and bounds better than Sony and Nintendo.

Novocaine

Firewatch and Hyper Light Drifter took over a month to come to Australia, The Witness still hasn't. Not necessarily PAL but Australia is certainly treated like crap, though not sure if this has anything to do with Microsoft or our ratings board holding games back.

Our ratings board is probably the culprit here but I don't think it's just because of their backwards ass definitions of what's good and what's not but more because of the cost for an indie dev to bring their game to the ratings board. It costs so much that it might not be financially justifiable to do it. And considering we can easily switch to a different region and buy a game I don't have a real problem with it.

Overall I don't think it's because of Microsoft. Although I wish they would help out the smaller devs a little.

No one challenges their title though so it rings true regardless, I guess Japan could have an issue with it since baseball is popular there.
It's a thing to make fun of for sure but not a serious jab. Football and baseball have a tiny presence in the rest of the world.

Microsoft also didn't even launch the XBO in many PAL regions for a long time. Didn't support Kinect with them either. The whole original approach didn't do anything outside the US and it didn't even work properly with 50hz

We have Baseball over here inthe UK too, but we call it Rounders lol :) . And for the Pal gamer Microsoft simply have been far better than the likes of SONY, Nintendo and SEGA . SONY were rubbish to the Pal gamer with the PS with most games being 50Hz (but full screen) At least SEGA did fully optimise the likes of Sega Rally and VF II (SONY didn't with the likes of GT) SONY's utter contempt for the Pal gamer on the PS2 was pretty shocking right from the start with huge black borders and a total lack of 60 Hz option (at least SEGA started to do with the DC) . Microsft to their credit right from the start made most games Pal games full screen and 60 Hz, Then with the 360 not only did they carry on with 60 Hz support for most games , Microsoft really started to reduce the wait for Hardware and software dates between launching in the USA and Pal.

When it games to Pal gaming Microsoft have been way better . Nintendo still to this day are shocking and think it's fine to make games 50 Hz on VC

Backlogger

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/790553589190123520

CvicTGYWAAAojWT

Swass

That is a pretty terrible lineup for November.. guess it's to be expected when they are trying to push fresh new retail games.

RowdyReverb

Murdered: Soul Suspect definitely fits the category of games I considered trying, but really didn't feel like buying. It got pretty middling reviews as I recall

Super Dungeon looks like it could be good, I knew Murdered was only a matter of time so I held off getting it on sale and I'm also in for Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Will pass on Monkey Island, could never get into those old point and click games. Good month.

Chris1

Saddest news to come from next months GWG is that DR3 probably won't be GWG for a while now. If it was going to be anytime soon it probably would have been this month in anticipation for DR4.

Also surprised Watch Dogs wasn't GWG too

im_dany

I bought Murdered and Monkey Island for cheap a long time ago but never played them :(

Mediocre month, I expected more after last month.

louiedog

I bought Murdered and Monkey Island for cheap a long time ago but never played them :(

Mediocre month, I expected more after last month.

A mediocre month of games you thought were worth purchasing but don't actually know how good they are because you haven't played them?

I'm remembering why I don't visit the PS+ and GWG threads much.

Flux

Murdered: Soul Suspect definitely fits the category of games I considered trying, but really didn't feel like buying. It got pretty middling reviews as I recall

Exactly what I've been thinking. Wanted to pick it up at some point because of the concept of the game. Could just never bring myself to doing it because it does appear to be fairly mediocre at best.

Either way, there usually aren't any heavy hitters for the holiday months and I'm fine with that. I own both Monkey Island and Blood Dragon already.

im_dany

A mediocre month of games you thought were worth purchasing but don't actually know how good they are because you haven't played them?

I'm remembering why I don't visit the PS+ and GWG threads much.

Were they not cheap, I wouldn't have added them to my backlog (especially not Monkey Island as I already played that on PC).

We have a new indie (which we don't know if it'll be good or bad), an AA game that went for less than 20$ after like two months and is about 6 hours long and two XBLA games that's been on sale for 5$ or less many times. It's far from fantastic IMHO.

Montresor

Murdered Soul Suspect is a mediocre game but still worth playing. I ended up giving the game a 2.5/5. It's a flawed game but there is nothing else like it on the console. It's a nifty ghost story / point-and-click style adventure game. I like the characters and art style. A lot of the game play / exploration could have used some better work though.

If you are a fan of puzzle / adventure games in general it's worth it to at least try Murdered Soul Suspect.

Far Cry Blood Dragon is an excellent FPS open world / action adventure game. Fantastic gun play, art style, and music with a funny story. The 80s synth music and bright red art style were my favourite aspects of the game.

Monkey Island is a fun puzzle game. A lot of obscure and difficult challenges in the game. Must play for anyone who loves the puzzle genre.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Honestly, I like the month. They're good "Space fillers" for people who don't have them, it's a nice variety of games, and the star of the month offers multi-player that should be enjoyable.

There's a lot of "I might not buy it, but I'd love to give it a shot!" within this month's selection, so a perfect compliment to the months where EVERYONE is buying the games they WANT to play otherwise.

I really like getting new indies on XBL. They're normally much more straight-forward games, and less Artsy "experiences" like Sony's choices, and they're games I'd love to try, but wouldn't be my first to buy.

Already had Blood Dragon due to PS+. But I much prefer it on XB1 BC instead, so works out there, too.

Saddest news to come from next months GWG is that DR3 probably won't be GWG for a while now. If it was going to be anytime soon it probably would have been this month in anticipation for DR4.

Also surprised Watch Dogs wasn't GWG too

Christmas is coming...if Microsoft continues to have good momentum with sales, I could see them throwing titles like Watch Dogs, Dead Rising 3, or Assassin's Creed out there for December in an effort to grab headlines/boost sales.

KiraXD

Was gonna grab Murdered on psn for 5$ but i can wait for gwg... Blood dragon already have from ps+, but cool for anyone who doesnt have it yet. Its an okay month... Better than october for fucking sure lol.

CaptNink

Awesome month for me! Soul Suspect and Blood Dragon were titles I wanted to try but never did. And it will be fun to play Monkey Island again!

Already have Blood Dragon, but I've had my eye on Murdered SS for a while now, and always figured it'd hit GwG eventually. Have mild interest in the other two. So a pretty solid month for me.

Blood Dragon is the real standout here, though. I implore everyone to play it if they haven't already.

EmiPrime

Like I said in the other thread, I'm very happy to be getting Murdered Soul Suspect. Next month looks much better than this month.

I'm not sure of what to think about this month, to be honest. If I didn't have any of the games, or have beaten them, I'd be ecstatic, so there's that. But I've played Blood Dragon (which was great) and Murdered (which was quite decent), and don't know if Monkey Island is for me.

Maybe Super Dungeon Bros. will be a winner, but I never have anyone to play with.

didn't blood dragon run like dog💩 on 360

Don't remember it running poorly. It was awesome.

Soul Suspect is awesome, I played right through (100%'ed it too!), I found the story really interesting.

I already own that and Blood Dragon so the second half of the month is doh! :p

Top Bottom