• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

flkraven

I bought slime rancher and thought it was incredible. It's janky in the same way that Minecraft is janky, only sr is more polished.

flkraven

What is Slime Rancher like?

It looks and sounds very cute.

It reminds me of the Chu enemies in Wind Waker. But cuter.

Was playing it during early access, so I don't know if it has anymore structure, however, it's sort-of like Minecraft in that there is no real 'story'. You collect different kinds of Slimes and put them into little cages. You keep the slimes fed and happy, and they give you 'plorts'. You can feed the plorts to other Slimes to make cross-breeds/hybrids, or you can sell the plorts on the market. The market works like any other market, in that the more you sell of a particular slime, the price is likely to go down since the supply is being flooded (and vice versa with demand).

You feed your Slimes, collect plorts, grow food, and explore new areas and invest in your farm. As you explore you find new areas and new mysterious types of slimes, and as you invest in your farm you get new technologies (like auto feeders, etc). It's the perfect chill-out and relax game. I'll probably start again from scratch now that it's officially 'out'. My wife has already dumped like 40+ hours into it, lol.

Good thing I checked here, didn't know about Cobalt. The Japanese free game has been Max: CoB like 97% of its existence haha. I did get zoo tycoon and that ninja multiplayer game there tho

peppers

I'm actually having a good time playing Slime Rancher. I wouldn't have played it otherwise so it was great to have it this month.

I've been interested in Slime Rancher for quite some time now, and now that I've played it I can see why! Game is really addicting for me and scratches that farming sim/Minecraft itch for me. Kind of hope the Xbox One X can help with the framerate though, it definitely dips quite frequently. Not game-breaking, but it'd be nice to see it run smoothly more often.

FN-2187

I've been interested in Slime Rancher for quite some time now, and now that I've played it I can see why! Game is really addicting for me and scratches that farming sim/Minecraft itch for me. Kind of hope the Xbox One X can help with the framerate though, it definitely dips quite frequently. Not game-breaking, but it'd be nice to see it run smoothly more often.

Super addictive, but yeah, the performance is not great. I'd love to see a DF breakdown because it is one of those rare console games that gives you the option to enable/disable v-sync. It has it off by default, but I can't stand screen tearing. I am curious how much of an effect enabling it has on framerate.

Super addictive, but yeah, the performance is not great. I'd love to see a DF breakdown because it is one of those rare console games that gives you the option to enable/disable v-sync. It has it off by default, but I can't stand screen tearing. I am curious how much of an effect enabling it has on framerate.

For my eyes it looks like it goes from a really varied 40 to 50 with tons of tearing (actually made me slightly nauseous even though I never get that in first person games) to being a more enjoyable and stable 25-30 fps with v-sync on. I'm guessing the FOV slider will also make a difference in the framerate too.

Chris1

Amazing stuff. My wife loves it. I like watching her playing it.

I wish we got more data about how much stuff was downloaded. The Crew had 3M downloads, Slime Rancher 2.6M so far and there was another indie game early on in the XB1 life that had 1.xM downloads aswell. Would be awesome if we got download data for every game to look at the trends and what not, stuff like that interests me anyway.. Maybe I'm just weird :)

Since Slime Rancher still has another 20 days it'll probably end up around 3-3.5M when all is said and done, pretty impressive

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I wish we got more data about how much stuff was downloaded. The Crew had 3M downloads, Slime Rancher 2.6M so far and there was another indie game early on in the XB1 life that had 1.xM downloads aswell. Would be awesome if we got download data for every game to look at the trends and what not, stuff like that interests me anyway.. Maybe I'm just weird :)

Since Slime Rancher still has another 20 days it'll probably end up around 3-3.5M when all is said and done, pretty impressive

Doesnt really say much about trends when it commes to GWG because people will download it(its free) and if they dont like it they wont play it again.

What you should be watching is the Most Popular games list.

If a GWG game stays on the list for a while it tells you people really liked it.
I also use the list when im deciding which "older game" im gonna purchase, if a game is like 2 years old but still holding high on the list it must be doing something right.

I always liked when Major Nelson used to post most played games on XBL
It being integrated into LIVE now is even better....sometimes i forget a game came out and i see it on the list and im like "oh yeah i meant to get that didnt I" (stares at Siege)

Chris1

Doesnt really say much about trends when it commes to GWG because people will download it(its free) and if they dont like it they wont play it again.

What you should be watching is the Most Popular games list.

If a GWG game stays on the list for a while it tells you people really liked it.
I also use the list when im deciding which "older game" im gonna purchase, if a game is like 2 years old but still holding high on the list it must be doing something right.

I always liked when Major Nelson used to post most played games on XBL
It being integrated into LIVE now is even better....sometimes i forget a game came out and i see it on the list and im like "oh yeah i meant to get that didnt I" (stares at Siege)

I mean in terms of which games people get vs which they don't, a rough estimate for how many people download every single game, which months has the highest which months has the lowest, wether games like SO get huge boosts over the rest. Etc.

All those lists on the store is a different thing and while it's cool to look at, it's really just a whole load of nothing. Those lists are separated by regions making it extremely hard to paint a decent picture aswell as being time played within a certain period so a 2 hour game that's GWG might be amazing and have some of the best engagements for GwG's, but as it's so short and one person playing through the GTA V once during that time amounts to 7-8 people completing that 2 hour game. As I said it's really a whole load of nothing and for obvious reasons will be dominated by multiplayer games.

flkraven

I bought Slime Rancher months ago. So did a few other people I know. They wouldn't be counted in that statistic though, right? Or is that just total downloads?

Montresor

Just tried Slime Rancher and I'm addicted.

I want my ranch to have multiple gardens, corrals, all fully upgraded. Lol it's so addictive.

Question: Do slime die if I stop feeding them?

I have a high-walled corral full of pink slime. And another high-walled corral full of rock-pink largos. I prefer to just only feed the largos. Is that a good strategy?

I want my ranch to have multiple gardens, corrals, all fully upgraded. Lol it's so addictive.

I have a high-walled corral full of pink slime. And another high-walled corral full of rock-pink largos. I prefer to just only feed the largos. Is that a good strategy?
Unfed slimes can get angry and turn on you if you don't feed them. Once a group a slimes starts becoming unprofitable it's best to eradicate them and replace with something else. Your crops and you are only at risk in this case so it's not as bad as a plort mismatch outbreak.

Justinh

Yeah, I've been playing a lot of Slime Rancher. I've actually stopped myself from starting it up a few times because if I start, then I'm "in" for at least an hour.

It's getting pretty busy. So many slimes I need to make sure have food, and pull their plorts for money
or crafting resources

After playing for so long, I feel dumb that I learned so long after I started playing that you get double plorts for feeding them their favorite food. Now I'm chasing around certain kinds of chickens for my tabbies and booms, lol...

edit: I never mess with the largos in my ranch because I like them at their basic level in case I need to move them easily or need a couple for the market.

Montresor

Unfed slimes can get angry and turn on you if you don't feed them. Once a group a slimes starts becoming unprofitable it's best to eradicate them and replace with something else. Your crops and you are only at risk in this case so it's not as bad as a plort mismatch outbreak.

Thanks. But I couldn't help but lol at "once they become unprofitable it's best to eradicate them". You monster. :)

SirKhalid

I suggest to always using largo. You will always need a bit of everything for Slime Science. And if the price go down, you just stock up that plort and sell something else.

sirpikaz

Neo Member

I've gone quite sometime without feeding certain slimes and nothing happens. I will say I don't keep any pink slimes, as they are so unprofitable. Most largos are too big.

The rock slimes for example, love the heart beets. So they will drop two plorks. I have a pen with 50 of them, and grow two gardens of the beets. I feel thats much profitable than a pen of pink/rock largos.

However, I do have a pen of honey/bomb largos, and feed them the green. Those have been quite profitable, as both plorks are worth money, but they explode and get out a lot still, so I'm debating just having 50 honey slimes and feeding them the green fruit for the double plorks.

Top Bottom