• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Both current gen consoles are one year old now, seems like PS+ will start giving retail games from now on, or at least, "bigger" games. If MS doesn't follow suit then it sucks. As a PS4 mainly gamer i'd love for Xbox One to follow suit with retail games on GWG, i barely play anything on Xbox as it is, main reason i'm a subscriber is because my son used to play Garden Warfare A LOT. He's moving on to other games now so unless MS changes their current stratefy i won't be resubing Gold.

Just curious - how do we know Sony will start giving retail games for the ps4? Did I miss something?

Edit PS+ games were announced for December

Chobel

This, but honestly before this month the only game I was slightly interested in on both side was Max so I've personally got no real complaints.

I was hoping to get a retail game, though I'm not shocked we didn't either. This is Sony's first time locking multiplayer behind PS+ they need to convince people into re subbing for the year, MS doesn't really. I have no doubt Sony's game quality will go down quite a lot come Feb, but it would have been nice if MS matched it with another retail game.

Why do you think so?

Also now that Sony is locking multiplayer behind PS+, they really don't need to convince people to into re-subbing. If you want to play online, you have to pay for PS+ whether you like the free games or not.

Chris1

Why do you think so?

Also now that Sony is locking multiplayer behind PS+, they really don't need to convince people to into re-subbing. If you want to play online, you have to pay for PS+ whether you like the free games or not.
I kinda answered that in my post, but I think the only reason sony is offering Injustice/Infamous is to trick people into subbing for a year, otherwise why announce it weeks in advance and have these games start right as peoples subscriptions were bound to end? The timing is far too much of a coincidence to be a "good" thing.

With Sony locking MP behind PS+ they don't need to convince you, but maybe they just don't know how many people will continue paying solely for MP and are afraid of losing those subscribers because after all, a good part of their subscription base will be people who only paid it for the free games on the ps3, so the easiest way to lure them into re subbing is to offer free good games. With MS they know people will continue to pay for MP because they have been for years.

i'll be really shocked if sony doesn't go back to indie games after jan

Chobel

I kinda answered that in my post, but I think the only reason sony is offering Injustice/Infamous is to trick people into subbing for a year, otherwise why announce it weeks in advance and have these games start right as peoples subscriptions were bound to end? The timing is far too much of a coincidence to be a "good" thing.

With Sony locking MP behind PS+ they don't need to convince you, but maybe they just don't know how many people will continue paying solely for MP and are afraid of losing those subscribers because after all, a good part of their subscription base will be people who only paid it for the free games on the ps3, so the easiest way to lure them into re subbing is to offer free good games. With MS they know people will continue to pay for MP because they have been for years.

These people represent very small portion of PS+ subscribers, most people are subscribing only for MP, free games are just a bonus.

Also prepare to be shocked, because I doubt Sony is going to offer only small games in PS+.

It probably will, but its not going to go back as bad as it was this month where everything is an indie. By jan enough time has passed that publishers (and sony) are going to be less reluctant to give away games that they could of sold. Nobody is picking up things like Knack or Killzone now, not even as curiosity.

I do think PS4 plus will never reach the heights of PS3 plus, but its not gonna be too bad. I expect some of these B-tier games (Styx, Murdered SS) and a few remasters (Tomb raider, Rayman) will be popping up in the coming months.

Microsoft on the other hand stiĺl has a long way to go. I dont expect gold to get consistently good for at least another 6 months. Your money would be better spent on EA access if you are signing up for free games.

Chris1

These people represent very small portion of PS+ subscribers, most people are subscribing only for MP, free games are just a bonus.
I guess we will just have to wait until after January to see what PS+ offers, but as I said I think the timing & how far in advance they are announcing the games is too much of a coincidence for it to become a regular thing.

I welcome Sony to keep offering retail games though, as it would hopefully kick MS into doing the same, and maybe even kick them into offering two games per month instead of just one.

It probably will, but its not going to go back as bad as it was this month where everything is an indie. By jan enough time has passed that publishers (and sony) are going to be less reluctant to give away games that they could of sold. Nobody is picking up things like Knack or Killzone now, not even as curiosity.

I do think PS4 plus will never reach the heights of PS3 plus, but its not gonna be too bad. I expect some of these B-tier games (Styx, Murdered SS) and a few remasters (Tomb raider, Rayman) will be popping up in the coming months.

Microsoft on the other hand stiĺl has a long way to go. I dont expect gold to get consistently good for at least another 6 months. Your money would be better spent on EA access if you are signing up for free games.

I do agree that next year it will get "better", but I don't think that will happen until towards the end of the year, at least not consistently.

nampad

Can't believe how sluggish the webstore interface is. Microsoft pioneered in that area and I expect more from them, as they are primarily a software company. Even Sony's is better now.

Indie games are not terrible to get. See: Volgarr.

Or Chariot or Guacamelee or Super Time Force.

Bit ridiculous to see indie games as a negative, especially when you're comparing them to the likes of Injustice.

Would much rather have a good game (indie or otherwise) than a bad one.

flkraven

Or Chariot or Guacamelee or Super Time Force.

Bit ridiculous to see indie games as a negative, especially when you're comparing them to the likes of Injustice.

Would much rather have a good game (indie or otherwise) than a bad one.

I think the thing that isn't communicated very well by critics of the exclusive-indie offerings is the perceived value proposition. It comes out like 'Indies suck' or 'these games suck' and it is implied that even the shittiest AAA game is better than the best indie. I don't believe they feel this way.

I think it's all about value. When the free game offered retailed for $15 and, while challenging, unique, and fun, can be played on a 10 year old laptop, it can be a little disheartening for someone that purchased a $400 machine with a $60 annual membership. I'm not saying this is correct nor am I saying it is incorrect, simply that I understand.

I bought a brand new machine. I love indie games. I enjoy the games offered so far, but I wouldn't mind an AAA game that demonstrates why I spent big money on this box, rather than getting an infinite amount of games that could have been played on my 9 year old 360.

p3tran

Banned

I guess we will just have to wait until after January to see what PS+ offers, but as I said I think the timing & how far in advance they are announcing the games is too much of a coincidence for it to become a regular thing.

I welcome Sony to keep offering retail games though, as it would hopefully kick MS into doing the same, and maybe even kick them into offering two games per month instead of just one.

I think you will be pushed hard to find even one logical person that will refute what you wrote (in bold) chris1.
also, add up the fiasco with the promised -for over a year and still delayed- driveclub ps+ edition, and you got yourself a clearer picture.

furthermore, its funny that suddenly ...injustice is a game with ...huge gravity :D
I mean, I have it on 360 since april 2013, (ps4 its a port, isnt it? or am I mistaken?) and I just checked for good deals on ps4, and I found it new for ps4 $15 on amazon and used disks in the price around a tenner in local.

I recently re-subbed for another year on ps+ (I , like most people I guess, we picked up the plus sub only when we bought our ps4's, so it was expiring for most of us this month)
but I re-subbed because I like to support sony, and not because I was ...amazed by the quality of games on offer :D

and the fact that declaring so much time before these two games (one game and one dlc to be more correct), and people find them ...offers extraordinaire, (hell, even sony itself found it appropriate enough to gloat two months in advance about it :D),
I guess that speaks volumes by itself for the rest of the ps4 plus offers until now, no matter what you may see written as opinions from time to time ;)

anyway, since this topic is not about ps4 nor its offerings,
about xbox gold, and personally speaking, I would be much more pleased if microsoft cut the bullshit with the free games and made the network I pay to play on even better.
but thats just me.
sony's network is much worse for me, so anybody can make a guess about what I would prefer to happen regarding ps plus, too.

TheYanger

I think the thing that isn't communicated very well by critics of the exclusive-indie offerings is the perceived value proposition. It comes out like 'Indies suck' or 'these games suck' and it is implied that even the shittiest AAA game is better than the best indie. I don't believe they feel this way.

I think it's all about value. When the free game offered retailed for $15 and, while challenging, unique, and fun, can be played on a 10 year old laptop, it can be a little disheartening for someone that purchased a $400 machine with a $60 annual membership. I'm not saying this is correct nor am I saying it is incorrect, simply that I understand.

I bought a brand new machine. I love indie games. I enjoy the games offered so far, but I wouldn't mind an AAA game that demonstrates why I spent big money on this box, rather than getting an infinite amount of games that could have been played on my 9 year old 360.

The thing I don't get is, people are so amped for Injustice...it's an average game, but more importantly it's so old! It's like 15 bucks. So yeah, it's retail, but that's like being psyched when we got Halo 3 with GWG when it first launched - nobody was excited about that, it's an old game that you already own if you actually want it, and you can get it DIRT CHEAP at a retail outlet.

I'm not psyched to get Worms, but the GWG offerings over the past year have definitely been good. Seems weird to outrage over one weak month when PS+ has had those too.

I have a question about XBL Gold Games ;) When I downloaded a game for free from XBL Gold can I download it once I removed the game from the harddrive again later for free, even if it's then not anymore in the XBL Gold promotion? Thanks :)

HBP

I have a question about XBL Gold Games ;) When I downloaded a game for free from XBL Gold can I download it once I removed the game from the harddrive again later for free, even if it's then not anymore in the XBL Gold promotion? Thanks :)

Yep as long as you still have your Gold sub.

HBP

SonyToo!™;141158875 said:
Is this correct? If so that would mean 360 GFG are ours to keep forever gold or silver, only we need gold to redownload them. (THX in advance)

I think on 360 you can keep them either way but not sure, I was referring to Xbox One (should have specified).

On the 360, you DON'T need an active Gold subscription to download games you own, which includes the Games with Gold.

So it is only the first episode?

Oh dear. Are the other episodes at least on sale?

Doesn't seem like it. Episode two and three cost $9.99 each. I'm not even going to bother downloading episode one.

Doffen

So it is only the first episode?

Oh dear. Are the other episodes at least on sale?

7Rbp1.gif

GVA1987

Just noticed that Volgarr is now available on GWG in Australia. If you wanted it grab it while you can people who couldn't before. So we still seem to have Worms, Powerstar Golf and Volgarr on GWG. Grab it while you can!

stn

I'll grab The Raven and then wait for its remaining episodes to go on sale. They've been on sale once before and I almost bought them all.

Scanna

Well, just a news: #IDARB will be part of GwG in February
"Throughout February, Xbox One owners with Xbox Live Gold accounts will be able to download the highly anticipated game free of charge, as part of Microsoft’s Games with Gold program." from press release

Welfare

Well, just a news: #IDARB will be part of GwG in February
"Throughout February, Xbox One owners with Xbox Live Gold accounts will be able to download the highly anticipated game free of charge, as part of Microsoft’s Games with Gold program." from press release

So now I get to be disappointed this month instead of February.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I wish Microsoft would try and lure me in with a retail X1 game. Or better yet give me two X1 games for the month.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I wish I could get in to Indie titles but about 90% of them are just complete crap to me. If it's PixelArt based then I really can't get in to them.

Top Bottom