• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA Passes 500 Title Milestone

because the classic arcade and console games model wasn't sustainable. as evidenced by Virtual Console and Game Room. You reach a point where you're shovelling obscure shit for $5 because nobody can get the licenses to the titles people really want. Eventually the service ends up nothing but shovelware.

While I think XBLA has been steadily improving over the years, I do regret that we haven't seen more classic arcade games on it. And by "classic" I just mean old - I would much prefer to see some obscure stuff there (like little-known Saturn games or just titles that have never come out of Japan) than actual classics we've all played before. Of course, they would have to be priced accordingly so that service could probably never sustain itself, but I still wish for a place where you could legally buy loads of obscure ROM dumps for cheap, with no modern day improvements whatsoever.

vixlar

yes, it is sad that Remakes saw a disminution... but is great we get so many new IPS...

Raskulls, Ilomilo, Keflings, Toy Soldiers, Magic: Planeswalkers, Skullgirls, Zen Pinball, Braid, Geometry Wars... so much win.

And as many people say, the best of this generation. Good prices, downloadable, with demos (trials), deal of the week, special sales, expansions and patches for most games, developers take some risks with these games. Maybe some games are expensive (Popcap games) and some decitions on part of Microsoft are bs (ms being ms) but as a gamer, I am happy with this service and I'm glad they reached this milestone...

While I think XBLA has been steadily improving over the years, I do regret that we haven't seen more classic arcade games on it. And by "classic" I just mean old - I would much prefer to see some obscure stuff there (like little-known Saturn games or just titles that have never come out of Japan) than actual classics we've all played before. Of course, they would have to be priced accordingly so that service could probably never sustain itself, but I still wish for a place where you could legally buy loads of obscure ROM dumps for cheap, with no modern day improvements whatsoever.

Really, it's up to the rights owners and publishers to put together their own collections on XBLA, not Microsoft. Sega is doing this at the moment with their vintage collections. There's nothing stopping them from doing this with more of their arcade games.

Capcom could do something similar with their arcade back-catalogue, but they seemed to lose interest in these types of games, moving more towards their bigger franchises instead.

Clearly there's a cost associated with packaging the game together, clearing licenses etc, and this isn't worth it from a business standpoint, given the niche market.

Even the HD remake of Daytona USA only sold something like 17k copies on XBLA.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Just had a count of mine, I only have 41. Actually thought it would be more. Must have played a lot of trials.

Really is a fantastic service. Fair few things coming up that I'm also looking forward to.

It will be interesting to see how MS handles these titles going into next gen.

Really, it's up to the rights owners and publishers to put together their own collections on XBLA, not Microsoft. Sega is doing this at the moment with their vintage collections. There's nothing stopping them from doing this with more of their arcade games.

Capcom could do something similar with their arcade back-catalogue, but they seemed to lose interest in these types of games, moving more towards their bigger franchises instead.

Clearly there's a cost associated with packaging the game together, clearing licenses etc, and this isn't worth it from a business standpoint, given the niche market.

Even the HD remake of Daytona USA only sold something like 17k copies on XBLA.

XBLA is really not fit for that, what with its HD requirements, certification process, staggered releases, price points and people's expectations. It would have to be a completely new service with a new business model and a platform holder who would actively pursue owners of such old games, and not just passively wait for them to put something on the service. Game Room seemed like a nice try at first, but it ended up going nowhere. I'm not even sure if it would be feasible in any way, I'm just saying that I'd love to see it happen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
XBLA is really not fit for that, what with its HD requirements, certification process, staggered releases, price points and people's expectations. It would have to be a completely new service with a new business model and a platform holder who would actively pursue owners of such old games, and not just passively wait for them to put something on the service. Game Room seemed like a nice try at first, but it ended up going nowhere. I'm not even sure if it would be feasible in any way, I'm just saying that I'd love to see it happen.

My basic problems with Game Room were, in order:

1) Pricing; every game cost too much
2) Selection; most of the games were from an era I absolutely didn't care about, many weren't even arcade games.
3) The interface. I really didn't care about decorating my own arcade, or any of that crap. I basically wanted to choose games from a menu just like I did with XBLA.
4) Features: No achievements per-game. It would be easy to implement them, the fact that they didn't was mondo stupid. Would have also like to see cheat codes and/or other cool additions.

Virtual console has some of problem #1, none of problem #2, none of problem #3, and a lot of problem #4, by contrast.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Compared to what?

For example, a retail platform. The DS has >2000 games WW over its lifespan, 360 is probably around 1100 retail titles now. But I think the more interesting thing is that we actually think of XBLA in terms of being its own platform, rather than being a value-add on a console with retail titles.

For example, a retail platform. The DS has >2000 games WW over its lifespan, 360 is probably around 1100 retail titles now. But I think the more interesting thing is that we actually think of XBLA in terms of being its own platform, rather than being a value-add on a console with retail titles.

We were lucky to get a XBLA game every week when it first launched, it took quite a bit of time to get going. Now though, we're seeing two or more releases every week. Given that it was more of a pet-project when it first started, I still think this is a good milestone.

lefantome

I hope they will be available on Xbox 720.

I have only 15 games, but I bought only 4-5 of them, the others were free. I plan to buy retro city rampage.

Geometry Wars 1-2 are awesome

Not perfect, but no other single part of this gen was more responsible for killing hours and eating my spending money than XBLA. If it could be considered a separate and wholly distinct platform, it'd be the one I've spend the most money and time with this generation. My library is well over one-hundred titles and I'm looking forward to XBLA 3.0 on the next XBOX.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Think it was just a tongue in cheek dig at PSN, not to be taken serious. Had me laughing as soon as I saw it though.
Oh ok... I didn't see it that way since PSN obviously has a ton of titles as well.

Shit, even DSiWare has nearly 500 games/apps now. (500+ in Japan)

LakeEarth

I was sad when MS started discouraging actual arcade games from XBLA. They started off so strong this gen and did their best to fuck up as much as they could the past couple of years.

I agree with this. The charm of XBLA in the beginning was that it was a return to the simple yet addicting games of the 80s with online leaderboards (and modern graphics in some cases)! It's changed. Some people might like it more, but I'm not as into it as I once was.

And this list is sorta cheating, as you can't buy a handful of these games anymore. Including MBU, you bastards!

Macca

Is XBLA going to exist as we know it going into the next generation? It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft brings XBLA, Indie Games and retail Games on Demand together.

I'm guessing next gen there will no longer be that 2GB cap for games, so something like Crysis could come out on the arcade instead. But at which price point? Where do they draw the line at direct to digital games going straight to GoD because they want to charge more. Should be really interesting.

Personally I hope it leads to more variable pricing for non AAA titles.

They've done an unbelievable job in just a generation of creaing such an incredible catalog.

I think next gen they should focus on pricing structure, perhaps including subscriptions for their XBLA and Games on demand service.

Because lets face it: There's a ton of money being left on the table due to titles being quite frankly overpriced or being a headache to deal with.

Make XBL 2.0 more comparable to steam. Pre-loading, ability to download while playing an online title (it's 2012, the fact that my scores are uploading themselves after every mission in Ninja Gaiden 2 shouldn't prevent me from downloading a game), etc.

Rlan

According to the leaderboards, yes.

Daytona Leaderboards are strictly for Time Trial stuff, not standard Arcade mode or Online, so it's not exact, and probably a bunch more than that.

Clearly there is a market for XBLA games, people just need to know that they exist! Minecraft is at 2,392,893 players as of today, so clearly the market it there, everyone just needs to push it way better!

Even these Sega Vintage collections, which are awesome, were only acknowledged by Sega the week they were coming out.

gcubed

Think it was just a tongue in cheek dig at PSN, not to be taken serious. Had me laughing as soon as I saw it though.

if it was a dig it would be semi accurate... it was just a stupid post with no reason to even start the comparison in the thread

Gaming on PSN wouldn't exist without XBLA leading the way. Its such a revolutionary service on a console this generation and it has lead to countless games that you would never be able to play on a console without it.

I remember playing Cloning Clyde on the day it launched and thought how cool the service could be when all time titles were built from the ground up for it. Look where we are today. Awesome service and very disappointing that some of GAF try to ignore it.

bjork

51, 52 if Game Room counts. I must admit, I miss the older games showing up. I'd still love to see stuff like Gun.Smoke or Berzerk show up, but I like the newer indie stuff as well.

XBLA is one of several reasons why the 360 is my main. Microsoft's insistence that every single XBLA title have a demo was genius. It's something I hope Sony and Nintendo copy.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If there would be a console with only XBLA and XBLIG titles it would be considered a success

While Microsoft did a lot of things that could've been better regarding these games they definitely did it the best out of all console giants

Jucksalbe

Banned
UK PSN actually has 519 games.

Yeah, well, the way I got to my number was adding all games that are listed under "PS3 A-Z" in the UK store minus the number of full PS3 games on the US store (since the UK doesn't have a dedicated "Full PS3 games" category) minus 25% for additional crap like separate listing of demos and DLC.
Naturally that's a very rough estimate.

i would hope so, its inexcusable at this point to not offer it.

Sadly the route Nintendo has chosen is to not offer a demo with every game, but instead to offer demo limits with the games they do choose to demo. One policy is pro-gamer, the other anti-gamer. Certainly not the actions of a company attempting to "win back the core".

Without the XBLA catalogue, the system would be terrible. Best thing about 360.

Yep, it's a huge part. Also helps that they almost always have the best version of multi-console games, and a great number of exclusive retail titles. It all adds up.

surly

Banned
Without the XBLA catalogue, the system would be terrible. Best thing about 360.
I can't say I agree with that. The 360 has the best install options. It doesn't have massive patches or frequent firmware updates that appear to do nothing. It's been consistent with features like achievements and custom soundtracks from day 1. It has the best online system on a console. It has the best cross-platform game performance overall on a console. It has a bunch of great disc-based exclusives. I really like the controller, D-pad aside.

my biggest peave with PSN was the lack of demos, i dont buy downloadable games blind

I have a no demo no buy policy. I can safely say that I've downloaded every one of those 500 arcade games and tried out their demos and I've skipped many PSN games just because of the lack of a demo.

Top Bottom