• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Izick

Xbox.com says it's 20$, but I don't know if that's the same price as the XBL Dash.

EDIT: Nope, now it's 20$, and that's 10$ too much for me.

I thought the game was kinda cheap in how it extends its length, but I did enjoy it a lot more than Alan Wake, and it's a pretty solid 600MSP
I can understand that but it didn't bother me, maybe because
on subsequent attempts they cut out more and more or had you do different things. That, and conceptually I like the idea of having to try the same thing multiple times to get it right, like Groundhog Day.

Is it worth it? I loved Origins but I heard that 2 was so shitty.

never played dragon age personally, I love ME 1 and found the sequel ok, still need to play single player 3.

Cousin loved dragon age 1 but found 2 was just sloppy, so do a lot of people on gaf.

I can understand that but it didn't bother me, maybe because
on subsequent attempts they cut out more and more or had you do different things. That, and conceptually I like the idea of having to try the same thing multiple times to get it right, like Groundhog Day.

I think that would have been a lot better if it
wasn't so scripted though. Like if you mess up one day you have to do it again and work out what you did wrong. In AN it felt a bit like an excuse to make less areas, because you were still linearly led from A to B like any other game (and then back to A).

As I say though, it's still worth 600pts, for sure.

Ooh, Alien Breed! It's only been on sale once, years ago, and I missed it then. All my friends say it sucks but for 400MSP I'm going to refuse to believe that.

I'm pretty tempted too. 1200 points for the entire trilogy seems a good deal. still, I think I'll try the trials first.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That's what I thought too.

Warlords is the crappy old one, right? Did the new one ever come out?
The new one has a bug that makes the intro loop if you try to run it off a USB drive. So MS pulled the game. I managed to grab the demo before it was removed but I didn't purchase it.

The old one is still quality though.

jgkspsx

I had heard it was terrible? And the rating is 3*. It doesn't look that bad, but I don't know how much fun it would be without three friends/enemies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rocketbowl is so obscure that I had no idea it even existed, and I thought I was pretty well versed in XBLA. It looks pretty good, but has shitty achievements.

I played the demo last year, it's like a really really weird version of minigolf meets bowling. And it's got that ghetto jank UI design and presentation you'd associate with the pre-professional era of XBLA :p

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/05/capcom-arcade-cabinet-will-release-classics-like-ghostsn-goblins-every-other-week/

Capcom Arcade Cabinet kicks off on February 19 on PlayStation Network and February 20 on Xbox Live Arcade. It appears Black Dragon may be released as a free download in Japan. 1943 and Avenger will cost 320 Microsoft Points or 400 yen each. Games will also be released in 800 Microsoft Point / 1,000 yen bundles.

February 19/20
Black Tiger
Avenger

March 5
Ghosts’n Goblins
Gunsmoke
Sector Z

March 19
Legendary Wings
Side Arms
Trojan

April 2
Rush & Crash
Exed Exes
Commando

April 16
Pirate Ship Higemaru
Sonson

$4 a game seems a bit steep.

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Special Forces: Team X - 1200msp, 239MB.

Also,

Guardians of Middle Earth
--Gloin - 160msp

I played the demo last year, it's like a really really weird version of minigolf meets bowling. And it's got that ghetto jank UI design and presentation you'd associate with the pre-professional era of XBLA :p

Yeah, I tried it yesterday and I'm definitely seeing that! It was pretty weird, I think it could have been a lot of fun if you didn't have to wait about 20 seconds between each shot, but as it was it was so slow that I was just praying for it to end by the third shot.

Worth playing the trial just to hear the title being read out, though.

I think the runaway success of Game Room shows that customers are willing to pay prices like this for games they really want to plaaaahahahAHAHAHAHAAAA

Galdelico

I don't really get them... It looks like Microsoft's Game Room or SNKP's NeoGeo Station all over again.
It seems like they don't even care of planning these 'arcades' wisely, but they just want to start from the very beginning each time, maybe with this belief of creating hype and then selling everything with minimum effort. I don't know, I don't think this is the way to go.

Both GR and NGS failed miserably just before things could get actually interesting: I loved and supported both, felt really pleased with the games and emulation but - honestly - I can figure how just a few people nowadays could be interested in Scramble, Asteroids, Pitfall etc. Same thing with NGS: Fatal Fury, SamSho, Metal Slug, Magician Lord... Such classics, sure, but again: really? Why couldn't they just start with Shock Trooper, latest King of Fighters, some Real Bout and then - at a further stage - recover some older title? Gamers get bored by such lame approaches.

Now here you are Capcom, asking me 800MP for... Exed Exes, Commando and Rush and Crash? Seriously?
Am I unreasonable to believe that some mixed-up bundle would have been better? You want to sell me again Son Son and 1943? Fine, you can do it, but why don't you offer me some Hyper Street Fighter II, Muscle Bomber, Strider, Knights of the Round along with them?
I'd pay 1200MP for a Ghosts'n Goblins/Final Fight/X-Men Children of the Atom pack... 800 for Legendary Wings, Side Arms, Trojan and the hope I'll be playing Super Street Fighter II in 2015? Well... Let's talk about it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
$4 Dollars a game, or 3 for $10? Sounds like Pinball Table prices.

Well, I don't have any way to play most of these legitly on my TV / Next-Gen systems, and if they all include some decent netplay potential, leaderboards, and a shell that has nice features (especially if it includes art galleries, trivia for the games, a nice UI, etc, etc), then the meager price isn't all that big a deal.

Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, and Captain Commando 3 pack! The Release AVP and Battle Circuit as seperate 10 dollar downloads that still integrate into the arcade (I don't mind paying a premium, as long as we'd finally have them!)! I'd... really have no problem with this.

Well, this collection so far has disappointed with the announcement of Beat em Ups (ugh), but at least Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds should be announcing it's XBLA release date tomorrow (The 7th), on their official blog.

I don't really get them... It looks like Microsoft's GameRoom or SNKP's NeoGeo Station all over again.
It seems like they don't even care of planning these 'arcades' wisely, but they just want to start from the very beginning each time, maybe with this belief of creating hype and then selling everything with minimum effort. I don't know, I don't think this is the way to go.

Maybe it's the only way they can get these greenlit, or something... It's funny that EVERY collection pretty much starts this way. Maybe it's just much cheaper to get the porter people to work on these older games, rather than more intense games? Or maybe they still believe bigger, more seperate things could be done with the more cherished IPs and iterations?

A 3 pack of "2 old games, plus 1 newer one" would seem much more like a value straight out the gate, and probably foster stronger support. You'd think it'd be marketing 101, making a higher-value bundle that SHOULD cost them roughly the same to produce, but eh...

I'd love for this to become the final destination for Capcom oldschool arcade ports for this generation. I wouldn't mind have a 40 game Capcom Classic Library of hand-picked games, all ready to play at a whim. Lets hope their 2nd half of supposed 30 games has a few nice shockers...

Daigoro

I agree that this capcom thing is very odd and a bit overpriced. probably destined to fail. they refuse to release plenty of games that people would love to buy. hey could make some money off of some of the titles they have been neglecting.

but releasing Gun.Smoke and Section Z are my weakness and I will buy with he quickness.

so many cool titles they refuse to look at though. I just played Willow arcade for he first time in emulation recently. id buy that on xbla in a heartbeat. King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, AvP... the hell Capcom?

and yeah some of these announced titles I wouldn't even consider.

Galdelico

Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, and Captain Commando 3 pack! The Release AVP and Battle Circuit as seperate 10 dollar downloads that still integrate into the arcade (I don't mind paying a premium, as long as we'd finally have them!)! I'd... really have no problem with this.
Me neither!
If only, hey? :D

Maybe it's the only way they can get these greenlit, or something... It's funny that EVERY collection pretty much starts this way. Maybe it's just much cheaper to get the porter people to work on these older games, rather than more intense games? Or maybe they still believe bigger, more seperate things could be done with the more cherished IPs and iterations?

A 3 pack of "2 old games, plus 1 newer one" would seem much more like a value straight out the gate, and probably foster stronger support. You'd think it'd be marketing 101, making a higher-value bundle that SHOULD cost them roughly the same to produce, but eh...

I'd love for this to become the final destination for Capcom oldschool arcade ports for this generation. I wouldn't mind have a 40 game Capcom Classic Library of hand-picked games, all ready to play at a whim. Lets hope their 2nd half of supposed 30 games has a few nice shockers...
This, really.
And the funny thing is that I'll be supporting Arcade Cabinet (assuming it will feature a level of quality at least on par with GR's and NGS') as well as I did with said similar projects: I have a proper soft spot for legit classic gaming on modern systems.

To be fair, I guess 800pts for three retro games is what SEGA charged and I assume they did okay so Capcom probably just stole the pricing from there.

I just don't think these containers work, if they'd released separate XBLA 3-packs at 800pts a piece with 400 achievement points each, they'd be a lot easier to market. People tend to forget that Game Room even exists/existed and this'll suffer the same fate. Week one might sell okay, week five might as well never come out.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Me neither!
If only, hey? :D

This, really.
And the funny thing is that I'll be supporting Arcade Cabinet (assuming it will feature a level of quality at least on par with GR's and NGS') as well as I did with said similar projects: I have a proper soft spot for legit classic gaming on modern systems.

-Nodnod- I love the idea of an integrated infrastructre. I still think the original Namco Museum games were among the best, alongside what Capcom did with Final Fight Double Impact. Gameroom had some great ideas for this (like the free mascots with first week release purchase, the the arcade visitable by friends, plus sending challenges..), and I think features like that really help these collections feel like more than a romdump or a cheap cash-in.

So many ideas left to rot, mostly due to the proper games not being there... eesh.

I just don't think these containers work, if they'd released separate XBLA 3-packs at 800pts a piece with 400 achievement points each, they'd be a lot easier to market. People tend to forget that Game Room even exists/existed and this'll suffer the same fate. Week one might sell okay, week five might as well never come out.

It works for the Pinball tables. Why not for arcade games? I'm sure there's many gamers out there who'd pump more quaters into 2D shooters and BEU's than pinball, y'know? If handled right, it shouldn't be too different a market.

And, as stated above, a properly-developed wrapper should add so much more to the experience than simply stand-alone releases.

If Capcom really wanted to be serious with this, they also have the resources to force it into spme form of success. Such as giving away game bundles with Pre-orders of their big-deal releases, making it Cross-Buy/Save/ Play with Vita on PSN, giving bonuses for buying game packs, including Avatar awards with packs on 360. and running bi-weekly streams to show off the games coming next week. Throw in Megaman Power Battles 1 and 2 to celebrate Megaman's anniversary, and we'd have a nice spread of awareness and promotion that could be run with all year...

Both GR and NGS failed miserably just before things could get actually interesting: I loved and supported both, felt really pleased with the games and emulation but - honestly - I can figure how just a few people nowadays could be interested in Scramble, Asteroids, Pitfall etc. Same thing with NGS: Fatal Fury, SamSho, Metal Slug, Magician Lord... Such classics, sure, but again: really? Why couldn't they just start with Shock Trooper, latest King of Fighters, some Real Bout and then - at a further stage - recover some older title? Gamers get bored by such lame approaches.
The worse part about GR was that only Konami seemed to be porting anything worthwhile there. Me and my friends got a kick out of Kitten Kaboodle, I think I bought two other Konami titles, but that that early 80s stuff wasn't making it.

Does NGS even have a menu as intricate as GR? It just seemed like the old Sega Vintage collection on XBLA/PSN to me. SNK does have the more interesting catalog right off the back, it's just trying to avoid buying the same game over and over...and the difficulty.

Same devs - japanese studio M2 - and same exact menu/settings, which is lovely (dem scanlines, 1:1 screen ratio, region selector...).

I was talking about the ones by backbone...not the ones that came out last year. I'll have to check them out now that I know they're by M2.

Galdelico

I was talking about the ones by backbone...not the ones that came out last year. I'll have to check them out now that I know they're by M2.
Wops, sorry.
Yeah, the newest SEGA Vintage collections (Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Monster World, ToeJam & Earl...) are made by M2 and provide the same settings/options you can find in PSN NeoGeo Station games.

aku:jiki

Alien Breed's not bad but it's not exactly good either... Missions are kinda longwinded and repetetive, and the fetch quests quickly get stupid. It's a spaceship, why the fuck would ventilation ever be turned off? People would kind of die.

Yars Revenge is back and at 400 points... I wonder the reason for delisting and re-listing at a lower price.
Either people are guessing correctly that Atari's trying to squeeze a few bucks out of games they're delisting soon, or it was just supposed to be a permanent reduction and someone fucked up.

Izick

I enjoyed Alan Wake, but I feel like I would have liked it twice as much if I had watched Twin Peaks before playing it for the first time.

So how is that game RAW (Realm of Ancient War or whatever?). I downloaded the demo and the game is ugly as sin and has some really awkward animation, but it seemed like a decent Diablo clone.

Not worth 1200 goddamn points, I'm assuming.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, as promised, the Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds Homepage was updated today, and the release date was announced on the Official Blog.

Release Date: 2/27/2013
Price: 800 MSP

The Homepage Update:
  • Skill Setup and Item were opened and Location was updated, all on the SYSTEM page.
  • Main, Sub and Enemy Character sections were updated on the CHARACTER page.

Boss Of Stage 1>
boss1.gif
monster1.gif
< A unique enemey of later stages.

2 Additional Playable Characters were added to the Sub Character area (Playable in Co Op and VS modes),
Infinity and Nagi Kumon.
It sounds like they're both unlockable secret characters. (Neither seem to be the already-announced future DLC character.)

Videos for the 2:
Infinity:
: Special Moves -- Super Move
Nagi Kumon
: Special Moves -- Super Move
monster3.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Also, more Capcom Arcade Cabinet info released.

Thanks to Lifelower on Twitter for all the translations and collections of said info!

Japanese Trailer for the collection

Screenshots:

Looks just like M2's Sega collections (even has a similiar music player), so that should confirm who'se doing the ports.

The games seem to have lots of Dipswitch settings, Image galleries, some form of history mode detailing each of them, etc.

The demo includes Black Tiger for free. Buying it for 400 MSP also gets you 1943 and Avengers.

Buying a previous pack will unlock the demos for the next games to be released.

Getting all packs will unlock 2 "Bonus" games, which seem to be 1943 Kai and Vulgus, making a total of 17 games from this set.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Youtube Video Upload for PS3, and Facebook Screenshot Upload for Xbox 360. Can aalso expect downloadable replays to watch from leaderboards, and apparently rotating the screen to fit whatever configuration you want (I don't believe the Sega collections allow rotation...)

Also, more Capcom Arcade Cabinet info released.

Thanks to Lifelower on Twitter for all the translations and collections of said info!

Japanese Trailer for the collection

Looks just like M2's Sega collections (even has a similiar music player), so that should confirm who'se doing the ports.

The games seem to have lots of Dipswitch settings, Image galleries, some form of history mode detailing each of them, etc.

The demo includes Black Tiger for free. Buying it for 400 MSP also gets you 1943 and Avengers.

Seems better than I thought. I wasn't enjoying CCC1, because of how the continues were set up. Would you happen to know where that music is from at the 1:07 mark?

Top Bottom