• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

I wonder if those are all the games, or if we can see some things like Akai Katana, Otomedius Excellent, Deathsmiles2 X, or Warriors: Legend of Troy on that list?

He says "over 60 games," and there is 61 on the list. I'd say that's an exhaustive list. There's not many I'm going to buy, probably MGS and Code Veronica and maybe one or two others depending on the price. I'm not paying more than £15 without knowing whether they're forwards compatible. Mostly, I've either played the ones I want or I've got the disk sat here backlogging me up.

Kind of a "fuck you" to Phantom Breaker though, sucks for them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey I like this game a lot :(

But what is there to say about it? Either you like Jigsaw puzzles and want a video game where you do them, or you don't and you don't. Hahaha

He says "over 60 games," and there is 61 on the list. I'd say that's an exhaustive list. There's not many I'm going to buy, probably MGS and Code Veronica and maybe one or two others depending on the price. I'm not paying more than £15 without knowing whether they're forwards compatible. Mostly, I've either played the ones I want or I've got the disk sat here backlogging me up.

That's basically what I'm thinking. Maybe MGS HD, maybe RE4 or CV, that's it, and only if the discounts are good, because I'm considering anything I buy now to be rotting in the near future.

aku:jiki

No :(

I've got 300/300 in Trials HD though, which is probably my hardest completion.
Trials HD is hard but I opted to only include one of them, and the Evo DLC requires you to gold Extreme tracks and platinum everything else, so that wins. I'm never pulling that off. :(

I'm sure Ikaruga and its kind should be on your list. Schizoid is mega hard too, one achievement requires you to play as two ships using the left/right analogue sticks simultaneously and is a total mind-fuck. It's gettable if you cheat but only Superman could get it legit.
I don't have Schizoid so I can't comment on it, but I don't think Ikaruga is that hard really. It's mostly just a memory puzzle, not so much a twitch shooter. Triggerheart Exelica can be cheated, like you can get the "finish without dying" achievement on easy and the "beat in one credit" achievement by raising the amount of starting lives. Strania is the only truly hard shmup IMO.

There are a bunch of games that would be insane-level difficult if it wasn't so easy to cheat, like Exit for example, or even Quarrel.
Wait, wait, how do you cheat in Exit? That's one of the game that haunts me because I cannot get into it enough to finish it.

Stumpokapow said:
Wasn't Smash TV also impossible, owing to an issue with the Level 100 achievement?
Yeah, but I didn't include any glitched achievements, Asteroids achievements are supposed to be unlockable but they made the requirements waaaaay too hard. Other incompletable games due to glitches are Hole in the Wall, Lucha Fury, Fire Pro Wrestling and Special Forces: Team X (though that still has a chance of being patched).

Also didn't include elusive completions like Soltrio Solitaire, for example, because that's not difficult, it's just that 1 or 2 of the solitaire variants are nothing but luck and only like 1/1000 attempts is even possible to win. That's not difficulty, it's just dumb.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hole in the Wall has glitching? I just find it too hard to finish, ahahah. Oh yes, I see there's a 0 point "platinum" achievement that doesn't work, LOLLLL

Trials HD is hard but I opted to only include one of them, and the Evo DLC requires you to gold Extreme tracks and platinum everything else, so that wins. I'm never pulling that off. :(

I think Marathon is probably harder, in its own way. It requires skill and concentration over a sustained period and is incredibly difficult to achieve.

Platinums are hard too, but you only need one perfect-ish run per track which'll take about 30 seconds, and you can use replays on the leaderboards for advice on lines and bike choice, too. Still hard, obviously, but there's more room for error than there is in HD where you can make one tiny mistake on the 20th track and everything you've done was for nothing! In HD, it's all you, there's no help.

Not that I ever expect to get platinums, tbh, but I'll try :lol

Wait, wait, how do you cheat in Exit? That's one of the game that haunts me because I cannot get into it enough to finish it.

Cheating in that I assume all the solutions are on Youtube, you'd still have to perform them but the hard part in Exit is working them out. I'm half way through that game, I should really go back sometime. It was getting way too hard though!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Today's demos:

Bang Bang Racing: Top-down racer, vibrant cartoony graphics, didn't really seem all that deep or catch my attention that much, noticed the sound was a little loud and annoying (F1 style loud engine roars)

Battlezone: This is a classic? Boy, it's pretty terrible. I get that wireframe 3d was crazy ahead of its time, but it's not a good or enjoyable game. Demo lasts less than a minute, so you won't be buying it unless you were planning on buying it anyway.

Discs of Tron: Executes well enough on its premise, which is cool, but you only get a few levels worth of play in the demo so it's difficult for me to figure out what the skill ceiling is. I enjoyed this well enough, I think I would have bought it for 200/240 MSP.

Galaga Legions: As far as HD remixes go, this seemed neat enough. Very good look, lots of action going on screen. I love the little neon lines that whoosh through the screen, giving you advance warning for where the enemies are going to go. I could definitely see myself buying this for the right price.

Mad Riders: Ubisoft-published ATV riding game. Decent production values, with a pretty elaborate menu system. I could easily see this being a retail titles last generation. I liked racing well enough, but to tell you the truth, maybe I'm used to super arcadey games, but the trick system didn't do much for me in part because it didn't feel as nimble or easy to pull off crazy tricks as I like.

Madden NFL Arcade: So, wait, EA has two arcade NFL games? My instinct is that NFL Blitz is the better of the two, but it's also $5 more expensive. I had a good time with this, but I didn't see many options or plays, it felt a bit barebones.

R-Type Dimensions: Wow, this was great. Really really crisp, clean graphics in the updated mode, while maintaining the 2d original graphics. One-button switching between the two graphical modes. And it's a good shoot-em-up, I remember playing and enjoying Super R-Type a long time ago. I actually went to buy this before I realized it was $15. Yeah, I don't think so.

Star Trek DAC: Terrible, mushy-feeling arena combat game loosely set in the Star Trek universe. The demo mode limits the kind of ships you can choose which basically guarantees you'll get wiped out again and again. The level design didn't seem great, the radar isn't super functional, you lose your powerups when you die and respawn but to get new ones you need to wander around the map until you see them or find an asteroid to blow up so your urge to "get back in the action" when you die is immediately snuffed out. Graphics aren't great either. When I booted the game (100MB) up, I got prompted to download 250MB worth of free DLC. It didn't mention if the free DLC worked for the demo, so I didn't bother, but this is a really weird and dumb strategy for making a game.

Toy Soldiers: I really loved all the thought that went into the presentation here. Everything really does feel like you're playing with Toy Soldiers. As a tower defence game, though, the demo didn't do a lot for me. It felt like an action-tower defence (like Orcs Must Die, where you need to take direct control fairly frequently)... but I never really got into the action. I also hated the biplane controls. I could definitely see myself playing a little more of it if I finished other tower defence games. Is the sequel sufficiently differentiated that I need to try the demo for it?

Tron: I only remembered the light cycle game. I had no idea there were three other games. All three of the other games are very weird. One involves you killing enemies and going to a goal space. One involves you shooting a moving wall and going to a goal space. And one involves you being a tank in a Pac-Man maze and killing another tank. The weird thing is the aiming--you use the right stick to aim, but rather than aiming at where you want to shoot, you press left to rotate your aim counter-clockwise and right to rotate it clockwise... so you basically need to be actively managing your aiming all the time. Would have loved to be able to just play the light-cycle game. Also I had to download this through a Bing Xbox search since I couldn't find it in the alphabetical list A-Z. Weird, huh? Oh also I loved the fact that the font and text and stuff had a very consistent presentation with Discs of Tron, that was nice.

Tour de France 2009: First things first, I know nothing about cycling. At all. My first objective was to play as Lance Armstrong so I could make hilarious jokes, but he wasn't licensed for the game. So I picked a team of randoms. I immediately told all my guys to "attack", which I assumed meant trying to nerf other riders off the road. Then I told them to give "100%" effort for a while. For about the first 2/3rds of the race I had the top three riders, but then my guys became sad sacks and ran out of energy and got overtaken a bunch. I enjoyed frantically button-mashing to get my guys up the final stretch of ascending road. There was an option called "relay" but I couldn't figure out what that did at all. It seems like the strategy for long-distance cycling is NOT to get to get in the front at the very beginning of the race, but rather pace yourself. I couldn't tell what I was doing half the time because there were tons of UI elements and nothing was explained. I do wonder, though, why is this basically the worst-voted game on XBLA? Sure it's pretty lame and barebones, and it's a little ugly, but is that so bad? If you like cycling, this seems like it would be okay. I just read IGN's review and it basically consisted of "I don't know anything about cycling how does this work" and then he complains that controls suck when you take direct control of your cyclists--I didn't even know you could do that, and I'm still not sure you can.

Warlords (original, not remake): So imagine Arkanoid, only there are four paddles each given a corner of the screen, and each player also has their own bricks, and you need to blast the other players bricks, and bricks regenerate over time. This seemed a little hectic to me, and also a little dull given I was competing against computers.

Wing Commander Arena: A terrible arena shooter. Nothing to do with Wing Commander, ugly presentation makes it feel like an N64 game, terrible camera that clips through obstacles at most camera angles, empty crummy map design, unsatisfying weapons.

Yie-Ar Kung Fu: I admit I enjoyed this. It's an obviously shallow 1-on-1 super early fighting game. But I like the nice backgrounds (are they updated for this release?) and sprites and the different characters you fight against. I'd actually really consider buying this, and it'd be cool to play on XBL or something against a human player. I'd pay $3 for this.

Zombie Apocalypse: Soulless mindless survive-as-long-as-you-can top-down arena twin-stick shooter with a zombie theme. Within the demo you get the same two levels repeating. Weapons don't feel great, enemies are a little bullet spongey, levels are small. Why do they make so many stupid zombie games?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Mad Riders was actually originally a retail game released in 2011 called Nail'd. They added the cel shading and put it on XBLA a year later.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Yaris, lol. I kind of want to get some more achievements. I strive for at least 50% in all the games I play and I'm at 25%, but it's just so bad. Like, I know everyone said it was bad but if you actually play it for any period of times you'll realise it's worse than you even remember. It's just inept in about every single area. Anyone want to play co-op to get some achievements?
Shoot me a PM and I can see what I can do.

lol, I don't think I should subject anyone to that, really.

Today's demos:

Bang Bang Racing: Top-down racer, vibrant cartoony graphics, didn't really seem all that deep or catch my attention that much, noticed the sound was a little loud and annoying (F1 style loud engine roars)

This game does some really nice stuff, like the track design. There's like a cutesy version of Monaco but you can still recognise the corners and it's really cool. I kinda liked it, but it's not amazing or anything, and it has a really stupid achievement for beating a time trial on every track with every car, but it doesn't tell you anywhere whether or not you've beaten the car/track combo you're looking at.

Tron's aiming is weird because the arcade game used a dial controller. I vaguely remember an option to make it aim in the direction the stick is pointing, though.

Jhoan

Today's demos:

Galaga Legions: As far as HD remixes go, this seemed neat enough. Very good look, lots of action going on screen. I love the little neon lines that whoosh through the screen, giving you advance warning for where the enemies are going to go. I could definitely see myself buying this for the right price.

R-Type Dimensions: Wow, this was great. Really really crisp, clean graphics in the updated mode, while maintaining the 2d original graphics. One-button switching between the two graphical modes. And it's a good shoot-em-up, I remember playing and enjoying Super R-Type a long time ago. I actually went to buy this before I realized it was $15. Yeah, I don't think so.

Toy Soldiers: I really loved all the thought that went into the presentation here. Everything really does feel like you're playing with Toy Soldiers. As a tower defence game, though, the demo didn't do a lot for me. It felt like an action-tower defence (like Orcs Must Die, where you need to take direct control fairly frequently)... but I never really got into the action. I also hated the biplane controls. I could definitely see myself playing a little more of it if I finished other tower defence games. Is the sequel sufficiently differentiated that I need to try the demo for it?

Since I've noticed you've been trying a ton of Namco games lately, I would recommend you check out Namco Museum Virtual Arcade to yourself a ton of money. I personally bought it when it was in the bargain bin at Toys R' Us for 10 bucks and don't regret it.

It also has a ton of old Namco games (that don't have Achievements; only the XBLA ones do). It can be bought for dirt cheap off eBay. The only downside is that if you play an XBLA game, it'll kick you out to the dashboard instead of back to the game's main menu which was a stupid choice.

R-Type Dimensions is one of the many $15 games that has never been on sale and has been on XBLA for years. I do agree $15 is too steep for it. Hopefully, Microsoft will come to their sense put all these old games on sale.

I have both Toy Soldiers games and enjoyed them immensely. It is an action Tower Defense game in that you take direct control of units. I hated the Orcs Must Die demo. The difference between the sequel is that it's more like COD in that you get random Kill Streaks e.g. Air strikes, AC130 bombing strikes, etc.

You also control a Rambo character which is pretty bad ass. The original game has more content and DLC that's very tongue-in-cheek. I also feel like Cold War is a much shorter game than the original. Cold War has a co-op campaign as well. There's a mode in which you have to take direct control of the units (instead of being on auto pilot like the other modes).

Keep up the impressions. I love reading them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Since I've noticed you've been trying a ton of Namco games lately, I would recommend you check out Namco Museum Virtual Arcade to yourself a ton of money. I personally bought it when it was in the bargain bin at Toys R' Us for 10 bucks and don't regret it.

Thanks for the heads up. There seem to have been a number of XBLA compilation discs released over the years that I've missed, so I'll see if I can bargain bin some of them.

R-Type Dimensions is one of the many $15 games that has never been on sale and has been on XBLA for years. I do agree $15 is too steep for it. Hopefully, Microsoft will come to their sense put all these old games on sale.

I mean, I know a lot of these smaller devs and pubs don't have a dedicated product manager to do ongoing sales and stuff, but you think they'd at least have someone who could sign off on including the games during Christmas sales or whatever.

Keep up the impressions. I love reading them.

Thanks. I think I have a few more days worth of games to play, but I'm actually getting pretty close to the point where I've played everything ahahha. I hope it's kept the thread alive a little bit and it's neat to see people talk about games they haven't touched in years.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

It also has a ton of old Namco games (that don't have Achievements; only the XBLA ones do). It can be bought for dirt cheap off eBay. The only downside is that if you play an XBLA game, it'll kick you out to the dashboard instead of back to the game's main menu which was a stupid choice.

Namco Collection: For the classic games, it makes the grevious error of DISABLING 2P FUNCTION IN ALL GAMES, even those that clearly allow for it. So everything flashes "Push 2P START!" but it's impossible. I like the collection otherwise, but this truly lowers it's actual value, to me.

R-Type Dimensions: It's only been on 1 deal which was the "Buy an XBLA Family pack, get an arcade game for FREE!" promotion, if I remember right. I wish it and Raystorm would go on sale / permanent price drops, because I'd happily welcome both onto my 360. I actually quite liked what Tozai games pulled off with R-Type and their Pitfall game on XBLA.

Yie-Ar Kung Fu: purchased this... probably back when it came out on XBLA? It is fun, in an "Alt version of Kung Fu on NES" style way, lol. Surprised it doesn't come on Konami's 2 XBLA Classics disk releases...

jgkspsx

Discs of Tron

Tron

Audio is horribly wrong on both of these. I have no idea what they did. But the music was always a highlight for me. TRON is one of my favorite games and the physical arcade machine I've left high scores on the most to boot. I think I've only ever gotten to FORTRAN, though.

Gaspode_T

Yeah I can pretty much confirm that the reason some games never go on sale is literally because the publisher doesn't ask for it. Stupidity, de-prioritization of Xbox 360 platform versus mobile games, lack of resources to worry about previously released games, there are lots of reasons that could happen.

So I recommend anyone that cares about games like the Japanese ones going on sale to find a way to bug community managers or people in positions to bubble up feedback about it (if it is a company like Sega or Capcom they have lots of people on Twitter). Many companies compile feedback they receive on Twitter or via e-mail and then it will eventually get reviewed and sometimes action taken upon...chances of influencing a change are still kind of small :p

Capcom Arcade impressions - damn Black Tiger is way harder than I remember! The jumping is harsh - recommend to go into this game with patience and not expect it to be easy going. There were some Japanese guys I follow on twitter posting images of killing the final boss(es?) so I know it is possible to do...I am kind of annoyed the individual game achievement points are low compared to let us say the individual table points of Pinball FX2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Today's demos

All Zombies Must Die: Cartoony top-down twin stick zombie shooter. This one is a little more polished than the others I've played, which I think reflects the way the genre has gotten saturated over a few years. I liked having an actual objective besides survival, I didn't really like that zombies took multiple shotgun shots.

Backbreaker Vengeance: This is so cool, why do I like this?! It's a football game where you can't play football. Instead you have three arcade style mini-games set in a football arena full of fans. One involves dodging tacklers and getting to the end-zone, one involves tackling a runner while dodging tacklers, and the third one wasn't unlocked in the demo. Really beautiful presentation, great physics, and I loved basically solving "puzzles" of trying to run over point zones while still completing my objective. Also there are showboating buttons, which if you press before you get into the endzone help you rack up big points but slow you down and leave you vulnerable to tackling. I had such a good time with this.

Faery: Legends of Avalon You play a fairy. You fly (flying controls are quite good, I thought) in a sort of small but open ARPG world. I really liked the world design. And then when you run into enemies, you start fighting in the world's most basic and slow turn-based jRPG battle system. The dialog is crummy and a poor man's version of a BioWare good/evil dialogue wheel (when you pick good dialogue, the game literally says "<the person you're talking to> loves you a little more"). When I finished the demo, I thought "This has got to be 400 points, I'm totally buying it even though the combat sucks"... and then it was 600 points for some reason. I'll pick it up on a sale.

Gel: Set & Match: This is a block puzzler with nice presentation--the right stick makes your character, some sort of anteater, dance--and some pretty novel mechanics. You need to push or throw blocks to make combinations of at least four blocks of the same colour... but you can also kick a block across the field, and if it brushes past other blocks to make the combination, it keeps moving but after a few seconds all the blocks involved including the one you kicked will be eliminated. But this allows you to chain combos by using the same block in multiple sets. There's also a mode where the screen scrolls left-to-right as a bulldozer chases you. If the bulldozer gets any blocks, you lose or lose points or something, so you need to eliminate the blocks as you go. Be careful not to make combinations of 4 and then find out that there's one remaining leftover block, because you'll have to sling it with you until you get to another set of the same colour. I liked this, but I think after Polar Panic I'm pretty much done with block puzzlers so I didn't buy it.

Golf Tee It Up: A clean, nice looking golf game. Features the three-click control scheme and cartoony non-avatar characters. Only had a few courses. I had a good time on the courses I played but it didn't really grab me.

Gyromancer: This had a bad tutorial but I heard it's a better game than Puzzle Quest. Basically it's Puzzle Quest with a Bejeweled Twist mechanic instead of a Bejeweled mechanic, and it's Square Enix and Popcap working together. Like I said, bad tutorial. 1200 msp. Would pay 400 msp to try.

Hard Corps Uprising: Contra with anime graphics, multiple characters, and purchasable upgrades. I had a really great time with this. I haven't played a real Contra-like since Contra 4, I think (unless you count the original Rush'n Attack that I reviewed above). My first run through of the demo I game over'd, which is pretty pathetic. I then used the cash I had accumulated--the demo accumulates cash at a 10x rate so you can demo all the unlocks--to buy a bunch of unlocks, including extra health bars. My second run through of the demo I got through it without dying once. I'm not sure if my performance improved, the unlocks made it easier, or both. I will definitely buy this the next time it goes on sale. I don't have a hope in hell of getting 200/200 on this.

Jeremy McGrath's Offroad: It's an off-road game. It looks decent. It had a weird scoring system--you get points for destroying fences and signs, but the game never tells you this so ordinarily you try to avoid them. It was a little weird that when I drove through the desert, I drove right through cactuses and stuff without damaging them, made the game feel like an old N64 game, clipping through scenery. Controls felt tight. Who is Jeremy McGrath? I liked that just like real offroading I had a voice telling me about upcoming turns. I assumed the voice was Jeremy McGrath. But then I passed him in the race, so he can't be in two places at once... or can he? There are multiple classes of vehicle but they're all locked in the demo. I was a little disappointed that only one track was available, I checked the list and the other ones look very interesting. I was more interested in this than I thought I'd be, but not enough to buy it.

Missile Command: Boy, this sucks. A lot. I'm not sure what I was expecting. I thought the aiming worked differently than it did. The updated graphics are absolutely repulsive, and you for some reason shoot chain lightning (!! from your Tesla Coils?!?) at the oncoming bombs. Classic mode is also available, and much less repulsive. This and Battlezone have been the two weakest classic arcade games I've played during this project.

Moon Diver: I'm not really sure how to classify this one. It's a Square Enix published game developed by feelplus (technical devs for Lost Odyssey, devs of Mindjack). It's a 2d side-scrolling action platformer where you mostly have melee attacks, so it's not quite a Contra-style game. The combat isn't robust enough to call it a beat-em-up or a combo brawler. It's got a dark style. It's got really really repetitive enemies. You can level up but it's not really clear what levelling up does. The level was very very long, too long. I especially hated that every minute or two I'd be stuck in a little combat arena which spawned hundreds of the same kind of butterfly enemy or standard standing-still grunt. The enemy variety sucked and the enemy AI sucked. The music was grating power-metal type stuff, and it was mixed way too loud; the volume setting I used for every other game basically blew out my ears in this game. So despite the fact that I've said nothing but negative stuff about the game, when I got to the end of the demo I kinda felt like purchasing it. Greater than the sum of its parts?

Rocketmen Axis of Evil: Top-down twin-stick shooter where you can play as Captain Planet (at least that's who I played as!). Comic book style story presentation which droned on and on. Not particularly engaging, definitely not the best of the top-down twin-stick shooters I've played.

Scrap Metal: Top-down racing game with a variety of modes. This was great. Controls felt great, graphics were great, seems to have a ton of content, I can see it getting pretty challenging, the different modes felt great. Actually at some points it almost felt like Blast Corps, which is a very good thing indeed. Loved being able to unlock and upgrade different cars. Would have bought at 800 msp, it was 1200 msp.

Tecmo Bowl Throwback: It's a very authentic 3d remake of Tecmo Bowl. So authentic that you can press a button and drop to 2d mode seamlessly. I love how switching transitions from 16:9 to 4:3 without impacting the gameplay. So, very good job on the remake. I don't particularly like the game though. Definitely the least playable least enjoyable football game I've played on XBLA.

The Warriors: SB: Terrible 2d-with-3d-models side-scrolling beat-em-up. No combat depth, overlong and boring levels, ugly models that take up way too much of the screen. Really didn't like this.

TNT Racers: Top-down cartoony racer. It played pretty well but there's a weird design decision--if a car leaves the screen, it is immediately killed/eliminated. So winning doesn't require completing a segment, it mostly just requires getting enough ahead of other cars to win. Sometimes segments would end in like 3 seconds. And every event is first to <x> points, so you play the same segment 4-5 times minimum. I did kind of like the powerups, the oil slick and smoke spray were particularly satisfying.

Vigilante 8 Arcade: Vigilante 8 was always a poor man's Twisted Metal. This is a poor man's Twisted Metal. Enemies have too much health, the levels are too big. There's no satisfying way to get behind an enemy and shoot him-- you basically need to run away from enemies and just spam the hell out of your weapon. If you pick up, say, rockets, you'll get like 20+ of them so you end up just wailing on the fire button the second an enemy is in your sights. Has a sort of 60s vibe to it. Didn't enjoy.

The Watchmen: The End is Nigh: This is a very visually slick 3d beat-em-up with fairly simple combat and basically no collectibles. The demo had a 30 minute timer but cut me off when I still had 18 minutes left (I guess I got to the end of the demo zone?). You play as Rorschach or Nite Owl--who would pick Nite Owl? You fight endless hordes of identical dudes. The characters quip over the action, but there's none of the writing or politics of the original or the film. Locations were repetitive and pretty simple. Despite this, I enjoyed it enough to pick it up. I remember seeing the PS3 version of BOTH Watchmen games + the movie on blu-ray at a Blockbuster for 4.99 used a number of years ago, so I figured this would be 400 points, being only half the game. Nope. 800 points? Nope. 1600 points. For half a game. What the hell.

Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3: This is apparently a sequel to a series I never played. It's a top-down twin-stick shooter. It was better than Rocketmen and had nice menu design. Shooting felt pretty good, but the vehicle segment in the demo was terrible with awful controls. Didn't pique my interest enough to buy it.

Wrecked: Revenge Revisited: So it has come to this. The worst demo on Xbox Live Arcade. Wrecked: Revenge Revisited is a car racing game where the objective is to wreck your opponents. The single player mode is not available in the demo. The multiplayer mode is dead. Thankfully, I have more time than common sense, so I decided to host a multiplayer game. After 10 minutes or so, a random wandered in, so I started a match. At first we raced a little bit, but he ended up machine-gunning me to death and scored a point. It's first to 10 or something, so we went again. This time neither of us really raced at all, both just trying to get weapons powerups and turning around and shooting each other. I got him. The next time he spawned near a powerup and I didn't, so I drove off. The second I got more than a screen separation from him, he died. All subsequent matches he kept going for powerups and I didn't. I won 11-1 or 10-1 or whatever. Now... is this a good game? I don't know. But based on the experience you just read about, would you have bought it?

Zombie Wranglers: Very crummy 3d open-world-ish zombie hunting and ghostbusting game. Stiff controls. Enemies have no AI and mostly rely on swarming you. The world is kind of gross looking. I hate the way you move. There is basically no response either on your side or the enemy side to being hurt so it feels very half-baked. I think this is a relic of devs trying to do a 3d game during the days where the development constraints on XBLA made it impossible to do a 3d game.

Audio is horribly wrong on both of these. I have no idea what they did. But the music was always a highlight for me. TRON is one of my favorite games and the physical arcade machine I've left high scores on the most to boot. I think I've only ever gotten to FORTRAN, though.

LOL Backbone

Any tips for the tank level? Playing the demo I had no trouble mastering the first level of the other three events, but the tank level is very tough for me. Even when I manage to shoot the other tank, he shoots me at the same time. There's no way to hide. :/

Gyromancer: This had a bad tutorial but I heard it's a better game than Puzzle Quest. Basically it's Puzzle Quest with a Bejeweled Twist mechanic instead of a Bejeweled mechanic, and it's Square Enix and Popcap working together. Like I said, bad tutorial. 1200 msp. Would pay 400 msp to try.

This game is incredible. Well worth the money, as well, because there's loads of hours in it. The thing it's got over Puzzle Quest is that you're always in control. In Puzzle Quest you can lose because your opponent just gets all the good drops and yours are shit, and there's nothing you can do. In Gyromancer, it's all you, and your opponent only acts based on what you're doing, so you can prevent them doing so with good play. There's still an element of luck, but it's infinitesimally smaller than Puzzle Quest.

Galdelico

Today's demos

Moon Diver: I'm not really sure how to classify this one. It's a Square Enix published game developed by feelplus (technical devs for Lost Odyssey, devs of Mindjack). It's a 2d side-scrolling action platformer where you mostly have melee attacks, so it's not quite a Contra-style game. The combat isn't robust enough to call it a beat-em-up or a combo brawler. It's got a dark style. It's got really really repetitive enemies. You can level up but it's not really clear what levelling up does. The level was very very long, too long. I especially hated that every minute or two I'd be stuck in a little combat arena which spawned hundreds of the same kind of butterfly enemy or standard standing-still grunt. The enemy variety sucked and the enemy AI sucked. The music was grating power-metal type stuff, and it was mixed way too loud; the volume setting I used for every other game basically blew out my ears in this game. So despite the fact that I've said nothing but negative stuff about the game, when I got to the end of the demo I kinda felt like purchasing it. Greater than the sum of its parts?

I always overlooked at this game but - as well as you - I recently tried the demo and kinda fell in love with it: I'll probably get it next time I'll buy some points.

If I remember correctly, Moon Diver comes from the same designer of Strider and Osman.

Sorry to tread here, but I just downloaded the Youtube update today on XBL. Saw a nice program to pair Youtube with my Android phone. Really digging this- makes my chatpad obsolete now as this was what I used it for the most.

vixlar

Sorry to tread here, but I just downloaded the Youtube update today on XBL. Saw a nice program to pair Youtube with my Android phone. Really digging this- makes my chatpad obsolete now as this was what I used it for the most.
That option to control Xbox YouTube from your smartphone is great.

Btw, what does the new update brings?

jgkspsx

Any tips for the tank level? Playing the demo I had no trouble mastering the first level of the other three events, but the tank level is very tough for me. Even when I manage to shoot the other tank, he shoots me at the same time. There's no way to hide. :/
You are rotating your turret with the right stick, right? Shots take time to travel, and bounce around. The tank levels are pretty easy to beat by just bouncing shots in hallways that the enemy tank is going for. Of course, stay away from straightaways if the enemy tank is close.

I have not come up with a good strategy for the 8+ smarter tanks of later levels, other than prayer and mortification of the body. The arcade's awesome weighted spinner helps a lot, but still it's crazy hard. I have no idea what the game looks like by the time you get to Pascal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You are rotating your turret with the right stick, right? Shots take time to travel, and bounce around. The tank levels are pretty easy to beat by just bouncing shots in hallways that the enemy tank is going for. Of course, stay away from straightaways if the enemy tank is close.

They bounce?!?! Well that makes things easier.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Today's demos:
0 Day Attack on Earth: It's a top-down arena based twin stick where you fight large monsters that pop up over Google Map maps of New York and two other cities in the full game. Each level is one day in the alien invasion. You need to destroy a few large monsters to continue, but there are many small ones on the map--you kill the small ones to get score points and to power up your gun to make it easier to take on the big ones. You can choose from a wide variety of planes that each have different gun upgrade paths. I didn't find it difficult and was able to finish the full week in the demo without dying. The frustrating thing is that many of the monsters, particularly the low level ones, are basically designed to waste your time. Also swaths of the map get covered in purple ooze clouds which hurt you. This would be okay except you move very slowly by default and too quickly when you use the boost button. So you either dredge through the level at a snail's pace or race through and probably smack into a wall of purple stuff. I didn't hate this, but if I can identify design problems in a demo and you're already part of a genre I don't much care about...

Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe: Another Atari port. The updated visuals are fine. The difference between Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe appears to be a slight control change and the addition of a shield button and the removal of the teleport function. I'm guessing they included both because there's debate in the fan community over which mechanics set is better.

Bellator MMA Onslaught: I know MMA is complicated but I wish someone would make an MMA game with simple controls instead of 8000 contextual controls required to do effective grappling. I did have fun making a guy fight himself (only two characters are available in the demo and you can have both players pick the same guy). STOP HITTING YOURSELF, STOP HITTING YOURSELF. I can't really comment on if this was a good game--the 47 Metacritic suggests it isn't. Oh, I did like that when someone had me in some sort of floor grapple I could still punch the crap out of him.

Dig Dug: It's Dig Dug. I don't think the controls work that well since the 360 dpad leaves something to be desired. I think if I was going to buy this I'd definitely go for the Namco Museum disc recommended earlier instead of just buying it here.

Dogfighter 1942: It's a dogfighting game set in 1942. I like that when you have an enemy in your crosshairs, time can slow down a little to let you finish him off. I also like that the default aiming crosshairs takes into account leading distance, so when you point near a target it shows you where to aim to hit them. When you finish a mission, you need to land your plane again, and I feel like the tutorial and first mission didn't much explain how to do this... I put my throttle on minimum, gradually nosed down, waiting for the landing gear to descend, etc. But still in the second mission, after landing and stopping, my plane blew up. I think Snoopy fills my need for a plane game to be honest.

Metal Slug XX: It's Metal Slug. The animations continue to be a high point. I remember renting Metal Slug 3 for PS1 and quarter-feeding my way to the end and then going back and trying again and dying just a few less times. I totally get the appeal. And who doesn't love the bearded dude captives? I see that Metal Slug XX is a PSP->XBLA port of a DS->PSP remake of Metal Slug 7, which I haven't played before. The demo level seemed fine. Very weird main menu UI.

Sega Bass Fishing: I know this is a classic arcade game, but it's a bit of a mess here. Confusing UI, no tutorial or controls guide by default, the presentation of the main menu is very ugly. I did hook a 19 pound bass though, putting me at #1 on the local in-game leaderboards. In real life I've never caught a 19 pound fish. I did catch a trout once that was a fair size, maybe 7 or 8 pounds. I don't really like trout that much though so I can't remember if we ate it or gave it away.

Shrek n Roll: Terrible. It's a shrek themed, uh, puzzle-ish arcade-ish game. There's a tower. You start at the first floor with, like, a windowcleaner's platform. You can raise either end of the platform independently. There's a ball in the middle that rolls back and forth according to the angle. There are voids in the building that you must avoid, coins to pick up, and shrill, hideous looking baby-Shreks that you need to deliver the ball to? Let me be real clear. I think Shrek is a crummy movie. I've never seen the sequels, but by all accounts they're worse. This is a dumb idea for a game, and it's presented terribly. I can't believe Mike Meyers, Cameron Diaz, and Eddie Murphy are banking literally tens of millions a year off this series. There are plenty of better candidates for a sly, subversive, jokes-for-adults kids program--the Spielberg stuff of the 90s (Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freakazoid) would be a great place to start.

Skydrift: It's an arcadey flying racing game. It reminded me a little bit of Sonic racing, I think because of the level design of the level in the demo and because of the bright colours. I liked the risk-reward element of getting boost by flying low to the ground. In general I found the game a little too forgiving for non head-on collisions (you can hit the ground fairly easily without being punished in any way). It had a good sense of speed, and I liked being able to sell garbage powerups for more boost; more games need that, I hate when you accidentally pick up crummy powerups in kart games. 1200 msp was too steep though, especially given that online is almost certainly dead.

Star Raiders: Space fighter sim. TIE Fighter is one of my favourite games of all time, so I'm not ignorant to the genre. First problem with this one: The game uses about an 8 pt font for all its text. Second problem, I'm pretty sure all you do is shoot stuff. I had an okay time taking down a capital ship in one of the tutorials. Also I had a weird controls thing. In the first few tutorials it felt like I had direct control over the plane in a traditional aiming system (nose up, nose down, left turn, right turn), but at one point the controls seemed to magically switch to roll-pitch-yaw and I never felt like I had direct control after that. I don't know if I pressed a setting or something or I hallucinated the good controls to begin with. It was weird.

The Watchmen: The End is Nigh 2: It's like the Watchmen The End is Nigh 1. It's a good looking beat-em-up with limited combat depth, this time NO collectibles, samey environments and enemies, and iffy writing. This time instead of a 30 minute demo timer, it's a 15 minute demo timer. I finished with 5 minutes left. The game is also $15 instead of $20. I went ahead and bought a retail copy of the two games for $7 on Amazon, for a savings of $38.

Worms Ultimate Mayhem: It's Worms 3d+Worms 4 (Mayhem). I think there's a lot of things that work about Worms in 3D. The weapons and movement translate well, the levels are pretty neat. I will say that the game feels slower in 3D. Also, while the voices and looks of Worms in the first few games were cute (I remember recording my own Worms voices for... Armageddon? when I was a teenager), they need to stop aggressively doubling down by making games that are more and more about those presentational flourishes and less about the game. I still think it's a lazy series and Team17 is pretty crummy when they repackage older releases or release newer titles with less content than previous releases. I would consider buying this for $5 or less. I think I own this on PC.

YuGiOh: I have never watched or played Yugioh. I don't like anime, and I haven't played a CCG since Magic circa 2003 or so. I think CCGs are fatally flawed in terms of their business model (this game has an assload of downloadable card packs). I prefer DBGs--deck building games--where every player has a standard starting deck or draws from a standard central set of cards. So, first impressions, the presentation in this game is just awful. I played through about 2/3rds of the lengthy, endless tutorials, and while game mechanics (which are pretty simple) made sense, I still didn't have a damn clue what was going on in the game. Opponents play cards that have huge effects and you have no idea what's going on. You need to manually move between phases of the turn. It's clearly made for people who have already played Yugioh and already know all the cards. I also don't think Yugioh is a particularly strong game. My impression is that a match typically does a whole lot of nothing until one person gets a trap or monster card that can end the game in one or two turns. Then you either draw cards to block it, or you die. Also, the limit of playing one monster per turn (and with no summoning requirements for low-level monsters, and only sacrificing for high level monsters) and an apparent lack of cards for the purpose of deck searching or playing monsters using spells to get around the one-per-turn limit is pretty crummy. Some of these problems may stem from the default deck. This is about all the energy I have for Yugioh. I am not going to buy this.

Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone: It's the sequel to the ACCLAIMED Zombie Apocalypse. This time it's four player (3 AIs if you play single player) and some of the levels allow you to move through them instead of single screening. As a game design, I think those changes make it more engaging than just an arena survival game. On the other hand, all four of the character designs are terrible. You know why Left 4 Dead works? The characters all have good visual design and limited anything else, so you can either view them as blank canvases or imbue your own personality in them. In ZA:NDA, the four characters are shrill and annoying. One is a young guy who speaks exclusively in internet catchphrases ("I'm just trolling you noob, press the pwnage button to pwn!!!!") and a mild speech impediment like he has braces or is chewing on rocks while speaking. One is an old guy who is a priest ("Gosh darn it! Please exit the body you're inhabiting! Thank God!"). I didn't play as the other two. This is stupid. The catchphrases repeat multiple times per level. This is so annoying. I still felt like levels were pretty non-interactive and weapons lacked the satisfying kick I wanted.

I also went back and played some more Geometry Wars 1 and Wik: The Fable of Souls--I haven't played the latter in literally 5 years, so that was pretty neat.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Today's demos:
Shrek n Roll: Terrible. It's a shrek themed, uh, puzzle-ish arcade-ish game.

I remember getting this for free somehow. It's not good by any stretch of the imagination.

The Watchmen: The End is Nigh 2: It's like the Watchmen The End is Nigh 1. It's a good looking beat-em-up with limited combat depth, this time NO collectibles, samey environments and enemies, and iffy writing. This time instead of a 30 minute demo timer, it's a 15 minute demo timer. I finished with 5 minutes left. The game is also $15 instead of $20. I went ahead and bought a retail copy of the two games for $7 on Amazon, for a savings of $38.

Why did you buy the retail version? It seems like the game isn't great, what made you want to sit through more of it?

Skydrift: It's an arcadey flying racing game. It reminded me a little bit of Sonic racing, I think because of the level design of the level in the demo and because of the bright colours. I liked the risk-reward element of getting boost by flying low to the ground. In general I found the game a little too forgiving for non head-on collisions (you can hit the ground fairly easily without being punished in any way). It had a good sense of speed, and I liked being able to sell garbage powerups for more boost; more games need that, I hate when you accidentally pick up crummy powerups in kart games. 1200 msp was too steep though, especially given that online is almost certainly dead.

I tried this when it was on sale for 600 and didn't buy it. I can't even remember what my problem with it was, now, but it was a purchase-killer.

I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere :lol

Gaspode_T

Stump I would love to see you do something similar in the XBLIG thread for XBLIG games - there are a lot for you to catch up on...start with Aban Hawkins and the 1000 Spikes or Tempura of the Dead.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why did you buy the retail version? It seems like the game isn't great, what made you want to sit through more of it?

glutton for punishment

Stump I would love to see you do something similar in the XBLIG thread for XBLIG games - there are a lot for you to catch up on...start with Aban Hawkins and the 1000 Spikes or Tempura of the Dead.

not that much of a glutton for punishment, although i do like aban hawkins well enough. :)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, was it listed anywhere in this thread that apparently (Bit.Trip) Runner 2 is ALSO coming out this Wed? Yay, a 1200 pts XBLA game, an 800 pts one, and a GoD sale!

I guess with Arcade Cabinet and Serious Sam Double D XXL (which noone here seems to talk about at all...), XBLA is back on it's normal pace, after the kinda "eh" 1 game-a-week, or no-game-at-all times of this early year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Going back through old GAF threads to see XBLA impressions from years past, and I've found... quite a lot of threads announcing games that never came out on XBLA.

Eternity's Child (PC, terrible)
Fractal Jigsaw (became Puzzle Arcade?)
Airburst
Asteroid Cowboys
The Fast and the Furriest
Kart Attack
Emergency Hospital - this one was announced two weeks before release and never came out
Tides of Iron / Wings of War
Spear Fishing
Visceral making XBLA game
Afterfall
Angry Birds - ended up being retail years later
Animales de los Muertes
Silent Hill multiplayer game -- became book of memories?
Futuremark making an XBLA game -- Unstoppable Gorg
Girl Fight
Toki HD
Transformers Origins
Louisiana: Mystery Cases
Hoopworld - announced for XBLA before 360 released, showed up 5 years later on WiiWare

LOL

Vert boil

Updating at the moment, double check prices before buying. I'll update throughout the day.
s4ff55.png

DOTW

Gears of War 2
--All Fronts Collection - 400msp (was 800)

Gears of War 3
--Fenix Rising - 400msp (was 800)
--Forces of Nature Map Pack - 400msp (was 800)
--Horde Command Pack - 400msp (was 800)
--RAAM's Shadow - 600msp (was 1200)
--Season Pass - 1200msp (was 2400)

Some tat as well.
-----

Red Bull Crashed Ice - 160msp (was 400)

-----

GoD Sale: One Day Sale.
More available ever day until March 4th. Check this thread.

Halo 3 - 800msp/10$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Halo 4 - 3200msp/40$ (was 4800/60$) US price, check your region

Halo Reach - 800msp/10$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Halo Wars - 800msp/10$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Week Long Offers:
(Check both msp and $ values. They are a bit screwed up at the moment. They might fix them.)

Bioshock - msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Call of Juarez - msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements - msp/3$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Dirt 2 - msp/5$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

El Shaddai - msp/3$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

GRID - msp/5$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Kane and Lynch: Dead Men - msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Rayman Raving Rabbids - msp/3$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

The Darkness - msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Tom Clancy&#8217;s GRAW - msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Tom Clancy&#8217;s GRAW 2 - msp/5$ (was 1600/$20) US price, check your region

Tom Clancy&#8217;s H.A.W.X. - msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas - msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Tomb Raider Legend - msp/5$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Virtua Fighter 5 - msp/5$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

-----
Sales & Specials+ app

Bionic Commando Rearmed - 400msp (was 800)
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 - 600msp (was 1200)

Very tempted by GRID at that price, but after watching clips on youtube the handling looks a bit odd.

To those who have played it, is there another franchise you would compare it to as far as gameplay?

Vert boil

Have you ever considered doing a separate Deal of the Week / XBL Deals thread and updating it every week? Just a lot of deals these days are not XBLA and I think some folks miss out.

When the mods and Stump were sorting the switch they asked that I didn't do weekly threads.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Next week Deal of the Week:

• NiGHTS into dreams… 400 (50% of)
  • Sonic the Fighters 160 (60% off)
  • Fighting Vipers 160 (60% off)
  • Virtua Fighter 2 160 (60% off)
  • Virtua Fighter 5 FS 400 (67% off)
  • Karateka 400 (50% of)
  • JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure 800 (50% off)

• Karateka 400 (50% of)

S! I bought Sonic the Fighters not long ago.

Will get Nights, Fighting Vipers, VF2. JoJo is still a little bit expensive.

daevv

Dang Civilization Revolution was on some of the earlier lists for being one of the GOD sale games. It's still $30. :(

Edit: unless there are more daily sales planned...

• Karateka 400 (50% of)

Makes me feel bad that I didn't purchase VF2 or Fighting Vipers on release...I'll buy them next week though. I hope those costume packs go on sale too!
JoJo will be the price that I paid for it on DC 13-14 years ago. :lol

Top Bottom