• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Is Arcade Cabinet worth it for 1,200 total, then? Bearing in mind that I've played almost none of the games before so I'd be judging them on their quality rather than any nostalgia value that they hold.

Or is it the same case as it is with most collections of this type, that there's a few good games and then tons of filler?

excowboy

Mega Man 9,
Mega Man 10,
SSFII-THD

Are any of these worth the space bucks? I used to love SSFII on the SNES and I played the arse out of MM2 on the NES. I think I've played a demo for one of these MM games and it was really stupidly hard. Any thoughts on any of them?

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Beautiful Puzzle Pack - 1200msp
(ilomilo, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Lazy Raiders and The Splatters.)
(The download is just a launcher that allows you to download the existing games. No dlc or new achievements.)

Also,

Alien Spidy
--Easy Breezy - 160msp

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Capcom Arcade Cabinet: It's quality emulation of 17 arcade games. I haven't even played all of them myself over the years (and this surprise sale will make it a lot easier to buy the pack finally!), but with less than a dollar for each game, how in the world can you go wrong?

You also get International and JP versions of any of the games where this occurred, and this can change some things in a few of the games.

Some things like Speed Rumbler and Avengers might be kinda "ehhh??" But GnG, 194X series, Gun.Smoke & Commando are solid games that are still fun now, and Side Arms, Legendary Wings, and Black Tiger still seem uniquely good, even if you've never see / heard of them.

MM9, MM10: They're fairly hard, but 10 has an easy mode, and 9 has a DLC easy mode, if I remember right? They stick guards over spikes, and pretty much make the game a semi-cakewalk... also you can buy lives, damage reducers, and more in an in-game shop, so they're a lot nicer than the older ones, if you want them to be...

I guess MM games can be pretty frustrating, but once you get good at them, you can beat one in just a couple of hours, of less, if you start speed-running.

If you were able to put up with MM2, these shouldn't be so bad. I felt just as frustrated with these as I did with 2 in the past...

SSFIITHDR: Honestly, unless you want to try to get in online, or have friends to play it with... I probably wouldn't buy this now, especially with all the other more relevant, active fighters on sale.

Lima

Fuck I knew I should have waited before I bought the lost island dlc for C3. Ah well boosted it all yesterday, no regrets and no fucks given.

excowboy

If you were able to put up with MM2, these shouldn't be so bad. I felt just as frustrated with these as I did with 2 in the past...

SSFIITHDR: I probably wouldn't but this now, especially with all the other more relevant, active fighters on sale.

That's cool, thanks for the feedback. I think I'd just play SFII against the computer or with friends - it'd be more for the nostalgia so maybe I'll skip it. I might bite for one of the MM's though, think I could use a challenge!

EDIT: Just bought MM9 after reading this thread and this review. Wish me luck!

Capcom Arcade Cabinet: It's quality emulation of 17 arcade games. I haven't even played all of them myself over the years (and this surprise sale will make it a lot easier to buy the pack finally!), but with less than a dollar for each game, how in the world can you go wrong?

You say it like that and it sounds absurd not to buy it, but at the same time if it turns out that I only like GnG then it's a very expensive game!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Might, and a big might, buy Jill and Shuma-Gorath for UMvC3 with this sale since I'm sitting on 470 points and I have practically every XBLA game I wanted, I'm even sitting on games that I've got or won that I haven't even loaded up to show up on my Games list.

As much as I love Marvel the most out of all the latest fighters of the past few years, I'm still annoyed with how UMvC3 came out, to the point that I only bought it with the steal of a deal I got a few years back, might be time to do the same with these two characters too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You say it like that and it sounds absurd not to buy it, but at the same time if it turns out that I only like GnG then it's a very expensive game!

Haha, well at that rate, lets just pretend the other games are 25 or 50 cent plays at an arcade! You can cut down the cost little by little that way!

Or pretend the 2 you end up liking cost 600 points each, and the rest were freebies! They'd still be cheaper than many Virtual Console releases then!

Might, and a big might, buy Jill and Shuma-Gorath for UMvC3 with this sale since I'm sitting on 470 points and I have practically every XBLA game I wanted, I'm even sitting on games that I've got or won that I haven't even loaded up to show up on my Games list.

As much as I love Marvel the most out of all the latest fighters of the past few years, I'm still annoyed with how UMvC3 came out, to the point that I only bought it with the steal of a deal I got a few years back, might be time to do the same with these two characters too.

Shuma just had a good showing at Evo 2013, so surely, it's worth throwing him a few dollars to congratulate him!

Jill is.. cool... I guess? *shrug* She had some stuff that is interesting, but there's so many quick, rush-down style characters in the game, that can do much of what she does...

Brakara

It's pretty hard to say what games you'll like though (if not downright impossible). The ports themselves seem pretty good, so why not just watch the Giant Bomb QLs and see for yourself?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Shuma just had a good showing at Evo 2013, so surely, it's worth throwing him a few dollars to congratulate him!

Jill is.. cool... I guess? *shrug* She had some stuff that is interesting, but there's so many quick, rush-down style characters in the game, that can do much of what she does...

Yeah, Shuma on top of that has a great OTG assist and super, I could find a good use for him on a secondary team that I have trouble finding a third for with a nice beam assist, so he could fit that role.

Jill, she has some nice quirks and tricks, along with her invincible super, and her biggest advantage is that almost no one has any experience against her so I might as well pick her up too.

aku:jiki

I just picked it up and haven't played about half the games before. Impressions:

Vulgus: Typical archaic shmup. Good if you like that, I guess, but I can't really go back to them considering how far the genre has come.
SonSon: Cute little prototype to more advanced run and gun shooters like Metal Slug. Pretty fun and good music.
Higemaru: Sort of like a more puzzle-y Bomberman. I like this.
1942: Archaic shmup again. See Vulgus.
Savage Bees: Vulgus again. Annoying music.
Commando: Plays like GunSmoke except you have to aim your guy where you want him to shoot, which makes it a little more annoying to play. Still decent.
Ghosts n Goblins: Everyone knows this one.
GunSmoke: Same here.
Section Z: I guess NES fans know this one. I think it's pretty cool.
Trojan: I've always hated this one with a passion.
The Speed Rumbler: Driving and shooting game. Annoying and hard. That chiptune crescendo made my ears bleed. Do not want.
Legendary Wings: It's Xevious with an ancient greek theme, or something. See Vulgus.
Side Arms: An ancient shmup that actually moves fast and feels hectic! Plus, I found a hidden item that made my mech more badass right off the bat in the first level. I liked this one immediately.
Avengers: LOL. Goofy, stupid fun, but a relentless quarter muncher. The very first enemy grabbed me and instantly killed me. I figured out later that I can buttonmash my way out of grabs but by that point they'll have gobbled up half my life bar.
1943: More ancient shmup boredom.
Black Tiger: Probably the coolest game in the collection, at least considering most people haven't played it. It's a precursor to Magic Sword, a sort of RPG-y sidescrolling platformer.

All in all? I guess not worth it unless you just love ancient history shmups. At 1200, though, I'll get my money's worth from GunSmoke, GnG, Black Tiger, Section Z, Higemaru, SonSon and Side Arms, and I'll probably have more lols playing Avengers. I would understand if someone doesn't like Higemaru, SonSon and Avengers though. Emulation is pretty much perfect and there's a wealth of options for each game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn, so glad I checked this thread, SFIIITSO for 300 points, dayumm! Too bad I still won't know how to execute combos and such, I own it for Dreamcast as well, but those animations son..

aku:jiki

Hah, someone on my TA feed posted that RIPD is the worst XBLA game they've ever played. Now I have to try it, bring on the demo already!

Vert boil said:
It's coming sometime this year. All we know so far.
I have this sneaking suspicion that it's being held back for XB1.

FerranMG

Mega Man 9,
Mega Man 10,

Are any of these worth the space bucks? I used to love SSFII on the SNES and I played the arse out of MM2 on the NES. I think I've played a demo for one of these MM games and it was really stupidly hard. Any thoughts on any of them?

+1.
Tried MM9 demo a couple of times and couldn't even beat it.
But, you know, sometimes you try harder once you've bought the game.
Are they worth it?

Naked Lunch

Super Time Force looks simply amazing. Looks like Gunstar Heroes on crack. Never heard of it till now. Im wondering how many players it is?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing that confuses me about that Super Time Force video is how the time rewinds work. Do you get unlimited rewinds? If you rewind are you forced to change your character? If a character dies and you rewind and save him/her with another character, do you get the first character back? Does it have local/online co-op? If so, how do rewinds work there?

Many unanswered questions, but it definitely looks very promising.

Vert boil

Quick guide to how Super TIME Force works.
E3 Stage demo that explains things as well.

Only single player has been talked about so far.

[talesFromMyArse]
Another player shouldn't (I'm ready to be schooled ;) ) have any greater affect on the game world than one of your ghosts would. Both players would share the same sixty second timeslot/world but they would each be experiencing a different time period. If they weren't playing together all you'd see would be the other players ghosts/current character or The Flash running by if they fast forwarded or rewind through your current time period. The only issue I can think of atm would be how to handle entering boss zones.
[/talesFromMyArse]

Even if it was feasible, I'm expecting it to be SP only.

Cromulent_Word can give a proper answer.

nbraun80

+1.
Tried MM9 demo a couple of times and couldn't even beat it.
But, you know, sometimes you try harder once you've bought the game.
Are they worth it?

my option may be a bit biased beings I love nes and snes mega man, but I really liked these games. I think if you can bear mm2 on normal you can handle them. Anything you play a new MM level your probably going to die a bit, even I do. It takes a little bit to learn the enemies and flow of each level. 9 I feel is a little better game, but if someone's truly worried about it being to hard, id say get 10 first because it has an easy mode which will have less enemies and have many spike deaths covered up.

JudgeB

Banned
Not sure if posted, but Rekoil has just been announced as coming to XBLA in 2013

"505 Games has announced an Xbox Live Arcade version of Plastic Piranha's Rekoil, a post-apocalyptic multiplayer FPS that's built specifically for eSports. It'll launch later this year, and will feature user-generated maps (with competitions to decide how they arrive on Xbox Live). "

http://www.oxm.co.uk/58579/multiplayer-fps-rekoil-announced-as-xbox-console-exclusive/

edit: Maybe old? First I'm hearing of it for 360

Top Bottom