• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLIG / PC (Steam, GamersGate): Cthulhu Saves The World (240pts / $3) - Insanity, Ho!

plc268

Just finished BoDVII... what a terrific little game.

The only part that gave trouble was the
Usurper Boss... I'd get him down to ~500/7500hp, and then he'd fully heal himself.

Took me ~6 hours. I got lost at the end. :) Onward to Cthulhu.

Petrie

Banned
Well, I caved ans skipped BoD for now jumping right into the main course. 4 hours in and it's a fun little game. The humor is solid, and the combat is quick and enjoyable. For the price this is a no-brainer to even casual fans of the genre. I hope they make a boatload of money on Steam and we get more.

Man, I've been so pampered by autosave that I've forgotten how to compulsively manually save leading to some really angry moments the past few weeks playing Deus Ex and now Breath of Death.

Oh man, had no idea it was ready for release on Steam. Bought the pack and looking forward to getting neck deep in Cthulhu this weekend. Also the soundtrack is awesome.

Question:
In the swamp of despair (the first cave dungeon after zombie town), is it normal that there is no exit?
I killed the whale thing, found some boxes, but there is nothing else (or I keep getting lost, unlikely as it's not that big).
Am I really supposed to just find chests and maybe a boss then return the way I came in , without a single indication to if I'm done in there?

Gaspode_T

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Man, I've been so pampered by autosave that I've forgotten how to compulsively manually save leading to some really angry moments the past few weeks playing Deus Ex and now Breath of Death.

FWIW Breath of Death is much harder than Cthulhu

amdnv

SneakyStephan said:
Am I really supposed to just find chests and maybe a boss then return the way I came in , without a single indication to if I'm done in there?
From what I understand, this is an optional dungeon. So you're "done" whenever you decide you're done.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SneakyStephan said:
So there is no exit in any optional dungeon? it's just a maze like dead end each time? that is strange to say the least.
I don't think there is. I just teleported back to towns when that was the case.

plc268

The jump from BoDVII to CSTW is like going from an 8-bit rpg to a 16-bit rpg.

Good stuff.
Although, I'm not sure I'm understanding the point of the insanity mechanic in CSTW.

plc268 said:
The jump from BoDVII to CSTW is like going from an 8-bit rpg to a 16-bit rpg.

Good stuff.
Although, I'm not sure I'm understanding the point of the insanity mechanic in CSTW.

Insanity decreases their defense but increases their offense.

Some of your attacks also have buffs if opponents are insane.

GhaleonEB

Zeboyd Games revenue from Steam exceeds 1yr+ XBLIG revenue

We are pleased to announce that Zeboyd Games has already made more revenue in less than a week on Steam than we have in over a year and a half on the XBox Live Indie Games service.

Thank you again to everyone who has made this huge success possible!​

They had great sales of BoDVII and decent for Cthulhu, but they smoked the cumulative total after one week on Steam. Congrats to them, richly deserved.

From Twitter:

Our reception on the PC is making an excellent case for us to make PC our lead platform in the future.

XBox Live Indie Games was a great learning experience and got our foot in the door so to speak. I don't know that we need it anymore though.

If we continue to support XBLIG in the future, it will be almost entirely for the sake of our fans.​
http://twitter.com/#!/werezompire

Gowans007 said:
god on them but wow, shows how wasted the platform is on xbox, could be its own thread.
Oh God, please don't. There's been quite enough "XBLIGs sell like shit!" threads by now, they always end up exactly the same.

Fair play to Zeboyd though, it's definitely well deserved and not at all unexpected.

wwm0nkey

I think they need to reboot the Indie game channel

have Indie games and Community games

Indie games should have some what of a quality standard and have the ability of achievements where as community games should basically be the low tier indie games we see on the service now.

I get that it destroys the purpose of "indie game" but it almost has to be done to make making games profitable on the service.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
We're still going to support the Xbox in the near future at the very least. There are lots of people that still prefer to play these types of games on the console, and we don't want them to miss out on that :)

I will say that our Steam + GamersGate experience has really opened my eyes to just how big the PC market is, and just how small the Xblig market is.

I'm still pretty stoked by how well we are doing and we can't thank all of you enough for the support!

Mordeccai

Just gotta say, this game is completely awesome. Such a great deal for the price. Thank you for making this game! Honestly the most fun I've had in a video game, the Mother throwback is just capturing my heart. And Cthulhu is a badass, the silly twist is so much fun.

Back to playing!

Red

wwm0nkey said:

Indie games should have some what of a quality standard and have the ability of achievements where as community games should basically be the low tier indie games we see on the service now.

I get that it destroys the purpose of "indie game" but it almost has to be done to make making games profitable on the service.
The goal of the service isn't really to make a profit though.

WaltJay

wwm0nkey said:

That's a good idea. XBLIG is overrun by garbage and student projects. It would be nice to have a separate "best of the best" area where it's not just a dumping ground.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just downloaded Steam and made an account today so I could play this game. So awesome, I tried the demo on XBLIG but wanted the ability to play it on my laptop.

Quick question: Is there a guide or something that explains abilities or mechanics of the game a little bit? How do I raise the Combo counter and what good is it to do that?

Nevermind: I just fired up Breath of Death VII and it explained all my question in the first two minutes. Maybe I'll play this one first.

Mrbob

I decided to play BoD7 first, fun little RPG. Didn't take me too long finish, about four and a half hours and I had a good time the entire way. I enjoyed the leveling mechanic with being able to choose between one of two upgrades with each level. Gave a little more personalization to each character. By the end of the game my Sara was a beast in magic and physical attacks! Some decent laughs in the storyline too. Wrote a recommendation on Steam for the game after I finished. Now onto Cthulhu!

rabhw

Is there a way to change difficulty after starting a game? Even by means of editing a save file in notepad? :p

I started too high, and while I'm enjoying the game it's getting a little bit frustrating. I'd like to finish it though...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
rabhw said:
Is there a way to change difficulty after starting a game? Even by means of editing a save file in notepad? :p

I started too high, and while I'm enjoying the game it's getting a little bit frustrating. I'd like to finish it though...
Try grinding for a bit. Enemies seem to be a set level in each dungeon so grinding can definitely ease the difficulty.

ae4ps3.png

This game really confused me. I touched a little bit on it in the Steam thread, but I felt it a bit odd that the game was clearly an homage to Dragon Quest and other early NES/Famciom RPGs, but it spent most of its time attacking the conventions of those games. I know it was meant to be playful jabbing but I guess I just personally read it as hostile. It's probably just my adoration of these types of games that gets me reading the parody aspect of it in a negative light.

But the game itself really had some brilliant ideas. The Level Up choices were crazy cool. The combo system was nice (though maybe a bit underused). The 10% increase to enemy strength after each round was slightly genius and that particularly made boss battles exciting.

I love that the battles were blazing fast but I felt that without visual cues it was hard to pay attention to what was happening without referring to the text, which, slowed things down. Even just showing the damage or a status ailment that an enemy took visually would have made the speed to the battles so much smoother.

Anyway, I have to give big thanks to the gentleman Stallion Free for the gift. I know his main goal was to get Cthulhu Saves the Worlds into more people's hands but I really felt I should play the original game first. I feel bad I never support them over XBLIG but I have to say I was pretty scared away by meme heavy the game was supposed to be (which, thankfully, it didn't seem that way, even though most of the lifted lines in the game would count as such).

But more than anything, I LOVE that it was a six hour RPG. I wish I could play more under ten hour RPGs.

I'll shall be on lookout to playing CSTW soon!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Does the fight feature make this game broken? Seems like you can just camp on top of a save point and restore MP to make every battle eaiser.

Other than that the game is super!

Adam Prime said:
Does the fight feature make this game broken? Seems like you can just camp on top of a save point and restore MP to make every battle eaiser.

Other than that the game is super!

You can do that in any JRPG that has save points in areas where you can get in random battles. It's just quicker in these games cause everything is quicker in these games.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
HadesGigas said:
You can do that in any JRPG that has save points in areas where you can get in random battles. It's just quicker in these games cause everything is quicker in these games.

Hrm, kinda. The thing here though is that there is a limited number of random fights. You can spawn outside a MP restore point and run through your 25 battles in any given dungeon, then feel free to explore the dungeon without any trouble. This is easier than jumping into a dungeon and going through your ~25 fights while paying attention to MP spell/management.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Indeed, you can camp a save spot and destroy your dungeon encounters. We encountered this aspect when playtesting (and post release) of Breath of Death VII. What we discovered is that most players actually enjoyed having the option to do so. Some players like to run through the game encountering enemies as they may, other players like to do the battles near saves and make their level up choices and then freely explore the dungeons.

So we leave it up to the players how they would like to proceed. People liked it enough that we included it in CSTW.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
slash000 said:
Indeed, you can camp a save spot and destroy your dungeon encounters. We encountered this aspect when playtesting (and post release) of Breath of Death VII. What we discovered is that most players actually enjoyed having the option to do so. Some players like to run through the game encountering enemies as they may, other players like to do the battles near saves and make their level up choices and then freely explore the dungeons.

So we leave it up to the players how they would like to proceed. People liked it enough that we included it in CSTW.

The more I play the game the more I enjoy this choice.

Super fun game, I can't wait until the "next" game in this series. I heard it's going to be a Penny Arcade game?

Top Bottom