• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 gaining USB storage support in spring 2010 update...16gb cap? smh

ProTip: If you have the ability to play Backward Compatible games, inserting any one of your original Xbox games that is "Backward Compatible" will trigger an update regardless of the "wave" of Xbox Live users that is currently being updated.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Just got das booted while I was watching a movie on Netflix. However, I'm still streaming. I'll wait until after I've finished watching.

manzo

BudokaiMR2 said:
The fact that people are trying to spin this as a blessing is goddamn sad.

They are purposely gimping their own product for no good reason....

Wow. The first time I see someone bitching about a new feature that it's gimping the product.

At least MS is not taking away anything like Sony does. Goodbye YDL on my 60gb PS3. :(

darthbob

Okay, I just plugged my 1TB External Drive into the 360.

It has two partitions, one is NTFS, the other is FAT32. The 360 did it's little song and dance where it tested the drive. It said it'll work, but performance might not be so good, and then it showed me that I had 16GB of storage.

I plugged it back into my PC and saw that it still had the two partitions, but it didn't even touch the NTFS partition, rather it allocated space on the FAT32 partition, but nothing is in there. I didn't transfer anything over to it though, but I'd expect some sort of folder structure...

time to update!
manzo said:
Wow. The first time I see someone bitching about a new feature that it's gimping the product.

At least MS is not taking away anything like Sony does. Goodbye YDL on my 60gb PS3. :(
this 16B limit sucks, as does removing OtherOS, i can't see how people can defend either, or use one of the two to defend the other...

Kishgal

Banned
Unsurprisingly, it seems like you can't directly copy installed 360 games from your hard drive to a USB device. It does seem to let me transfer my Xbox Originals, though. I'm installing a game to USB to see what performance is like now.

The Faceless Master said:
time to update!
this 16B limit sucks, as does removing OtherOS, i can't see how people can defend either, or use one of the two to defend the other...

Can't get your point.
My Xbox is able to do a thing that was unable to do yesterday.
Could/should be better but it's an add-on which makes my Xbox better. It's quite simple.

rjcc

time to update!

It's an improvement over the 0GB limit it had yesterday. I don't see how that's not a good thing.

Kishgal

Banned
FF13 appears to load quite fast from my USB SDHC card reader with an 8GB card in it. I'm almost inclined to say it's faster than the hard drive, but I doubt that's the case. It certainly keeps up, either way, and is way faster than loading from the disc.

OMG Aero

Just plugged in my external hard drive to test this out and even when I do select the customize option so it doesn't delete everything on it it still says it needs to format it.
This hard drive has all my work and music on it so I guess I'm going to stuck with my 1GB remaining on my hard drive until I buy something again.

a Master Ninja said:
Which one did you buy?

DustoMan said:
16GB%20Boost_300px.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W1RV0Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I already have an 8GB version of this flash drive and it performs as advertised. It is one fast mother fucker. :lol

Feindflug

The update took me about 5 mins and everything is ok - I tested a 4GB Toshiba USB stick and it worked just fine.

I have a question though, can we just copy our profile to the USB stick then go to a friend earn some achievements come back and copy our profile to the HDD again with no problems? MU was like that? or there will be problems with our DLC's and saves on our HDD? Maybe this is a dumb question but I never owned a MU.

miladesn said:
I got a 16gb one today for ~40$, great flash, it's the fastest I've ever had.
Damn thing is £36 here in the UK, would be over £10 cheaper if amazon.com would ship to the UK.

The 8GB version is only £15 though and I am tempted.

mandiller said:
So, can you install games to USB and also transfer Arcade games across?
You can do nearly everything apart from xbox 1 BC, still need a HDD for that.

Feindflug said:
The update took me about 5 mins and everything is ok - I tested a 4GB Toshiba USB stick and it worked just fine.

I have a question though, can we just copy our profile to the USB stick then go to a friend earn some achievements come back and copy our profile to the HDD again with no problems? MU was like that? or there will be problems with our DLC's and saves on our HDD? Maybe this is a dumb question but I never owned a MU.

Yes. If your gamertag is on the MU/usb stick, you can put it on another 360, sign in, then move back to your console -- no problems. DLC is only tied to your tag and console ID, so if you copied DLC/XBLA games to the MU/usb stick and attempted to use them on another 360, you would have to be signed in to Live while doing so.

And if you prefer, you can leave your tag on the MU/usb, if you move around systems enough, and just leave the MU/usb plugged into your normal 360.

DasRaven

mandiller said:
So, can you install games to USB and also transfer Arcade games across?

I can't confirm installing games, but my FM3 LCE 2GB stick now holds all but 3 of my XBLA games, so that is definitely a capability.

Lighting Gels said:
Can't get your point.
My Xbox is able to do a thing that was unable to do yesterday.
Could/should be better but it's an add-on which makes my Xbox better. It's quite simple.

Well that is because it was gimped in the first place. In this day and age reading USB storage on something that has a USB port already should not be a 'feature'. Now they are just making it a little bit less gimped :)

Nif

BudokaiMR2 said:
Well that is because it was gimped in the first place. In this day and age reading USB storage on something that has a USB port already should not be a 'feature'. Now they are just making it a little bit less gimped :)

It always let you read from USB, it just didn't let you store game content on them. It was partially a security feature so people couldn't figure out a way to load their own games or modify saves using a PC, but probably also to sell hard drives.

I've dug through many of the posts in this thread, but couldn't find what I was exactly looking for.

What's the final word on which is faster? A 30/17 MBps read/write USB stick or the 5400 RPM HDD in the system?

This really is a nice option, but I do have one question. Is there something technical that will prevent the 16gb to be raised in the future?

I imagine this is a test/beta run of some sort to gauge people's response and what not. Im betting the inevitable Slim 360 will do away with the proprietary HDDs in order to keep costs low when the inevitable Natal 360 hits. The usb storage option will see a bump in storage cap to appease old 360 owners.

see5harp

BudokaiMR2 said:

So did you bitch when Sony finally allowed you to access the XMB a year after launch? I've had a 120 gig hard drive but the ability to put a profile on a standard USB drive still benefits me.

see5harp said:
So did you bitch when Sony finally allowed you to access the XMB a year after launch? I've had a 120 gig hard drive but the ability to put a profile on a standard USB drive still benefits me.
He even admits that his XBox 360 is "out of commission" in post #656 so he is just bitching.
Edit here is the quote from that post:
BudokaiMR2 said:
Well as I said I am not actually THAT angry because it not longer has anything to do with me since my Xbox 360 is out of commission. I should probably not post after so much alcohol. haha

And I don't have to deal with these problems since I bought a gaming PC.

So it's more like I am sitting in the VIP balcony of a club, shaking my head in pity as the waiter sells some poor schmucks watered down beer while I enjoy my pricey but quality scotch.

vg260

Has anyone tried running games of a usable, but below the recommended specs stick?

I want to transfer my Rock Band library for a party, but my 16GB stick is below specs :(

see5harp

Megadragon15 said:
He even admits that his XBox 360 is "out of commission" in post #656 so he is just bitching.
Edit here is the quote from that post:

I know what he's doing, I was just explaining why this is still a better deal than having to buy a memory card. If you don't have at least a 20 gig hard drive already, I'd probably question why you even own a 360 in the first place.

JimboJones

2&2 said:
Has anyone tried running games of a usable, but below the recommended specs stick?

I want to transfer my Rock Band library for a party, but my 16GB stick is below specs :(

My memory stick is below the specs but it seemed to run Castle Crashers fine.

Fantasmo said:
I expect to be able to export unshitified pictures from Forza3 in the very near future.
You should also expect to be dissapointed.

2&2 said:

Can this be done? Transferring your Rock band songs and character and your XBL profile, so you don't have to bring your HDD or your 360?

Is this confirmed? If so, then this is going to make my life a hell of a lot easier.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Has anyone tried to run an installed disc game off USB yet? Any sweet loading speed gains?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I decided to give it a go with a super-cheap promotional trinket 2GB USB stick I had lying around.

Espgaluda II took about 4 seconds to load Black Label from the menu screen off HDD, 6 off DVD, and 8 off the USB stick.

Just one game, and using a free giveaway USB stick, but there you go... slower than disc!

Maybe I'll order one of those super speedy USB sticks and see if there are gains...

Cynar

time to update!
you're not really making much sense

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
time to update!

Ones a new feature, Ones removing something. I fail to see how you came up with this conclusion.

see5harp said:

That is completely different as it wouldn't cost anyone any money in the future. There is no way to spin this cap other than MS making sure there isn't any direct competition with their retarded HDD pricing.

But yeah, I guess now that I have been uncovered as the troll that I am I will back out of this circle jerk over this amazing new 'feature' of reading USB memory. :lol

BudokaiMR2 said:
That is completely different as it wouldn't cost anyone any money in the future. There is no way to spin this cap other than MS making sure there isn't any direct competition with their retarded HDD pricing.

But yeah, I guess now that I have been uncovered as the troll that I am I will back out of this circle jerk over this amazing new 'feature' of reading USB memory. :lol

Not sure how you're trolling, unless you've somehow compared the 360 to the PS3 in relation to this feature.

What you said (as far back as I went) seems technically right.

This 'feature' SHOULD have been there from the start. Even as it is, it's still technically gimped. Not even from the 16GB cap, which I can deal with, it's the fact that we STILL don't have the option to do a multiple selection process for copying shit.

The transfer option lets me select multiple for MOVING, but not copying. Fucking stupid.

Top Bottom