• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 was just stolen

Izuna

Banned
Can't you locate the person adress with her IP? I dunno about this maybe I watched too many movies.

But if you can then just go to the adress where the console is being used and ask for your console.

But yeah that sounds too simple.

You can't. The ISP easily can, but you only get the general location wherever the IP reports.

It's a good thing it isn't so easy because otherwise doxing would be extremely simple.

--

Fortunately the police have come round the house before for a couple of reasons, so it shouldn't be too much to explain the situation.

RomeoDog

Banned
You're really going to get nothing or nowhere from the police for giving people a console. Without an address or phone number they won't even file a criminal report.

I'd just write an email and offer her that you'll pay to get it back.

Should I go to the police station now? It's 1:45 but maybe I can give a statement ASAP.

It's because...

Being around people who are in shit situations makes me unable to sleep or feel comfortable like I have to help in some way. My counsellors both told me I can't be like this but it's who I am. I just have to one day be surrounded by people who aren't garbage.

It's nice to want to help people, but the general rule is only deal with what you're willing to part with in the assumption you'll never get it back. Whether that be loaning money or lending items. You should never loan out something sentimental or irreplaceable to strangers. I hope you get it back, but prepare for the likelihood you'll never see it again, and hopefully with either outcome, I hope you learn from this experience and won't make the same mistakes again.

conpfreak

Sorry to say this, but the police really won't do anything about a stolen Xbox 360, especially considering you lent it to the couple. The police barely care about recovering stolen cars. This is why renter's insurance exist for these types of incidents. The best thing you can do procedurally is to file a police report so you can actually file an insurance claim. Hopefully you have replacement cost coverage as well or else you'll get basically nothing for a 360.

That 360 is very fucking important to me. It originally belonged to a brother of mine who I have no idea how to contact. His account, save files etc. are on there and it's the only thing of his that I have. I want to know what I can do to get it back, the best way.

Why would you possibly lend it to them then?!

Microsoft has a pretty fucking impressive division that helps with this kind of stuff. I would call Microsoft. They work with police and everything to help get it back. My sister in law's house was robbed in Maryland a few years ago, and Microsoft handled the whole thing. Not sure if it will be as good out there where you are, but it did wonders contacting Microsoft in my particular family situation.

Why would you possibly lend it to them then?!

He was being nice. Hoped the two people weren't total pieces of shit. They were.

daman824

I'm sorry OP but you're probably not getting the system back. I'd go with what others are suggesting and offer money for them to return it. Maybe talk to the police and Microsoft just in case.

don't loan valuable things to people you just met

Damn OP you're a good person. Sorry the couple didn't give you the respect you've given them. Sometimes respect has to be earned though. Hope she gives you back the system.

Vormund

Sorry to hear OP, hopefully at least you could learn a life lesson from this.

As some others have mentioned, don't lend anything that you can not afford to lose, whether that be money or possessions. It's ok to lend things, just work under the assumption you may not get it back.

Nydius

First, let me say I'm sorry to hear you got taken advantage of and are going through this. I know how it feels to try to do good things for people only to be shit on for your trouble.

But that said, the folks saying you probably won't get it back and the police likely won't do much are, sadly, accurate. Consider it from the Police's point of view: The material value of the item in question is too low to pursue. Even if you were lucky enough to find a sympathetic officer who would pursue the case, if the two people in question say you gave the X360 to them the case becomes a he said/she said situation as there's minimal to no proof of theft beyond your word versus theirs. That leaves the police's hands tied.

At best the police will likely take the information and give you an official report to file an insurance claim.

It's nice to want to help people, but the general rule is only deal with what you're willing to part with in the assumption you'll never get it back.

So much this. Growing up I was taught to never loan money. If I wanted to help someone, figure out how much I was willing to part with and simply give it to them without ever expecting it back. Especially if they were friends or family because loaning items or money always ends up causing animosity between people. Even the closest of friends.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
I sent a PM about my own experience with this. It is possible to get the police to help, if you're lucky enough. It may or may not help, but good luck all the same!

I did fucking everything for these people.

When they came in, they're TV had a broken adapter. I give them one from my HDD which had too little current so it didn't work. I replaced it. I didn't have the AC for the 360, so I bought one.

On 2 occasions, I asked if they wanted takeaway because they were broke af and it was a little more than if I ordered myself due to discounts and stuff...

When the girl had a black eye, after the guy definitely fucking assaulted her, I was THIS close to calling the police but I wanted to give the landlord a day to think about what sort of drama he'd welcome to the house. We all have a big discussion on it.

I made sure they had toilet rolls because there was a girl in the house and it felt weird that she had to use it without any. I lent them £30, knowing they probably couldn't pay me back by the time I move because they hadn't fucking eaten and shit...

I need feel like I'm helpful to not break down and that's what I did when I heard about the mugged iPhone. What was I supposed to do, implicate myself and get the man arrested on his own second-hand story? Thank god I have a good manager because I had an anxiety attack over the whole thing and I still have my job (maybe?), but Bae is basically MIA because she hates being sad when I'm depressed.

All of that shit. Fine. I can get all of that shit back and replace it but this fucking Xbox...

I'm sorry, I just can't with the world right now.

Life sucks sometimes and people will mistreat you. I don't think you'll get your stuff back, but I sympathize with your loss and you're not wrong to feel hurt over betrayal.

Izuna

Banned
Maybe I am cunt but I explained everything to the police. Including the suggestion the landlord made that I shouldn't say I was a tenant.

They took he I.P. Address and other details and will give me a ring im 24 hours if they have a hit on the address, then I will have the opportunity to prove it's mine (in case the serial number doesn't match up).

If they delete all the data (I imagine they wouldn't), I can still prove it is mine because the power supply is one I bought very recently from Amazon.

All this reporting was done via the phone because the open desk is closed, but they had a landline on the building so that's good.

--

Thank you, all of you. Like, my partner is sick of hearing shit happen to me and the landlord here was fucking useless. "Shit happens" was the first thing they said.

Gunna think of some Video game enemy to murk so I can feel better.

Microsoft has a pretty fucking impressive division that helps with this kind of stuff. I would call Microsoft. They work with police and everything to help get it back. My sister in law's house was robbed in Maryland a few years ago, and Microsoft handled the whole thing. Not sure if it will be as good out there where you are, but it did wonders contacting Microsoft in my particular family situation.

He was being nice. Hoped the two people weren't total pieces of shit. They were.

Nice guys finish last. Might as well chalk this up as a lesson learned.

Maybe I am cunt but I explained everything to the police. Including the suggestion the landlord made that I shouldn't say I was a tenant.

They took he I.P. Address and other details and will give me a ring im 24 hours if they have a hit on the address, then I will have the opportunity to prove it's mine (in case the serial number doesn't match up).

If they delete all the data (I imagine they wouldn't), I can still prove it is mine because the power supply is one I bought very recently from Amazon.

All this reporting was done via the phone because the open desk is closed, but they had a landline on the building so that's good.

--

Thank you, all of you. Like, my partner is sick of hearing shit happen to me and the landlord here was fucking useless. "Shit happens" was the first thing they said.

Crossing fingers for you, Izuna. Really hope you get the system back.

RomeoDog

Banned

--

The police isn't going to be able to look up the I.P. They were just being nice to you OP.

Izuna

Banned
Thank you for the support. I gotta be optimistic, right? I'm gunna back up that Xbox so hard if I get it back.

The police isn't going to be able to look up the I.P. They were just being nice to you OP.

May I ask, what country are you from?

KyleCross

After all the replies you've made in this same line of thought what's going to be your reaction if they actually do help? Will it be like that head exploding scene from Scanners?

Zambayoshi

I think you've done everything you can so far. The only thing I'd suggest is following up with the police - don't wait for them to get back to you. Give them a reasonable amount of time, say 24 hours, and then call again and politely ask for an update. I find that the police, like everyone, get busy and prioritise stuff. This probably won't be a priority, but if you nag them enough they might do something just to get you off their backs.

Iorv3th

Shit happens when you put yourself in a situation to be treated like shit. You set yourself up for this.

Your not getting your xbox back and if it was important you shouldn't have lent it out.

Learn from this and stop letting yourself be used.

Pennywise

Thank you for the support. I gotta be optimistic, right? I'm gunna back up that Xbox so hard if I get it back.
Or just don't loan it to strangers you barely know, that also happen to steal phones from other people while trying to get you involved into the crime.

Also I dunno how it is in the UK, but ISPs in Germany can only save the IP adress for a limited amount of time and the value to pursue a crime with a used 360 wouldn't make the cut.

But there are different methods for for the cops to get the current adress.

By the way, you should have also reported them for the phone back in the day...

You also know how they look like and got their full names and possibly know how their parents are called. Use the internet and see if you can dig anything up. I'm sure the police would be willed to help, if they actually had an adress.

you have to be more sneaky if you really want it back, police? no

You use some method to find where they are which can be hard but if you have their phone number then its possible. Get a friend that is able to act professional and sound like he knows what he is doing to call and say he has a delivery for this name and "number" but that the address has been ripped off. If you do get where they are staying I wouldn't advise showing up where they are and where the xbox is. But you could find another way to get the xbox back from them through ways. Even if you walk into them accidentally on the street the idea of them admitting and accepting giving the xbox back to you is always very low so you have to find another way to have the xbox visible in your sight and honestly that is the very hard part. I wouldn't suggest anything illegal but that is the tricky parts I guess.

Atleast you will know where they are and can maybe ask the police to go inside and look for your box (which is doubtful) I would do things a little differently if I really wanted it back, I'd offer them money or something myself.

Spladam

Sorry to hear this OP, but this sounds like a job for DETECTIVEGAF. There has to be a way to track this beahch when it goes online. Like somehow get Microsoft to give you the Mac Address of the xbox that signs on with that account after you convince them it's your account.

Do you have the credentials of the account used on that box OP? I see you have a Netflix account on there, that's a lead.

If you do make contact with them or her mother, bluff your ass off about being able to track the box.

RomeoDog

Banned

May I ask, what country are you from?
I come from Uruguay but live in Europe like you.

For the police to be able to get an address from an IP they'd need a warrent from a judge to show an isp and it takes a couple days.

They took down all you told them and now it's on file but not a thing will come from it.

Your landlord probably has their phone numbers, why don't you ask for it ? Your best bet is still offering money for it back.

I was gonna say, witch hunt or is this not allowed here?

Also, for what it's worth my mother has the exact same issue you have except it's her daughter. Needless to say it's gotten to the point where I don't care when she dies. What she's done to my family kills me. I'm never helping any shady people ever no matter the circumstances honestly. Good luck, and for the future, don't be that guy. I don't know the psych behind it but I know it hurts good people too often. You're way too nice to have these problems man.

Izuna

Banned
I come from Uruguay but live in Europe like you.

For the police to be able to get an address from an IP they'd need a warrent from a judge to show an isp and it takes a couple days.

They took down all you told them and now it's on file but not a thing will come from it.

Your landlord probably has their phone numbers, why don't you ask for it ? Your best bet is still offering money for it back.

I believe UK police have the power to directly ask the ISPs for an address. They will see that the last name for the girl (if she is with her mother) matches the account. Failing that, the ISP is busy but they have to cooperate. I just hope it isn't some mobile tether.

The landlord refused the give me the dude's last name. I had to go through all the junk mail to find something with his name on it. They have some reason for disliking the police and I don't know what it is.

I was gonna say, witch hunt or is this not allowed here?

Also, for what it's worth my mother has the exact same issue you have except it's her daughter. Needless to say it's gotten to the point where I don't care when she dies. What she's done to my family kills me. I'm never helping any shady people ever no matter the circumstances honestly. Good luck, and for the future, don't be that guy. I don't know the psych behind it but I know it hurts good people too often. You're way too nice to have these problems man.

Regardless, even though I think I will get the most luck addressing the girl, from all the shit I heard during their stay here she's a victim of abuse. She's also young enough that I wouldn't want any witch hunting to take place. It's the job for the police and hopefully they do it well.

Regardless, even though I think I will get the most luck addressing the girl, from all the shit I heard during their stay here she's a victim of abuse. She's also young enough that I wouldn't want any witch hunting to take place. It's the job for the police and hopefully they do it well.
Yeah - 17 is really young to be in that position. I can honestly see myself doing similar things looking back if I had no place to live... I guess it's all about perspective. Though, I'd probably left you the hard drive... did they know it was a sentimental thing? I've got my own console I'd hate to lose.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah - 17 is really young to be in that position. I can honestly see myself doing similar things looking back if I had no place to live... I guess it's all about perspective. Though, I'd probably left you the hard drive... did they know it was a sentimental thing? I've got my own console I'd hate to lose.

Judging from the fact that they played Borderlands 1 like it was the most revolutionary thing ever, I doubt they know where the hard drive is.

But no, I didn't say. It's actually only hitting me now just how important the console is. If I can be grateful for one thing, it's making me remember my brother a lot.

I just don't expect people to do bad things...

Even if you don't expect people to do bad things, you don't know them at all. What if they broke it accidentally? You'd be in the same position because you lent out something that you value as priceless to someone you didn't know. Them breaking it would be essentially the same result. Why put yourself in that position?

I just don't expect people to do bad things...

Well you said the dude clearly abused the girl. At that point I would've called the police and cut ties with the couple (including taking my things back).

I mean, you said you gave the landlord a day and didn't call the police.

In my opinion, fuck that. If someone is getting physically abused, male or female, you call the fucking police.

I don't give a shit what the landlord thinks once things escalate to domestic violence. That's straight fucked up, yo.

RomeoDog

Banned
Well you said the dude clearly abused the girl. At that point I would've called the police and cut ties with the couple (including taking my things back).

I mean, you said you gave the landlord a day and didn't call the police.

In my opinion, fuck that. If someone is getting physically abused, male or female, you call the fucking police.

I don't give a shit what the landlord thinks once things escalate to domestic violence. That's straight fucked up, yo.
If she doesn't press charges herself the police would not be able to do anything.

Xbudz

Sorry to hear about that, OP.

It's so unfortunate that there are people like that out there.
Similar situations have happened to me in the past. People can be scum.

My best advice to you is to simply ask for the Xbox 360 back, but come to terms with the likelihood that you will not get that console back.

Just don't let their negativity rub off on you. Try to keep positive even in this situation.

With regards to the sentimental value from brother, perhaps you could invest in another 360 at some point, one that looks exactly like the one you had. Play the games he played and try to appreciate them in a new light.

AndrewPL

I think your Xbox is gone but you might have something from it.....

Take a long hard look at yourself. You are making all kinds of shitty decisions, I'm about ready to yell at the screen! You seem to be a lot smarter than this but are putting yourself in lose lose situations!
Learn from this.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member

It depends on not just the country in question but the locality of the police themselves. If it's a small operation with not a lot going on and the right person taking the case, it's possible they'll get involved. You need to be proactive and interested, get them interested and invested, and make sure they know what they have to do. If they are given the ISP's service number with the IP in question and are told about the steps they need to do to get the address, it's plenty possible they'll give it a try.

Source: Recovered stolen property exactly that way.

angelic

Banned
I did fucking everything for these people.

When they came in, they're TV had a broken adapter. I give them one from my HDD which had too little current so it didn't work. I replaced it. I didn't have the AC for the 360, so I bought one.

On 2 occasions, I asked if they wanted takeaway because they were broke af and it was a little more than if I ordered myself due to discounts and stuff...

When the girl had a black eye, after the guy definitely fucking assaulted her, I was THIS close to calling the police but I wanted to give the landlord a day to think about what sort of drama he'd welcome to the house. We all have a big discussion on it.

I made sure they had toilet rolls because there was a girl in the house and it felt weird that she had to use it without any. I lent them £30, knowing they probably couldn't pay me back by the time I move because they hadn't fucking eaten and shit...

I need feel like I'm helpful to not break down and that's what I did when I heard about the mugged iPhone. What was I supposed to do, implicate myself and get the man arrested on his own second-hand story? Thank god I have a good manager because I had an anxiety attack over the whole thing and I still have my job (maybe?), but Bae is basically MIA because she hates being sad when I'm depressed.

All of that shit. Fine. I can get all of that shit back and replace it but this fucking Xbox...

I'm sorry, I just can't with the world right now.

With the greatest respect, fixing the world isnt your responsibility. If you become a blind rescuer, you will be taken advantage of.

xuchu

Oh Izuna, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I know those NGB and NG2 save files are in there. Really glad that you quickly reported it to the police. Hope they will take this seriously and investigate properly. I've dealt with some lazy UK police that didn't really do anything for a similar case but you seem to have a lot more info than I did, so hope that gives the police a lead to go on.

Rellik

OP needs to learn that most people in this world aren't as nice as you. Learn from these lessons and stop getting taken advantage of.

Also, the Police won't do anything with that IP from my experience. I gave them one from someone who stole my bank details and they didn't care. Just gave me some bs story to get rid of me.

marmoka

Banned
Go to the police and sue them. You have their personal information, and email addresses, you have the essential for that. As far as I know, the landlord cannot make you pay their part of the rent.

I don't think you will get your 360 back. One thing you could do, is sue them, and during trial, negociate: they pay their parts of the rent, return your 360, and withdraw the complaint.

Sharing flats is horrible, you can meet really nice people, but also people with huge mental disorders. I recently had to move because of a problematic flatmate. Now I live alone, it's much more expensive of course, but was worth for my mental state.

Kai Ozu

Lent my copy of Metroid Prime to my neighbor, he moved out of no where and never got it back.

I never lend shit out anymore.

Top Bottom