• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 was just stolen

Izuna

Banned
So, I've been silently following this thread from the beginning and OP is a great guy(girl?) and I hope everything gets resolved, any news Izuna?

I'm a guy.

Today police came over to the house looking for the male involved due to an earlier call. I told them there's a more recent crime reported regarding his whereabouts etc.

They last used the Xbox yesterday evening so it's another day I know they still have it (with the data). I'm in wait mode at the moment.

RomeoDog

Banned
I'm a guy.

Today police came over to the house looking for the male involved due to an earlier call. I told them there's a more recent crime reported regarding his whereabouts etc.

They last used the Xbox yesterday evening so it's another day I know they still have it (with the data). I'm in wait mode at the moment.

What were they looking for him for? And now that you have his phone number they can actually charge him for the crime(not that you'll get your xbox back because they're not returning it to you even if they arrest him). A name is never enough evidence.

I still don't believe having their I.P number from netflix is going to help in this matter. Did the police ever actually tell you they can use it ?

Mr Git

When my friend got burgled years ago they took his PS3 (amongst a shit tonne of other stuff) but hadn't wiped it so would sign in on his account. I logged the times when I saw them signed in and my friend passed it on to the police. They got the IP from Sony and the police found the address. He got the PS3 back but nothing else - it had already been sold off around. Hope you have a similar result!

Izuna

Banned
What were they looking for him for? And now that you have his phone number they can actually charge him for the crime(not that you'll get your xbox back because they're not returning it to you even if they arrest him). A name is never enough evidence.

I still don't believe having their I.P number from netflix is going to help in this matter. Did the police ever actually tell you they can use it ?

I don't understand your pressimism.

The police were called by the landlord a week ago to help remove him from the property. They are responding late to that.

Of course they will return it providing I can prove it is mine (which I can do whether there is data on it or not). It's not just the male that's commited a crime, it's also the female. Getting the address from the I.P. is a simple enquiry for the police.

When my friend got burgled years ago they took his PS3 (amongst a shit tonne of other stuff) but hadn't wiped it so would sign in on his account. I logged the times when I saw them signed in and my friend passed it on to the police. They got the IP from Sony and the police found the address. He got the PS3 back but nothing else - it had already been sold off around. Hope you have a similar result!

Thank you :) I'm hoping the same result.

Who can resist the lure of free Netflix amirite?

Mr Git

Thank you :) I'm hoping the same result.

Who can resist the lure of free Netflix amirite?

No one. Although when you do get it back, that's your suggestions fucked :p

I'm now thinking how terrible it would be to have some jebends have access to your Youtube account.

Izuna

Banned
No one. Although when you do get it back, that's your suggestions fucked :p

I'm now thinking how terrible it would be to have some jebends have access to your Youtube account.

For real, they watch some generic ass shit.

Thankfully they don't use MY profile for it. (I got 4 profiles on there because I share it out).

Izuna

Banned
So here's the infuriating update

I literally (after all this time) got told by GM Police that "it costs money to track" the Xbox 360 with the supplied I.P. Address.

Despite having phone numbers, email addresses and the fact that the dude as priors... "too much effort mate!"

Izuna,

As discussed on the phone, it has been decided to finalise the investigation into your stolen Xbox.

I am prepared to send the girl an email and see if she will return it that way.

Regards

[]
To contact the police in an emergency call 999 or to contact Greater Manchester Police for a less urgent matter call 101.
For the latest news and information about your Neighbourhood Policing Team visit www.gmp.police.uk. You can also follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/gmpolice or find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/GtrManchesterPolice , Flickr: www.flickr.com/gmpolice1 or YouTube: www.youtube.com/gmpolice
You can find your local policing team on social media at www.gmp.police.uk/socialmedia.
Download our smartphone app from the App Store or Google Play www.gmp.police.uk/apps

--

So essentially, he told me to BLUFF that they are pursuing the crime and scare them into returning the Xbox. He'll send an email, I'll send one, and that's all the help I'm going to get.

Email sent to [redacted]

They literally don't care about any of the reports of domestic violence either, despite the landlords corroborating.

--

Xbox, Microsoft just said something along the lines of "you have to say goodbye to save files!" But whatever, I know they have no way to blocking access to Xbox LIVE or anything of the sort but still, it sucked hearing that I should get over it.

anyway no more free netflix for these idiots

OCD Guy

It's shit but in the grand of schemes what happened to you is almost irrelevant to them. The reality is the police are short staffed and aren't much use for things such as these.

Unfortunately the only time they'd actually do something is if you dealt with the matter yourself, and it would be you they'd be dealing with.....

Night.Ninja

Banned

I literally (after all this time) got told by GM Police that "it costs money to track" the Xbox 360 with the supplied I.P. Address.

Despite having phone numbers, email addresses and the fact that the dude as priors... "too much effort mate!"

--

So essentially, he told me to BLUFF that they are pursuing the crime and scare them into returning the Xbox. He'll send an email, I'll send one, and that's all the help I'm going to get.

They literally don't care about any of the reports of domestic violence either, despite the landlords corroborating.

--

Xbox, Microsoft just said something along the lines of "you have to say goodbye to save files!" But whatever, I know they have no way to blocking access to Xbox LIVE or anything of the sort but still, it sucked hearing that I should get over it.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

anyway no more free netflix for these idiots

image1181c.png

This is legit funny, police cut backs hitting hard 😂

I have Xbox 360 if you want it, it's the slim black version

I'll post it to you free of charge

It's not just police cutbacks.

Not being harsh OP, but police don't even bother solving stolen mobile phones which are worth way more than 360s. So they hardly going to bother with this.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Send an email asking for the hard drive? I don't know, maybe they'd compromise?

they haven't responded to prior emails. Assuming they even check that email address.

Sorry Izuma. Change your Xbox Live and Netflix password, and move forward. You're not getting that game console back. :(

On the plus side, there's folks in this thread that are willing to give you their Xbox 360. It's stuff like that that make me love GAF.

Izuna

Banned
I have Xbox 360 if you want it, it's the slim black version

I'll post it to you free of charge

I'm very grateful but it's not really what I'm after ;(

I'll probably pick up a 360 on my own in the distant future, it just sucks because it was my brother's ;(

but, thank you, really

Nydius

I understand your frustration but you really shouldn't be surprised (let alone infuriated) by this result. You're asking the police to pursue a very minor incident of low value theft with circumstances that will be notoriously difficult to prove. Essentially your entire claim comes down to a he said/she said scenario: You say you loaned it, they can say you gave it, and there's no evidence to prove or disprove either claim. This sent me down a brief rabbit hole researching the Theft Act of 1968. After looking at the provisions of determining dishonest intent and what constitutes appropriation of property, I can largely understand why the police aren't really doing much of anything (besides the manpower cost for what they view to be a low value item).

As for the domestic abuse issue, I'm not even sure why this was being conflated with the minor theft issue. Unless you caught one of them beating the shit out of the other and called the cops as it happened, your report of abuse, even with corroboration by the landlord, is just hearsay. It was nothing that was actionable, especially since they had already moved out.

joecanada

You sound like a good dude keep your head up . One thing is if you are a helping person , perhaps try donating money or time to a valid local charity... Then when you happen across those in need direct them to said charity ... I worked in mental health for 10 years and I can tell you that giving money directly to marginalized persons almost never pans out . They don't have the capacity to use the money properly due to many circumstances .

Izuna

Banned
Capture.png

This is what happens when someone spouts bullshit to get away from responsibility, BUT I hope this works out.

Capture.png

This is what happens when someone spouts bullshit to get away from responsibility, BUT I hope this works out.

Did the girl send that? Wow, I would not have expected a positive outcome. This might sound a little harsh, but I get the impression that you're the sort of person who walks into these situations.

I hope you get your xbox back though.

Izuna

Banned
Did the girl send that? Wow, I would not have expected a positive outcome. This might sound a little harsh, but I get the impression that you're the sort of person who walks into these situations.

I hope you get your xbox back though.

It's not all sorted I guess, because she needs to bite and give the address and hopefully she's too stupid to realise that it contradicts my prior email about the police being able to track it.

It's not all sorted I guess, because she needs to bite and give the address and hopefully she's too stupid to realise that it contradicts my prior email about the police being able to track it.

Wizard's First Rule: People will believe something if they want it to be true, or if they're afraid it might be true.

I think you've got a good shot.

Izuna

Banned
For real. Make sure to bring a friend with you.

Yeah definitely, in fact, I'll call the police to the door (of Stockport) to retrieve it if I couldn't, but I share a flat with a bunch of dudes who'd be very happy to help.

There are two things really. I'm hoping she tells me the address or the landlord who claimed to know her mother's address tells it to me. I can confirm that that's where it is.

I'm going to email the police officer and ask if he can send another email saying that her providing the address makes it easier to drop charges.

fingers crossed

JimmyMarrow

Neo Member
Not trying to be a jerk but after reading this thread it seems to me that you have a living situation that's a bit unconventional. Couple that with gullibility and you'll often find yourself in crappy situations.

I hope things work out for you I really do. However, I can't help but get the feeling that many more things will go awry for you until you get into a more "stable" living situation.

Sounds like a zoo.

Izuna

Banned
Not trying to be a jerk but after reading this thread it seems to me that you have a living situation that's a bit unconventional. Couple that with gullibility and you'll often find yourself in crappy situations.

I hope things work out for you I really do. However, I can't help but get the feeling that many more things will go awry for you until you get into a more "stable" living situation.

Sounds like a zoo.

My living situation right now is super legit. Gated homes, everyone is nice as hell (funnily enough, it's a place that harbours foreigners almost exclusively).

The old LL still owes me £66 but I refused to leave until I got at least £200 of the shit he owed. These people I stayed with, I'm shocked at the whole thing.

Izuna

Banned
The police officer is helping out quite a bit :D

[redacted],

Thank you for responding to Izuna regarding his Xbox.

As the mistake is yours, the onus is on you to get it back to him. How do you propose to do this ?

Please advise

[]

Pendleton police station,
Meyrick Road,
Pendleton,
Salford

So I think all that can be done has been done. What happens from now may take a while. I'll update if I get it back, if not, thanks for all the support.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in America, the police won't pay attention to one piece of stolen electronics.

My very close friend and his other roommate went on a bachelor party vacation only to find that all their belongings (PS3, laptops, televeison, etc) were all stolen. Their third roommate curiously had nothing stolen. Then they found security footage of him carrying out all the electronics to pawn. The police did nothing. In, fact, they ended up having to have home owners insurance paid out.

A place where I lived for five years had a mail thief. He would routinely break into our building, steal all our packages and mail, and have yard sales of all our stuff. He successfully thefted the identity of several of my neighbors in the building. He'd follow the post man on his route and brazenly break into people's mail boxes and shove everything into his white conversion van he used to tail the postman. We all knew who he was, there was footage of him in several buildings in the area of him stealing mail. Eventually, we had a neighborhood meeting at the local police station with he PD and a USPS's federal investigator. Even though we collectively had had thousands and thousands of dollars of mail stolen, credit cards fraudulently opened up in our name and used, and he even brought in a neighborhood drug dealing problem; the federal investigator told us they wouldn't be taking on the investigation. The police liaison added insult to injury saying we should feel lucky we didn't have more people like the mail theif in our neighborhood, and told us to stay safe.

gamma

I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in America, the police won't pay attention to one piece of stolen electronics.

My very close friend and his other roommate went on a bachelor party vacation only to find that all their belongings (PS3, laptops, televeison, etc) were all stolen. Their third roommate curiously had nothing stolen. Then they found security footage of him carrying out all the electronics to pawn. The police did nothing. In, fact, they ended up having to have home owners insurance paid out.

A place where I lived for five years had a mail thief. He would routinely break into our building, steal all our packages and mail, and have yard sales of all our stuff. He successfully thefted the identity of several of my neighbors in the building. He'd follow the post man on his route and brazenly break into people's mail boxes and shove everything into his white conversion van he used to tail the postman. We all knew who he was, there was footage of him in several buildings in the area of him stealing mail. Eventually, we had a neighborhood meeting at the local police station with he PD and a USPS's federal investigator. Even though we collectively had had thousands and thousands of dollars of mail stolen, credit cards fraudulently opened up in our name and used, and he even brought in a neighborhood drug dealing problem; the federal investigator told us they wouldn't be taking on the investigation. The police liaison added insult to injury saying we should feel lucky we didn't have more people like the mail theif in our neighborhood, and told us to stay safe.

What lawless hellhole of a city do you live in holy shit. I'd move out of there instantly if that happened to me.

It depends on where you are in America. My PS4 and Xbox were stolen from my apartment when I was outside of the country for a bit, and the police were very helpful and tracked down the PS4 with the serial number I gave them and then subpoena'd Microsoft to force them to tell them the serial number of the Xbox so they could confirm it was mine and give it back also.

No matter the value, every case should be resolved.

Yes in fairy land.

Police you know are kind of busy going after more serious crimes. If they broke in their home or mugged him of the 360 them that would be investigated. But police don't have time to waste especially in this case. The police force in UK is shrinking so people should respect the fact that they have more serious matters to attend to then this.

Izuna

Banned
When the police got your back:

I was CC'd in this email
[],

24 hours ago I asked you to notify me how you were going to return the Xbox to Izuna.

You haven't replied.

I expect a reply from you today, Thursday 27th July. If you fail to respond I'll come up to [] and arrest both you and [] for Burglary.

It's in your interest to get this sorted immediately.

Thank you

[]

If nothing else it would have all been worth it to read such a thing.

KyleCross

When the police got your back:

I was CC'd in this email

If nothing else it would have all been worth it to read such a thing.

Hm, not so sure if I agree with going to 11 like that after only a couple emails. If they happen to not check their email till after the fact, then that reveals this is all bullshit to them and they ain't gotta worry about shit.

cantona222

The e-mail you sent to her is perfect. It will show her exact intention without provoking her. I suggest to give it few days and wait for a reply. if there is no reply or if there is negative one then go ahead and call the police.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i know that Xbox 360 had sentimental value to you and i hope you get it back. i can't possibly replace that and if you don't get it back i'd be happy to send you mine since you're in the UK. i have some games (rdr, skate, halo 3/4/reach/odst, fallout 3/nv) you can have too. the only thing is i don't have a controller for it anymore. it's just sitting there in my cupboard taking up space anyway.

poodaddy

Hm, not so sure if I agree with going to 11 like that after only a couple emails. If they happen to not check their email till after the fact, then that reveals this is all bullshit to them and they ain't gotta worry about shit.

If I was them I'd call the bluff. Here's hoping your thieves are a bit slow on the uptake OP, which I'd imagine they probably are so this will hopefully all work out well for you.

Yes in fairy land.

Police you know are kind of busy going after more serious crimes. If they broke in their home or mugged him of the 360 them that would be investigated. But police don't have time to waste especially in this case. The police force in UK is shrinking so people should respect the fact that they have more serious matters to attend to then this.

I hope you weren't saying that with a straight face. You mean serious crimes like an 11 year old kid selling lemonade and getting arrested because he didn't have a license to do so? Or how about serious crimes like kids playing basketball in front of their yard and getting arrested because they were deemed too loud? Or how about people getting arrested fro just smoking weed? There are many more examples but i don't want to get into the whole police killing black people for no reason.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This is one shady thread. OP wants an Xbox 360 back that is of sentimental value because it belonged to his older brother who has mysteriously disappeared (no Facebook, cell phone, etc.) with no way to contact.

Also OP has to move around a lot, sometimes with some very shady individuals and is constantly being scammed out of money...

What am I missing?

Izuna

Banned

I didn't send that email, the officer did.

Top Bottom