• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 was just stolen

poodaddy

This is one shady thread. OP wants an Xbox 360 back that is of sentimental value because it belonged to his older brother who has mysteriously disappeared (no Facebook, cell phone, etc.) with no way to contact.

Also OP has to move around a lot, sometimes with some very shady individuals and is constantly being scammed out of money...

What am I missing?

Seems kinda crappy to attack OP for his personal life. We all got our highs and lows and everyone's journey is unique. Besides, the stuff about his brother could be very personal and he may not wanna talk about it, which is his prerogative. All we need to know is that the console holds sentimental value, and we know that; the rest is no business of ours.

Izuna

Banned
That is awesome.

Ikr? It's making me feel less shit about this whole situation just to know I had that sort of support.

And truly, thanks all about offering their 360s. I really appreciate it, but if I come out of this without the 360, I am able to buy one.

Izuna

Banned
Can the officer just do that? Seems like a complete lie.

Good luck in any event.

Because of the living situation, I think, taking the Xbox is essentially under that crime. The girl sends the email basically admitting they have it and then refused to follow up.

m23

Because of the living situation, I think, taking the Xbox is essentially under that crime. The girl sends the email basically admitting they have it and then refused to follow up.

Really hope there is a positive outcome to this.

I hope you weren't saying that with a straight face. You mean serious crimes like an 11 year old kid selling lemonade and getting arrested because he didn't have a license to do so? Or how about serious crimes like kids playing basketball in front of their yard and getting arrested because they were deemed too loud? Or how about people getting arrested fro just smoking weed? There are many more examples but i don't want to get into the whole police killing black people for no reason.

Why you telling me about crimes that are happening in America? I'm not sure UK police can deal with those. They already stretched as it is with cuts.

At the end of the day you borrow stuff to people you trust. How do the police not know he sold it for cash or whatever to them? It was always going to be difficult for them regardless of the expense. But the expense of the thing adds to the matter. This isn't a robbery or someone being mugged.

Izuna

Banned
Why you telling me about crimes that are happening in America? I'm not sure UK police can deal with those. They already stretched as it is with cuts.

At the end of the day you borrow stuff to people you trust. How do the police not know he sold it for cash or whatever to them? It was always going to be difficult for them regardless of the expense. But the expense of the thing adds to the matter. This isn't a robbery or someone being mugged.

It isn't exactly lending, they were allowed to use it within the property. It's sort of like telling someone they can use your laptop for something and they take it to the guest room. It doesn't mean you would let them take it out etc.

What's happened is that they can't pretend I sold it to them or anything because they went with the "but I didn't know it was taken" excuse.

Which by the way, would be impossible because the account that had the Netflix on it is one of very many on the Xbox.

You're surrounded by a bunch of scum-bags. Time to re-evaluate & re-locate. Good luck getting the 360 back. I truly hope you do. This sort of thing sucks for a lot of reasons, not least of which is because over time it kills peoples' ability to trust each other at all. I learned this lesson back during the short-lived run of the Sega Saturn when I lent mine to a buddy who then had his loser buddy over to play it (not part of the original plan) who then promptly broke my shit and didn't offer to pay a dime to fix it. Since then, I don't lend shit to anyone. Period. You did this from a place of kindness, which is good... You don't want to lose that quality entirely... But you have to be smart and strategic about it and realize some people are not worth taking the risk.

GameTechWatch

Neo Member
I think this thread is shady, I think this whole story is shady.

Strangely policeman and OP have similar typing habits. Page 1 OP
spells "Mother" with a capital M mid sentence and the policeman spells
"Burglary" with a capital B mid sentence.

Also, the dad of the girl that stole the 360 was living with her and
her boyfriend ( OP says her dad is a criminal having robbed someone of
an iPhone and then asked OP to unlock it), yet here the girl is
seemingly living with both her parents back at home. Why was her dad
living with her anyway? They both seemingly went back home to the mother.

Also OP, you clearly mention the girl hasn't told you her address, yet
the policeman is threatening to arrest her at a specific location, why
would she feel compelled to respond if she knows she hasn't told you or
him where she lives. And where would this specific address be? and how would the policeman know about it?

Also OP, you say you live in a great gated community etc, yet you say
on the 1st page you're planning on moving out that Saturday, why not
just say "guys I moved out already, I'm living elsewhere now" when
asked by a user here who was concerned you were still living in the
same place you were living at when you started the thread.

So, the Police officer wanted to help you get your 360 from the girl
before she admitted to having it AND without any proof the girl stole
the 360? So he decided to help you without having any proof that anybody actually stole the console?

I find that hard to believe..
Also, why would the policeman lie to the girl via email that they are
pursuing the case, this is his official email address. (based on what
YOU claim to have copy/pasted from your email exchange with him and
the footer at the end of his supposed email) and emails to and from
this account would be monitored and screened. This seems highly
unlikely as it is very unethical and based on people I know that work
in law enforcement, there's no way he wouldn't be reprimanded by his
superiors for this. It would be abuse of power if true.

I hardly think a police officer would risk his neck for your supposed
sentimental 360.

And that's why I really don't believe any of this.

People just need to read through this long enough to see that all of this is too coincidental to be true. It just so happens that he pays their bills and then all of a sudden the landlord has a problem with them living there and then kicks them out even though you were such a great guy to pay the bills for them. Then it just so happens that the ONLY thing they had of yours was a sentimental 360 and nothing else. Such a surprise that a,great guy like you who has been such a good Samaritan, did not lend them anything else.

Quite frankly, a real good guy would have reported the girl's father to the police the moment he was told that the iPhone was stolen or would have reported the domestic abuse happening next door.

Lkr

him where she lives. And where would this specific address be? and how would the policeman know about it?

the 360? So he decided to help you without having any proof that anybody actually stole the console?

sentimental 360.

People just need to read through this long enough to see that all of this is too coincidental to be true. It just so happens that he pays their bills and then all of a sudden the landlord has a problem with them living there and then kicks them out even though you were such a great guy to pay the bills for them. Then it just so happens that the ONLY thing they had of yours was a sentimental 360 and nothing else. Such a surprise that a,great guy like you who has been such a good Samaritan, did not lend them anything else.

Quite frankly, a real good guy would have reported the girl's father to the police the moment he was told that the iPhone was stolen or would have reported the domestic abuse happening next door.

jerry-seinfeld-kramer-pocker-face-Newman-winner-laugh.gif

the whole thing is weird but i still don't understand why someone would just make up a story like this tbh

Blam

Always someone in the works trying to make a thread like this seems false. Regardless OP it's good to hear that it's working out.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

sentimental 360.

Holy shit hahaha

Subbed.

Luminaire

jerry-seinfeld-kramer-pocker-face-Newman-winner-laugh.gif

the whole thing is weird but i still don't understand why someone would just make up a story like this tbh
Attention, validation, an effort to convince themselves and others not related to the event that they were wronged by someone, even if they were at fault. Telling the world how good of a person you are and how bad everyone around you is bad seems like a cry for attention. They want support, people on their side, and feed select information to make a story that people empathize with. Not to attack the OP, just speaking generally about these types of threads. They're often tailored to tug at heart strings and the information provided is often not reviewed after a seemingly careful selection.

Zarth

If it is real OP should be learning a valuable lesson that you don't ever lend/loan unless you're willing to accept you may never get the items/money back.

Izuna

Banned
I'm chuckling at the idea that I'm making this up. A mod is welcome to look at screenshots of emails and text messages.

Thanks for the laugh though.

Izuna

Banned

sentimental 360.

https://pastebin.com/g8Ga0RFt

Texts from myself and LL about the domestic violence.

It's from an XML backup because I just sold my Windows Phone (am cry)

.jpg

Police email address

But really, the fanfiction was great. yes, we are also very confused as to why the fuck the Father was living there while they had sex in the room.

--

As for the LL situation, you must understand, it was VERY hard after the fact to get £200/£266 that I was owed and I still don't have it yet. In fact, I only got that much back because another tenant said they would give it to me so they wouldn't pay towards rent next month in order to help out.

GameTechWatch

Neo Member
I would love to have police like that in my area; they don’t even answer their calls at 2am, let alone email me with updates about an official case at that time (or unofficial for that matter).

It’s just strange that the police would break the law to tell a minor that there are fake charges brought against them and threatens them with arrest even though there is no evidence anybody took the 360, so he just happens to trust you even though you could be a thief? Is that some kind of police intuition to spot a bad guy?

Maybe you should be a real good guy and report the policeman for “bluffing” to arrest a child

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
https://pastebin.com/g8Ga0RFt

Texts from myself and LL about the domestic violence.

It's from an XML backup because I just sold my Windows Phone (am cry)

KrJU6bv.jpg

Police email address

But really, the fanfiction was great. yes, we are also very confused as to why the fuck the Father was living there while they had sex in the room.

--

As for the LL situation, you must understand, it was VERY hard after the fact to get £200/£266 that I was owed and I still don't have it yet. In fact, I only got that much back because another tenant said they would give it to me so they wouldn't pay towards rent next month in order to help out.

So why didn't OP report the father to the police when he said he mugged someone for their iPhone? Also, why did the landlord want you out?

Lernaean

Banned

sentimental 360.

Are you fuckin Bruce Wayne?

sentimental 360.

What the fuck is happening.

ce56d86e44f653b88497867e6383dfaa.jpg

Izuna

Banned
So why didn't OP report the father to the police when he said he mugged someone for their iPhone? Also, why did the landlord want you out?

Landlord didn't want me out, he wanted me to stay. But it's been 6 months of paying in advance and not getting my money back.

I was moving out literally a few days before the iPhone got mugged. The only option would have been to call the police that very night and what I understand about policing, is that you don't arrest someone prior to an interview. It wasn't an emergency so I would have to live there while the passed of father was.

I stand by that decision being sensible.

I would love to have police like that in my area; they don’t even answer their calls at 2am, let alone email me with updates about an official case at that time (or unofficial for that matter).

It’s just strange that the police would break the law to tell a minor that there are fake charges brought against them and threatens them with arrest even though there is no evidence anybody took the 360, so he just happens to trust you even though you could be a thief? Is that some kind of police intuition to spot a bad guy?

Maybe you should be a real good guy and report the policeman for “bluffing” to arrest a child

They aren't fake charges. It is burglary by definition.

Tracking the i.p address is the only bluff

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Why is the police officer calling you by your nick? If I got such a mail I would laugh at it for being so transparent.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Maybe because it's my first name?

In any case it is not how an official mail would look like. Unless you want an eight year old to return the ball he stole from his buddy. I don't doubt that it is a legit mail from said police officer but it feels like a fake. Emails are easy enough to fake, so if I were the recipient I would just ignore it.

In any case it is not how an official mail would look like. Unless you want an eight year old to return the ball he stole from his buddy. I don't doubt that it is a legit mail from said police officer but it feels like a fake. Emails are easy enough to fake, so if I were the recipient I would just ignore it.

Yeah I agree with this,that email does not look legit and I'd just ignore it if I received it.

Where is the signature, contact telephone number, links to the main site or disclaimers? Not saying you faked it but it just doesn't look legit.

GameTechWatch

Neo Member
Landlord didn't want me out, he wanted me to stay. But it's been 6 months of paying in advance and not getting my money back.

I was moving out literally a few days before the iPhone got mugged. The only option would have been to call the police that very night and what I understand about policing, is that you don't arrest someone prior to an interview. It wasn't an emergency so I would have to live there while the passed of father was.

I stand by that decision being sensible.

They aren't fake charges. It is burglary by definition.

Tracking the i.p address is the only bluff

So here's the infuriating update

I literally (after all this time) got told by GM Police that "it costs money to track" the Xbox 360 with the supplied I.P. Address.

Despite having phone numbers, email addresses and the fact that the dude as priors... "too much effort mate!"

--

So essentially, he told me to BLUFF that they are pursuing the crime and scare them into returning the Xbox. He'll send an email, I'll send one, and that's all the help I'm going to get.

The bolded clearly shows that you were told to "bluff" in order to "scare" the girl into believing the police are pursuing the case, so...that means the policeman is lying to the minor by claiming he will arrest them and their boyfriend yet all he is going by is your side of the story.

HeeHo

It's a little disheartening to see so many people trying to dissect the story to try and reveal how fake they think it is. Especially about this, it's a goddamn Xbox 360.

Have you ever told somebody the truth about something relatively small and for whatever reason they simply do not believe you? it's infuriating. How the hell is anybody even supposed to voice any kind of concern they may have?

I've got an email from dibble on my gmail account. I just checked it. It's got a few more things on it than that one but it's very unprofessional looking also with no graphics. Way below what a corporate email would look like.

He5RPSv.png

Izuna

Banned
It's a little disheartening to see so many people trying to dissect the story to try and reveal how fake they think it is. Especially about this, it's a goddamn Xbox 360.

Have you ever told somebody the truth about something relatively small and for whatever reason they simply do not believe you? it's infuriating. How the hell is anybody even supposed to voice any kind of concern they may have?

It's actually a little hilarious, but it's undermining the thread enough that it's a shame such off-topic stuff keeps bumping this story. I want to bump only when there's an update and I don't feel like I need to clarify anything more. Otherwise, this thread isn't about the situation but convincing randos.

(low-key apology for biting the trolls to mods). I feel like I'm at the final stretch, where nothing more happens or it gets finalised in some way.

I've got an email from dibble on my gmail account. I just checked it. It's got a few more things on it than that one but it's very unprofessional looking also with no graphics. Way below what a corporate email would look like.

He5RPSv.png

Yeah, I have the same sort of signature

yZpV0fD.png

Kassovitz28

Neo Member
OK so,

Here we have an OP initially asking for asking for help for something he clearly values.

What he gets is a shit ton of "your situation isn't great, get a better one" and Captains Hindsight, as if anyone chooses to end up in this kind of troubles. At best it's unhelpful, at worse it's straight up insulting.
Oh and now OP even has to justify story is real ...

GAF I love you but come on ...

GameTechWatch

Neo Member

What would be really disheartening is if people come on here trying to prey on the goodwill of kind-hearted Gaffers.

He5RPSv.png

There's more holes in this story than just a shady looking email though. For starters, he's claiming an unnamed policeman told him to lie. This policeman apparently also lied to the 17yr old girl in order to scare them into giving an xbox 360 to a guy that had no proof the console ever belonged to him in the first place.

joecanada

What would be really disheartening is if people come on here trying to prey on the goodwill of kind-hearted Gaffers.

There's more holes in this story than just a shady looking email though. For starters, he's claiming an unnamed policeman told him to lie. This policeman apparently also lied to the 17yr old girl in order to scare them into giving an xbox 360 to a guy that had no proof the console ever belonged to him in the first place.

The story could be fake , seems a whole lot of effort to gain a measly thread on gaf. If it is who cares it's still fun to help .

But if your premise is that police don't bluff or lie to get results I have bad news for you. As a white middle class male I can supply personal stories where police have lied just to get us as young people to leave an area, go home , etc when we were just hanging out. I can't even imagine how it is for people who can't afford lawyers .

GameTechWatch

Neo Member
He turned down numerous offers of free Xboxs. Also the Police lie. This is not new.

Attention, validation, an effort to convince themselves and others not related to the event that they were wronged by someone, even if they were at fault. Telling the world how good of a person you are and how bad everyone around you is bad seems like a cry for attention. They want support, people on their side, and feed select information to make a story that people empathize with. Not to attack the OP, just speaking generally about these types of threads. They're often tailored to tug at heart strings and the information provided is often not reviewed after a seemingly careful selection.

This was said perfectly

So now police lie even though they don't have proof or evidence of any wrongdoing? We should say to Izuna exactly what the police supposedly said to his statements, and that is to laugh it off and say "too much effort mate!"

The story could be fake , seems a whole lot of effort to gain a measly thread on gaf. If it is who cares it's still fun to help .

But if your premise is that police don't bluff or lie to get results I have bad news for you. As a white middle class male I can supply personal stories where police have lied just to get us as young people to leave an area, go home , etc when we were just hanging out. I can't even imagine how it is for people who can't afford lawyers .

Can we compare apples with apples? Theft is very different to curfew. The police already admitted to him that they cant offer anymore help to him. Case Closed.

Then cue in a supposed policeman's email who tells the 17yr old that he will arrest them and their boyfriend if they don't hand over the 360, and what if the 360 really did belong to the girl? and OP here was a thief? Why would any cop believe OP's story without knowing the full story?

There was no evidence of a theft, burglary or any crime for that matter. Even the supposed domestic abuse

This was said perfectly

So now police lie even though they don't have proof or evidence of any wrongdoing? We should say to Izuna exactly what the police supposedly said to his statements, and that is to laugh it off and say "too much effort mate!"

Can we compare apples with apples? Theft is very different to curfew. The police already admitted to him that they cant offer anymore help to him. Case Closed.

Then cue in a supposed policeman's email who tells the 17yr old that he will arrest them and their boyfriend if they don't hand over the 360, and what if the 360 really did belong to the girl? and OP here was a thief? Why would any cop believe OP's story without knowing the full story?

There was no evidence of a theft, burglary or any crime for that matter. Even the supposed domestic abuse

yeah OK pal

NinjaBoiX

As if the police are going to help you locate an old console worth like £50. I know it's priceless to you but it isn't to them.

"Hi [],

You both moved out today, I noticed that my Xbox isn’t in the room? It’s kinda sentimental (the only thing left from my big brother). Could you bring it back or I can come to you?

Kindest,
Izuna"

I know you're trying to be sound here but the kind of scumbag who steals someone's Xbox isn't going to suddenly have an attack of conscience because you sent a softly worded email.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

If someone I'm close to just up and disappeared, I wouldn't really be worried about finding an Xbox360, but that's just me. I'd be asking the police to find them, especially an immediate relative. The question is: what is in those xbox files?

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member

#WeDidItGaf

I love seeing people say someone "should have" or "would have" acted in a certain way in a given scenario. Saying someone "should have" or "would have" reported a mugging someone bragged about as soon as it's said when they live next door? If he's violent enough to mug a stranger for an iPhone and get away with it, what's his proclivity going to be for someone that just snitched on him next door? His first thought will be "I only told --- about that..." which is the same problem as the other pieces of evidence entered into the record by our resident behavioral profilers here.

Top Bottom