• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox boss says hardware analysis between consoles is “meaningless”

Carnby

Unlike you, I don't just sit in front of my tv with my remote in my hand. Often times I'm cooking, or I have friends over and am playing a board game. saying xbox channel 44 is much better than finding the remote and switching. Saying xbox play radiohead, is better than grabbing a controller and futzing around through the menus. It is definitely useful for me, and is one of the main reasons I'll probably be switching to xbone for my main console next gen.

How did you ever survive until now without a Kinect?

Marleyman

Banned
Did I insult you? It wasn't intended to be an insult if that's how it was taken. I just noticed you seemed to be doing a lot of Xbone defending. And to be fair, I wasn't the only person to notice that.

Of course you did; I can have an opinion about something and it not being defending. I don't really care who says what; I enjoy gaming and happen to love gaming on my PS3 of late. It is the better system down the stretch IMO.

Bgamer90

Banned
I actually agree with this. I thought he was going to say something dumb about the cloud, but the parts I skimmed seemed to summarize to "the games matter, not the hardware". That's always been true. I'm pretty certain the generation will end and I'll still prefer my SNES and Genesis to the Xbone and PS4. I guess others do enjoy graphical fidelity. That price though, stings a little.

I would have spent $100 more on the PS2 than the original Xbox or Gamecube since it had more games I was interested in back then.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So you admit that there is a wow factor with a device like Kinect and the potential it has. And consider ing the 360 is still the best selling console month over month I'm pretty sure the Kinect is still an appealing product for most consumers.
Very important: In the US.

If it was WW the PS3 would never have catched up. It would have been mathematically impossible because it launched later.

guch20

Banned
Calling someone dense isn't in itself some terrible accusation, especially when the person IS being dense.

So you admit that there is a wow factor with a device like Kinect and the potential it has. And consider ing the 360 is still the best selling console month over month I'm pretty sure the Kinect is still an appealing product for most consumers.

The Kinect 2 is improved in everyway and will be bundled with every system. You'll see very few Kinect only games, but a plethora of games that incorporate the device in one way or another. Not to mention the actual console is built around the functionality.
Since whether or not a person is being "dense" is an opinion, it is an accusation. It's not verifiable fact. And it's up to the person being insulted to decide how terrible that accusation is.

Just because I disagree with his "perfect world vision for how radical Kinect is," means I'm dense? And because you obviously want to play Microsoft's White Knight, you agree? Seems rather childish.

guch20

Banned
Of course you did; I can have an opinion about something and it not being defending. I don't really care who says what; I enjoy gaming and happen to love gaming on my PS3 of late. It is the better system down the stretch IMO.
Of course I did what? Insult you? Then I apologize. It honestly wasn't intended. Just having a little fun with what I thought was a stretch of the truth.

Marleyman

Banned
Of course I did what? Insult you? Then I apologize. It honestly wasn't intended. Just having a little fun with what I thought was a stretch of the truth.

It is cool; just frustrating as I really enjoy both systems but have to hear that I defend MS; it is crazy.

guch20

Banned
I actually agree with this. I thought he was going to say something dumb about the cloud, but the parts I skimmed seemed to summarize to "the games matter, not the hardware". That's always been true. I'm pretty certain the generation will end and I'll still prefer my SNES and Genesis to the Xbone and PS4. I guess others do enjoy graphical fidelity. That price though, stings a little.

If they don't release a subsidized model, I'll eat my pants.

How did you ever survive until now without a Kinect?
Everyone wants touchscreen phones, but how did they every survive until the iphone?
Everyone wants tablets, but how did they every survive until now without a iPads?
Everyone uses browsers, cameras, and facebook and sms, but how did they every survive until the modern smartphones?
Everyone wants smaller indie games on consoles, but how did they every survive until XBLA and PSN?

Just because I disagree with his "perfect world vision for how radical Kinect is," means I'm dense? And because you obviously want to play Microsoft's White Knight, you agree? Seems rather childish.
You said that the Kinect is solution in search of problems. lastflowers tried to engage you by offering many ways in which a Kinect can make things a lot easier for him (and other users), and you decided to go on about how none of those apply to you.

What do you not understand about you not being the entire market? Don't make assumptions about everyone else and their use cases. And don't play the victim card and think everyone has an agenda just because they have differing opinions than you.

Rubius

Do the Math Microsoft.
true0203.jpg

guch20

Banned
Everyone wants touchscreen phones, but how did they every survive until the iphone?
Everyone wants tablets, but how did they every survive until now without a iPads?
Everyone uses browsers, cameras, and facebook and sms, but how did they every survive until the modern smartphones?
Everyone wants smaller indie games on consoles, but how did they every survive until XBLA and PSN?

Aside from making condescending remarks, do you have a point?
What is it with you calling everyone condescending? Do you have any skin in this game? Do you work for Microsoft? If not, there's literally no reason to take this shit so personally.

Do the Math Microsoft.

The most hilarious part of that is the "now, with 18 buttons!" like that's actually a good thing for a controller. how many fingers did atari think people have?

edit: Jaguar VR headset holy shit! Can you imagine Club Drive in VR?

What is it with you calling everyone condescending? Do you have any skin in this game? Do you work for Microsoft? If not, there's literally no reason to take this shit so personally.
Here you go gain by implying that anyone other than you has some sort of agenda.

This is why no one wants to engage in a conversation with you.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Here you go gain by implying that anyone other than you has some sort of agenda.

You have defended Microsoft when they introduced the inability to rent and sell games privately.

You do not get to turn it around on him and now play the victim card yourself. Your stance on Microsoft is clear no matter the policies, don't even deny that shit.

So stop assuming that it's a solution in search of problems. You are projecting your lack of use for everyone's lack of use. Don't be dense.

He projecting it's lack of necessity in videogame console. If the tech works, if it's worth owning for some people, then sell it as separate device. There are people who clearly don't want anything to do with kinect or multitasking voice activated tv controls and just want to buy the damn thing for videogames. There are probably a lot of people who don't want anything to do with the videogames and XBL and just want to have it for the kinect stuff. All MS is doing is screwing people in both categories.

Enjoying videogames does not mean you enjoy TV and enjoying TV does not mean you like videogames. They are separate interests and MS acts like it's all one big bubble.

goomba

Banned
He is completly right and the end result of this gen being Wii > 360 > PS3 proves the point just as it did in previous generations.

Remember when people said the power of the cell in the ps3 would mean it would dominate ?

guch20

Banned
The most hilarious part of that is the "now, with 18 buttons!" like that's actually a good thing for a controller. how many fingers did atari think people have?

I vividly remember a friend of mine, convinced it would be the next big thing, saving up every last dollar to get a 3DO at launch. He would talk for hours--if you'd let him--about how it was going to change gaming. It had better graphics than anything out there and played games off CDs, so the sound would be amazing.

It didn't launch with a bunch of games, but I remember him eagerly awaiting Jurassic Park Interactive, because it was going to be "just like controlling the characters in the movie." I took him to the local Meijer store (think Walmart, but bigger and localized to the Great Lakes region) to pick it up and dropped him off at home.

The next day, I went to his house to play me some Jurassic Park, only to find it and its case stomped into a million piece in the corner. I asked what happened and he just looked at his 3DO and said "Fucking thing sucks."

Ahh, memories of consoles past.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He is completly right and the end result of this gen being Wii > 360 > PS3 proves the point just as it did in previous generations.

Remember when people said the power of the cell in the ps3 would mean it would dominate ?

This was before 599 USD and Sony arrogance.

Carnby

He projecting it's lack of necessity in videogame console. If the tech works, if it's worth owning for some people, then sell it as separate device. There are people who clearly don't want anything to do with kinect or multitasking voice activated tv controls and just want to buy the damn thing for videogames. There are probably a lot of people who don't want anything to do with the videogames and XBL and just want to have it for the kinect stuff. All MS is doing is screwing people in both categories.

Enjoying video games does not mean you enjoy TV and enjoying TV does not mean you like video games. They are separate interests and MS acts like it's all one big bubble.

Well said. I am a gamer who doesn't even have a cable subscription.

guch20

Banned

Yes, I'm implying an agenda by asking a question. That's not paranoid in the least. I'm not saying anyone other than me has an agenda. I'm asking if you do because you're taking this shit far worse than just about anyone here.

And as for conversations, I don't see me getting any more negative attention than you are. So what does that say about you?

Didn't seem meaningless at the start of this generation.

Major Nelson said:
Xbox 360 vs. PS3 (Part 1 of 4)

One of the great things about working at Xbox is that we have some of the smartest people in the world working on the Xbox 360. When Sony came announced the PS3, along with the product specs some of our team started looking at some of the numbers to see what they mean. Floating Point, shaders, bandwidth….what does it all mean. Clearly there are some numbers and stats that mean more to gaming then others, so the team cranked out some facts for everyone to absorb. Our world class technology team looked at the numbers and claims and decided to do what everyone else does: compare them to the PS3. The difference it that these guys are uniquely qualified to do so, and can cut through the smoke and mirrors to see what the real deal is. To that end, I present this summary, which I have broken up into four parts to make it more RSS Reader friendly.

Warning: Some of this stuff may make your head hurt, but these are the facts as they stand right now. Enjoy the read:

XBOX 360 / PLAYSTATION 3 PERFORMANCE COMPARISON

SUMMARY
Now that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 specifications have been announced, it is possible to do a real world performance comparison of the two systems.

There are three critical performance aspects of a console:
? Central Processing Unit (CPU) performance.
o The Xbox 360 CPU architecture has three times the general purpose processing power of the Cell.
? Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) performance
o The Xbox 360 GPU design is more flexible and it has more processing power than the PS3 GPU.
? Memory System Bandwidth
o The memory system bandwidth in Xbox 360 exceeds the PS3′s by five times.

http://majornelson.com/2005/05/20/xbox-360-vs-ps3-part-1-of-4/

Larry should do another comparison this time round.

guch20

Banned
ps4 and xbone are already subsidised consoles, by the online paywall.

Fair point. I meant subsidized like a cell phone though, where you'd buy the console for $200 bucks or so, then pay whatever amount (over the price of Gold) per month.

There was so much talk about this before E3, I find it hard to believe it isn't in the pipe. Who knows though. Plans change all the time and rumors often come from nothing.

You have defended Microsoft when they introduced the inability to rent and sell games privately.

You do not get to turn it around on him and now play the victim card yourself. Your stance on Microsoft is clear no matter the policies, don't even deny that shit.
People have opinions that are different than mine. OHH NOOO!!

I liked the old policies. I wouldn't have had any problems with them, and they would've provided me with advantages.

At the same time, I understood why others DID have a problem with them.

What's baffling is when people who don't like something (Kinect, DRM policies) absolutely refuse to see why others might have an opposite point of view. Then it's down to the name-calling and shit. Not unlike what you're doing here.

And yet when people present opinions different from your own, they're being "dense" and "condescending." The hypocrisy is stunning.

whoa, whoa, it wasn't meant to actually be taken literally. Sorry if it came across that way. I was merely trying to say there are valid use cases for the Kinect, ones that I plan on using. I definitely get the point that it isn't for everyone, and for many people it doesn't justify the cost at all. My main point was that it's useful to get it in the box because there are valid uses for a lot of people, me included, and to assume that there is no uses is being a little 'dense'. You've cleared it up that there are use cases, and that you think it's reaching by the xbox team to assume that all gamers should have to have one in the box. I respect that.

EDIT: Can we all be friends, add me on psn cjarrett3 and I'll play some soul sacrifice on the vita or some TLoU multiplayer :)

whoa, whoa, it wasn't meant to actually be taken literally. Sorry if it came across that way. I was merely trying to say there are valid use cases for the Kinect, ones that I plan on using. I definitely get the point that it isn't for everyone, and for many people it doesn't justify the cost at all. My main point was that it's useful to get it in the box because there are valid uses for a lot of people, me included, and to assume that there is no uses is being a little 'dense'. You've cleared it up that there are use cases, and that you think it's reaching by the xbox team to assume that all gamers should have to have one in the box. I respect that.

EDIT: Can we all be friends, add me on psn cjarrett3 and I'll play some soul sacrifice on the vita or some TLoU multiplayer :)

As an innocent bystander, I don't think you were being rude.

Ricky_R

The Kinect 2 is improved in everyway and will be bundled with every system. You'll see very few Kinect only games, but a plethora of games that incorporate the device in one way or another. Not to mention the actual console is built around the functionality.

You're saying that like it's a good thing.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Why the use case of using voice recognition requires a camera instead of a microphone is the real question.

Assuming you're not talking about an alternative of having people walking around with a headset on all the time for voice recognition, which would obviously not be comfortable or convenient, Kinect actually uses the camera to help determine who is talking which helps with filtering out background noise and can be used to restrict voice commands to specific people.

abadguy

Banned
Is it just me, or did a ton of people turn into super-douches after E3?

This is war, gentlemen!

Its already not bad as people wanted. Remember: "forget about 1080p and 60fps on X720", "Kinect, Kinect, Kinect".

Pretty much. Now after the DRM thing is gone they need to look for other ways to take the X1 down a few pegs. God forbid it doesn't turn out as "weak" as they want it to be. I already see people in the other thread desperately hoping for the the downclock rumor to be true. It's becoming a real joke at this point.

Myansie

“The box is going to be awesome. The games are going to be awesome. I heard this exact same argument last generation and it’s a pointless argument, because people are debating things which they don’t know about. They’re not [head silicon engineer] Nick Baker or [corporate vice president of IEB hardware Todd Holmdahl], and I’m not [lead PS4 architect] Mark Cerny, so why are we having this discussion?”

This quote reminds me of Major Nelson's microphone grabbing interview with Angry Joe. It's insulting to the gaming audiences intelligence. You don't need to be an engineer to be able to say with a great deal of confidence that a Ferrari Italia 458 is faster than a Porsche Boxster. Nor do you even need to have even driven them. The specs sheets lay it out pretty plainly, plus with alot of available expert commentary it's easy to tell which is the faster car and the same goes for the XBox One and PS4. The Porsche still has a major advantage over the Ferrari though. It's cheaper, so more people can buy it.

I wonder if the engineer's explained pricing or do you need to talk to the suits on Wall St to understand that?

TheD

The Detective
This is war, gentlemen!

Pretty much. Now after the DRM thing is gone they need to look for other ways to take the X1 down a few pegs. God forbid it doesn't turn out as "weak" as they want it to be. I already see people in the other thread desperately hoping for the the downclock rumor to be true. It's becoming a real joke at this point.

Even sans downclock it does have a GPU that is 1/3 less powerful than the PS4 GPU! (and with half the ROPs).

Nothing will change that.

Top Bottom