• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 2016 Press Conference: June 13th at 9:30 AM PDT / 12:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not the kind of map you expected but this is the whole area apparently:

It's not really a map but it looks open worldish? I think

sea-of-thieves-1.jpg

I may be coming into this conversation lacking proper context, but isn't that more like a hub (like Destiny)? Being a pirate game, that's obviously too small to be everything, so I imagine missions, quests, and the like are launched from that area.

RoKKeR

I thought they said it was the whole area but I just looked it up again and apparently it's just the full island, which I guess can be took either way.

https://twitter.com/AskCaptainBones/status/720305333738954752?lang=en-gb

The way he writes it makes me think it's just that area, otherwise he'd say "Here's the artwork for one of the islands in SeaOfThieves" instead of "Here's your full SeaOfThieves island artwork" Do we know if there'll be more islands? Because that's not what I'm taking from that tweet and the reveal trailer didn't really look like it..

That just looks like one of many islands that will most assuredly be in the game.

Chris1

I may be coming into this conversation lacking proper context, but isn't that more like a hub (like Destiny)? Being a pirate game, that's obviously too small to be everything, so I imagine missions, quests, and the like are launched from that area.
I'm not sure, I posted the tweet that pic originated from on the last page and he said it was the full Sea Of Thieves island, so..

I wouldn't say it's too small, it depends how many caves etc there is which can really be as big as you want even if the over world is small.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
we are really thinking thats the full map? for a destiny like mmo? called sea of thieves? whit a large emphasis on sailing?

I'm not sure, I posted the tweet that pic originated from on the last page and he said it was the full Sea Of Thieves island, so..

I wouldn't say it's too small, it depends how many caves etc there is which can really be as big as you want even if the over world is small.

Ah, I see. Either way, only a few days until we find out! Getting hard to repress my excitement for this E3.

I thought they said it was the whole area but I just looked it up again and apparently it's just the full island, which I guess can be took either way.

The way he writes it makes me think it's just that area, otherwise he'd say "Here's the artwork for one of the islands in SeaOfThieves" instead of "Here's your full SeaOfThieves island artwork" Do we know if there'll be more islands? Because that's not what I'm taking from that tweet and the reveal trailer didn't really look like it..

It's a game about pirates and sailing. There's going to be multiple Islands.

Damn I can't wait to hear more (especially more of the music). Really hoping we get a look at some new exotic environments like glaciers, caves, etc.

blakep267

I think there's a misunderstanding. Originally they posted a small portion of the island and then said if they get 300 retweets they would post the full picture of the island. It's possible that that's the entire hub world.

mike4001_

Are there ANY surprises left?

Seems like we know all too much right now (between Scorpio details, hardware, slim, etc)

Any unannounced bombs or anything not hinted at already?

This is kind of the problem of a Western Company against the Japanese.

They can hold their stuff much more tight ;-)

Leflus

He phrased it that way because he had teased the reveal earlier:

https://twitter.com/AskCaptainBones/status/720295429435297792

Here's some concept art for one of the other islands:

https://twitter.com/AskCaptainBones/status/637257483975847936

VinFTW

I really just want new IPs and new studios. They did great with new IPs last year.

The studio thing is key though, especially with the closure of Lionhead.

Really need somethings fantasy/rpg related :(

Welfare

I really just want new IPs and new studios. They did great with new IPs last year.

Scalebound is just what you're looking for.

VinFTW

Scalebound is just what you're looking for.
True, but could be considered more of an action game with rpg elements.

I'm talking full on rpg, more like... Fable unfortunately.

Hmm, I guess that is kinda what I'm looking for. Need to see a bit more of it to be sure though.

Zeta Oni

Hey, crossposting some info from my Scalebound breakdown thread:

So, the website that leaked the potential Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Remaster also has a page up now for Scalebound:

http://www.base.com/buy/product/scal...eboundxbox.htm

Whats curious is here is the release date, listed as March 31st in the UK.

With the delay of the game to 2017, a rumored Microsoft hardware refresh taking place during spring 2017, as well as the rumors of the scorpio, I have to say this date is pretty believable.

Reason I'm bringing it up here is with the rumored Scorpio at E3 comments we have been discussing, do you think a potential reveal now and release early spring 2017 during the other updates of MS hardware to be possible?

Scalebound would be an excellent title to show off the differences in power between consoles imo.

bidguy

Banned
Hey, crossposting some info from my Scalebound breakdown thread:

Reason I'm bringing it up here is with the rumored Scorpio at E3 comments we have been discussing, do you think a potential reveal now and release early spring 2017 during the other updates of MS hardware to be possible?

Scalebound would be an excellent title to show off the differences in power between consoles imo.

yea i cant see scalebound running too well on xbone. maybe this is why it was bumped to 2017 ? i can honestly see this as a scorpio title

I don;t mind them not having many first parties, but they need to sort some things out.

Their first parties are focusing too much on sequels and they are seemingly dropping sequels from 3rd party partnerships like flies.

They HAVE to announce Ryse 2, Sunset Overdrive 2, Alan Wake 2 as well revive older ips Like Lost Odyssey.

Honestly it's getting a bit tiring being pumped up by a new IP ms announces, buy and really enjoy the game, but then have to go through years of incertity on whether there will ever be a sequel or not.

VinFTW

I don;t mind them not having many first parties, but they need to sort some things out.

Their first parties are focusing too much on sequels and they are seemingly dropping sequels from 3rd party partnerships like flies.

They HAVE to announce Ryse 2, Sunset Overdrive 2, Alan Wake 2 as well revive older ips Like Lost Odyssey.

Honestly it's getting a bit tiring being pumped up by a new IP ms announces, buy and really enjoy the game, but then have to go through years of incertity on whether there will ever be a sequel or not.
Id love a quantum break 2 and sunset overdrive 2 (especially SO).

So I agree.

rrc1594

Facts I'm hoping by putting games on W10 this allows bigger chances for sequels. I really hope we get SO2

Zedox

Facts I'm hoping by putting games on W10 this allows bigger chances for sequels. I really hope we get SO2

That's one of the main reasons why I'm happy with UWP...games being able to be downloaded from other sources have a higher probability to get success and sequels.

yea i cant see scalebound running too well on xbone. maybe this is why it was bumped to 2017 ? i can honestly see this as a scorpio title

I wonder if they will drop graphical fidelity on xbone. The last gameplay trailer looked incredible, but it was running very poorly.

Perhaps the Scorpio will have those graphics and be smooth, while on xbone it will be downgraded.

Zeta Oni

I wonder if they will drop graphical fidelity on xbone. The last gameplay trailer looked incredible, but it was running very poorly.

Perhaps the Scorpio will have those graphics and be smooth, while on xbone it will be downgraded.

While I'm certain a scorpio version will look better, keep in mind that by the time the game releases, that footage will be more than 1 1/2 years old.

I'm certain we will see updated graphics, a better UI, and much more stability in performance by the time the game is released for the regular xbox one.

Yeah I agree, I think its the perfect title for a Scorpio launch.

-Open World on UE4 to show of graphical capabilities
-4 player Co-op to show (hopefully) crossplay between XScorpio/Xbone/W10
-Shows some diversity in MS's lineup

Chris1

Sea of Thieves could be something special. I hope MS don't rush and allow Rare as much time as they need.

All depends if Rare can do justice to the gameplay which I hope they will. It's a shared world pirate game, two of the biggest things this gen (Destiny/Division/AC4). I like to think it has a high chance of success if Rare do right by the gameplay. Since Phil is a big Destiny guy, I'm sure he's pushing the end game to be more like Destiny and less like Division aswell.

Art style is a problem but a good beta will make people look past that. Right now the game feels like Division all over again, nobody really caring much about it until the beta happened then hype blows up.

That's one of the main reasons why I'm happy with UWP...games being able to be downloaded from other sources have a higher probability to get success and sequels.

Me too. Hopefully it becomes a viable platform for Ms go batshit insane with investments and revive all their previously dropped tries and give then a proper chance to succeed.

For example, I would love to see a Crimson Dragon Saga *-*

JaggedSac

Me too. Hopefully it becomes a viable platform for Ms go batshit insane with investments and revive all their previously dropped tries and give then a proper chance to succeed.

1 vs 100 would be much more likely to succeed when including PC.

This has been annoying to me too. That's why I have been keen on seeing them release a 90-plus metacritic new IP because the universal acclaim will help sales and increase the likelihood of getting a sequel.

Chris1

This has been annoying to me too. That's why I have been keen on seeing them release a 90-plus metacritic new IP because the universal acclaim will help sales and increase the likelihood of getting a sequel.
I agree the metacritics aren't helping, but the only game I see getting 90+ meta this gen from MS is Scalebound unless they come out with a huge surprise. And Scalebound sales.. Um I think we should just keep hoping for a SO2 instead.

I've said it before but MS really fucked up not releasing all these new IP's last gen when they had the install base and a higher chance at games succeeding. If they released SO, QB etc last gen I have no doubts they'd have sold much better than they did on XB1. Now they're trying to play catchup with a lower install base meaning less sales, and because of the lower install base there's less hype which also means even less sales.

When you're in the lead IMO your #1 priority should be to pump out new franchise after new franchise to build them up, then when you fuck up a gen and hurt in sales, pump out sequels and they'll come crawling back. It makes sense to me at least, but what do I know :p

I agree the metacritics aren't helping, but the only game I see getting 90+ meta this gen from MS is Scalebound unless they come out with a huge surprise. And Scalebound sales.. Um I think we should just keep hoping for a SO2 instead.

I've said it before but MS really fucked up not releasing all these new IP's last gen when they had the install base and a higher chance at games succeeding. If they released SO, QB etc last gen I have no doubts they'd have sold much better than they did on XB1. Now they're trying to play catchup with a lower install base meaning less sales, and because of the lower install base there's less hype which also means even less sales.

When you're in the lead IMO your #1 priority should be to pump out new franchise after new franchise to build them up, then when you fuck up a gen and hurt in sales, pump out sequels and they'll come crawling back. It makes sense to me at least, but what do I know :p

If Scalebound gets a 90-plus, its going to do just fine. It's an open-world RPG where you ride a fucking dragon. That concept has plenty of mainstream appeal.

Fake but they are really grasping at the low hanging fruit here. Their next fake should be fake menu/splash screen for Forza 7.

Zedox

Yep. They can start focusing less on the platform once it matures (which will happen with time) and more on games. More risks involved. And once they open the store for UWP games (with equal power if ur in ID@Xbox or big publisher) we'll get even more experiences from other developers and people can make a name for themselves like XBLIG (but better handled).

I actually think it is "ok" that they have a smaller install base and releasing these IPs. Sure it would have been better to have a bigger audience to release them but having a small one could do it justice as well because people talk and word of mouth helps a lot and they can grow that install base. Plus, when you aren't leading, you try harder...MS (as a whole) tries much better when they are coming from behind (twss) and we as consumers get better products (for the most part, they still fuck up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom