• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Rare has something else cooking, I don't really expect them to risk undercutting​ Sea of Thieves with another Rare game.

If they did it it would be one of those CG trailers that are basically a declaration of intent like FF7 remake and what they did in 2014 with Crackdown, Phantom Dust, and Scaelbound.

Tonky

If they did it it would be one of those CG trailers that are basically a declaration of intent like FF7 remake and what they did in 2014 with Crackdown, Phantom Dust, and Scaelbound.
I don't think MS needs any more of those "declarations of intents" right now.

Hexer06

Hype. Can't wait to see CD3.

You guys think we'll get a beta for Crackdown 3?

We sure as fuck better! Lol. No way do they try and release this without having one. That's just ASKING for a nightmare launch. Then when Crackdown 3 comes out, we'll get our Halo 6 beta with it. ;)

blakep267

Halo 5 was unlocked through the MCC. But otherwise they could do:

Crackdown 3 - few weeks closed beta

Then after a few weeks open the gates.
I live halo. But it's not that much of a draw to make people buy a game anymore. Plus you want as many people Possible playing your beta

Bsigg12

How long will be dedicated to games in the Xbox Game Preview program? I figure we'll get a Player Unknown's Battlegrounds availability announcement and possibly 1-2 other major announcements for the program.

Hexer06

How long will be dedicated to games in the Xbox Game Preview program? I figure we'll get a Player Unknown's Battlegrounds availability announcement and possibly 1-2 other major announcements for the program.

I kinda wouldn't mind a decent amount spent on it (5-8 mins). That's more games we'll be able to play roughly "soon." I've been pretty happy with a few of the Game Preview games so far. :)

Yoday

I expect we'll see that and a super quick mention of Fable Fortune.

I've been looking at what exactly was the first State of Decay, since I had barely heard about it, and it definitely seems interesting. A bigger and more polished sequel could be really good, first one seems to do unique things that I'm interested in. I'm glad I watched some videos, because that's now one more game I'm looking forward to see at E3. It wasn't on my radar at all.
I loved the first. It's certainly janky and buggy, but all the simulation systems and management more than make up for it.

Crackdown 3 is going to have all the cool Crackdown ideas that David Jones and crew never got to realize which excites me.

I just would like more story justification for the things you're doing in the game, so it isn't just aimless wondering without some kind of narrative. It doesn't need to be all sophisticated, but I really want to see them do better there.

Wow, I went back and watched the footage on the tech at work in this game, and good god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWANLy9TjRc

This is from 2015. Imagine this thing on Scorpio...

How in god's name will they manage all the server traffic for calculating all the destruction that people will be causing in this game?

Yoday

I just would like more story justification for the things you're doing in the game, so it isn't just aimless wondering without some kind of narrative. It doesn't need to be all sophisticated, but I really want to see them do better there.

Wow, I went back and watched the footage on the tech at work in this game, and good god.

I did the same a few days ago. I feel like CD3 could be a big hit at E3 this year. Everyone likes to completely dismiss it because it's an Xbox game and we haven't seen anything on it in two years, but I think that's all the more reason it could shock people. We are basically going into E3 blind on this game, and come Sunday it will not only be fully revealed, but within a few months of release.

I mean, honestly we know and have seen so little of CD3 that it's practically a brand new reveal this year.

Hexer06

How in god's name will they manage all the server traffic for calculating all the destruction that people will be causing in this game?

I've wondered this since the start of the idea came up. I'm hoping MS can handle it. The only reason I think they might be able to is cuz isn't Azure like top 3 cloud servers in the world? I'll have to fact check that real quick. :p
Edit: No clue if I'm right so someone correct my info if they can please, my google abilities suck apparently. lol

gamz

I've wondered this since the start of the idea came up. I'm hoping MS can handle it. The only reason I think they might be able to is cuz isn't Azure like top 3 cloud servers in the world? I'll have to fact check that real quick. :p

Of course it can. Even if 5M people buy the game how many will be on at the same time. Azure is fucking huge. Childs play.

I'm so excited for the Scorpio yet I'm still playing on my 7 year old 1080p tv, I don't plan on biting on a 4k tv until late November when the Black Friday deals come.

I dunno, first one was so fun and amazing because the narrative didn't get in the way. It was mainly you have to kill those guys, and this is your playground, you find them there eventually. Enjoy!

rokkerkory

Picture of the talk:

A4ZVTmC.jpg

I guess it must be true.

So swaggy

jeffram

Yeah interview are great and all, but they get up on stage they say "Scorpio will lead the console industry into TRUE 4K gaming." Then they follow it up with tweets that repeat the term "True 4K" and tease Scorpio by showing its chip that has the 4K etching crofting and Center. When they put their marketing team on it, that's the messaging, that's what reaches consumers and journalists.

Syrus

Banned
I'm so excited for the Scorpio yet I'm still playing on my 7 year old 1080p tv, I don't plan on biting on a 4k tv until late November when the Black Friday deals come.

Any game with dynanic resolution will be aolid 1080p on acorpio with no frame drops.

That alone is worth it.

RoKKeR

Damn, getting me weirdly hyped for CD3. I think it could be the showcase game for Scorpio and Xbox this year, I hope they bring some great stuff to the floor.

Also more Ashen please!

Yeah interview are great and all, but they get up on stage they say "Scorpio will lead the console industry into TRUE 4K gaming." Then they follow it up with tweets that repeat the term "True 4K" and tease Scorpio by showing its chip that has the 4K etching crofting and Center. When they put their marketing team on it, that's the messaging, that's what reaches consumers and journalists.

If the reports (from multiple sources from even the beginning of the year) are correct Scorpio was more capable than everyone was anticipating from the specs and developers are having no trouble hitting 4K.

Guess we will have to wait a few more days, but I think for short to mid term most games should be 4k on scorpio without having to cut corners.

Syrus

Banned
If the reports (from multiple sources from even the beginning of the year) are correct Scorpio was more capable than everyone was anticipating from the specs and developers are having no trouble hitting 4K.

Guess we will have to wait a few more days, but I think for short to mid term most games should be 4k on scorpio without having to cut corners.

I need it

Trup1aya

If MS don't do a Halo 6 beta for Crackdown 3 I will be very dissapointed at the missed oppurtunity.

It definately would be a missed opportunity!!

They will do a Halo 6 beta without requiring a purchase of another game.

Sure, they can do am open beta after the closed beta for Crackdown owners

I live halo. But it's not that much of a draw to make people buy a game anymore. Plus you want as many people Possible playing your beta

Closed betas are a useful tool, because they tend to draw the people most interested in providing feedback.

Open betas these days are generally just demos that double as stress tests.

There's no reason 343 cant use both in the build-up to h6.

Crackdown 3 is going to have all the cool Crackdown ideas that David Jones and crew never got to realize which excites me.
Yeah Dave Jones making CD3 is pretty huge, he pretty much only swings big with his projects.
https://twitter.com/aurora44games/status/872280112351268864

Guess we can assume Ashen will make another appearance, if not at the conference than, at least on the showfloor.
Yessss can't wait to see this game.

Sure, they can do am open beta after the closed beta for Crackdown owners

I guess I just don't see it happening personally. H3 beta was tied to the original CD because they really wanted to sell something that they knew was good, and Halo multiplayer at the time was the biggest thing in gaming. Due to both Halo's different place in the market now and the fact that open betas are pretty much a given for any AAA multiplayer game these days, I just don't see the same market appeal to the move.

jeffram

I'm not doubting its ability to hit 4k on any game by tweaking graphics options. I think it's to their disadvantage to publicly indicate that it's a true 4k box, and inherently set that expectation for the games on it. Devs should be free to turn the settings up to ultra at 1800p without it looking like a failed promise.

Hawk269

I think the memory bandwidth, the extra RAM and even the custom changes to the CPU is what a lot of people I think are underestimating or not putting a lot of faith into. I know it is still a Jaguar and some people are thinking that they only did a 9% up clock over the PRO CPU but I think all the other things they have done is what is going to help them achieve some of the goals.

I also believe there will be more to it than Xbox One games at 4k and that is it. I know many people are thinking that is all it will be, same settings, same textures, same everything but just in 4k. With the extra RAM they can use that for better textures and other things that can help games. The memory bandwidth and the better GPU and CPU enhancements will also bring a lot better AF, better shadows and perhaps other IQ enhancements.

Hawk269

How do you all think they will present Xbox 360 BC on Scorpio? I don't see them spending time on the conference for it other than a bullet point as they talk about Scorpio. I think when they have the after show interviews of on Xbox Live they will touch on it. I am interested to see how much better BC games work on Scorpio. The fact that games run better on Xbox One than they did on original hardware, it would be interesting to see what the extra horsepower brings to these games.

Trup1aya

I'm not doubting its ability to hit 4k on any game by tweaking graphics options. I think it's to their disadvantage to publicly indicate that it's a true 4k box, and inherently set that expectation for the games on it. Devs should be free to turn the settings up to ultra at 1800p without it looking like a failed promise.

It's wont look like a failed promise. The box is (apparently) capable of hitting massive 4k on most popular 3rd party engines.

If devs decide against shipping a 4K game, it won't be because the box isn't truly capable. The ARE free yup ship the games however they want and ME couldn't be more clear about that.

Trup1aya

I guess I just don't see it happening personally. H3 beta was tied to the original CD because they really wanted to sell something that they knew was good, and Halo multiplayer at the time was the biggest thing in gaming. Due to both Halo's different place in the market now and the fact that open betas are pretty much a given for any AAA multiplayer game these days, I just don't see the same market appeal to the move.

It would just be a fan service.

Closed betas and open betas are both common place these days. It isn't uncommon for a single game to have one of each before launch.

I dunno, first one was so fun and amazing because the narrative didn't get in the way. It was mainly you have to kill those guys, and this is your playground, you find them there eventually. Enjoy!

I don't know I needed more to be honest. It felt like I had no purpose. It lacked a feeling of accomplishment for me.I thought it had the potential to be Microsoft's GTA light with some crazy out there ideas. But like the mission structure felt almost non-existent to me. It had some great ideas, and I hope this next game takes all of that to the next level.

One thing that kind of worried me was whether the focus on the tech and the impressiveness of it all might get in the way of interesting gameplay design choices. Although, in fairness, the tech itself is indeed a major part of those interesting gameplay design ideas, but I hope they really bring it with this game.

Oh shit, literally as I was typing this I decided to go search out some stuff, and I did NOT see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGlL_bw_ptk

They appear to be fighting a fucking mech or robot of some sort. Looks like a lot more interesting type of enemy combat there, and they also say they're doing a stronger narrative, which is easily one of my biggest complaints about the first crackdown. Not every game needs to try to tell some stunning story, but give me something for my imagination, you know? I need to really believe that I'm stepping into these worlds and that I have some purpose beyond "go fuck shit up." I'm a lot more excited about Crackdown now after seeing this video. And the fact so little of this game has been shown makes it literally the perfect thing to show off on Scorpio.

That's kinda my point, the document leaked in jan/feb and later reiterated by Ms on DF is that devs should have no trouble hitting 4K with higher settings even for games that originally run at 900p on xbone.

From the leaked docs from earlier in the year, even if a game is originally 900p you could use ultra or close to ultra by rendering those effects only in lower res (and with the ability to checkerboard them), instead of the entire screen, visually creating higher quality settings even with the game focusing 4K.

And that was a leaked document but Ms alluded it again during the DF, they said that with the power to spare developers could opt to use some ultra settings from PC, but they could possibly tune these settings for the console (lowering resolution, precision, refresh and sample rate etc) to be able to push visuals even further.

For reference, Jez has said a couple times on twitter that he heard Battlefron 2 is 4k60 at ultra-like settings on Scorpio.

jeffram

It's wont look like a failed promise. The box is (apparently) capable of hitting massive 4k on most popular 3rd party engines.

If devs decide against shipping a 4K game, it won't be because the box isn't truly capable. The ARE free yup ship the games however they want and ME couldn't be more clear about that.
It's know TFs aren't the the entire story, but to hit true 4K in comparison to sony's checkard board on the pro, they need to increase resolution by 100% with only 40-50% more GPU power. The math doesn't make sense unless sacrifices are made elsewhere.

If devs chase true 4K and in doing so drop a few more frames than the do on the Pro, the headlines will read "Scorpio performs worse than PS4 pro" that's what happened to the pro when it dropped a frame or two while doubling the resolution of PS4 games.

I'd rather see devs use the power the way they want, and yes they are free to do what they want, but not completely free. Microsoft is trmpeting true 4K in their marketing which sets soft targets for devs, if only to appease what they think Microsoft wants or their consumers want.

My original post was not to cast any negative light on the Scorpio, but to point out that Microsoft is putting themselves in a bad spot with the "true 4k" marketing and I hope that they stop. Unfortunately, from what's come out from them in the last few weeks, it seems like that's don't intend to.

The Scorpio looks like it's expertly engineered, and they did a great job being aggressive with the tech, MS shouldn't let it down with poorly thought out marketing or marketing that is based of of what competitors are doing.

I think the memory bandwidth, the extra RAM and even the custom changes to the CPU is what a lot of people I think are underestimating or not putting a lot of faith into. I know it is still a Jaguar and some people are thinking that they only did a 9% up clock over the PRO CPU but I think all the other things they have done is what is going to help them achieve some of the goals.

I also believe there will be more to it than Xbox One games at 4k and that is it. I know many people are thinking that is all it will be, same settings, same textures, same everything but just in 4k. With the extra RAM they can use that for better textures and other things that can help games. The memory bandwidth and the better GPU and CPU enhancements will also bring a lot better AF, better shadows and perhaps other IQ enhancements.

They also did a lot of little important things to the GPU that while they might be less about fancy buzzword sounding features, may target some very important xbox one limitations on key games and engines. There might be an engine they profiled that would perform extraordinarily if only Microsoft had a little bit more space or capability in a specific section of the GPU. We don't know how far Microsoft may have went into addressing specific bottlenecks with the explicit intention of allowing that engine to absolutely fucking sing on Scorpio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom