• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Fitness any good?

T.O.P

Banned
It's pretty damn great

I've been doing the 1 hour Kick Boxing / Cardio session for a while now, great way to start the day

I'm back guys, gave the app a while to boot and finally I got going! I did the first 20 min session of Athlete. Damn I'm completely exhausted here, but it was really fun. Xbox Fitness is really underated, everyone should give it a go!

EBE

Xbox Fitness+Dance Central (or just dance, whichever is your preference)+Shape Up
thats the way to go. lots of fun, good work outs, you will see results if you keep at it

fedexpeon

Banned
Yes, I have been telling people to get the XB1+Kinect for this reason along when MS made the announcement about this fitness program a year ago.
I don't know why MS doesn't market this as a weight loss tool kit instead of showing CoD footage on TV.
I even made a stupid prediction that MS won the console race with XB fitness...but MS bet on the wrong horse and supported to showcase gaming instead.
Gaming is just another side feature in the long run imo.

I bought the "Ripped in 30" cheap and really like it. Jillian's Yoga Inferno is free and worthwhile as well.

XBOX fitness is one of my favorite elements of the console--sometimes I wonder why they didn't lean into this harder especially around the holidays.

Sucks that the score tracking is completely fucked as of the last update. The score/timer lags terribly. They're aware of it and working on a fix thankfully -- it's just demoralizing as fuck during the back half of a 30 min workout.

Alx

Good news everyone, I had an update today and the stuttering is apparently gone. :)
The not so good news is that the loading time was indeed longer than usual, but not five minutes long. Anyway the game is playable again for me. :)

Xbox Fitness+Dance Central (or just dance, whichever is your preference)+Shape Up
thats the way to go. lots of fun, good work outs, you will see results if you keep at it

Yup, it's quite impressive how well it works. I was playing just dance the other day, that takes pictures of players for the leaderboards. I was impressed by the difference between my mug shot today and an older capture from a few months ago...

Resseh

I'm thinking of buying an xbone for Xbox fitness. What are the paid apps like?

I saw p90x was £45 - what does that get me? I have the p90x2 set and it's about 10 DVDs worth of content.

Alx

"P90X for Xbox" gives you five specialized routines : upper body, core, legs&core, cardio and fighterX. They're mostly 45-50 minutes, I think one is 30. That's definitely my favorite program of the whole library, very entertaining, satisfying and effective.
You'll need at least an elastic band (you can do everything "isometric" without any accessory but I guess it's not the same). Weights are recommended too, but you can usually replace them with the band. There's no pull-up exercise on Xbox, certainly for practical reasons.

There are also two standalone P90X routines you can purchase, one for shoulders&arms and one for pliometrics. I bought the former which is good too (one hour long) ; it obviously requires dumbbells of different weights, and a chair.

There is an Insanity package that seems content rich too, but I haven't bought it.

Resseh

Thank you. I'm hoping I can do a lot of the exercises but I do suffer from RSI which put an end to me lifting weights last year (still a beginner but was trying :p)

Montresor

I started this a couple of days ago, as I'm really out-of-shape and very unhappy about that. I'm so obsessed with achievements so it feels nice to work out and get achievements at the same time. :p

So far I've worked out via Xbox Fitness on two days. A couple of days ago I did one of the 20-min kickboxing workouts. And yesterday I did one 20-min workout with Russell Wilson (I forget what the workout is called) and then a 10-min aerobics workout. I was tapped out. I'm hoping to consistently use this 3-4 times a week (so every other day).

What's funny to me is Russel Wilson is dripping in sweat at the end of his 20-min workout... he's a $20-million-a-year Super Bowl athlete. So of course I'm going to suffer the same too, lol.

BradC00

Thank you. I'm hoping I can do a lot of the exercises but I do suffer from RSI which put an end to me lifting weights last year (still a beginner but was trying :p)

Check out the xboxfitness reddit. The mods there post a 6 day routine every month for three fitness ranges. They post alternatives to the paid workouts as well if you don't want to buy every routine. I've been doing it for the last two months since I got cleared from ACL surgery and I am seeing results, strength wise and appearance wise.

Alx

Small bump to mention some cool updates for Xbox Fitness, with the addition of leaderboards, and a new MMA workout. That one is rather hard ! There are also new challenges this month attached to that new program.

EBE

thanks for the bump, Alx. been neglecting Xbox Fitness the last month (I rebought a 360 Kinect to play Dance Central 3 and Your Shape).

will give things a spin later tonight

Alx

Yeah it's brutal, especially since it barely gives you any break. I just finish a sequence with crunches on the floor, and you expect me to immediately jump on my feet and start again ? Come on, give me a few seconds... -_-

Alx

Another bump for a new update : a new workout is available for purchase, YO:30, the first training can be tried for free (at least until November 30th). Some related challenges for more stamps are also available.
I gave it a go, it's not bad. More relaxing than most other workouts of course, though a few static positions aren't so easy to hold for a long time. But at least it's a quiet one, There are fewer risks of bothering my neighbours below with jumping and running. :)

Top Bottom