• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass - Includes over 100 Games at Launch, 14 Day Trial (Live Now)

That's a very poor Xbox One launch lineup. A lot of odd omissions.

That said, it's still a fine deal overall. Certainly takes the wind out of EA Access's sails.

AmFreak

My comment is not suggesting that Gold will disappear, only that Silver members could get access to free MP, and focus Gold on other benefits (4 free full games per month, high discounts, etc).

Also, free MP would be a huge hit for sure. That and XPA would be quite strong stimulus for PC folks looking for a console to go Xbox route.
The huge majority of people outside the fanboy-bubble pay because they have to, not because they want to.
+ on PS3 clearly showed that.

mclem

An awful lot of these are ex-GWG, aren't they? Wonder exactly how much overlap there is.

Edit: Actually, perhaps not as many as I thought at first glance? I do keep confusing GWG titles with PS+ ones.

gamz

Whats everyone checking out first?

I'm thinking I give Mad Max, Payday 2 & DMC a go.

Gears 3 and Mad Max. I don't think I even played Gears 3. I lost three years last gen because I had kids and stuff.

Hell, I haven't played a ton of these games...Damn!

I looked over the list and thought - well, alright, a few of these I want. But when I went on my console and looked at everything I ended up queuing like 30 games. There's a ton of good stuff here I don't own, it's mostly indie and retro ports but there's a ton of those. If you want AAA stuff it's slim pickings but honestly I own most of them already as it is and if you like achievements at all this is insanely good value proposition. If you're into indies or XBLA stuff in general definitely try it out.

maxcriden

I want to play Lumo and now I can play it for free since it can likely be beaten within 14 days. I feel kinda bad about that.

pixelation

Okey, score one for Microsoft. The fact that you can download the games instead of streaming them makes this MUCH superior to Playstation's offering (forgot the name)... this is badbutt.

RdN

I think it's a weak list.

Too many 360 games, lots of previous GwG games and few big hitters.

I like the idea, but I don't see myself subscribing right now.

Whats everyone checking out first?

I'm thinking I give Mad Max, Payday 2 & DMC a go.

I'll be looking to play through Shantae, The Swapper, Roundabout, Lumo, Kyub, Pumped BMX and Electronic Super Joy. Basically all the small indie games that I would have previously overlooked and can beat within 14 days. Will probably give Payday 2 and Farming Simulator a go to see if I might want to purchase them in the future.

There's at least 4 games on that list I'd be interested in playing.

The only problem I'm worried about is bandwidth caps, at least with the XB1 games.

Halo 5 is a pretty hefty download, right? Thankfully that's the only XB1 game in that list I'm interested in playing.

I'm not sure what I expected, but that's waaaaaay more 360 games than I would have thought, and many of the big budget Xone games are remasters. I'd maybe do this for two months to poke around at some indies I'm curious about, but there's no way in hell I'd pay for this long-term.

There's at least 4 games on that list I'd be interested in playing.

The only problem I'm worried about is bandwidth caps, at least with the XB1 games.

Halo 5 is a pretty hefty download, right? Thankfully that's the only XB1 game in that list I'm interested in playing.

Yeah, with all of the updates it's received, Halo 5 is about 100 GB now.

krumble

Nice idea, great for those new to Xbox platform also, but having 360 & one for many years I currently have 142 games installed and no way I'll ever have time to play a fraction of the, properly

I like the concept of the service, but man looking at that list of games, it seems like just about all the Xbox 360 games were just on sale for super cheap just days ago in their huge Backwards Compatibility sale. I just counted and 57 of those games were in that sale. Anything I was interested in from the Xbox 360 side, I just picked up for super cheap. It just seems bad timing with that sale and the selection of games for this service.

I'm trying to avoid the bigger games just on the grounds that I'm not sure I can commit to anything. The only one I grabbed was DMC but I wanted BioShock however that, it's sequel and Pac Man CE DX are broken right now so I'll grab those when they're up.

pswii60

That's a really poor selection from third parties for the XBO games. Almost all indies except for DmC. It seems third parties aren't really on board, except for Capcom showing some moderate support.

It's a nice idea, but a poor selection. Given I don't have enough time to play my existing backlog, there isn't much here to entice me.

That's a really poor selection from third parties for the XBO games. Almost all indies except for DmC. It seems third parties aren't really on board, except for Capcom showing some moderate support.

It's a nice idea, but a poor selection. Given I don't have enough time to play my existing backlog, there isn't much here to entice me.

Because everyone is thinking how they can do a service for themself, which I think is to be expected. EA would obviously not be on board, Activision, Ubisoft etc

MS is going to have to come to terms with giving one or some of them significant money if any of them are ever to be fully on board it seems.

Phil was saying how they want good games and even new releases on the service and this is a far cry from being a goat service right now.

Let's see how it is later this year and a year later to see if they get closer to 500 titles and get games on board without losing them. If they do start dropping titles like they said they wouldn't then I'll just buy games on sale and keep them without paying for the service. If it gets better and games really don't leave with new titles coming and staying each month without any fear of them leaving then I will be happy to get the service.

I will get it for sure for a few months on titles I really don't need to keep but may want to try or play through though.

Because everyone is thinking how they can do a service for themself, which I think is to be expected. EA would obviously not be on board, Activision, Ubisoft etc

MS is going to have to come to terms with giving one or some of them significant money if any of them are ever to be fully on board it seems.

Phil was saying how they want good games and even new releases on the service and this is a far cry from being a goat service right now.

Let's see how it is later this year and a year later to see if they get closer to 500 titles and get games on board without losing them. If they do start dropping titles like they said they wouldn't then I'll just buy games on sale and keep them without paying for the service. If it gets better and games really don't leave with new titles coming and staying each month without any fear of them leaving then I will be happy to get the service.

I will get it for sure for a few months on titles I really don't need to keep but may want to try or play through though.

500 titles? lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Daaaamn, that's even more than I thought.

I might just Redbox the disc (if it's even still available on Redbox) since all I care about is the single player and I heard it's not all that long.

That might speed up your download but if you want to play online (co-op, achievements etc) you'll still need to get the extra content.

Hang on a minute... couldn't one just set-up a dummy account to get the 5 day trial and then game-share with your main account. After 5 days, set-up another dummy account and do the same thing. Ad infinitum. No Gold purchase required. Not trying to be an ass here, just saying.

I'm going to ruin it for everyone, aren't I...

If I had an Xbox I would probably sign up for a month and play the five-or-so games I have an interest in and then never touch it again

Seems like an ok deal for that purpose, actually

FinKL

Just signed up for the 14 day trail. Started downloading games, felt like a kid in a candy store lol. Good shit.
Seriously it's a great deal, this is gonna take over Redbox/Rentals I feel (for the places with good internet). I remember spending $10 to rent SNES games over the weekend as a kid, now all you have to do is set the download overnight and drop $10 for the month for unlimited access. Beats buying new games for my future kids!

Chris1

Btw I was correct, the Bioshock games work but you need to install the XB1 version of it.

Not sure what's accurate since XB1 was in preview but full list has the 360 versions.

AmFreak

So then free multiplayer would be such a massive hit.
Again, just like on the PS3.
How many extra sales do you think Ms would get because of free online?
I don't think you realize the absurd amount of money these companies make from pay2play.
A console maker gets ~$10 for every retail game sold.
Most consoles hover around 10 games sold per owner, so that is $100 per console owner per gen from software licenses.
$100 or ~2 years of an online sub.
Meaning if you subscribe for the entire console gen (6 years), without ever buying anything, the money they got from you is already equal to the money they got from the avg. ps1, ps2 and ps3 owner added together(!)
Bottom line is that no console maker will ever turn the clock back on pay2play without having a very very good reason (desperation) to do so.

500 titles? lol

500 titles is lol out of what could potentially easily be 2000 plus?

Pretty sure psnow has well near that.... maybe you should reconsider your laughing?

I am not making this a comparison for the sake of comparison but As of March 2017, there are 483 games on psnow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Now_games

I just don't get where 500 is lol worthy for this xbox service.... care to explain?

Top Bottom