• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass - Includes over 100 Games at Launch, 14 Day Trial (Live Now)

Oynox

Great service though the selection is not very appealing to me. Also, I think it is a bit strange that 360 titles outweight One titles... as soon as this shifts I might subscribe to the service.

Right now I am only really interested in Mad Max. Some titles might be worth a look as well but nothing I would subscribe for I think.

PS Now has 370 from what I can see?

And it has a massive catalogue to choose from.

so, where is itl funny to want this service to be near 500 or even a lot more?

Do we get netflix with the idea of wanting a super limited amount of shows/movies?

If I play on xbox, nintendo or a sony service I would actually want their service to include every game their box can play to be frank. It isn't that it is funny or impossible. People only play a limited amount of games anyways. I would stick to destiny and or certain titles and may never touch the full list of games. 500 isn't really something that is anywhere near impossible and I think he was completely off base in his logic and lol.

500 titles gives a broader range of appeal and customer range as well while bringing in a lot of revenue. Besides... I think their real plan is to make games free t (atleast through this service) and fill them with Halo like MT anyways. Free to play has been something that has always done well so while having a sub isn't exactly cheap, it does bring in a lot of possibilities for revenue and nickle and possibly bringing in a lot more money. I don't really like the idea of games being like this honestly but with the way people like to spend a little which adds up to a lot more overall,it could work for what they want it to. I think the Halo thing making more than any other DLC sort of got them looking at it as well. Seems like a win win if they ever get to their plan which IMO is they want every box owner to be a subscriber. But, that won't happen with these titles for now.

Upinsmoke

Those games just either don't appeal to me or the bigger titles i've played them over a year ago at least. Why not trim down the games and put some newer shit in there.

Hexer06

Pretty good starting selection. I thought for sure this was gonna be an "available now" thing at E3. Microsoft must have something pretty big in store. Can't wait! :D

farisr

This seems perfect for folks who skip out on games they're interested in over the years and would have some time to play.

For me though, it seems like I've already played any games I had a slight interest in that are provided via this, and the rest of the stuff I would not even try out even while having access to it. (And I'm one of those folks who rarely has an issue with GWG or PS+ monthly offerings). I was honestly expecting to be tempted by their offerings in one way or another, but if the selection stays like this, I guess, good for me for not having that temptation. Makes things easier.

Chris1

so, where is itl funny to want this service to be near 500 or even a lot more?

Do we get netflix with the idea of wanting a super limited amount of shows/movies?

If I play on xbox, nintendo or a sony service I would actually want their service to include every game their box can play to be frank. It isn't that it is funny or impossible. People only play a limited amount of games anyways. I would stick to destiny and or certain titles and may never touch the full list of games. 500 isn't really something that is anywhere near impossible and I think he was completely off base in his logic and lol.

500 titles gives a broader range of appeal and customer range as well while bringing in a lot of revenue. Besides... I think their real plan is to make games free t (atleast through this service) and fill them with Halo like MT anyways. Free to play has been something that has always done well so while having a sub isn't exactly cheap, it does bring in a lot of possibilities for revenue and nickle and possibly bringing in a lot more money. I don't really like the idea of games being like this honestly but with the way people like to spend a little which adds up to a lot more overall,it could work for what they want it to. I think the Halo thing making more than any other DLC sort of got them looking at it as well. Seems like a win win if they ever get to their plan which IMO is they want every box owner to be a subscriber. But, that won't happen with these titles for now.

~2,219 3+ year old games vs. ~1550 (1.2k of which <3years)
$19.99 vs $9.99

you expect Xbox's game pass to have 130 more games than PS now, while being half the price, with 700 less games to choose from, with the vast majority of them being far newer?

sounds like a reasonable expectation, i agree 100%.

Gowans

Yeah I don't think the current library is for us, looks like MS is holding a few of their titles back for the coming months too.

Not as clear of a blind recommend as EA Access yet

Chris1

I'm sure there will be games that come and go each month, but I don't know if they've stated they will update every single month. I still think it's a good list to start.

"
Always something new to play
Play games across multiple genres, from action/adventure and family favorites to shooters, sports, puzzle games, and more. And with new titles added every month, you’ll always have a wide selection of great games to choose from."

Hexer06

"
Always something new to play
Play games across multiple genres, from action/adventure and family favorites to shooters, sports, puzzle games, and more. And with new titles added every month, you’ll always have a wide selection of great games to choose from."

Well there it is lol. Man, it's gonna be tough for them to have new games come every month, on top of doing games with gold, and still get ppl to buy games on sale. I'm wondering if now everyone is gonna just say "I'll wait for it to go on Game Pass." instead of buying it on sale or something. The whole reason I didn't go crazy with the backwards compatibility sale was exactly cuz of game pass lol. I'm curious to see how this works out for Microsoft.

It's a good start for sure i'd say and aren't they going to be updating it monthly?
I feel like you should come out guns blazing when you start with a new type of service like this. At the very least, include a large number of relatively recent first-party titles. Forza Horizon 2, maybe even Gears 4.

I feel like you should come out guns blazing when you start with a new type of service like this. At the very least, include a large number of relatively recent first-party titles. Forza Horizon 2, maybe even Gears 4.

So...people can stop purchasing games? Gears 4 came out late last year.

There's has to be a balance. Not saying the list is perfect but let's be realistic people.

Can somebody please explain the 30 days bit to me?

Not sure If I'm understanding it right.

Does it mean that once I download a game I only have 30 days to play it and then after that 30 day period I have to buy it?

I'm a bit confused.

Can somebody please explain the 30 days bit to me?

Not sure If I'm understanding it right.

Does it mean that once I download a game I only have 30 days to play it and then after that 30 day period I have to buy it?

I'm a bit confused.
You can play any downloaded game without accessing the internet for 30 days.

And basically there is a rotating selection of games on the service, so it means when a game is deleted from the service you'll only have it for another 30 days.

Chris1

Dunno about your games but they could have put Minecraft, Recore, QB, Ori and maybe some third party games like Rocket League at least. All pretty cheap/old and would increase the value a lot.

There isn't even a single telltale game on it which is weird considering Phil's comments about episodic gaming.

Idk.. Maybe this game pass just isn't for people like us lol

You can play any downloaded game without accessing the internet for 30 days.

And basically there is a rotating selection of games on the service, so it means when a game is deleted from the service you'll only have it for another 30 days.

Ah! It's just 30 days offline play.

Got it. My mistake.

That makes a lot more sense. So as long as the game is on the service I can play it anytime and for any amount of days.

borges

Banned
Again, just like on the PS3.
How many extra sales do you think Ms would get because of free online?
I don't think you realize the absurd amount of money these companies make from pay2play.
A console maker gets ~$10 for every retail game sold.
Most consoles hover around 10 games sold per owner, so that is $100 per console owner per gen from software licenses.
$100 or ~2 years of an online sub.
Meaning if you subscribe for the entire console gen (6 years), without ever buying anything, the money they got from you is already equal to the money they got from the avg. ps1, ps2 and ps3 owner added together(!)
Bottom line is that no console maker will ever turn the clock back on pay2play without having a very very good reason (desperation) to do so.

I do, but my theory is that Gold wont get hurt much if MP is free for all. I might be wrong, as you pointed and suggested based on what happened on PS3, but I think that 4 free games + a large amount of game pass like list of available games + huge discounts will keep Gold value high.

how do i download the 360 versions of bioshock 1 and 2 every time i click it, i dont see a button that says install :/ the only thing i see is check price and when i click on that it it says buy for $19.99

I do, but my theory is that Gold wont get hurt much if MP is free for all. I might be wrong, as you pointed and suggested based on what happened on PS3, but I think that 4 free games + a large amount of game pass like list of available games + huge discounts will keep Gold value high.

There is no value high enough to offset mandatory and no amount of good PR will make up for the millions in lost revenue.

At the end of the day these are companies out to make as much money as they can so unless free multiplayer will make more people sign up to XBL it's a silly decision.

Chris1

how do i download the 360 versions of bioshock 1 and 2 every time i click it, i dont see a button that says install :/ the only thing i see is check price and when i click on that it it says buy for $19.99
Download the Xbox one version that works. Not sure which is supposed to be on game pass

Gowans

Yeah that's weird, Bioshock 1 & 2 for the Xbox one have the Game Pass Licenece but the 360 ones are shown on the store/collection pages

Infinite is the 360 licence tho

Gowans

So the publishers ive clocked on here are

- Microsoft Studios
- ID@Xbox Indies
- 2K Games
- Capcom
- Warner Brothers
- 505 Games
- Deep Silver
- SEGA

I'll add to the op but anyone I've missed?

Incredible value for a new Xbox One owner.

Great price point and a solid selection of games.

As an Xbox Live subscriber for some time, I've got a fair chunk of them for 'free' previously. Some of the other titles I've got already having purchased.

Even so I am tempted to subscribe. I really want this to be a success as it fits with my gaming needs. There are only a few 'day one' games I buy now and most I'll wait for a sale.

I mean in the UK for under £100 a year... You get that many games. Incredible value.

~2,219 3+ year old games vs. ~1550 (1.2k of which <3years)
$19.99 vs $9.99

you expect Xbox's game pass to have 130 more games than PS now, while being half the price, with 700 less games to choose from, with the vast majority of them being far newer?

sounds like a reasonable expectation, i agree 100%.

Don't think it works this way.

Anyways, they are playing it safe to see how many people buy, play and don't sub back

Why does the price have to be the same as plus to have equal amount of games, where do you come up with this having to play out this way? I'd think this solution is possibly cheaper for MS as well and they didn't spend the amount of money sony paid to buy the service. (not that I care about that) even without all that... I don't think there is an issue having 500 titles into late next year if they are serious about this. I also said it would be fine to have a higher tier for a lot more games (15 a month) but that does have some issues that come into play with having a two tier system. Up to them to see what works best I guess but as far as I can see right now they aren't hitting it hard day one.

Dunno about your games but they could have put Minecraft, Recore, QB, Ori and maybe some third party games like Rocket League at least. All pretty cheap/old and would increase the value a lot.

There isn't even a single telltale game on it which is weird considering Phil's comments about episodic gaming.

Idk.. Maybe this game pass just isn't for people like us lol
So...people can stop purchasing games? Gears 4 came out late last year.

There's has to be a balance. Not saying the list is perfect but let's be realistic people.
Some of those games in the top post along with the aforementioned Forza Horizon 2 is pretty realistic.

Microsoft as a publisher isn't bringing all that much to the table here. I think they should have brought more of their AAA titles.

Some of those games in the top post along with the aforementioned Forza Horizon 2 is pretty realistic.

Microsoft as a publisher isn't bringing all that much to the table here. I think they should have brought more of their AAA titles.

It's realistic to want because consumers always want more for less but I don't think it makes much sense from a business perspective. Especially to launch with.

Games that are still bringing in decent to moderate revenue are probably not going to be on there. Also, they have to save some games to rotate out and that allows those games to get to the point where the revenue stream makes sense to put in the Game Pass.

It's realistic to want because consumers always want more for less but I don't think it makes much sense from a business perspective. Especially to launch with.

Games that are still bringing in decent to moderate revenue are probably not going to be on there. Also, they have to save some games to rotate out and that allows those games to get to the point where the revenue stream makes sense to put in the Game Pass.
It doesn't inspire confidence, though. With a great, ballsy move like this subscription service, it shouldn't feel so half-assed.

Goalus

Depending on how much money they make per subscription it might make sense to offer an Xbox One for like $50 along with a 2-year Game Pass contract. This way, new users can get the hardware for cheap and have a ton of games available right away.

It might make sense to offer an Xbox One for $50 along with a 2-year Game Pass contract. This way, new users can get the hardware for cheap and have a ton of games available right away.
The way the wind is blowing, surely

It will likely launch on PC next year or so

I think what would really push this service forward would be putting in on PC like EA Access, but like an official 360 emulator with proper support. I'd love to be able to pay for this service, play Lost Odyssey on my 360, then carry on with it on PC. The ability to just pick up and play on multiple platforms is something Spencer has been talking about for years, so this would be a big step towards that.

Chris1

Different opinions and all that.

Looks pretty good to me. If the selection doesn't appeal to (general) you then it's probably because you are not who it's designed for.
From Reddit:
112 games total
72 360 games
40 Xbox One games
32 have been games with gold or free promotional titles (eg. gears collection with gears 4, Tekken tag tournament 2 being free for E3 week 2016)
5 are HD remaster/re-releases (Megaman collection, Gears 1 definitive edition etc.)
It's a good selection of games but if you've already gotten every GwG etc it loses a third of its games really. But GwG's and stuff being on it was to be expected I guess.. so dunno lol

Another thing is they didn't put any kinect games... It's not like anyone is buying them (or even using kinect any more lol), could have at least tossed us Kinect suckers a bone.

Not to sound negative cause there are some games I'll play for sure but I really can't see myself subscribing after a month unless there's some serious additions. I think that's where most people who are let down with it come from

Top Bottom