• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is really nailing it with nice features to play with randoms this gen

Sony

Nintendo
The service updates for Xbox One since launch have been really great. Never thought I would value OS and Services in a games console, but MS is doing a great job.

Archpath1

It's definitely neeed for keeping communities alive once players jump ship for other games.

LFG is great
Club LFG also show up on guide to

iMax

Every few days I see people praising this feature too the moon while I sit here like this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and think, wait, PS4 has something like this, the community feature, for almost 2 years now.
Why is everyone acting like Microsoft invented the wheel?
Or what did I not get here?

PS4 does have Communities but—as far as I've understood using it—is more the equivalent of Xbox Clubs, i.e. for finding games and communicating with like-minded people within predefined communities you're already in.

LFG is more for playing with randoms, like people used to do with DestinyLFG; for finding players to get an achievement done, or to complete a raid, etc... plus, it's baked into the OS, which is fantastic—makes for a very streamlined experience.

Yep, Microsoft has been absolutely killing it with their software features this gen. They also said they have some unannounced features coming soon to XBL as well and I can't even imagine what they could be.

Sounds like making an event.

Events will even boot up the PS4 and automatically put you in the game (if you choose).

These can be posted in communities, in messages, on your wall, to a party... Basically in any social section on the system.

Events are also used for the officially sponsored tournaments that are always running.

All baked into the OS.

Theorry

Sounds like making an event.

Events will even boot up the PS4 and automatically put you in the game (if you choose).

These can be posted in communities, in messages, on your wall, to a party... Basically in any social section on the system.

Events are also used for the officially sponsored tournaments that are always running.

All baked into the OS.

You are abit late to the party. ;)

Pjsprojects

LFG is the one thing that made me start playing Destiny 1 on Xbox and is the one thing that makes me want Destiny 2 only on Xbox.

I have it pre ordered on all three but with the amount of time the game demands I will drop two after the beta's.

The other minor thing is the DS4 makes my hand ache after a couple of hours which is odd.

Lfg has been such an amazing addition. MS is just killing it with features this gen. When gears 4 came out I could never find random who would do all 50 waves of gears 4 horde. Every timed I have used lfg I have gotten good groups that stay the whole time. It is shocking how different the players you get from lfg are compared to randoms.

What's party overlay?
When you are in a party you can set up an overlay (think the pip feature from some TVs) to show who is talking, which is specially useful when you are in a group with people that you can't recognize by voice.

You can place the overlay where you want and set up a transparent level to not get in the way of the game.

Theorry

Lfg has been such an amazing addition. MS is just killing it with features this gen. When gears 4 came out I could never find random who would do all 50 waves of gears 4 horde. Every timed I have used lfg I have gotten good groups that stay the whole time. It is shocking how different the players you get from lfg are compared to randoms.

There is more a "will" to play really. I mean if you bother to make a post or search LFG you tend to be more invested in about what you are gonna do. Instead of clicking one button for matchmaking. There is a less of a feeling there so you tend to bail easier also then. Thats why i always said matchmaking for Destiny Raids would be a bad idea and a LFG kind of thing would be better.

VeeP

I saw this video before posting, but I mean... It's almost the same (to me), on PS4 anyone can create a "community" (yes a "club") and can add whatever tags he/she wants, you can post in a community, for exemple the "Overwatch blabla community", say that you're searching for gamers to play with/without mic, etc, that you created an open party, and anyone interested can join.
So yeah, I honestly find it hard to see big differences here. ;)

I think the difference is probably in the visibility. LFG can really get a match going on with in minutes. Communities and Clubs, at least in my experience, aren't nearly as quick.

But you seem to have both consoles. Instead of watching a video, why not do a test? Get a similar population game on both consoles, I guess Uncharted and Halo/Gears, and do a test with Community and LFG.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Highly, highly underrated feature which direcrly solves the problem of having to depend on terrible random teammates in games.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Party overlay is when you can see who is in your party and who is talking, in-game.

Does it just place it in a corner or is it dynamic and puts a little speaker next to player names/models?

Cool feature, regardless.

Sony

Nintendo
Does it just place it in a corner or is it dynamic and puts a little speaker next to player names/models?

Cool feature, regardless.

You can choose from 8 placement options on screen. It's gamertag + speaker icon. You can also adjust the transparancy.

Having party overlay is great. Snapping a party was great when raiding with new people in Destiny 'back in the day'. Party overlay is same, except better.

AlexBasch

Gonna try this as soon I get home, if I can get a group together that agree on not-using-mics, it might get me into finally playing Destiny, haha.

Used LFG to find a third player for MyPark on NBA 2K17. Ended up in a party with a kid who sounded 12 years old and had to find a way to gracefully leave after a couple of games and ignore his party invites for the rest of the evening.

But yeah, it was ridiculously easy to find players looking for a game and I'll definitely be using it more in future for all kinds of games. It's going to be invaluable for older games and those with smaller communities.

I've been trying to find a raid group for Destiny using the lfg sites, with no luck at all since I haven't done them yet.. never occurred to me to try this feature out instead, will be giving it a shot tonight, going to be pretty excited it it works out.

Theswweet

The one time that I used LFG it was a great experience, in fact it was good enough that if I didn't have friends that want to play Monster Hunter World with my on PS4 I might've decided to pick up the game on Xbox instead.

JayDub

I'm a bit intimidated by this feature. I view it as people who are good, looking for other like skilled players. I'm just an average player on a great day, and can listen and execute when someone gives instructions.

Now, I can always put up an LFG. But I'm intimidated to join one. Don't want to be a burden or ruin anyone else's experience.

Trup1aya

I'm a bit intimidated by this feature. I view it as people who are good, looking for other like skilled players. I'm just an average player on a great day, and can listen and execute when someone gives instructions.

Now, I can always put up an LFG. But I'm intimidated to join one. Don't want to be a burden or ruin anyone else's experience.

Just specify what skill level you are looking for and its all good.

Hardvlade

Yup, used it before for Destiny, Overwatch and for Attack on Titan (impossible to play with people otherwise) and party overlay is fantastic as well.

Hardvlade

I need to see a pic of this.

maxresdefault.jpg

leeh

Yeah, love LFG. Me and mates have used it when we have like a 4 man squad on Overwatch and we're tired of randoms picking Hanzo.

We've met some great people through it! Its a game changing feature IMO for online.

It's actually brought back pre-party XBL in a better way!

17 posts in.

I was waiting the "meh" comment to show up.
NeoGAF never fails.

PS. Community is like Xboxs Clubs or Game Hub activity feed.....LFG is different.

On Topic
A way out and Sea of Thieves will be saved by this feature and party overlay

I wish this was a thing when i was still into Destiny would have made life so much easier for me cuz i was always changing timezones so friends would be on at erratic times.

Seriously it didn't take long for a Sony bro to come in and compare different services. The shit posting on Gaf towards anything positive for MS is just unmeasurable. I can't imagine all the threads coming by this Christmas about how much better multiplatform games perform on the XOX and the defense force for Sony having to swallow the actual results.

Anyway LFG was great when I used it for Destiny Nightfall and Raid runs. I got groups filled in two minutes or so.

Well, shit, I KNEW I recognised this thread from somewhere

We had almost the exact same OP only three months ago.

"Looking for Group" is a recent feature on Xbox that lets you make posts looking for people to play with.

For example, I've been playing tons of Gears Of War 4 Horde lately... and I've pulled off 50 consecutive waves TWELVE times in the past two weeks, with 5-man groups that all have microphones, just based off finding randoms via "Looking for Group".

I guess you took Montresor's comment about making more noise about it to heart, eh ;)

The shit posting on Gaf towards anything positive for MS is just unmeasurable

Also this made me laugh

Anion

After reading this thread, I feel like I need to use this feature asap...omg I can actively talk with people playing Forza rather than hope I get into a lobby where people have mics

WhatNXt

Don't have an XBO but this sounds really nice

Feel like playing on PS4 without friends / people I know is much more likely to be a silent affair in most games. Features like this are the future.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
After reading this thread, I feel like I need to use this feature asap...omg I can actively talk with people playing Forza rather than hope I get into a lobby where people have mics

Ohh yeah.
Set it to have mics only and youll be having a blast finally feeling like you are playing with real people.

Also so far pretty much everyone who answers the LFG calls understand what they are getting into and play props.
Even when you put in silly stipulations.

Got a guy who needed an Engineer in BF4 to fix his little bird...i was like fuck yeah, i can finally unlock the damn UMP 9 and he gets whatever he was hunting for at the same time.
Whenever one of us got the little bird we'd call for the other and swap seats if i was pilot.
Worked like a charm he got a ridiculous streak going.

Top Bottom