• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Account Hacked :sadface

Satchel

Banned
After all this FIFA stuff I went and removed my credit card for 2 of my 3 accounts, and turned off auto-renew for my main one.

But yeah I was going to remove the credit card for my main one which seemed easy enough, she said she'd give me a pre-paid code from 2 years worth of live (I had 11 months left) and then she'd cancel my gold, remove the card, and the I use the code.

For some reason, I decided to leave the card on there. I have my AMEX on PSN too. I know I should take them both off, but something keeps them there.

I'm sick I guess.

Vamphuntr

Just turned auto-renew off. It won't let me remove my card though. My gold sub is expiring soon so I guess I will be able to remove it when it reverts back to a silver account? Terrible system if they won't let you remove your card after you already paid.

Something fishy is also going on with all those hacks. They should really only allow content to be bought on the console the account was created and not through xbox.com. They already have your serial number so they could tie it to your account. It would let people bring their profile to tournaments/friends and preventing thiefs from buying stuff on it.

Tomasooie

DR3AM said:
can someone tell me what the deal with fifa is?
Reposting this for the new page (FIFA stuff is at the end of my post):

toythatkills said:
There's not really anything to say. As many cases as there may be, they're all still isolated. If Microsoft doesn't know where the breach is, what are they gonna announce?

"Hey guys, a bunch of people got phished somehow or other, erm, well, that's all we've got."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...becomes-maddening.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

The community manager at Activision had his account hacked, as well as others in the industry. Element here on GAF, who used to work for Microsoft, had his account hacked with no idea how it happened.

In fact, a lot of the people have said that they practice safe computer security (complex passwords, never opening untrusted sites/emails). A few have even said that they've never even used their Windows Live ID on anything other than the Xbox itself.

There's definitely something different about this series of hacks. I don't think it's FIFA or EA though. That must just be an endpoint that has spread amongst the account thieves because of how easy it is to just sell the FIFA content for real money on eBay (or other sites).

cgcg said:
lol "advisable to pipe down?" Is it part of your job qualification to be a complete retard? Did I make any outrageous claims. All I said is that people's getting their money stolen on Microsoft's service. That's a fact. Guess what genius, when people are stealing your customers' money on your watch you have to first publicly acknowledge that and do something about it. It doesn't matter how the theft occurred. It is your responsibility to make sure it doesn't continue to happen. It's pathetic this has been going on for months.

I don't know if you have figure this simple part out yet, but when your customers' money is getting stolen left and right, it is your problem.

I was joking about the speedy PR response part but I guess you do fit the bill. Why don't you pipe down speedy gonzalez. You may or may not work for MS but you sure are acting like a PR tool here.

Are MS not refunding any stolen monies? Are they not letting people keep said illegally purchased points after said refund? Are they not giving out compensation in the form of free XBLG?

You keep saying they have to publicly acknowledge it but what would they say and how would they allay people's fears if they themselves don't yet know the source of the leak beyond the fact that it's not on their end.

As I keep saying, they can't be held responsible for issues that happen outside of their control. They can't be blamed if a third party leaks your info or stupidly hands over your details and someone uses those details to clear out your account or buy points illegally. Just like a bank can't be held responsible if a third party leaks your CC details and they are used to go on a thousand pound spending spree.

As with the bank, all they can do is clean up the mess, which is exactly what they have been doing. Unless the 'leak' is with MS, they cannot, in any way, shape or form be held accountable for the current spate of breached accounts.

Do you know what concrete info we do have? That EA is implicitly involved in this current breach, you only need to look at what people are buying when they illegally access accounts. There's a very obvious sign that EA are, in all likelihood, to blame and yet people continue to ignore this blatant link and blame MS.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Vamphuntr said:
Just turned auto-renew off. It won't let me remove my card though. My gold sub is expiring soon so I guess I will be able to remove it when it reverts back to a silver account? Terrible system if they won't let you remove your card after you already paid.

Something fishy is also going on with all those hacks. They should really only allow content to be bought on the console the account was created and not through xbox.com. They already have your serial number so they could tie it to your account. It would let people bring their profile to tournaments/friends and preventing thiefs from buying stuff on it.

I was able to remove CC info after gold expired.

It was relatively simple, if I remember right.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Harry Potter said:
2 months and your account is still locked?

Oh, I'm sorry, it actually never got to that point with me. I seemed to have been an early case where they weren't automatically locking accounts.

I had a horrible experience with my last calls so I am in no hurry to call them up, especially since my account is still accessible by me.

I just worry about them closing my account because of the dispute I did through my bank since all that crap the scammer bought is still on my account. I really should call them, but god they piss me off.

Vamphuntr said:

A very, very good point. Why MS don't already do this is baffling. This would be beyond the two step method and would make illegal purchases or illegal access to someone else's account all but impossible.

I really do think we need to take some action regarding this. Perhaps mass emailing MS to change their log-on requirements so if your console ID doesn't match the registered one when you log in, your account is temporarily frozen until you enter some personal info via the site.

piotr47

Banned
My account was hacked 4 or 5 hours ago... i received mails about 2 x 2000 pts. Couldn't access my account, I've changed the password, but I still got 2 x 24€, by CB...

Called the bank, deleted my CC, but damned, I'm so pissed. It was 7 Pm when I found this, so I can call Microsoft. I will tomorow...

cgcg

Speedymanic said:
You keep saying they have to publicly acknowledge it but what would they say and how would they allay people's fears if they themselves don't yet know the source of the leak beyond the fact that it's not on their end.

lol how about warning your customer about the theft and they are working on a solution? It is a security breach whether you like to pretend or not. How about shutting down the offending service be it their own or third party. How about putting your customers' financial security first? So you really think taking upto a month to resolve these theft case by base is fine with the customers? I see a lot of people are complaining about this here.

This is same company lied about the high defect rate for well over a year. Yea just because MS said it isn't....right.

EA also denied involvement. Why didn't you believe them over MS? You know what else is consistent here? That's right people getting their money stolen from their XBOX LIVE accounts. Not EA Live.

These same EA games are on other platforms as well yet we haven't heard similar stories there. Why is that?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really think someone ought to create a "Xbox Acc. Hacked" thread and see how many GAFfers have been affected so far...it seems like quite a bit. Plus the OP can have some security tips and links.

edit: I'd do it but I don't have a 360, so it would be kinda weird. :p

Pug

My account got hacked on thursday, they nicked all my points, about 30 pounds worth and purchased more points. It going to take at least 3 weeks for them to sort it apparently. Customer support asked me if id been playing Fifa straight off, i havent. The only games ive been are gears 3 Rage and Forza.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Pug said:
My account got hacked on thursday, they nicked all my points, about 30 pounds worth and purchased more points. It going to take at least 3 weeks for them to sort it apparently. Customer support asked me if id been playing Fifa straight off, i havent. The only games ive been are gears 3 Rage and Forza.

Odd, I remembered other two hacked accounts that played Forza but I could be wrong.

Mine was hacked last Friday for $120 worth of something. Got an email, called MS and called my CC to dispute the charges. Never played fifa.

It sounds like theres been a lot of this lately? Its discouraging to know that these asshats probably wont be caught.

Thoraxes

PistolPete said:
Mine was hacked last Friday for $120 worth of something. Got an email, called MS and called my CC to dispute the charges. Never played fifa.

It sounds like theres been a lot of this lately? Its discouraging to know that these asshats probably wont be caught.
Ignore MS after you report it to them and go straight to your bank.

MS will take their sweet-ass time and practically not give you your money back unless you bitch like twice a day for it to get fixed. I gave them more than a month to give me my money back, and not once did I get my refund. My bank fixed all of this in the course of a 15-minute visit.

You bank will bug the shit out of them for you and refund your money near instantly while they get on MS's ass for you. So quick and painless.

PistolPete said:

$120 is the same amount they got me for. Never played Fifa also.

At this point more people have probably gotten their CC info stolen and USED than in the PS3 hacking event earlier in the year. I never keep my info on anything, doesn't seem worth it.

MTMBStudios said:
At this point more people have probably gotten their CC info stolen and USED than in the PS3 hacking event earlier in the year. I never keep my info on anything, doesn't seem worth it.
Yay for Sony?

Massa

DR3AM said:
can someone tell me what the deal with fifa is?

FIFA created a marketplace that makes it easy to sell off items from hacked accounts without getting caught by Microsoft.

Normally if you hacked an account Microsoft would ban or disable it, so the idea of hacking an account to buy a bunch of games didn't really work. With FIFA people will buy a bunch of stuff and sell them to other Xbox Live users; before Microsoft has a chance to cancel that transaction the item already changed hands and the hacker already made money.

The process of hacking an account has nothing to do with FIFA or EA. Making money from hacked accounts is where FIFA enters the picture.

upJTboogie said:
This is insane, new victims everyday and nothing seems to be happening to prevent this.

In all honesty I was surprised with how little customer support was willing to do to make the whole experience less annoying.

Yeah, they gave me a month of live free (that I have to create a new account for because my normal one is now locked until their investigation is done), but MONEY was stolen out of my bank account.

Frankly, this affects me very little luckily. I can use my Wii for Netflix and I have the money in my account to cover the 70+ dollars until I get refunded. But this is a serious issue. Why is no one talking about this?

Just because people are mentioning PS3 in this thread, is there some difference in the way that PSN accounts connect with EA accounts compared to how Xbox Live works?

Has this info been posted?

I was able to remove my only CC off my Xbox account months back by going into Account Settings on xbox.com, and changing my info to reflect an Illinois address. From there, you are able to remove your credit card(s).

Ignore if this has been posted. I'll try to dig up more info about it.

TheLastCandle said:
In all honesty I was surprised with how little customer support was willing to do to make the whole experience less annoying.

Yeah, they gave me a month of live free (that I have to create a new account for because my normal one is now locked until their investigation is done), but MONEY was stolen out of my bank account.
You're lucky that you got a month. I was told I couldn't get one because the didn't have enough info to verify that I was who I said I was over the phone. If I do get refunded/compensated, it'll be after the investigation.

TheLastCandle said:
Frankly, this affects me very little luckily. I can use my Wii for Netflix and I have the money in my account to cover the 70+ dollars until I get refunded. But this is a serious issue. Why is no one talking about this?
I wish more people were making noise about this.

You guys might want to join this newer thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451055

Massa said:
The process of hacking an account has nothing to do with FIFA or EA. Making money from hacked accounts is where FIFA enters the picture.
Actually there are a lot of suggestions that EA is totally to blame for this, thanks to a massive security hole in their website.

Not sure if it's actually true, but people are claiming such.

Top Bottom